Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? 04:09 - May 5 with 8440 viewsGlyn1

Maybe someone should start a poll.

For myself, absolutely I will.

But I completely understand the concerns of people who don't like Big Brother watching them and doubt if they will reach their percentage target, whatever that is.
[Post edited 5 May 2020 4:10]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 22:04 - May 5 with 1361 viewsdickythorpe

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 21:43 - May 5 by ploppy

65m people?

How often?
[Post edited 5 May 2020 22:18]

And you think tracing will work on that same number of people????
Do you know how many "tracers" you need per 100,000 people.
Christ the apps I download often crash or have issues.

The police can't even trace a handful of dog walkers on our beaches FFS
https://www-walesonline-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/news/
[Post edited 5 May 2020 22:04]
Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 22:14 - May 5 with 1348 viewsScotia

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 22:04 - May 5 by dickythorpe

https://www-walesonline-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/news/

BBC News - Coronavirus: Hands on with NHS Covid-19 contact-tracing app
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52551273

I have no idea if this has been posted before but answers a few questions.

In a nutshell, it doesn't use much power, you shouldn't have many false notifications, you only socially distance if you receive a notification unless the person who triggered the notification is positive then you isolate, it works on an iPhone and there is no mention of Cummings mates company being involved.

If that is correct then this app will work, it'll save lives and get us on the way back to normality.

I'm in and for the life of me I don't understand why anyone wouldn't be.
[Post edited 5 May 2020 22:17]
Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 22:14 - May 5 with 1348 viewsploppy

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 22:04 - May 5 by dickythorpe

It was a genuine question - are you suggesting everyone in the population should be tested? And if so, how often? I could test negative today, go to the supermarket tomorrow and test positive the day after.

They won't need to trace 65m people though - unless I've misunderstood what you mean.
[Post edited 5 May 2020 22:18]
Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 23:05 - May 5 with 1332 viewslondonlisa2001

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 21:25 - May 5 by ploppy

How do you know it's substandard crap? As apps go, it's pretty rudimentary (on the face of it anyway) - the hardest part, I suspect, is handling the bluetooth issues and any associated battery drain.

I know that successive governments have had problems delivering large NHS IT systems - but that goes back many years to at least when Labour were in government (yes, that long ago!) and the software was being developed by EDS (I think). Large software projects are a bloody nightmare - not least because they take so long to develop that by the time you think you're getting to the end, many things (including the software requirements probably) have changed. This app, at least in terms of requirements, development timescales and manpower required, is a bloody doddle. A fourteen-year old with a rudimentary knowledge of iOS/Android software development could knock one up. But you'd have even less transparency (and oversight) of the software in that case. I'm guessing you've never worked in the software industry - in that respect you're as bad as AFD commenting on ... well everything, really.

You're perfectly entitled not to install the app, but at least make it an informed decision (not "substandard crap" and "mates of the PM"), and take into account the risk/reward.

I'm quite curious to know why you think it won't help in London and what "risk" you'd be taking. My son lives in London - I bloody well hope he installs it, otherwise I'll be having a word.

The substandard issue I raise is with regard to the app not working on iPhones. The issue is referred to in the article posted earlier by ECB.

It’s to do with the way iPhones use Bluetooth when the apps are running in the background apparently.

You’re right - I know nothing about software. But it’s taken 1 day of any detail on how this works to be available in the public domain before tech experts have pointed out it can’t work on iPhones unless an activated android phone is in the vicinity. You’d imagine this may have been thought about before.

The London issue is two fold. One is to do with density. If you live in a flat, for example, you can see the Bluetooth of your neighbours at all times. I’m sure that’s true of other crowded cities. So if, for example, I’m in my mate’s flat and I can see the Bluetooth of their upstairs neighbours, the app will record me as being in contact with them all night. (The reason I’m aware of this is lots of examples of sitting in the evening in their flat, or garden, particularly garden, connecting to their speaker with my phone to play music - when you look for the Bluetooth for their Bose speaker, for example you can see half a dozen Bluetooth devices in range from the two flats in their building, and the three flats in the building next door).

Also, if we use a different app to the rest of Europe, if I’m on the Piccadilly line from Hammersmith in the morning, there are at least a dozen people in my carriage coming from Heathrow, any one of whom could have the virus, and my phone wouldn’t pick up contacts. If we’re honest, the chances of someone in Swansea meeting people who’ve flown in from another country that morning are not high. Even if we assume I won’t get on the tube, which I probably won’t, London is full of tourists all the time.

I’m not against the use of technology, and I have a quite sanguine attitude towards privacy, not least as I live in on of the most CCTV heavy cities there is, but I’d like a contract for such things to be awarded to someone other than the crew that have been found to treat private information with contempt fairly recently.

