Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The return of football 12:12 - May 24 with 4465 viewsDarran

People are being very silly aren’t they?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The return of football on 12:24 - May 24 with 3220 viewsexiledclaseboy

They need to get on with it.

Poll: Tory leader

The return of football on 12:31 - May 24 with 3203 viewsJackinexile1

Waw what a statement.
The return of football on 13:00 - May 24 with 3167 viewsjackrabbit

You've got to laugh. This was Michael Deacon in yesterday's Telegraph:
"Until the discovery of a vaccine, attempts to return to normal life will remain deeply challenging. Businesses, sporting authorities and organisers of cultural events will continue to face profound difficulties and restrictions.
Thankfully, the guidance below — announced exclusively in today’s column — should help the country take its first steps on the road to economic recovery, and gradually end the lockdown.

Football
At corners and free kicks, each defender must maintain a distance of at least two metres from the nearest attacking player. Premier League authorities have urged players at all clubs to follow the example set by Aston Villa, whose defenders have been demonstrating this approach all season."
The return of football on 16:09 - May 24 with 3043 viewsDr_Winston

Funny how being threatened with relegation makes teams more susceptible to Covid.

Footballers are young, healthy and very fit. They're at miniscule risk of developing serious problems as a result of contracting it and will be monitored far more closely than most. Set a date to resume and get on with it.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The return of football on 16:11 - May 24 with 3037 viewsJackinexile1

The return of football on 13:00 - May 24 by jackrabbit

You've got to laugh. This was Michael Deacon in yesterday's Telegraph:
"Until the discovery of a vaccine, attempts to return to normal life will remain deeply challenging. Businesses, sporting authorities and organisers of cultural events will continue to face profound difficulties and restrictions.
Thankfully, the guidance below — announced exclusively in today’s column — should help the country take its first steps on the road to economic recovery, and gradually end the lockdown.

Football
At corners and free kicks, each defender must maintain a distance of at least two metres from the nearest attacking player. Premier League authorities have urged players at all clubs to follow the example set by Aston Villa, whose defenders have been demonstrating this approach all season."

Yea...
The return of football on 16:22 - May 24 with 3020 viewsCatullus

The return of football on 16:09 - May 24 by Dr_Winston

Funny how being threatened with relegation makes teams more susceptible to Covid.

Footballers are young, healthy and very fit. They're at miniscule risk of developing serious problems as a result of contracting it and will be monitored far more closely than most. Set a date to resume and get on with it.

There's a lot of black players though and they are more susceptible. It's not just about the players, their families have to be considered, what if they have parents living with them?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The return of football on 16:32 - May 24 with 3007 viewsJackinexile1

what?
The return of football on 16:34 - May 24 with 3004 viewsNeath_Jack

Cancel the season an have another look in September.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Login to get fewer ads

The return of football on 16:35 - May 24 with 3002 viewsTreforys_Jack

The return of football on 16:34 - May 24 by Neath_Jack

Cancel the season an have another look in September.

Yep
The return of football on 17:29 - May 24 with 2970 viewsBest_loser

If Germany can do it we can

Get on with it
The return of football on 18:03 - May 24 with 2946 viewsdunvantjack100

The return of football on 17:29 - May 24 by Best_loser

If Germany can do it we can

Get on with it

Less than 1% of staff and players tested positive, more players will miss out through injury. Get on with it.
The return of football on 18:31 - May 24 with 2924 viewsFireboy2

I'm quite surprised at this post from you Doc.
The return of football on 19:01 - May 24 with 2895 viewsjack247

I’m naturally cynical, but I fully expect similar statements from Villa, Watford etc before too long.

I’m not against scrapping the season if it’s unsafe, but it’s a shame certain clubs seem to be viewing it as a get out of jail card.
The return of football on 19:15 - May 24 with 2883 viewsthornabyswan

The return of football on 18:31 - May 24 by Fireboy2

I'm quite surprised at this post from you Doc.

Me to Winston is the voice of reason on here.

Has his account been hacked by one of the more outdpoken on here.

Next thing he will be advocating that teachers start back.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

The return of football on 19:17 - May 24 with 2879 viewsLeonWasGod

The return of football on 16:22 - May 24 by Catullus

There's a lot of black players though and they are more susceptible. It's not just about the players, their families have to be considered, what if they have parents living with them?

Quite.
The return of football on 20:26 - May 24 with 2819 viewsplasjack

The return of football on 19:15 - May 24 by thornabyswan

I despair are you sleeping well.
The return of football on 06:14 - May 25 with 2646 viewsDr_Winston

The return of football on 19:15 - May 24 by thornabyswan

Some teachers never stopped. Schools have been partly open throughout. In other countries they're already open. In some they never closed in the first place. Not hearing of any major issues anywhere.

