Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have the government failed? 08:00 - Apr 27 with 27652 viewsRiscaJack

Can the more educated posters on this forum give me some opinions on this?

For me it looks like a complete disgrace from the start, no leadership, promises not kept, flights still coming into country from badly hit parts of world, using the excuse of "scientific advice" for not postponing the likes of Cheltenham Festival, Liverpool v Madrid, music gigs. We watched what was happening in Italy, I just can't find any excuses for them.

JENKINS OUT

Have the government failed? on 23:09 - May 3 with 641 viewsBanosswan

Have the government failed? on 22:35 - May 3 by A_Fans_Dad

For those with hayfever buy an Oximeter to check your Oxygen levels, that will tell you if you are losing Oxygen due to COVID-19 or pneumonia.

No! Cheap pulse oximeters vary a lot in their efficacy. They can be handy for checking day to day variation within a limited range, but using them to self diagnose is not the way forward with covid!

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Have the government failed? on 23:15 - May 3 with 635 viewsbuilthjack

They have failed in their guidance.
Example-
One can drive to B&Q, our nearest is one hour away. One can queue for an hour, and mingle in there.
Yet one can't go out on a little local walk twice a day.

Just one example of many.

Poll: Birch - Would you trust him ?

Have the government failed? on 23:54 - May 3 with 602 viewsploppy

Have the government failed? on 22:26 - May 3 by Banosswan

Which trees? Birch pollen can be very different to oak or alder pollen by date. Have you had a skin prick or RAST test to identify the individual pollens?

Here's one for you, in case you're knowledgeable in this area. Like I said, about 20 years ago, the hayfever which I'd had since a teenager started changing from most severe in early summer (Wimbledon time - these were grass allergies for which I was properly diagnosed) to a spring time allergy which I have assumed to be tree pollen but haven't been tested for. In addition, I started getting allergic reactions to some fruit during these Spring periods, especially Fuji apples - tingling mouth and slight throat swelling (nothing serious but would last about 20mins). Never had these fruit allergies during my younger years. I did some research at the time, and apparently there's some relation between apple/fruit allergies and tree pollen allergies (especially birch, I think) i.e. there's something in the fruit that the body mistakes for tree pollen (not surprising maybe, since they grow on trees) - hence the allergic reaction. It's called Oral Allergy Syndrome. Anyone else with tree pollen allergies get these OAS reactions?

PS, this is not the fault of this government nor of previous governments.
Have the government failed? on 08:29 - May 4 with 543 viewskarnataka

Have the government failed? on 23:54 - May 3 by ploppy

Here's one for you, in case you're knowledgeable in this area. Like I said, about 20 years ago, the hayfever which I'd had since a teenager started changing from most severe in early summer (Wimbledon time - these were grass allergies for which I was properly diagnosed) to a spring time allergy which I have assumed to be tree pollen but haven't been tested for. In addition, I started getting allergic reactions to some fruit during these Spring periods, especially Fuji apples - tingling mouth and slight throat swelling (nothing serious but would last about 20mins). Never had these fruit allergies during my younger years. I did some research at the time, and apparently there's some relation between apple/fruit allergies and tree pollen allergies (especially birch, I think) i.e. there's something in the fruit that the body mistakes for tree pollen (not surprising maybe, since they grow on trees) - hence the allergic reaction. It's called Oral Allergy Syndrome. Anyone else with tree pollen allergies get these OAS reactions?

PS, this is not the fault of this government nor of previous governments.

That's interesting. I'd never had a problem with hay fever until my wife & I lived in Shropshire 1990-2004 and the area where we lived was a spectacular carpet of bright yellow oil seed rape fields during May and that's what started mine and I suffered quite badly on occasion getting splitting headaches every time I went out cycling in addition to the sneezing and runny nose but not a cough. After we moved to Somerset in 04 where there is almost no oil seed rape, my hay fever was quite different and always included a chesty cough and always started a few weeks earlier in April and did again this year. However, the cough has been far more persistent this time than previous years and reading your references to apples had made me realise that I've eaten an apple almost every day since lockdown started whereas I probably only had 1 or 2 a month usually as I prefer other fruits. Might stop and see if the cough clears up so thanks for the tip.
Have the government failed? on 10:52 - May 4 with 487 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Have the government failed? on 23:09 - May 3 by Banosswan

No! Cheap pulse oximeters vary a lot in their efficacy. They can be handy for checking day to day variation within a limited range, but using them to self diagnose is not the way forward with covid!

