Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly 18:04 - May 18 with 95390 viewskrunchykarrot

The time has come, second rate at best.
Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 16:32 - Oct 1 with 1206 viewstrampie

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 15:23 - Oct 1 by BarrySwan

Directly elected MEPs do not make the decisions and such a statement basically shows your lack of understanding of the EU.

They are no more than a front to pretend that the EU is a democratic institution to an often unsuspecting and gullible public, people such as yourself I suppose.

MEPs and the EU parliament cannot raise any legislation only try to amend it with their votes and suggestions often just ignored as suits

As a simple example just like the twice the MEPs voted to stop the obscene waste of resources and money transporting the whole circus to Strasbourg every month.

Two votes just ignored.

So explain to me and everybody else how MEPs make decisions?
[Post edited 1 Oct 2020 15:24]

They vote for or against or amend proposals.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 16:34 - Oct 1 with 1206 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 21:42 - Sep 30 by Catullus

Kilk would rather sign us over to unelected Eurocrats than have an elected parliament in England making decisions.

He always rails against the UK even though most Welsh people want to be in it. He'd give full control to Drakeford, which, to be fair, would leave us in no doubt who made the mess of things!

Just a minor point an elected British parliament that happens to sit in London. England has no parliament or devolution.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 16:37 - Oct 1 with 1203 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 16:32 - Oct 1 by trampie

Which the EU ignore 99% of the time. The EU parliament has voted not to accept the EU budgets for years but are ignored.

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 17:02 - Oct 1 with 1185 viewstrampie

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 16:37 - Oct 1 by felixstowe_jack

Which the EU ignore 99% of the time. The EU parliament has voted not to accept the EU budgets for years but are ignored.

They are more accountable and elected than the the English, the English have a monarchy, the English have a state religion, the English have a house of Lords, the English have hundreds of thousands of civil servants.
Most things in life are all relative and over here we don't stack up well for accountability, we have had politicians vote for war when they recon that the people wouldn't, politicians continued to do away with capital punishment when for many years they recon the people wanted it.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 17:24 - Oct 1 with 1172 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 17:02 - Oct 1 by trampie

They are more accountable and elected than the the English, the English have a monarchy, the English have a state religion, the English have a house of Lords, the English have hundreds of thousands of civil servants.
Most things in life are all relative and over here we don't stack up well for accountability, we have had politicians vote for war when they recon that the people wouldn't, politicians continued to do away with capital punishment when for many years they recon the people wanted it.

The house of lords is the second house in the British Parliament. England has not had it's own Parliament since the act of union with Scotland. Do try to at least understand the situation not make up your own version .

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 17:35 - Oct 1 with 1168 viewstrampie

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 17:24 - Oct 1 by felixstowe_jack

The house of lords is the second house in the British Parliament. England has not had it's own Parliament since the act of union with Scotland. Do try to at least understand the situation not make up your own version .

Our UK Parliament is English run, due to weight of numbers.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2020 18:04]

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 18:05 - Oct 1 with 1157 viewsCatullus

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 17:02 - Oct 1 by trampie

More accountabel and elected? Did youget a vote on the EU president then? Von der Leyen wasn't even a nominee to start with, she was parachuted in by Germany at the last minute and even in being the only nominee she only just scraped throught the MEP's vote. Which of the Commission did you vote for?

Then, if the people don't get a vote on it, how are they more accountable? Accountable to whom exactly? Not the people which doesn't exactly tally with democracy. Democracy, from the Greek, "Demos" meaning people "kratos" meaning power. Those EU "ministers were never elected by the people so are not accountable to us, they are only accountable to the MEP's and each other.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 18:08 - Oct 1 with 1154 viewstrampie

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 18:05 - Oct 1 by Catullus

More accountabel and elected? Did youget a vote on the EU president then? Von der Leyen wasn't even a nominee to start with, she was parachuted in by Germany at the last minute and even in being the only nominee she only just scraped throught the MEP's vote. Which of the Commission did you vote for?

Then, if the people don't get a vote on it, how are they more accountable? Accountable to whom exactly? Not the people which doesn't exactly tally with democracy. Democracy, from the Greek, "Demos" meaning people "kratos" meaning power. Those EU "ministers were never elected by the people so are not accountable to us, they are only accountable to the MEP's and each other.

I didn't get a vote on the Prime Minister of this country either.

Login to get fewer ads

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 19:04 - Oct 1 with 1138 viewsAndy1300

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 18:05 - Oct 1 by Catullus

Why anyone would want to be a part of this mob is beyond belief

Number 1 team in Wales

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 19:37 - Oct 1 with 1130 viewsCatullus

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 18:08 - Oct 1 by trampie

I didn't get a vote on the Prime Minister of this country either.

Why not? Or rather yes you did if you qualified to vote here. At the General election voting Tory meant having Bojo for PM, it was a given. If you voted for an MEP you wouldn't have had a clue who the next President would be.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 19:49 - Oct 1 with 1121 viewstrampie

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 19:37 - Oct 1 by Catullus

Why not? Or rather yes you did if you qualified to vote here. At the General election voting Tory meant having Bojo for PM, it was a given. If you voted for an MEP you wouldn't have had a clue who the next President would be.

