Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July 08:05 - May 6 with 1829 viewsJackinexile1

This is going to be a very tough and delicate job, but obviously needs to be done. We can't afford it forever...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/05/rishi-sunak-preparing-to-wind-down
Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 08:39 - May 6 with 1799 viewsscottishjack

Going to be a very tough balancing act, I work in the pub trade and the future is completely up in the air at the moment. (I work for one of the larger companies and they’ve been excellent in looking after us up till now, along with help from the furlough scheme.)

Realistically, the government aren’t going to keep everyone happy whatever they do in this instance, agree that we can’t carry on with the furlough scheme forever...
Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 08:52 - May 6 with 1776 viewsItchySphincter

I haven’t even received a furlough payment from the government for the PAYE I’ve paid out yet and they’re talking over winding it down!

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 08:59 - May 6 with 1765 viewsWhiterockin

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 08:39 - May 6 by scottishjack

Going to be a very tough balancing act, I work in the pub trade and the future is completely up in the air at the moment. (I work for one of the larger companies and they’ve been excellent in looking after us up till now, along with help from the furlough scheme.)

Realistically, the government aren’t going to keep everyone happy whatever they do in this instance, agree that we can’t carry on with the furlough scheme forever...

Hospitality along with travel are going to be the hardest hit, social distancing will be a killer if it is with us into next year. I see places are opening up abroad at the moment some with perspex screens in between tables. My immediate thoughts are like public transport are people going to want to use these facilities when things get moving or are they going to be to scared.
Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 09:10 - May 6 with 1751 viewsscottishjack

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 08:59 - May 6 by Whiterockin

Hospitality along with travel are going to be the hardest hit, social distancing will be a killer if it is with us into next year. I see places are opening up abroad at the moment some with perspex screens in between tables. My immediate thoughts are like public transport are people going to want to use these facilities when things get moving or are they going to be to scared.

One of my colleagues left for a new job just before Christmas managing a bar in Bristol airport! Poor sod!

The bar I am in takes about 75% of our weekly sales over Friday and Saturday nights, that isn’t going to be in anyway manageable with social distancing in place. We’ll have to adapt when the time comes but luckily we’ve got the backing of a large company that gives us time. If I was still on a tenancy, or independent, my thoughts would be far different right now.

Very grateful for the furlough scheme giving us time to find our bearings...
Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 09:20 - May 6 with 1742 viewsJackinexile1

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 08:39 - May 6 by scottishjack

My mate runs a local pub, they had just taken out a business loan and began some major refurbishments when this all kicked off. Speaking to him on the phone, he honestly has no idea what is going to happen, I don't think anyone does?
Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 09:24 - May 6 with 1735 viewsItchySphincter

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 08:59 - May 6 by Whiterockin

Sports and live events are going to be the last up and running. First hit too. Most people in the industry are self-employed and unless you’re involved you’d have no idea what this government are making people do. Furlough and grants are great if you qualify but for most of us it’s loans just to survive, and then we’re going to have to pay back everyone else’s benefits, possibly more as firms are going to be queuing up to pay off staff when furlough ends.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 09:26 - May 6 with 1733 viewsBrynmill_Jack

In the press reports this morning a “senior government source” had said the country had become addicted to furloughing.

Sounds like they’ve grown tired of the country lazily scrounging money for nothing!

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 09:36 - May 6 with 1724 viewsBest_loser

3 trillion national debt here we come
Login to get fewer ads

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 09:37 - May 6 with 1721 viewsDr_Winston

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 09:10 - May 6 by scottishjack

One of my colleagues left for a new job just before Christmas managing a bar in Bristol airport! Poor sod!

The bar I am in takes about 75% of our weekly sales over Friday and Saturday nights, that isn’t going to be in anyway manageable with social distancing in place. We’ll have to adapt when the time comes but luckily we’ve got the backing of a large company that gives us time. If I was still on a tenancy, or independent, my thoughts would be far different right now.

My mother was lucky enough to have paid off the mortgage on her place last year. She's still got bills to pay and an obvious lack of income, but fortunately there's no tenancy costs or mortgage to pay at the moment.

Feel for anyone stuck in a shitty tenancy or having just taken on big financial commitments in hospitality recently. Been a lot of shiny new places opening up in the last year. A lot of them may struggle.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 09:57 - May 6 with 1704 viewsBest_loser

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 09:10 - May 6 by scottishjack

Imagine a pub where customers must stay 6 ft apart

It's not going to make a profit
Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 10:59 - May 6 with 1636 viewsCatullus

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 09:57 - May 6 by Best_loser

Imagine a pub where customers must stay 6 ft apart

It's not going to make a profit

It'd be 12ft surely, you'd need 6ft either side for people to go to the the bar or toilets!