No point in arguing with me, tell it to the doctors that recommend it.
Dr Ellie Cannon in the UK and Dr Levitan in New York City.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8280415/DR-ELLIE-CANNON-20-gadget-no-

http://joannenova.com.au/2020/05/mysterious-amazingly-low-oxygen-levels-how-puls
Have the government failed? on 11:00 - May 4 with 476 viewsHighjack

Have the government failed? on 23:15 - May 3 by builthjack

Example-
One can drive to B&Q, our nearest is one hour away. One can queue for an hour, and mingle in there.

Yeah the ‘lockdown’ has been a joke from the start. We’ve just been stuck in a sort of halfway house where we everyone has to stay in, but everyone also can go out for several frivolous reasons.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: The official planetswans European election poll. Your vote goes to?

Have the government failed? on 11:24 - May 4 with 461 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Have the government failed? on 11:00 - May 4 by Highjack

Yeah the ‘lockdown’ has been a joke from the start. We’ve just been stuck in a sort of halfway house where we everyone has to stay in, but everyone also can go out for several frivolous reasons.

Yes, another mistake, fresh air and sunshine, especially the sunshine is good for everybody.
Being stuck in doors if you do not have a garden to get out in, is not good for you.
So outdoors with social spacing and some PPE is much better.
January, February & March were very wet and overcast so very little sun to boost our Vitamin D and hence our immune systems.
Have you seen any advice from anybody about boosting our immune systems with Vitamins C, D & B12?
Especially those with darker skin tones who will be massively Vit D defficient in the Northern Hemisphere.
Have the government failed? on 11:46 - May 4 with 436 viewscontroversial_jack

Have the government failed? on 11:24 - May 4 by A_Fans_Dad

Yes, another mistake, fresh air and sunshine, especially the sunshine is good for everybody.
Being stuck in doors if you do not have a garden to get out in, is not good for you.
January, February & March were very wet and overcast so very little sun to boost our Vitamin D and hence our immune systems.
Have you seen any advice from anybody about boosting our immune systems with Vitamins C, D & B12?
Especially those with darker skin tones who will be massively Vit D defficient in the Northern Hemisphere.

The thinking behind it is, give the people an inch and they will take a mile.It's why we all have to be treated like children because some can't follow basic advice and push the boundaries
Login to get fewer ads

Have the government failed? on 11:52 - May 4 with 425 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Have the government failed? on 11:24 - May 4 by A_Fans_Dad

I haven’t seen general advice on vitamins but personally I had advice on vitamin D from both my GP and consultant. I don’t need advice on vitamin B12 because I have it injected every 12 weeks. When you’ve been on immunosuppressant medication for 26 years these things are important.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Have the government failed? on 12:07 - May 4 with 405 viewsTreforys_Jack

Have the government failed? on 11:46 - May 4 by controversial_jack

The thinking behind it is, give the people an inch and they will take a mile.It's why we all have to be treated like children because some can't follow basic advice and push the boundaries

This, all day long.
Have the government failed? on 13:06 - May 4 with 370 viewsCatullus

Have the government failed? on 23:15 - May 3 by builthjack

Example-

Exactly my thoughts. I'm allowed out for an hour once a day BUT I can't mange an hours walk in one go, If I do a 30 minute walk I'm struggling. At the same time I need the exercise to keep my muscles in shape for when I actually get my hip replacement done. If I don't maintain a certain level of fitness Imay not get the Op, it's vicious circel. Yet I could get in the car and go to 3/4 shops spending 2 hours too close to other people.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Have the government failed? on 13:09 - May 4 with 365 viewsCatullus

Have the government failed? on 21:07 - May 3 by exiledclaseboy

Are people regularly checking their temperature these days then?

We have been. We've all been a bit under the weather sometime in the last 2 months.

Have the government failed? on 13:16 - May 4 with 357 viewslondonlisa2001

Have the government failed? on 21:00 - May 3 by ploppy

True - you can't guess. Shocked you don't have a thermometer. Can't take you seriously now!

It’s genuinely never occurred to me that I may need one. I can’t believe everyone has one. I get that it’s useful if you have kids but I’ve never thought about taking my own temperature (obviously until a few weeks ago when you probably can’t get them anymore).

I’ve a meat thermometer I could shove up my backside but not sure I’d be using it for a leg of lamb going forward
Have the government failed? on 13:22 - May 4 with 338 viewslondonlisa2001

Have the government failed? on 22:26 - May 3 by Banosswan

Which trees? Birch pollen can be very different to oak or alder pollen by date. Have you had a skin prick or RAST test to identify the individual pollens?

