Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have the government failed? 08:00 - Apr 27 with 27632 viewsRiscaJack

Can the more educated posters on this forum give me some opinions on this?

For me it looks like a complete disgrace from the start, no leadership, promises not kept, flights still coming into country from badly hit parts of world, using the excuse of "scientific advice" for not postponing the likes of Cheltenham Festival, Liverpool v Madrid, music gigs. We watched what was happening in Italy, I just can't find any excuses for them.

JENKINS OUT

Have the government failed? on 09:11 - May 6 with 442 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Have the government failed? on 23:16 - May 5 by londonlisa2001

We were talking about Europe.

Which of the countries you name is European?

Belgium 8000 deaths with a population of 11,000,000 has the highest death rate in the world let alone Europe. Says all you need to know about the EU.

Poll: Who wants "valleyboy" banned from our forum so he can post on cardiff's forum ?

Have the government failed? on 09:21 - May 6 with 433 viewschad

Have the government failed? on 08:52 - May 6 by WarwickHunt

He’s the European correspondent of The Sydney Morning Herald. He’s from Canberra.
I think that qualifies him as “an outsider”.

Except he lives in London and has done for some time, including during this crises, of which London was the UK epicentre. So his whole personal experience of what he is reporting on, is most definitely as an insider, although in an area, not necessarily generally representative of the UK as a whole.

He even caught the virus in London (he presumes from a supermarket as he was in lockdown). Which perhaps explains why much of the article seems to be a rewash of the similar recent Manchester Guardian article (which of course is not in Manchester - although it does have an Australian edition).

Or are you saying foreigners that have made their home in this country, should be classed as outsiders? Because that would be considered, quite a contentious POV
Have the government failed? on 09:27 - May 6 with 419 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Have the government failed? on 09:21 - May 6 by chad

Except he lives in London and has done for some time, including during this crises, of which London was the UK epicentre. So his whole personal experience of what he is reporting on, is most definitely as an insider, although in an area, not necessarily generally representative of the UK as a whole.

He even caught the virus in London (he presumes from a supermarket as he was in lockdown). Which perhaps explains why much of the article seems to be a rewash of the similar recent Manchester Guardian article (which of course is not in Manchester - although it does have an Australian edition).

Or are you saying foreigners that have made their home in this country, should be classed as outsiders? Because that would be considered, quite a contentious POV

London population 9,000,000 deaths 19,000
Rest of UK population 60,000,000 deaths 11,000

It seems lockdown has worked well in the rest of the UK but was too late in London.

Poll: Who wants "valleyboy" banned from our forum so he can post on cardiff's forum ?

Have the government failed? on 09:29 - May 6 with 422 viewsWarwickHunt

Have the government failed? on 09:21 - May 6 by chad

Remind me to renew my Mafia membership next time I go to Sicily on holiday.

Which bit of “he’s not a Londoner, he’s fûcking Australian” are you struggling with?
Have the government failed? on 09:43 - May 6 with 406 viewschad

Have the government failed? on 09:29 - May 6 by WarwickHunt

Remind me to renew my Mafia membership next time I go to Sicily on holiday.

Which bit of “he’s not a Londoner, he’s fûcking Australian” are you struggling with?

Language Warwick, language

He is not here on holiday, he is living here, has done for some time, and all he is writing about in that article (this crises) has been experienced as an insider living in London.

It is not an outside view
Have the government failed? on 10:08 - May 6 with 384 viewsjack2jack

Have the government failed? on 09:27 - May 6 by felixstowe_jack

It seems lockdown has worked well in the rest of the UK but was too late in London.

London were ahead of us, they just carried on as if nothing was happened.
BTW population of UK is Circa 65 million.
I wont down arrow you, its a bit silly really isn't it, i prefer to discuss.
ATB
Have the government failed? on 10:31 - May 6 with 364 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Have the government failed? on 10:08 - May 6 by jack2jack

ATB

Lots of people in close proximity to one another. Keeping Heathrow open and thousands of people coming in from countries with serious infection rates using tubes and buses probably didn’t help.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Have the government failed? on 10:32 - May 6 with 362 viewsCatullus

ATB

London's poulation is approx 9.3 million though, it makes those death totals look even worse,
9 millon with 19000 deaths against 56 million and 11000 deaths.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

Have the government failed? on 10:33 - May 6 with 361 viewsWarwickHunt

Have the government failed? on 09:43 - May 6 by chad

Language Warwick, language

He is not here on holiday, he is living here, has done for some time, and all he is writing about in that article (this crises) has been experienced as an insider living in London.

It is not an outside view

Some time? He was still working in Australia at the end of June last year.

Proper Cockney, eh?
Have the government failed? on 10:33 - May 6 with 359 viewsjack2jack

Have the government failed? on 10:31 - May 6 by Brynmill_Jack

Lots of people in close proximity to one another. Keeping Heathrow open and thousands of people coming in from countries with serious infection rates using tubes and buses probably didn’t help.

Absolutely BJ
Have the government failed? on 10:34 - May 6 with 359 viewschad

Re above comment, population seems to be given between 66.5 and 68 million but obviously vary depending on how estimated.

If those comparative death figures are accurate that is very telling. I didn’t realise the divide was so great.

———-

Number of cases is very subjective depending on testing, but on that metric it seems to be us and Cumbria getting a real pasting at the moment.

Have the government failed? on 10:38 - May 6 with 351 viewsCatullus

Have the government failed? on 20:12 - May 5 by jack2jack

I would disagree with you first paragraph tbh, I believe it would have made a huge difference, if other measures were put in place to supplement the action, that said I'm no scientist, just my opinion.
I'm not so sure about the app either to be honest.
I agree the government's performance has been poor to say the least.