Let’s all hope that issues are resolved and that we don’t need it for very long anyway as events overtake it. I’d rather rely on distancing until those things happen.
Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 23:32 - May 5 with 1319 viewsDJack

Nope.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/05/05/uk_coronavirus_app/

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 00:37 - May 6 with 1304 viewshuwrichards57

The biggest problem will undoubtedly be nobheads lying - or just looking to mess about and wind up - about having symptoms, forcing certain people to isolate.
Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 02:44 - May 6 with 1288 viewsSingUpNorthBank84

It'll have all our front line emergency workers and key workers self isolating in a matter of days surely?
Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 03:22 - May 6 with 1281 viewsJackinexile1

What do you mean by "tracers"?
Login to get fewer ads

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 06:56 - May 6 with 1262 viewsScotia

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 23:05 - May 5 by londonlisa2001

The substandard issue I raise is with regard to the app not working on iPhones. The issue is referred to in the article posted earlier by ECB.

It’s to do with the way iPhones use Bluetooth when the apps are running in the background apparently.

You’re right - I know nothing about software. But it’s taken 1 day of any detail on how this works to be available in the public domain before tech experts have pointed out it can’t work on iPhones unless an activated android phone is in the vicinity. You’d imagine this may have been thought about before.

The London issue is two fold. One is to do with density. If you live in a flat, for example, you can see the Bluetooth of your neighbours at all times. I’m sure that’s true of other crowded cities. So if, for example, I’m in my mate’s flat and I can see the Bluetooth of their upstairs neighbours, the app will record me as being in contact with them all night. (The reason I’m aware of this is lots of examples of sitting in the evening in their flat, or garden, particularly garden, connecting to their speaker with my phone to play music - when you look for the Bluetooth for their Bose speaker, for example you can see half a dozen Bluetooth devices in range from the two flats in their building, and the three flats in the building next door).

Also, if we use a different app to the rest of Europe, if I’m on the Piccadilly line from Hammersmith in the morning, there are at least a dozen people in my carriage coming from Heathrow, any one of whom could have the virus, and my phone wouldn’t pick up contacts. If we’re honest, the chances of someone in Swansea meeting people who’ve flown in from another country that morning are not high. Even if we assume I won’t get on the tube, which I probably won’t, London is full of tourists all the time.

I’m not against the use of technology, and I have a quite sanguine attitude towards privacy, not least as I live in on of the most CCTV heavy cities there is, but I’d like a contract for such things to be awarded to someone other than the crew that have been found to treat private information with contempt fairly recently.

Let’s all hope that issues are resolved and that we don’t need it for very long anyway as events overtake it. I’d rather rely on distancing until those things happen.

As I understand one of the benefits of the centralised app over the Google one is that it can recognise things like the situation involving Bluetooth connections in other people's flats. At least that is what it says on the BBC article, I have no idea how that would work . It also says it works on iPhone.

I completely agree regarding the tube. I'd say transport is probably the main reason London ended up with so many cases, and this should be any area where an app plays a key role. Perhaps it will be compulsory to install it when entering the country? Although how that would be possible I don't know. Plus of course the French and others use a similar app to us too, maybe we need several apps if regularly in contact with travellers?

This doesn't seem not at all ideal, hopefully some sort of solution can be found but for now this seems to be all we've got.
Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 12:55 - May 6 with 1200 viewsdickythorpe

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 03:22 - May 6 by Jackinexile1

What do you mean by "tracers"?

Listen to Andrew Cuomo
Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 13:02 - May 6 with 1203 viewsJack_Kass

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 22:00 - May 5 by 3swan

Sorry if already posted somewhere else and slightly off topic but I've only just seen this article which shows recorded deaths by local area and post code. Either enter post code or the zoom buttons on the map. https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/map-reveals-number-coronavi

Sobering that.

They could have done so much more to keep this contained to the big cities.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 13:05 - May 6 with 1202 viewslondonlisa2001

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 06:56 - May 6 by Scotia

As I understand one of the benefits of the centralised app over the Google one is that it can recognise things like the situation involving Bluetooth connections in other people's flats. At least that is what it says on the BBC article, I have no idea how that would work . It also says it works on iPhone.

I completely agree regarding the tube. I'd say transport is probably the main reason London ended up with so many cases, and this should be any area where an app plays a key role. Perhaps it will be compulsory to install it when entering the country? Although how that would be possible I don't know. Plus of course the French and others use a similar app to us too, maybe we need several apps if regularly in contact with travellers?

This doesn't seem not at all ideal, hopefully some sort of solution can be found but for now this seems to be all we've got.

The Bluetooth aspect and how it works - people analysing data apparently. Bluetooth itself doesn’t have the ability.

