Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have the government failed? 08:00 - Apr 27 with 25493 viewsRiscaJack

Can the more educated posters on this forum give me some opinions on this?

For me it looks like a complete disgrace from the start, no leadership, promises not kept, flights still coming into country from badly hit parts of world, using the excuse of "scientific advice" for not postponing the likes of Cheltenham Festival, Liverpool v Madrid, music gigs. We watched what was happening in Italy, I just can't find any excuses for them.

JENKINS OUT

Have the government failed? on 20:51 - May 7 with 983 viewsHumpty

Have the government failed? on 20:50 - May 7 by exiledclaseboy

What the feck is “virii”?

Edit - I see we’ve been there when discussing For Focii.

This post has been edited by an administrator

It's urban, apparently.
Have the government failed? on 20:53 - May 7 with 981 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Have the government failed? on 18:43 - May 7 by Catullus

Ok but one infected person on a flight could have infected 8 others, more than one, do the maths; so when they were coming home from Italy how many potential cariers were there?

The theory still stands about someone going to the toilet, touching seats, brushing past people, touching the doors and taps. Of course it's too late now to worry about that but maybe it's a lesson for next time?

Of course, as I believe this virus was here before we knew about it, it was already too late when we were calling the government slow!

Are you saying that you can get COVID-19 from toilet seats? I know that you can get pregnant from them which is why I always leave them up.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Have the government failed? on 21:24 - May 7 with 946 viewsJackinexile1

Have the government failed? on 00:21 - May 7 by controversial_jack

Many workplaces don't do social distancing.I know in certain departments in Tata, incoming and outgoing shifts are using the same locker rooms at the same time.

The workplace is where it's happening imo

How many Tata workers have had COVID19?

Have the government failed? on 22:15 - May 7 with 908 viewsKilkennyjack

At least we have USA, Sweden and Russia for company 🤷‍♂️

‘Beware of the risen people’ ........🍀🇮🇪 💚 Dim byd grêt am brydain 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🇪🇺

Have the government failed? on 23:17 - May 7 with 869 viewscontroversial_jack

Have the government failed? on 21:24 - May 7 by Jackinexile1

How many Tata workers have had COVID19?

Don't know, but i know other big companies have had employees go sick
Have the government failed? on 23:57 - May 7 with 852 viewsDJack

Have the government failed? on 12:11 - May 7 by A_Fans_Dad

When top medical experts tell you it is airborne enough to infect you, you should believe it.
Right from the start at Wuhan doctors have caught it through their eyes, which of course masks do not protect.
Oner reason you are seeing far more Visors in photos of people treating COVID-19 patients.

It gets in via the eyes as humans cant stop touching their faces!

Edit for extra words stuck in middle of sent bum fluff ance
[Post edited 8 May 1:05]

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Have the government failed? on 00:47 - May 8 with 836 viewsDJack

Have the government failed? on 14:22 - May 7 by A_Fans_Dad

Did you bother to read the article DJack posted?
It was about virii being suspended in air and it is especially indoors.

I'll stop you right there sunshine. The article was the one Chad quoted from, I brought it to the fore so people could read it and draw their own conclusions. Some points for you

It is a hypothesis.

Most (all) the events referenced within were not proven but were either a previous hypothesis used to explain the anecdotal "evidence" or are events/science conflated to match what they are trying to "prove".

To date NOBODY has demonstrated a viable viral load for SARS-CoV-2 can/is transmitted by a sneeze over any real distance.

SARS-CoV-2 is a lipd shelled RNA virus and is therefore not very hardy outside a host - it lasts longer when attached to some surfaces

I've not read many scientific articles to date but I will say that this one struck me as someone with a hypothesis, that really started out as a hunch, bolted lots of seemingly relevent data (mostly conflated or not relevant) then pleads that it is taken seriously without any real datapoints to carry it forward.

I would be happy for someone to test the viability of SARS-CoV-2 carried on a sneeze/cough (I suspect it is being done) but there is zero evidence to support this claim to date.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Have the government failed? on 11:09 - May 8 with 744 viewscontroversial_jack

According to the S korean expert. glasses can help
Login to get fewer ads

Have the government failed? on 14:37 - May 8 with 702 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Have the government failed? on 00:47 - May 8 by DJack

I'll stop you right there sunshine. The article was the one Chad quoted from, I brought it to the fore so people could read it and draw their own conclusions. Some points for you

It is a hypothesis.

Most (all) the events referenced within were not proven but were either a previous hypothesis used to explain the anecdotal "evidence" or are events/science conflated to match what they are trying to "prove".