Birch for me. I’ve never had a test, I just know I start wheezing a bit if I’m near Birch trees in April / May and I get sinus pain / headache. Not sure whether any other trees set me off. Oak doesn’t seem to (when I walk the dog in an oak wood I’m fine, when I walk her and go through Birch trees I struggle quite quickly).

I only started getting it about 5 or 6 years ago. Never had any hay fever when I was younger and still don’t seem to get any later in the season with grass etc.
Have the government failed? on 13:29 - May 4 with 322 viewslondonlisa2001

Have the government failed? on 13:06 - May 4 by Catullus

Exactly my thoughts. I'm allowed out for an hour once a day BUT I can't mange an hours walk in one go, If I do a 30 minute walk I'm struggling. At the same time I need the exercise to keep my muscles in shape for when I actually get my hip replacement done. If I don't maintain a certain level of fitness Imay not get the Op, it's vicious circel. Yet I could get in the car and go to 3/4 shops spending 2 hours too close to other people.

I’m not sure an hour has ever been specified has it?

I’ve thought the advice has been quite clear. Stay in unless you need essentials (defined in my mind as you can go to shops that are open, but do so as infrequently as possible), to get to work if you can’t work from home, and for exercise.

People have to take some responsibility surely? I’m sure some have been popping to the supermarket a few times every week - I think they’re mad, but it depends on the circumstances (Our shops are far too busy to go anywhere near in my view, but a small local shop is far safer).

I think the advice re times foe exercise etc have been different in different areas possibly.
Have the government failed? on 13:38 - May 4 with 312 viewschad

Have the government failed? on 11:52 - May 4 by Joe_bradshaw

I haven’t seen general advice on vitamins but personally I had advice on vitamin D from both my GP and consultant. I don’t need advice on vitamin B12 because I have it injected every 12 weeks. When you’ve been on immunosuppressant medication for 26 years these things are important.

From a telegraph article yesterday, Dr W may be interested that vitamin D also seems to protect against cytokine storms (although perhaps given lack of illness in past possibly already has good vitamin D levels) ...

A suggestive set of numbers was published online in April by a medical scientist in the Philippines, Dr Mark Alipio.

Of 49 patients with mild symptoms of Covid-19 in three hospitals in southern Asian countries, only two had low levels of vitamin D;

of 104 patients with critical or severe symptoms, only four did not have low levels of vitamin D.

The more severe the symptoms, the more likely a patient was to be not just low but deficient in the vitamin. Could vitamin D deficiency make the difference between getting very ill or not?

There has long been evidence that a sufficiency of vitamin D protects against viruses, especially respiratory ones, including the common cold. Vitamin D increases the production of antiviral proteins and decreases cytokines, the immune molecules that can cause a “storm” of dangerous inflammation.

it has long been suspected that most people’s low vitamin D levels in late winter partly explain the seasonal peaking of flu epidemics, and rising vitamin D levels in spring partly explain their sudden ending. Vitamin D is made by ultraviolet light falling on the skin, so many people in northern climates have a deficiency by the end of winter. Eating fish and eggs helps, but it is hard to get enough of it in the diet....
Have the government failed? on 13:51 - May 4 with 292 viewsCatullus

Have the government failed? on 13:29 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

I’m not sure an hour has ever been specified has it?

I’ve thought the advice has been quite clear. Stay in unless you need essentials (defined in my mind as you can go to shops that are open, but do so as infrequently as possible), to get to work if you can’t work from home, and for exercise.

People have to take some responsibility surely? I’m sure some have been popping to the supermarket a few times every week - I think they’re mad, but it depends on the circumstances (Our shops are far too busy to go anywhere near in my view, but a small local shop is far safer).

I think the advice re times foe exercise etc have been different in different areas possibly.

Michael Gove said on the Andrew Marr show that an hour would be considered reasonable.

Taken from the Metro,

The Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster said: ‘Well, obviously it depends on each individual’s fitness. ‘But I would have thought that for most a walk of up to an hour, or a run of 30 minutes, or a cycle ride between that, depending on their level of fitness, is appropriate.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/15/coronavirus-uk-long-can-exercise-lockdown-running

Have the government failed? on 13:58 - May 4 with 280 viewslondonlisa2001

Have the government failed? on 13:38 - May 4 by chad

From a telegraph article yesterday, Dr W may be interested that vitamin D also seems to protect against cytokine storms (although perhaps given lack of illness in past possibly already has good vitamin D levels) ...

A suggestive set of numbers was published online in April by a medical scientist in the Philippines, Dr Mark Alipio.

Of 49 patients with mild symptoms of Covid-19 in three hospitals in southern Asian countries, only two had low levels of vitamin D;

of 104 patients with critical or severe symptoms, only four did not have low levels of vitamin D.