Bojo originally became Prime Minister without winning a General Election, hmm I think May before him became Prime Minister without winning a General Election as well, come to think of it the same applied to Gordon Brown.
That is 3 of the last 4 PM's that were not leaders of their parties when their parties won their respective General Elections but got the job anyway at a later date, it happens all the time.
We vote for a party, we don't vote for a Prime Minister per se.

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 20:51 - Oct 1 with 1107 viewsBarrySwan

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 16:32 - Oct 1 by trampie

But their voted on decisions can and very often are totally ignored by the unelected bureaucrats who proposed the laws in the first place.

As in the example that I pointed out above.

So what's the point of them voting on anything? If only votes that are agreeable to those who are unelected and wield the real power are acceptable?
[Post edited 1 Oct 2020 20:57]
Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 20:58 - Oct 1 with 1097 viewstrampie

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 20:51 - Oct 1 by BarrySwan

But their voted on decisions can and very often are totally ignored by the unelected bureaucrats who proposed the laws in the first place.

As in the example that I pointed out above.

So what's the point of them voting on anything? If only votes that are agreeable to those who are unelected and wield the real power are acceptable?
[Post edited 1 Oct 2020 20:57]

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/lseupr/2019/02/19/is-the-european-union-governed-by-unel

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 22:39 - Oct 1 with 1075 viewsBarrySwan

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 20:58 - Oct 1 by trampie

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/lseupr/2019/02/19/is-the-european-union-governed-by-unel

I can only assume that you didn't bother to read your own link.

Thank you for more or less confirming my point.

I must confess that I thought that maybe I was missing somthing that you were highlighting when reading it but the very first comment following the article confirms that perhaps I wasn't and that you really had put up an article that more less confirms what I've been pointing out.

I'll leave you with the words of Mr Billy Collins whoever that may be, the aforementioned commentator on the article that you posted the link to :-

Billy Collins May 29, 2019 at 11:42 am - Reply

What was the point of this? You basically just explained that the EU really IS governed by “unelected beauracrats”. Just because that isn’t the long form term for them, doesn’t mean it isn’t a short term to describe them. You try to use the word “indirectly” to tip toe around just saying it straight: They are not elected, and not really accountable to anyone.

The members of the Commission are not elected by the people, yet they are the ONLY ones who can propose legislation. The Council of the EU, also composed of people who were unelected, can approve the legislation. In many national government there are members who are directly elected and others that aren’t, however in the Commission not a single one of them is elected by the people.

The only ones who are really elected by the people are the MEPs. Yet they have no power over what legislation is proposed, nor any power over the policy direction.

Also, “indirectly forced to resign” just means not really forced.They resigned because they were pressured to, not because anyone actually had the authority to force it upon them. They could have just ignored the pressure and stayed if they wanted to.

At no point did you say that anyone who was explicitly elected by the people actually has any genuine authority over these people, especially the Commission. Either they are accountable or they are not. Being able to “scrutinise” is not genuine accountability, so don’t try to sell it as if it is. Anyone can scrutinise, but the commission doesn’t have to listen.

Ultimately, at least for the Commission and Council, it’s all just a matter of trusting that these people will act in good faith. And if they don’t?
Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 00:00 - Oct 2 with 1055 viewstrampie

33,000 Euro bureaucrats plays 400,000 UK ones is it.

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 13:33 - Oct 2 with 1000 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 00:00 - Oct 2 by trampie

33,000 Euro bureaucrats plays 400,000 UK ones is it.

33000 unnecessary buearacrats as opposed to each of the 28 EU countries own government employees do proper work.

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 13:37 - Oct 2 with 998 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 22:39 - Oct 1 by BarrySwan

I can only assume that you didn't bother to read your own link.

Thank you for more or less confirming my point.

I must confess that I thought that maybe I was missing somthing that you were highlighting when reading it but the very first comment following the article confirms that perhaps I wasn't and that you really had put up an article that more less confirms what I've been pointing out.

I'll leave you with the words of Mr Billy Collins whoever that may be, the aforementioned commentator on the article that you posted the link to :-

Billy Collins May 29, 2019 at 11:42 am - Reply

What was the point of this? You basically just explained that the EU really IS governed by “unelected beauracrats”. Just because that isn’t the long form term for them, doesn’t mean it isn’t a short term to describe them. You try to use the word “indirectly” to tip toe around just saying it straight: They are not elected, and not really accountable to anyone.

The members of the Commission are not elected by the people, yet they are the ONLY ones who can propose legislation. The Council of the EU, also composed of people who were unelected, can approve the legislation. In many national government there are members who are directly elected and others that aren’t, however in the Commission not a single one of them is elected by the people.

The only ones who are really elected by the people are the MEPs. Yet they have no power over what legislation is proposed, nor any power over the policy direction.

Also, “indirectly forced to resign” just means not really forced.They resigned because they were pressured to, not because anyone actually had the authority to force it upon them. They could have just ignored the pressure and stayed if they wanted to.