Seriously, pubs were already dying out, this will kill a lot more much more quickly.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 12:54 - May 6 with 1574 viewsdickythorpe

Diversification is the key. Some owners who did nothing for last 4-5 weeks are slowly restarting in some form.

It will be very tough as no one knows the future.

Locals only under reduced capacity due to social distancing it will have to be until infection rates drop.

Weird and worrying times.
Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 13:07 - May 6 with 1567 viewslondonlisa2001

The furlough scheme will have to be adjusted and tweaked and gradually withdrawn at completely different times for different industries. It has to stay in place in full, for a lot longer yet for those in the hospitality industries.

But equally it will have to be withdrawn where that’s not the case, albeit very, very gradually.

Otherwise everyone can sit at home earning 80% of their salary and that obviously can’t happen.
Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 13:16 - May 6 with 1562 viewsBarrySwan

It would seem fairly obvious that when back open the public are going to be understandably reluctant to fully engage with their previous shopping and entertainment habits until all major or minor outbreaks of the virus have totally disappeared.

So the thought that footfall to businesses are going to return to what they were previously overnight or indeed anytime soon are probably less than nil.

Even really profitable businesses would struggle if they lost just 25% or so of their trade so I dread to think how those who were just making a profit or barely covering costs are going to survive whilst facing massive rate, mortgage or working loans costs.

Some very grim times ahead I would imagine.
Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 14:51 - May 6 with 1511 viewsbennytheblue

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 09:36 - May 6 by Best_loser

3 trillion national debt here we come

Don’t fret, we are owed over 2 trillion, have you ever seen the global debt model of who owes who what? What a joke....we should just call it quits with everyone and we’d all be debt free I tell u
Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 15:37 - May 6 with 1475 viewsCatullus

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 14:51 - May 6 by bennytheblue

Don’t fret, we are owed over 2 trillion, have you ever seen the global debt model of who owes who what? What a joke....we should just call it quits with everyone and we’d all be debt free I tell u

I posted similar on another thread, it's a very large circle of debt where countries in debt own debt from another country. Of course all the profits end up with the 1%, it's a massive scam to keep the poor downtrodden poor....and downtrodden!

My tinfoil hat is on order

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 17:36 - May 6 with 1433 viewsJackinexile1

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 10:59 - May 6 by Catullus

It'd be 12ft surely, you'd need 6ft either side for people to go to the the bar or toilets!

Seriously, pubs were already dying out, this will kill a lot more much more quickly.

Maybe rural pubs are dying out, but most city pubs were still rammed up every weekend up until midnight on the Friday lockdown started.
Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 19:09 - May 6 with 1400 viewsCatullus

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 17:36 - May 6 by Jackinexile1

Maybe rural pubs are dying out, but most city pubs were still rammed up every weekend up until midnight on the Friday lockdown started.

I don't know where you live but here in Swansea dozens of pubs have closed doen in the last 10 years and many were struggling up til the lockdown, this might kill quite a few off.

There was a WOL story about well known pubs in Swansea that are no more, some big ones that were very busy in years gone by.

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 19:12 - May 6 with 1389 viewsSwanjaxs

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 17:36 - May 6 by Jackinexile1

15 years ago maybe.

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 19:29 - May 6 with 1371 viewsCatullus

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 19:12 - May 6 by Swanjaxs

15 years ago maybe.

Maybe he means the pubs in areas like Wind street? Because those small clusters (which are often chains like Walkabout) are still busy. Your local pubs though, they are going to the wall in droves.
The Mumbles mile was famous but it's more walking than drinking these days, half those pubs are no more.

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 20:19 - May 6 with 1346 viewsbennytheblue

Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 19:29 - May 6 by Catullus

Maybe he means the pubs in areas like Wind street? Because those small clusters (which are often chains like Walkabout) are still busy. Your local pubs though, they are going to the wall in droves.
The Mumbles mile was famous but it's more walking than drinking these days, half those pubs are no more.

You’ll need ID to get in a pub again when they open too, it’s going to be a bit weird proving you are under 50. 🤣
Rishi Sunak preparing to wind down coronavirus furlough scheme from July on 20:45 - May 6 with 1332 viewsDr_Winston

It's becoming harder for your bog standard back street local to make enough money on a weekly basis to stay open. That's the critical thing.

When the Swans moved to Landore a few people thought that local pubs would make a killing. I'm not sure how many times the Mexico Fountain opened and closed in the first few years. Simple fact is one football match a fortnight ain't enough if the other thirteen days are dead.

It takes a lot of work and a lot of investment to keep a local open. At one point The Globe had something like 11 or 12 different sports teams playing from there (football, snooker, darts, pool). That's your bread and butter. That's a lot of people to keep happy enough that they'll keep using your pub as a base.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024