Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Old film of Swansea from 1960s 18:11 - May 7 with 3961 viewsbryncochjack

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-swansea-panorama-and-pastiche-1966-onl
Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 19:14 - May 7 with 3917 viewsdickythorpe

That looks fantastic. I will watch that and send it to my old man.
Excellent research.
Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 19:52 - May 7 with 3877 viewsMuteswan

Brings back a lot of memories ,being born in the early 50’s and living in Swansea all my life.
There are a lot of other films and photographs available on the web and a few Facebook groups that post many more if anyone is interested.
Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 19:55 - May 7 with 3875 viewsCatullus

I loved it! I remember some of it, the boating lake at Blackpill , Rotherslade bay with the old...what would you call it...facade, terrace? I remember going in there, down the steps and getting ice cream from the shop. After a few hours on the beach those steps back up and then that hill, it was a killer!

It's a great find, well done.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 21:19 - May 7 with 3807 viewsJack59

I believe one of the guys robing the new Mayor (3 minutes in) got into a spot of bother at the Vetch some years after the making of the film.
His name was Billy Carrol, one day he was in the old Centre Stand watching the match between the Swans and Northampton Town, possibly 1973. Frank Large was the Northampton centre forward and he belted the ball wildly into the crowd, unfortunately it hit a young lad in the face. Billy was nearby and was so incensed he left his seat and gave Frank Large a good right hook, he was promptly arrested by the solitary plod. It got massive publicity at the time, but I recollect Bill getting off very lightly indeed.
I've also got a feeling he may have played at quite a high level himself when he was younger.
Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 21:36 - May 7 with 3778 viewsraynor94

Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 21:19 - May 7 by Jack59

I believe one of the guys robing the new Mayor (3 minutes in) got into a spot of bother at the Vetch some years after the making of the film.
His name was Billy Carrol, one day he was in the old Centre Stand watching the match between the Swans and Northampton Town, possibly 1973. Frank Large was the Northampton centre forward and he belted the ball wildly into the crowd, unfortunately it hit a young lad in the face. Billy was nearby and was so incensed he left his seat and gave Frank Large a good right hook, he was promptly arrested by the solitary plod. It got massive publicity at the time, but I recollect Bill getting off very lightly indeed.
I've also got a feeling he may have played at quite a high level himself when he was younger.

My memory of the incident with Frank Large was that it would have been 1966/67, and yes a boy was hit in the face, but I thought he came on the pitch from the West terrace.

But Frank whacked him back, and as you say the bloke was arrested.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 00:06 - May 8 with 3701 viewstheloneranger

Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 21:36 - May 7 by raynor94

My memory of the incident with Frank Large was that it would have been 1966/67, and yes a boy was hit in the face, but I thought he came on the pitch from the West terrace.

But Frank whacked him back, and as you say the bloke was arrested.

The young boy who was struck by the ball and the guy who ran onto the pitch were both in what became the Family Enclosure, but it was in1969.

Frank Large was sent off, but was later cleared of any offence because it was accepted as self defence. Peter Hawkins, ex Penlan School was also sent off for Northampton that day.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 00:24 - May 8 with 3686 viewsairedale

Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 21:19 - May 7 by Jack59

He sounds a bit of a tearaway to me this Billy boy, mugging the new mayor and then going on to cause more trouble at the Vetch.
Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 01:06 - May 8 with 3659 viewsJack59

Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 00:06 - May 8 by theloneranger

The young boy who was struck by the ball and the guy who ran onto the pitch were both in what became the Family Enclosure, but it was in1969.

Frank Large was sent off, but was later cleared of any offence because it was accepted as self defence. Peter Hawkins, ex Penlan School was also sent off for Northampton that day.

Yes. I think they signed Peter Hawkins as a 16 year old, he was very short for a centre forward, but he had looked one hell of a prospect as a schoolboy, there were also another 7 or 8 exceptional local boys in that great Swansea Schoolboys team that lost so narrowly in the Final against Leicester City. I'm not sure what year that was, could have been 66/67 but they played some fabulous football.
I remember Peter Shilton pulling off a few incredible saves for them at the Vetch in front of a crowd just short of 20,000.
Login to get fewer ads

Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 09:16 - May 8 with 3574 viewsWarwickHunt

Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 01:06 - May 8 by Jack59

Yes. I think they signed Peter Hawkins as a 16 year old, he was very short for a centre forward, but he had looked one hell of a prospect as a schoolboy, there were also another 7 or 8 exceptional local boys in that great Swansea Schoolboys team that lost so narrowly in the Final against Leicester City. I'm not sure what year that was, could have been 66/67 but they played some fabulous football.
I remember Peter Shilton pulling off a few incredible saves for them at the Vetch in front of a crowd just short of 20,000.