At no point did you say that anyone who was explicitly elected by the people actually has any genuine authority over these people, especially the Commission. Either they are accountable or they are not. Being able to “scrutinise” is not genuine accountability, so don’t try to sell it as if it is. Anyone can scrutinise, but the commission doesn’t have to listen.

Ultimately, at least for the Commission and Council, it’s all just a matter of trusting that these people will act in good faith. And if they don’t?

Brilliant post sums up why the EU is undemocratic perfectly. No do the the EU fanatics will miss the point again.

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 13:37 - Oct 2 with 998 viewsonehunglow

Wales will never ever be an independent sovereign country.

Some are refusing to accept that .Nothing intrinsically wrong with that as its that passion for the homeland and excessive passion for homeland leads to disaster.

We are the world.

Wales is a speck on the surface of the globe in every way. Fact.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 13:54 - Oct 2 with 987 viewsCatullus

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 19:49 - Oct 1 by trampie

Bojo originally became Prime Minister without winning a General Election, hmm I think May before him became Prime Minister without winning a General Election as well, come to think of it the same applied to Gordon Brown.
That is 3 of the last 4 PM's that were not leaders of their parties when their parties won their respective General Elections but got the job anyway at a later date, it happens all the time.
We vote for a party, we don't vote for a Prime Minister per se.

The leader of the party at the time of the vote becomes PM. I can agree that if a PM resigns it should trigger a GE but now we have the fixed term thing.

It's another problem with UK politics that needs fixing. Up there along with not being able to sack MP's when they do stupid things like commit perjury or take a ride on a train when they know they are covid positive!

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 14:04 - Oct 2 with 979 viewstrampie

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 13:54 - Oct 2 by Catullus

The leader of the party at the time of the vote becomes PM. I can agree that if a PM resigns it should trigger a GE but now we have the fixed term thing.

It's another problem with UK politics that needs fixing. Up there along with not being able to sack MP's when they do stupid things like commit perjury or take a ride on a train when they know they are covid positive!

Was Bojo on your ballot paper at the last general election ?, he was not on mine, we don't vote for a PM

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 22:39 - Oct 2 with 942 viewsfelixstowe_jack

You have to laugh at the latest outpouring from Plaid. They are blaming Westminster for the spread of virus in Wales . Does he not know health matters in Wales are devolved to the Welsh Assembly which is run by a coalition of Labour and Plaid.

Cases per 100,000 of population
WALES 788
ENGLAND 708
NI 680
SCOTLAND 561.

Clearly the longer and more draconian lockdown measures in Wales have failed.

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 08:10 - Oct 3 with 920 viewstrampie

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 22:39 - Oct 2 by felixstowe_jack

You have to laugh at the latest outpouring from Plaid. They are blaming Westminster for the spread of virus in Wales . Does he not know health matters in Wales are devolved to the Welsh Assembly which is run by a coalition of Labour and Plaid.

Cases per 100,000 of population
WALES 788
ENGLAND 708
NI 680
SCOTLAND 561.

Clearly the longer and more draconian lockdown measures in Wales have failed.

Last I heard Labour was running a minority Government in Wales.

Lots of the population in Wales live in the South Wales valleys with lots of terraced houses huddled together with more of an open culture of popping into each others houses and granny living in the family home than some other areas of the UK.

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 09:46 - Oct 3 with 908 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 08:10 - Oct 3 by trampie

Last I heard Labour was running a minority Government in Wales.

Lots of the population in Wales live in the South Wales valleys with lots of terraced houses huddled together with more of an open culture of popping into each others houses and granny living in the family home than some other areas of the UK.

Yes you are correct labour is a minority party with 29 seats supported by by Plaid with 10 seats. Labour rely on plaid for a majority.
Not sure what point you making about terraced house in Wales it is not as if most large English towns and cities do no have terraced houses.

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 10:27 - Oct 3 with 896 viewstrampie

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 09:46 - Oct 3 by felixstowe_jack

Yes you are correct labour is a minority party with 29 seats supported by by Plaid with 10 seats. Labour rely on plaid for a majority.
Not sure what point you making about terraced house in Wales it is not as if most large English towns and cities do no have terraced houses.

They are not supported by Plaid, they tend to be supported by the Lib-Dem mind.
The Welsh are tactile unlike the aloof stiff upper lip English,
which according to some also came into play with the Spanish and Italians compared to the Germans and the spread of Corona.

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 08:27 - Oct 6 with 835 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Scrap the ineffective Senedd-Welsh Assembly on 10:27 - Oct 3 by trampie

They are not supported by Plaid, they tend to be supported by the Lib-Dem mind.
The Welsh are tactile unlike the aloof stiff upper lip English,
which according to some also came into play with the Spanish and Italians compared to the Germans and the spread of Corona.

Is that why Wales has the highest infection rate per 100,000 of any of the four home countries
1) Wales
2) England
3) NI
4) Scotland

You would have thought Wales would have been the lowest if the Welsh Assembly had be effective given most of Wales has a low population density and small cities.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024