The more severe the symptoms, the more likely a patient was to be not just low but deficient in the vitamin. Could vitamin D deficiency make the difference between getting very ill or not?

There has long been evidence that a sufficiency of vitamin D protects against viruses, especially respiratory ones, including the common cold. Vitamin D increases the production of antiviral proteins and decreases cytokines, the immune molecules that can cause a “storm” of dangerous inflammation.

it has long been suspected that most people’s low vitamin D levels in late winter partly explain the seasonal peaking of flu epidemics, and rising vitamin D levels in spring partly explain their sudden ending. Vitamin D is made by ultraviolet light falling on the skin, so many people in northern climates have a deficiency by the end of winter. Eating fish and eggs helps, but it is hard to get enough of it in the diet....

Cheese is good for it, and mushrooms.

There isn’t a control mentioned though? They’d have to test vitamin D levels in mild or asymptomatic cases to see if there was a variation, or whether so many people have a deficiency (which has been reported) that the serious cases just reflect the general level.

Have the government failed? on 13:58 - May 4 with 280 viewsHighjack

I saw a jogger the other day empty the contents of his nose all over the pavement with one of those farmers blow manoeuvres.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Have the government failed? on 14:01 - May 4 with 277 viewsHighjack

Have the government failed? on 13:38 - May 4 by chad

It’s pretty hard to get a vitamin D deficiency unless there’s an underlying cause. It may effect people who work nights more perhaps but even in the dead of winter you should get decent exposure even if it’s cloudy and pissing down.

Have the government failed? on 14:03 - May 4 with 272 viewslondonlisa2001

Have the government failed? on 13:51 - May 4 by Catullus

Michael Gove said on the Andrew Marr show that an hour would be considered reasonable.

Taken from the Metro,

The Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster said: ‘Well, obviously it depends on each individual’s fitness. ‘But I would have thought that for most a walk of up to an hour, or a run of 30 minutes, or a cycle ride between that, depending on their level of fitness, is appropriate.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/15/coronavirus-uk-long-can-exercise-lockdown-running

Yes I know he did. But he was criticised afterwards for inventing something that wasn’t actually policy. It was just his view.
Have the government failed? on 14:05 - May 4 with 268 viewslondonlisa2001

Have the government failed? on 14:01 - May 4 by Highjack

It’s pretty hard to get a vitamin D deficiency unless there’s an underlying cause. It may effect people who work nights more perhaps but even in the dead of winter you should get decent exposure even if it’s cloudy and pissing down.

There’s widespread vitamin D deficiency in this country. Particularly amongst kids.

No one goes outside for long enough (obviously us dog walkers are fine).
Have the government failed? on 14:24 - May 4 with 244 viewschad

Have the government failed? on 13:58 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

Cheese is good for it, and mushrooms.

There isn’t a control mentioned though? They’d have to test vitamin D levels in mild or asymptomatic cases to see if there was a variation, or whether so many people have a deficiency (which has been reported) that the serious cases just reflect the general level.

Yes just indicative but it is reporting on large difference in hospitals between

mild symptoms: only 2 out of 49 had low vitamin D

Critical / severe symptoms: only 4 out of 104 DID NOT have low levels of vitamin D

So indicative of large advantage against getting really ill.

Vitamin D deficiency seems to be a worse issue for those in this country with darker skin, but the message from many sources is it is important for all of us.
Have the government failed? on 14:54 - May 4 with 212 viewslondonlisa2001

Have the government failed? on 14:24 - May 4 by chad

Yes just indicative but it is reporting on large difference in hospitals between

mild symptoms: only 2 out of 49 had low vitamin D

Critical / severe symptoms: only 4 out of 104 DID NOT have low levels of vitamin D

So indicative of large advantage against getting really ill.

Vitamin D deficiency seems to be a worse issue for those in this country with darker skin, but the message from many sources is it is important for all of us.

Sorry, I misread the report and thought the mild cases were in Asia and the severe cases here. If at the same place, that’s a good indication.

I suspect there may be all sorts of differences in genetic make up that’s causing huge differences between people of different ethnicity.
Have the government failed? on 14:58 - May 4 with 205 viewscontroversial_jack

Have the government failed? on 14:54 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

Sorry, I misread the report and thought the mild cases were in Asia and the severe cases here. If at the same place, that’s a good indication.

I suspect there may be all sorts of differences in genetic make up that’s causing huge differences between people of different ethnicity.

Many Asian countries locked down quicker, wore masks and washed their hands more often, and they are generally more law abiding and disciplined.No mystery here.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2020