Yep. Year sounds about right.
Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 09:32 - May 8 with 3565 viewstheloneranger

Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 01:06 - May 8 by Jack59

I think the year was 1965, but they shared the trophy with Leicester, because both games home/away were draws.

Beside Shilton in goal, Leicester had a flyer on the wing named Romeo Challenger ...
His claim to fame came a little later when he played the drums for Black Widow and Showaddywaddy.

Jeff Blockley was also in the Leicester team, and went on to play for Leicester, Arsenal and England.
[Post edited 8 May 2020 10:17]

Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 12:39 - May 8 with 3446 viewsGreatBritton

Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 09:32 - May 8 by theloneranger

I think the year was 1965, but they shared the trophy with Leicester, because both games home/away were draws.

Beside Shilton in goal, Leicester had a flyer on the wing named Romeo Challenger ...
His claim to fame came a little later when he played the drums for Black Widow and Showaddywaddy.

Jeff Blockley was also in the Leicester team, and went on to play for Leicester, Arsenal and England.

I was in the same class as a number of the lads in that Swansea Schoolboy team. Great blokes and I was amazed that none of them went on to become professional, though another classmate had already left to join Pompey, I think it was. Barry Joslyn. Silky inside forward.
Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 12:41 - May 8 with 3442 viewsGreatBritton

Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 19:55 - May 7 by Catullus

I loved it! I remember some of it, the boating lake at Blackpill , Rotherslade bay with the old...what would you call it...facade, terrace? I remember going in there, down the steps and getting ice cream from the shop. After a few hours on the beach those steps back up and then that hill, it was a killer!

It's a great find, well done.

The shop was Ron's Rendezvous. Ron was a cousin of mine. I say shop, it looked more like something out of a 60's prison drama.
Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 12:53 - May 8 with 3437 viewsGreatBritton

I started watching this film, fully expecting to catch a glimpse of myself on the mitch, scuttling down the Kingsway or up College Street toTop Woolworth's, but I got caught up in the images and started to wonder:
(a) why car manufacturers came up with names like Velox, Minx, Corsair, Vogue tec
(b) why it was compulsory to wear a hat
(c) how the film maker shot certain scenes without the aid of drone technology

Answers on a virtual postcard please
Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 18:02 - May 8 with 3376 viewstheloneranger

Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 12:39 - May 8 by GreatBritton

I was in the same class as a number of the lads in that Swansea Schoolboy team. Great blokes and I was amazed that none of them went on to become professional, though another classmate had already left to join Pompey, I think it was. Barry Joslyn. Silky inside forward.

Barry used to live opposite The Mountain Dew pub on Terrace Road. As a youngster he played left back, and the year before in 1964 played for Swansea schoolboys against London schoolboys to celebrate the Schoolboys Golden Jubilee.

In the Swansea team were Willie Screen, who went on to play for the Swans ... Cyril Davies played for Charlton and Wales ... Alan Thomas, father of hat -trick hero James Thomas.

In the London team were Trevor Brooking and Steve Kember.

Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 18:17 - May 8 with 3363 viewsraynor94

Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 09:32 - May 8 by theloneranger

My father and Doug Rosser senior, worked together at BSC Port Talbot, went with them to the Leicester game as Doug junior was playing for the Swans, I was 10 years of age.

Can remember Shilton playing a blinders, and coming from Mount Pleasant remember Barry Joslyn well
[Post edited 9 May 2020 9:31]

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 18:56 - May 8 with 3347 viewsjack2jack

Thanks for posting BJ, great.👍
Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 22:33 - May 8 with 3294 viewsGreatBritton

Old film of Swansea from 1960s on 18:02 - May 8 by theloneranger

Barry used to live opposite The Mountain Dew pub on Terrace Road. As a youngster he played left back, and the year before in 1964 played for Swansea schoolboys against London schoolboys to celebrate the Schoolboys Golden Jubilee.

In the Swansea team were Willie Screen, who went on to play for the Swans ... Cyril Davies played for Charlton and Wales ... Alan Thomas, father of hat -trick hero James Thomas.

In the London team were Trevor Brooking and Steve Kember.

I realise I was thinking about Cyril when I mentioned inside forward. I thought he'd gone to Pompey but it must have been Charlton. Faulty memory, eh.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024