The iPhone thing - I am not a tech person, but people who are say it won’t work. They have a similar problem with the Australian version of the app and they’ve shown iPhones not working to register contact. Again it’s only my understanding but they are saying only one of these apps can work on your phone, so you can’t run multiple apps.

As you say, hopefully a solution can be found, but I have no idea why we haven’t used the internally developed app other than it wouldn’t make enough money for the ‘right’ people.

Scotland look like they won’t use it btw from what Sturgeon has said. It’s going to be interesting to see what Wales does.
Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 13:06 - May 6 with 1202 viewsNotLoyal

So, if you have this virus how will the NHS get permission to put details on the app ?
It’s all a bit half hearted.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 13:11 - May 6 with 1200 viewslondonlisa2001

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 13:02 - May 6 by Jack_Kass

Sobering that.

They could have done so much more to keep this contained to the big cities.

It has been largely confined to big cities.

There are swathes of the country with hardly any deaths at all.
Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 13:53 - May 6 with 1183 viewsNotLoyal

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 13:11 - May 6 by londonlisa2001

N.Ireland is a good example, nobody here seems to give a toss.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 14:06 - May 6 with 1179 viewsProfessor

No
Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 14:18 - May 6 with 1168 viewsJack_Kass

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 13:11 - May 6 by londonlisa2001

Through strategic or coincidental means?

The Lombardi region was locked down around 2 weeks before the rest of the nation in Italy, 16 million people, double that of London.

Another note in the failed learnings, sadly.
[Post edited 6 May 2020 14:19]

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 17:38 - May 6 with 1127 viewsJackinexile1

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 14:18 - May 6 by Jack_Kass

Through strategic or coincidental means?

The Lombardi region was locked down around 2 weeks before the rest of the nation in Italy, 16 million people, double that of London.

Another note in the failed learnings, sadly.
[Post edited 6 May 2020 14:19]

Population density, cities use a lot more public transport.
Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 17:52 - May 6 with 1119 viewsOldjack

no .because they might want me to self isolate even if the main target just has the sniffles ,I not a heard a thing about testing the targets

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 17:53 - May 6 with 1119 viewsJack_Kass

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 17:38 - May 6 by Jackinexile1

Population density, cities use a lot more public transport.

No different to Milan, which in fact may be even more dense.

They bit the bullet early, while we were still washing our hands and taking it on the chin.

An inquiry to follow, without doubt.

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 17:58 - May 6 with 1111 viewsJackinexile1

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 17:53 - May 6 by Jack_Kass

No different to Milan, which in fact may be even more dense.

They bit the bullet early, while we were still washing our hands and taking it on the chin.

An inquiry to follow, without doubt.

London has 3 times the population of Milan.
Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 18:34 - May 6 with 1099 viewsJack_Kass

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 17:58 - May 6 by Jackinexile1

London has 3 times the population of Milan.

But a lower population density!

Argue the semantics all you want, if it makes you feel better.
[Post edited 6 May 2020 18:35]

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 18:46 - May 6 with 1081 viewslondonlisa2001

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 18:34 - May 6 by Jack_Kass

London’s has a lot fewer deaths than Lombardy though? I think, anyway.
Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 19:58 - May 6 with 1054 viewsJackinexile1

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 18:34 - May 6 by Jack_Kass

London has a lower population density than Milan?

I don't actually know, but that would surprise me.
Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 20:15 - May 6 with 1042 viewsJack_Kass

Will you download the new tracing app to your phone? on 18:46 - May 6 by londonlisa2001

London’s has a lot fewer deaths than Lombardy though? I think, anyway.

5000 deaths in London, out of 30,000 total

14,000 in Lombardy, out of 29,000 total

Next worst hit regions in Italy..

Emilia Romagna - 3700 - (130 miles from Milan)
Piedmont - 3200 (80 miles from Milan)
Veneto - 1568 (170 miles from Milan)
Liguria - 1243 - (80 miles from Milan)

A total of circa 23,000 out of 29,000 total Italian deaths, happened in these regions.

If we were to map out the equivalent area, from East to West, and North to South, the equivalent area, as best possible, would be to start from London, go up to Birmingham, and then to Haverfordwest, and back.

UK worst hit regions

Midlands - 4226
North West - 3230
North East/Yorkshire - 3018
South East - 2513

it goes on, only the South West (marginally), and Northern Ireland are not in the 1000's

We now have an area, using Newcastle as an example, that is 283 miles away from London, less distance than Milan is to Florence (Tuscany), and there has been the equivalent amount of deaths there, to the region of Piedmont, which is 80 miles outside of Milan.

Tuscany (Florence) deaths - 899
Latium (Rome) deaths - 538

The Italians contained the issue, we even had the luxury of a headstart

'Yeah but you can't compare the two'

BS! The governments negligence should account to manslaughter
[Post edited 6 May 2020 20:16]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024