Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bob Monkhouse 21:06 - Apr 28 with 2710 viewsWxmJax

BBC4 10pm tonight. We all need a laugh at the moment.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Bob Monkhouse on 21:30 - Apr 28 with 2689 viewsThrasher6

Recommended viewing...seen it many times. Great TV.
Monkhouse: 'I was born in Kent...and it's funny...I always get reminded about it. I'm with someone and move away and then I hear it..."Kent" '

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Bob Monkhouse on 21:30 - Apr 28 with 2687 viewsGlyn1

Thanks for this, he was a highly intelligent, very funny man. And a lot edgier in his stage shows than on TV. I suppose Jimmy Carr is the one who most resembles him nowadays.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 21:32]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Bob Monkhouse on 21:32 - Apr 28 with 2678 viewsGlyn1

Bob Monkhouse on 21:30 - Apr 28 by Thrasher6

Recommended viewing...seen it many times. Great TV.
Monkhouse: 'I was born in Kent...and it's funny...I always get reminded about it. I'm with someone and move away and then I hear it..."Kent" '

Bob Monkhouse on 21:32 - Apr 28 with 2678 viewsmonmouth

Bob Monkhouse on 21:30 - Apr 28 by Glyn1

Thanks for this, he was a highly intelligent, very funny man. And a lot edgier in his stage shows than on TV. I suppose Jimmy Carr is the one who most resembles him nowadays.

Wash your mouth out and hang your head in shame man. Jimmy Carr in the same sentence as Bob Monkhouse. NO!

Shit, now look what I've done.....I'm having a bad night...

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Bob Monkhouse on 21:38 - Apr 28 with 2659 viewsSwanjaxs

I can still enjoy sex at 74 - I live at 75, so it's no distance. B. Monkhouse

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Bob Monkhouse on 21:49 - Apr 28 with 2629 viewsmootswan

I saw him in 1993, I think, at a small Xmas company do. Absolute filth. Brilliant. I wish I could remember his tales about Diana Dors' sex parties
Bob Monkhouse on 22:04 - Apr 28 with 2604 viewscmajack

Bob Monkhouse on 21:30 - Apr 28 by Glyn1

Comedy genius, absolutely brilliant. Jimmy carr doesn't even come close to Bob monkhouse as a comedy genius and neither do most of todays so called sub standard comedians.
Bob Monkhouse on 23:05 - Apr 28 with 2559 viewssainthelens

Great watch.
And Mike Yarwood still going at 79 !
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 23:06]
Login to get fewer ads

Bob Monkhouse on 23:12 - Apr 28 with 2546 viewsBest_loser

Strange how people always seem to think the comedians of their generation were much better than the next
Bob Monkhouse on 23:54 - Apr 28 with 2522 viewsWarwickHunt

Bob Monkhouse on 23:12 - Apr 28 by Best_loser

Strange how people always seem to think the comedians of their generation were much better than the next

Most of the current crop revere Monkhouse and rightly so.

The performance is a stand-up masterclass. Great material and his timing was second to none.
It’s one of the best things I’ve seen for years - heroic, heartbreaking and fûcking hilarious.
Bob Monkhouse on 00:02 - Apr 29 with 2506 viewslondonlisa2001

Bob Monkhouse on 23:54 - Apr 28 by WarwickHunt

The performance is a stand-up masterclass. Great material and his timing was second to none.
It’s one of the best things I’ve seen for years - heroic, heartbreaking and fûcking hilarious.

He was sharp as hell and bloody funny.

Many of that generation were brilliant, Danny La Rue was another one. His stand up was supposed to be genius.
Bob Monkhouse on 00:05 - Apr 29 with 2502 viewsBest_loser

Bob Monkhouse on 23:54 - Apr 28 by WarwickHunt

Saw it a few years ago I think, it's very good

The BBC make the best docus
Bob Monkhouse on 00:21 - Apr 29 with 2488 viewsGlyn1

Bob Monkhouse on 22:04 - Apr 28 by cmajack

Comedy genius, absolutely brilliant. Jimmy carr doesn't even come close to Bob monkhouse as a comedy genius and neither do most of todays so called sub standard comedians.

Hey, I agree with you and Monnie. All I'm saying is that Jimmy Carr is the closest to him that we now have, not that he's as good!

Bob Monkhouse on 12:16 - Apr 29 with 2344 viewsWxmJax

He did a show on ITV about 25/30 years ago that aired about 11pm. One of the funniest things I'd seen. I'd only known him as a game show host until then.

Edit
Here's one from 1995, about an hour long

[Post edited 29 Apr 2020 12:36]

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Bob Monkhouse on 12:37 - Apr 29 with 2319 viewschad

Bob Monkhouse on 21:32 - Apr 28 by monmouth

Wash your mouth out and hang your head in shame man. Jimmy Carr in the same sentence as Bob Monkhouse. NO!

Shit, now look what I've done.....I'm having a bad night...

Monnie, so they say
Is the root of all evil today

Oops sorry wrong band
Bob Monkhouse on 12:37 - Apr 29 with 2318 viewsBDS

His autobiography 'Crying with laughter ' is well worth reading. Massive star in his day.
Bob Monkhouse on 12:52 - Apr 29 with 2306 viewsNotLoyal

There are superb comedians throughout the generations, but nobody comes close to Bob.
He would be the only one to find the words to describe.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Bob Monkhouse on 14:13 - Apr 29 with 2265 viewsHighjack

There was a cgi advert that they made after his death with him standing at his own grave talking about prostate cancer that was funny, morbid and thought provoking at the same time. I think he would have approved but it caused a bit of a scandal at the time.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Bob Monkhouse on 14:24 - Apr 29 with 2259 viewsHighjack

Bob Monkhouse on 00:21 - Apr 29 by Glyn1

Hey, I agree with you and Monnie. All I'm saying is that Jimmy Carr is the closest to him that we now have, not that he's as good!

All the comedians back then had to grind for years honing their craft in crappy little pubs, clubs and dancehalls sometimes in front of incredibly hostile audiences. Whereas nowadays the career path seems to be university –-> panel shows ––> Live at the Apollo ––> arenas.

A lot of the modern comedians are incredibly polished and can reel off their routines and be very funny but very very few can hold an audience and connect to them in the same way the likes of Bob Monkhouse or Billy Connolly used to.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Bob Monkhouse on 14:27 - Apr 29 with 2256 viewssainthelens

Bob Monkhouse on 12:52 - Apr 29 by NotLoyal

There are superb comedians throughout the generations, but nobody comes close to Bob.
He would be the only one to find the words to describe.

He wasn't everyone's cuppa tea, but Bernard Manning was the greatest teller of a gag. Saw him live a few times, best one being at the Starlight in Port Talbot.
Bob Monkhouse on 16:02 - Apr 29 with 2216 viewsJack59

I remember he came across a bit smarmy on TV shows like the Golden Shot, but I had the pleasure of chatting to him for 10 minutes or so in 1982, and you couldn't meet a nicer guy. He did a show in the Grand Theatre and arranged an after show party in a pub on the corner of Oxford St, it may have been called Murphy's.
He spent time with everyone at the party, and the most memorable thing of meeting him, was that he hardly spoke about himself, he just kept prompting and was very skilled in stimulating conversation from others. a very intelligent man.
VHS movie shops had just started at that time, and he'd spent his daytime in Swansea looking round the few Video rental shops, to look for any old movies for his collection.
I've met a number a few TV celebs over the years, Bob M is the only one I fondly remember.
Bob Monkhouse on 16:32 - Apr 29 with 2201 viewswaynekerr55

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024