Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? 00:06 - May 18 with 4066 viewsSwanjaxs

Llangennith for me.

Lucky enough that my Ma and Da had our caravan.

Mackerel were literally jumping out of the waves onto the sand on a late August evening in 76. All around were filling plastic bowls up with the buggers.

What's your first "happy place" holiday mems?

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 00:58 - May 18 with 2401 viewsBLAZE

We'd go strawberry picking in mid-Wales. We would always stop at Erwood - an old railway station turned cafe / art gallery / craft shop just outside Builth Wells

There was an old diesel engine there that you could climb in and play about on, which has since been fully restored. Cricket amongst the sheep shït, tree swing over the stingy nettles and a dip in the river Wye right next to it. Picnic food and hayfever.

Love that place - many memories with family since departed. Took my granddad there one last time a few weeks before he died. Not been since, but I need to. Maybe once lockdown is lifted.

Edit. In fact, given Bonys post this evening, I'm definitely going once lockdown is lifted.
[Post edited 18 May 2020 1:05]
Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 01:18 - May 18 with 2382 viewsSwanjaxs

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 00:58 - May 18 by BLAZE

We'd go strawberry picking in mid-Wales. We would always stop at Erwood - an old railway station turned cafe / art gallery / craft shop just outside Builth Wells

There was an old diesel engine there that you could climb in and play about on, which has since been fully restored. Cricket amongst the sheep shït, tree swing over the stingy nettles and a dip in the river Wye right next to it. Picnic food and hayfever.

Love that place - many memories with family since departed. Took my granddad there one last time a few weeks before he died. Not been since, but I need to. Maybe once lockdown is lifted.

Edit. In fact, given Bonys post this evening, I'm definitely going once lockdown is lifted.
[Post edited 18 May 2020 1:05]

Lovely times mush.

The best holiday was with your ma and da ❤

[Post edited 18 May 2020 1:19]

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 01:34 - May 18 with 2371 viewsBrynCartwright

The best place as a kid bar none, was a holiday home in Llechryd just outside Cardigan with daily trips to Mwnt beach. Magical times. Still love Mwnt so much to this day. It is a special place.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 05:07 - May 18 with 2317 viewsCaptain_Sham

Pobbles

Its just a ride.

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 06:39 - May 18 with 2293 viewsbennytheblue

Little/broad haven. You are right about the mackerel, out with my dad and uncle we’d come back with a boat full and give them away to whoever wants them on the beach. Likewise we would be given them other days. On the bbq, food from heaven in the havens.
You could scoop up white bait in the waves there were so many.
[Post edited 18 May 2020 6:42]
Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 07:38 - May 18 with 2262 viewsJinxy

Port Eynon for me - we had a caravan there. My mother was a teacher and father a miner (in Caerau, Maesteg). Every summer during the 6 week holiday he used to commute back and forth on an Ariel Leader 250 - up at 4am, back there by 5pm but he said it was always worth it. Unbelievable when I look back. Lovely memories.
Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 07:40 - May 18 with 2256 viewsBest_loser

Cardigan
Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 08:02 - May 18 with 2243 viewsPegojack

Aberavon beach. Catching a red double decker bus from Baglan down there. Much more sand down there then than now on the concrete steps. Big rollers, diving into the surf. Down to the fair afterwards at the end of the prom, and when slightly older, back across the road to the Sportsman bar of the Executive Hotel for a pint with all your schoolmates.
Login to get fewer ads

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 08:26 - May 18 with 2219 viewsDr_Winston

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 01:34 - May 18 by BrynCartwright

The best place as a kid bar none, was a holiday home in Llechryd just outside Cardigan with daily trips to Mwnt beach. Magical times. Still love Mwnt so much to this day. It is a special place.

My mum's got a static caravan about ten miles from Mwnt. It's her happy place too. She's gutted that she wasn't able to see out Covid down there.

For me I'll second Llangennith. Used to go down from Fri-Sun most good weekends in the Summer. Something about a Llangennith sunset you can't get anywhere else.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 08:42 - May 18 with 2205 viewstaffpunk

Rest Bay, Porthcawl for me. Park in the big car park, then seemed to walk for miles to where Mam and Dad liked to go, bit quieter there. Playing football, cricket, building sandcastles, 'swimming', eating salmon spread sarnies, then ice cream just before going home if we'd behaved ourselves...great times. Twenty years later we did exactly the same with our kids.
[Post edited 18 May 2020 8:48]

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 09:16 - May 18 with 2161 viewsCatullus

I lived in Mumbles, didn't need to go anywhere far. Many days were spent playing football on Underhill or Oystermouth Castle field, cycling the Prom: sometimes it was down the beach, Rotherslade usually but not very often and others I'd go over my Aunty's in Thistleboon, myself and my cousins and some friends would go up to some loacl farmland (which has houses on it now) we called it the Hilly fields and just play. Oftentimes we end up on the Mumbles Hill and would play on the old AA artillery site, that's been filled in completely now but you used to be able to go inside.