To date NOBODY has demonstrated a viable viral load for SARS-CoV-2 can/is transmitted by a sneeze over any real distance.

SARS-CoV-2 is a lipd shelled RNA virus and is therefore not very hardy outside a host - it lasts longer when attached to some surfaces

I've not read many scientific articles to date but I will say that this one struck me as someone with a hypothesis, that really started out as a hunch, bolted lots of seemingly relevent data (mostly conflated or not relevant) then pleads that it is taken seriously without any real datapoints to carry it forward.

I would be happy for someone to test the viability of SARS-CoV-2 carried on a sneeze/cough (I suspect it is being done) but there is zero evidence to support this claim to date.

Djack, there are various studies predating that "hypothesis" which used actual real live virus readings.
Here is one from April.
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0885_article
Another from April.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-04-exhaled-aerosols-coronavirus-feetand-viru
May be a copy of the study
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/tiny-airborne-particles-may-carry-the-

From March
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1.full.pdf

I am sure that there are more studies out there but I just can't be bothered to look as they make the point.
Of course there is no concrete proof that there is sufficient quantities to cause infection.
But it is proof it is aerosolized.
Have the government failed? on 14:46 - May 8 with 694 viewsCatullus

Have the government failed? on 20:53 - May 7 by Joe_bradshaw

Are you saying that you can get COVID-19 from toilet seats? I know that you can get pregnant from them which is why I always leave them up.

I'm saying that if an infected person touched something and then you touch it and touch your face, you might get it.

I had my toilet seat neutered, the randy b'stard is always touching my wife's ass!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Have the government failed? on 21:35 - May 10 with 602 viewsA_Fans_Dad

This used to be the post for all the "Political" stuff on COVID-19.

Have the government failed? on 13:22 - May 15 with 485 viewskarnataka

Just found this online from a site where a couple of people were discussing whether or not the UK could have done better by comparing the UK's virus response to other countries:-

"I agree that a comparison with NZ is invalid but let’s compare with S Korea which is much nearer the UK in population. SK population 51.6m, population density 515/sqkm; UK population 66.6m, population density 275/sqkm. So SK population density is getting on for twice that of the UK, 1.88x to be exact.

S Korea 1st case confirmed 20/01/20, UK 1st case confirmed 22/01/20

S Korea deaths, 260, UK deaths getting on for 40,000 and still counting.

S Korea were prepared, we weren’t (despite Project Cygnus).

S Korean authorities immediately took it seriously, we didn’t.

S Korea started widespread testing within 17 days. we didn’t.

S Korea instigated massive intensive contact tracing immediately, we didn’t.

S Korea didn’t need a lockdown*, we did. (*apart from a brief one in Daegu to crush the Religious sect breakout cluster).

So, a country with almost twice our population density managed to keep their death toll down to 260, while a country with around half S Korea’s population density has managed to keep its death toll ‘down’ to around 40,000 so far. And some are saying they don’t think anyone else could have done better???"
Have the government failed? on 13:30 - May 15 with 473 viewsploppy

Have the government failed? on 13:22 - May 15 by karnataka

Just found this online from a site where a couple of people were discussing whether or not the UK could have done better by comparing the UK's virus response to other countries:-

"I agree that a comparison with NZ is invalid but let’s compare with S Korea which is much nearer the UK in population. SK population 51.6m, population density 515/sqkm; UK population 66.6m, population density 275/sqkm. So SK population density is getting on for twice that of the UK, 1.88x to be exact.

S Korea didn’t need a lockdown*, we did. (*apart from a brief one in Daegu to crush the Religious sect breakout cluster).

So, a country with almost twice our population density managed to keep their death toll down to 260, while a country with around half S Korea’s population density has managed to keep its death toll ‘down’ to around 40,000 so far. And some are saying they don’t think anyone else could have done better???"

Obviously, the difference in cases/deaths is stark, but one thing to note is that in S Korea contact tracing involves examining CCTV, bank records and phone records. Can you imagine trying to do that in the UK?
[Post edited 15 May 13:42]
Have the government failed? on 13:48 - May 15 with 452 viewslondonlisa2001

Have the government failed? on 13:22 - May 15 by karnataka

South Korea have done incredibly well, as have most other countries in that region.

Interestingly, the recent publication of the ethnic background of sufferers in the UK, show that the lowest number of deaths (by a long way) per 100,000 people are those of a Chinese background with 15 deaths per 100,000 compared with 27 per 100,000 for ‘white British’ and 78 per 100,000 for those with a Black Caribbean background, and 80 per 100,000 for people from an ‘Arab’ background.