At some point those in the lowest risk groups are going to have to get back to it. Waiting at home for a vaccine or treatment that may never come is simply not an option. That will lead to more problems than the virus.

If retail workers, bus drivers, security guards, care workers or umpteen other professions can be back working with all the same things to deal with, professional footballers likely to be tested twice a week and receive the best of physical/medical care can certainly consider it.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The return of football on 09:20 - May 25 with 2573 viewsJinxy

The return of football on 06:14 - May 25 by Dr_Winston

Some teachers never stopped. Schools have been partly open throughout. In other countries they're already open. In some they never closed in the first place. Not hearing of any major issues anywhere.

At some point those in the lowest risk groups are going to have to get back to it. Waiting at home for a vaccine or treatment that may never come is simply not an option. That will lead to more problems than the virus.

If retail workers, bus drivers, security guards, care workers or umpteen other professions can be back working with all the same things to deal with, professional footballers likely to be tested twice a week and receive the best of physical/medical care can certainly consider it.

It's a tricky one. The only argument and balance I can see to resume professional football sooner than later, in parallel with some of the jobs etc. mentioned, is the short and longer term economic and hardship impact of clubs going out of business if they don't resume anytime soon. I'm not sure what that picture looks like, i.e. zero or low crowd attendance, TV money etc..

Otherwise playing football (and other contact sports) would be difficult to justify or prioritise alongside other key roles in society imho. As someone has said, it's CV-19's capability for onward transmission that's the bigger risk - 10 transmissions and it's 59,000 versus 14 with the 'flu.
The return of football on 12:25 - May 25 with 2479 viewsOneill_77

Uplifting to see Training resumed.

Long overdue. On-site medical expertise, highly tuned athletes, highly professional leadership team. What could possibly go wrong.
The return of football on 12:37 - May 25 with 2465 viewsthornabyswan

The return of football on 20:26 - May 24 by plasjack

I despair are you sleeping well.

Yes thanks why did I say something ti upset you.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

The return of football on 12:42 - May 25 with 2457 viewsthornabyswan

Yes my post was tongue in cheek after stating that I thought it was not unreasonable to expect teachers to resume with smaller classes and Staggered starts lunch breaks and got criticised on here for it.

I am aware some teachers have been workong from home as well.
[Post edited 25 May 2020 12:56]

The return of football on 12:53 - May 25 with 2445 viewsCatullus

Maybe the families of bus drivers and care workers who have died will disagree.

It's a difficult decision, we all want to get back to some kind of normal but we have to mitigate the risks too. Footballers won't be wearing any PPE or have perspex shields between them.

There are moe important sectors to get back to work than sport and if it's not safe for all business to open up why is it safe for a contact sport? Bearing in mind that even if you beat Covid there could be long term problems,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52506669

But then, I am talking from the perspective of a high risk person, told to shield who is taking into account the extra risk to BAME players and families. If you're young, fit and white it's not such an issue.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The return of football on 18:40 - May 25 with 2323 viewsperplex

The return of football on 16:22 - May 24 by Catullus

That's the reason for the testing, and to get things moving as safely as possible, the alternative is to keep everything shut down and to continue to let all the people who can not get access to early diagnosis and treatment of far more serious diseases because of the lockdown to lose there lives and in the meantime continue to destroy the economy and all the other nightmares this lockdown is going to bring.
The return of football on 07:36 - May 26 with 2198 viewsWhiterockin

The return of football on 18:40 - May 25 by perplex

That's the reason for the testing, and to get things moving as safely as possible, the alternative is to keep everything shut down and to continue to let all the people who can not get access to early diagnosis and treatment of far more serious diseases because of the lockdown to lose there lives and in the meantime continue to destroy the economy and all the other nightmares this lockdown is going to bring.

Disagree.

Putting football on hold does not mean keeping everything shut down. Football in my mind is not a priority at the moment, yes everything needs to start to move forward, but football can wait. After all what is football without supporters.
The return of football on 10:11 - May 26 with 2116 viewsBest_loser

The return of football on 07:36 - May 26 by Whiterockin

Disagree.

Putting football on hold does not mean keeping everything shut down. Football in my mind is not a priority at the moment, yes everything needs to start to move forward, but football can wait. After all what is football without supporters.

What difference will waiting any longer make ?

It's going to be a ages before stadiums are full of fans, they need to conclude the season

They will be safer than most other workers returning to work, tested every few days
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024