Twice we actually went anywhere else and all I remember is parents arguing!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 09:19 - May 18 with 2161 viewslonglostjack

Aberporth and Tresaith

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 09:45 - May 18 with 2127 viewsswan65split

Baglan, before it became the Metropolis it is today, the local woods, and deserted estate houses to explore, the mountain, Baglan beach and dunes before its destruction and the building of the monster BP .
Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 09:47 - May 18 with 2122 viewsswan65split

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 08:02 - May 18 by Pegojack

Aberavon beach. Catching a red double decker bus from Baglan down there. Much more sand down there then than now on the concrete steps. Big rollers, diving into the surf. Down to the fair afterwards at the end of the prom, and when slightly older, back across the road to the Sportsman bar of the Executive Hotel for a pint with all your schoolmates.

What era? are you from Maes Ty Canol, aged 65-70 ish, and a regular on the number 4@6 buses on Matchday?
Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 09:52 - May 18 with 2118 viewsFireboy2

My mam had no money so it was the beach by the slip for me and my brother, I will never forget getting sunburnt in the summer of 76, still got the pics and the mental scars
Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 10:36 - May 18 with 2088 viewsploppy

Caswell. Grandparents had a holiday bungalow thing hidden away in the area above the big car park. Sounds grand but it was basically an overgrown caravan without wheels. I'd spend weeks there in the summer hols. Used to get to the beach by going down a dodgy path through the woods that emerged at the back end of the big car park. Don't know if they (the bungalows, not the grandparents) are still there. No TV, no electricity, gas lights, outdoor toilet. Cricket on the "lawn" out front. Lots of card games and dominos (not the pizza). Long walk every morning to catch the double decker bus from the top of the hill to Oystermouth to get milk and stuff (no fridge obviously). Loved it. Happy days.
Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 11:34 - May 18 with 2042 views1983

My Nan & Grampa's in Lon Las about 40 yrs ago when everyone of their neighbours were called Uncle or Auntie....
My nan giving me 5p !! ( or as she would say 1 shilling) to buy sweets.
The smell of nice proper ripe tomato's it takes me back to being a little boy in their garden helping ( getting in the way ) my Grampa in his green house, they used to have a grumpy little attitude dog who hated everyone but loved me ! One of their neighbours used to have a goat to keep the brambles down and we would unchain him and he used to hang around with us all day and nobody would batter an eyelid!!
Going next door (my nan didn't have a phone) to use the phone to ring mam & dad to get picked up ....All those people I can picture now are no longer here.

Jesus wept take me back now

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 11:38 - May 18 with 2038 views1983

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 08:42 - May 18 by taffpunk

Rest Bay, Porthcawl for me. Park in the big car park, then seemed to walk for miles to where Mam and Dad liked to go, bit quieter there. Playing football, cricket, building sandcastles, 'swimming', eating salmon spread sarnies, then ice cream just before going home if we'd behaved ourselves...great times. Twenty years later we did exactly the same with our kids.
[Post edited 18 May 2020 8:48]

"Salmon spread sandwiches" we lived off them

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 11:40 - May 18 with 2031 viewsDarran

Baglan Resevoir,swimming,drinking and taking drugs.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 12:23 - May 18 with 1984 viewstaffpunk

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 11:38 - May 18 by 1983

"Salmon spread sandwiches" we lived off them

Still love them, going to have some for dinner, hopefully with no sand in them!

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 12:40 - May 18 with 1966 viewstheloneranger

Llangennith abs brilliant ... In the late 1950's, early 1960's you could hire wooden catamarans on the beach.

The boiling hot summer of 1976?? ... I spent all of that summer in a neighbour's daughter!! 😇😎

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 12:50 - May 18 with 1952 viewsGreatBritton

The Slip for me until my mother got fourpence together somehow and I could catch a number 64 to Pwll Du. These days any time a visitor comes who hasn't seen Pwll Du I take them there and smile when they express their astonishment at such beauty on my doorstep. Though one American vsitor asked me 'Does the tide go in and out much here?' Americans, eh?
Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 12:57 - May 18 with 1944 viewsTreforys_Jack

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 12:50 - May 18 by GreatBritton

The Slip for me until my mother got fourpence together somehow and I could catch a number 64 to Pwll Du. These days any time a visitor comes who hasn't seen Pwll Du I take them there and smile when they express their astonishment at such beauty on my doorstep. Though one American vsitor asked me 'Does the tide go in and out much here?' Americans, eh?

Back in the late 70's my Grandmother got remarried to an American naval officer, he was astonished at the level of our tides, never seen anything like it.
Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 12:58 - May 18 with 1941 viewsNeath_Jack

Pre-teens - Aberavon Beach, London & Porthcawl.

Teens - Everyf*ckingwhere.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Where did you spend your best summers when growing up? on 13:15 - May 18 with 1926 viewscmajack

Horton beach. Had fabulous family days out there as a child.Also tenby for caravan holidays.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024