Those differences are huge. I wonder if that is helping countries like Korea?

The breakdown was in the Guardian. Here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/british-bame-covid-19-death-rate-m
Have the government failed? on 13:50 - May 15 with 447 viewskarnataka

Have the government failed? on 13:30 - May 15 by ploppy

Obviously, the difference in cases/deaths is stark, but one thing to note is that in S Korea contact tracing involves examining CCTV, bank records and phone records. Can you imagine trying to do that in the UK?
[Post edited 15 May 13:42]

To save 40-50,000 deaths? No brainer, put modern technology to its most beneficial use possible.
Have the government failed? on 13:54 - May 15 with 442 viewsploppy

Have the government failed? on 13:50 - May 15 by karnataka

To save 40-50,000 deaths? No brainer, put modern technology to its most beneficial use possible.

I agree with you, but I think there's a big portion of the British public that wouldn't. Something about privacy. You only have to look at the resistance on this forum to installing the app.
Have the government failed? on 14:21 - May 15 with 425 viewskarnataka

Have the government failed? on 13:48 - May 15 by londonlisa2001

South Korea have done incredibly well, as have most other countries in that region.

Interestingly, the recent publication of the ethnic background of sufferers in the UK, show that the lowest number of deaths (by a long way) per 100,000 people are those of a Chinese background with 15 deaths per 100,000 compared with 27 per 100,000 for ‘white British’ and 78 per 100,000 for those with a Black Caribbean background, and 80 per 100,000 for people from an ‘Arab’ background.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/british-bame-covid-19-death-rate-m

There are probably several variables, maybe many, and ethnicity is no doubt one of them but when you are comparing 260 deaths with 40,000, the vast majority of that can only be explained by the responses of the respective governments both before and during the crisis.
Have the government failed? on 14:33 - May 15 with 416 viewslondonlisa2001

Have the government failed? on 14:21 - May 15 by karnataka

There are probably several variables, maybe many, and ethnicity is no doubt one of them but when you are comparing 260 deaths with 40,000, the vast majority of that can only be explained by the responses of the respective governments both before and during the crisis.

Oh, of course. I was just interested to see that the ethnic differences are so stark.

The Korean government as I said, did exceptionally well. They had some luck, in that the virus seeded there in such a specific way, and outside Seoul as well, but their track and trace efforts were phenomenal,
Have the government failed? on 14:59 - May 15 with 390 viewsKilkennyjack

Have the government failed? on 14:21 - May 15 by karnataka

jeremy hunt totally agrees with you.

‘Beware of the risen people’ ........🍀🇮🇪 💚 Dim byd grêt am brydain 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🇪🇺

Have the government failed? on 15:03 - May 15 with 384 viewskarnataka

Have the government failed? on 14:59 - May 15 by Kilkennyjack

jeremy hunt totally agrees with you.

SH!T!!!!
Have the government failed? on 17:13 - May 15 with 342 viewsCatullus

Have the government failed? on 13:48 - May 15 by londonlisa2001

Oh Lisa, there's a conspiracy theory waiting to escape in that post, the virus cam from China but affects Chinese people the least, someone like will be along soon to say it can't be a coincidence....might as well be me....is it a coincidence or did China fo this on purpose?

I've had to put more tinfoil on my hat now!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Have the government failed? on 17:19 - May 15 with 333 viewslondonlisa2001

Have the government failed? on 17:13 - May 15 by Catullus

Oh Lisa, there's a conspiracy theory waiting to escape in that post, the virus cam from China but affects Chinese people the least, someone like will be along soon to say it can't be a coincidence....might as well be me....is it a coincidence or did China fo this on purpose?

I've had to put more tinfoil on my hat now!

No, there’s really not unless you’re insane...
Have the government failed? on 17:26 - May 15 with 325 viewsexiledclaseboy

Have the government failed? on 17:19 - May 15 by londonlisa2001

No, there’s really not unless you’re insane...

You've been using this forum for how long now?

Poll: Tory leader

Have the government failed? on 17:26 - May 15 with 323 viewslondonlisa2001

Have the government failed? on 17:26 - May 15 by exiledclaseboy

You've been using this forum for how long now?

Well yes, I suppose so...
Have the government failed? on 17:38 - May 15 with 311 viewsLeonWasGod

Have the government failed? on 11:09 - May 8 by controversial_jack

According to the S korean expert. glasses can help

I get drenched when I try drinking a pint without one, so there could be something in that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2020