France had it's first confirmed case 27 Decenber, 4 days before China reported this to the WHO. It was in Europe before we even knew it existed so it's highly likely it was in the UK too, Heathrow is the busiest travel hub in Europe after all.

Have the government failed? on 10:47 - May 6 with 339 viewsCatullus

Have the government failed? on 13:41 - May 5 by Catullus

Campbell, because he never span anything?

So it's whataboutery to remind people that a man talking about seeing through the spin was himself a massive spinner of facts?

No, it's more like a reminder that we can't trust Campbell any more than we can the government. He made a career out of twisting the truth yet we should trust him?

Tell me, will you trust Bojo if he says something similar about whoever the next PM is? I'd bet not because he's made a career based on less than the truth too.

Whataboutery is commonly used to discredit a message you don't like.

Have the government failed? on 11:04 - May 6 with 327 viewschad

Have the government failed? on 10:33 - May 6 by WarwickHunt

Some time? He was still working in Australia at the end of June last year.

Proper Cockney, eh?

https://images.app.goo.gl/HmzSE2cotsFAGyNt5

Sydney Harbour Bridge ;)
Have the government failed? on 11:31 - May 6 with 315 viewsWarwickHunt

Have the government failed? on 11:04 - May 6 by chad

https://images.app.goo.gl/HmzSE2cotsFAGyNt5

Sydney Harbour Bridge ;)

Just in case you’re still struggling with the term “foreign correspondent”, there’s a clue in the title.
Have the government failed? on 12:14 - May 6 with 285 viewschad

Have the government failed? on 11:31 - May 6 by WarwickHunt

Just in case you’re still struggling with the term “foreign correspondent”, there’s a clue in the title.

Excellent thanks, think I have it now, a bit like ‘Our Man in Havana’ ;)

Someone on the inside, giving an insiders view, to the folks back home

Have the government failed? on 12:22 - May 6 with 275 viewsWarwickHunt

Have the government failed? on 12:14 - May 6 by chad

Excellent thanks, think I have it now, a bit like ‘Our Man in Havana’ ;)

Someone on the inside, giving an insiders view, to the folks back home

That's it! An insider to them and an outsider to us.
Have the government failed? on 12:23 - May 6 with 274 viewscontroversial_jack

Have the government failed? on 10:38 - May 6 by Catullus

France had it's first confirmed case 27 Decenber, 4 days before China reported this to the WHO. It was in Europe before we even knew it existed so it's highly likely it was in the UK too, Heathrow is the busiest travel hub in Europe after all.

The Chinese kept it quiet for possibly 2 months , so that would make it November, or maybe it didn't start in Wuhan, but in Europe.
Have the government failed? on 12:59 - May 6 with 250 viewslondonlisa2001

London locked itself down at least a week before the rest of the country. Look at the travel stats etc to see.

It’s a virus that spreads far more quickly and easily through cities. The more population density the faster it spreads. The more connected the city to the rest of the world the more it’s spread.

It’s also caused most severe outcomes in people of certain ethnicities as far as we can see.

All of these factors are demonstrated in the figures for London.

Have the government failed? on 13:05 - May 6 with 243 viewsNotLoyal

In answer to the the OP.
No.

Everyone thinks someone is a cûnt, even those who they don’t thinks are cûnts are cûnts to someone else.
Poll: Who would you rather be in charge of the country during these times?

Have the government failed? on 13:08 - May 6 with 238 viewslondonlisa2001

ATB

Sorry but that’s just not true.

I posted on here about how empty London was weeks before lockdown. And public transport usage was a small fraction of normal way before lockdown as well.
Have the government failed? on 13:10 - May 6 with 237 viewsKilkennyjack

Have the government failed? on 09:06 - May 6 by felixstowe_jack

You do wonder why the Irish government is allowing an Irish airline to do this.

Yes , but i also wonder why the UK govt is allowing a packed flight from Belfast to London during a pandemic lockdown.

Shirley its up to UK to start prioritising this stuff over getting big ben to bong for brexshit , or whatever load of nonsense they are onto now - like fiddling 100,000 tests a day only for reality to bite the next days. Pathetic bunch of opportunists.

Even useless Jezza would have done better

‘Beware of the risen people’ ........🍀🇮🇪 💚 Dim byd grêt am brydain 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🇪🇺

Have the government failed? on 13:35 - May 6 with 218 viewsNeath_Jack

Have the government failed? on 13:08 - May 6 by londonlisa2001

Sorry but that’s just not true.

I posted on here about how empty London was weeks before lockdown. And public transport usage was a small fraction of normal way before lockdown as well.

Yet there were countless photo's of the Tube carriages being absolutely crammed.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Have the government failed? on 13:45 - May 6 with 204 viewslondonlisa2001

Have the government failed? on 13:35 - May 6 by Neath_Jack

Yet there were countless photo's of the Tube carriages being absolutely crammed.

Every day they show the graph with the numbers. It’s been at about 5% ish since lockdown and was about 25% the week before lockdown.

There are always going to be the odd times when it looks busier. But largely it’s deserted.
Have the government failed? on 13:47 - May 6 with 194 viewsNotLoyal

Have the government failed? on 13:10 - May 6 by Kilkennyjack

Yes , but i also wonder why the UK govt is allowing a packed flight from Belfast to London during a pandemic lockdown.

Shirley its up to UK to start prioritising this stuff over getting big ben to bong for brexshit , or whatever load of nonsense they are onto now - like fiddling 100,000 tests a day only for reality to bite the next days. Pathetic bunch of opportunists.

Even useless Jezza would have done better

He could have flown over his nationalist allies.

Everyone thinks someone is a cûnt, even those who they don’t thinks are cûnts are cûnts to someone else.
Poll: Who would you rather be in charge of the country during these times?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2020