Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pandemic rules in Wales 08:36 - May 29 with 8999 viewslegoman

After folks views. Mrs L and I live in Bromley. Her parents who are both in their 80s live in Killay. My mum, also mid 80s, is resident in a care home in Sketty.

We note Wales' rules differ from England and we realise we can't travel to Swansea at the moment.

Assuming Welsh rules relax soon along the same lines as England, we will soon be allowed to travel and visit our parents by going into gardens and social distancing.

Now, my sister-in-law has a flat in the marina but lives in Chester with her husband. They are Jacks and visit every weekend there is a home game. They stay in the flat.

My question is, would Mrs L and I be allowed to travel to Swansea for a few days and stay in the flat (not when it's occupied)? I guess it's a situation akin to hiring an Airbnb and I believe they are not renting at the moment.

Views?

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

Pandemic rules in Wales on 08:54 - May 29 with 4166 viewssP7qupUf

Under Welsh rules at it stands the answer is no.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 08:54 - May 29 with 4165 viewsBrynCartwright

Sorry you are so far away from your parents legoman, I hope that you have been able to Skype, Zoom or WhatsApp them.

Personally I do not see any problem with you using the flat, but could it be perceived as a 'holiday home' type situation, which, as far as I am aware, are still under restriction? I believe the restriction on prolonged stays away from home would have to be lifted before you could take advantage of the marina flat.

Unless of course, you're surname is Cummings, in which case you can do absolutely fkn anything!

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Pandemic rules in Wales on 09:08 - May 29 with 4143 viewsjack_lord

Are the rules different in England. If her parents lived in Liverpool, would you be able to stay in a flat in that city? I'm not being flippant just don't know.
I did see a senior police officer in Swansea being visited by her parents last night (also visiting their grandkids so whilst they broke the current Welsh rules it is so hard on them and I empathise but what is point of the rules anymore as they are flouted so often and by so many.
I think that we just have to go with social distancing. I know it is a long drive from Bromley, especially back and forth. You would already be here so how can an overnight stay in private accommodation be any different to driving straight back

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Pandemic rules in Wales on 09:58 - May 29 with 4086 viewslegoman

Pandemic rules in Wales on 08:54 - May 29 by BrynCartwright

Sorry you are so far away from your parents legoman, I hope that you have been able to Skype, Zoom or WhatsApp them.

Personally I do not see any problem with you using the flat, but could it be perceived as a 'holiday home' type situation, which, as far as I am aware, are still under restriction? I believe the restriction on prolonged stays away from home would have to be lifted before you could take advantage of the marina flat.

Unless of course, you're surname is Cummings, in which case you can do absolutely fkn anything!

Thanks Bryn, pretty much what I thought. I note today that only local travel is permitted in Wales so that scuppers things somewhat.

We'll just have to keep an eye out.

Skype has been very useful and does make it feel as if we are closer.

Keep safe!

Pandemic rules in Wales on 10:00 - May 29 with 4083 viewsexhmrc1

Travelling from Bromley to Swansea will not be allowable under WAG rules which allow for local travel only and thankfully the WAG are much more sensible on this than the idiots in Westminster. The result of the WAG's policy is that the numbers in our area are extremely low and hopefully we might be able to put coronavirus behind us shortly if everyone follows the rules. Yesterday there were 72 new cases in Wales and 30 of those were in North Wales with a further 5 in Powys. Of the 37 cases in South Wales 6 were in Cardiff, 7 in Rhondda Cynon Taff and 9 in the Vales of Glamorgan leaving 15 in the rest of South Wales.

There were no new cases yesterday in Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire and 1 each in Bridgend and Neath Port Talbot. Swansea had 5 new cases. Over the last 5 days Swansea has had 19 new cases and Neath Port Talbot 7.

The other issue is that residential care homes are not taking visitors at the moment.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 10:01 - May 29 with 4081 viewslegoman

Pandemic rules in Wales on 09:08 - May 29 by jack_lord

Are the rules different in England. If her parents lived in Liverpool, would you be able to stay in a flat in that city? I'm not being flippant just don't know.
I did see a senior police officer in Swansea being visited by her parents last night (also visiting their grandkids so whilst they broke the current Welsh rules it is so hard on them and I empathise but what is point of the rules anymore as they are flouted so often and by so many.
I think that we just have to go with social distancing. I know it is a long drive from Bromley, especially back and forth. You would already be here so how can an overnight stay in private accommodation be any different to driving straight back

Thanks Jack. You're right and we would not be able to use a "second home" in Liverpool, unless we change our names to Cummings of course.

Wales will have to relax it's "local travel" rule and hotels/Airbnbs will have to start operating before we could use the flat I suspect

Pandemic rules in Wales on 10:03 - May 29 with 4076 viewsCatullus

I agree with your last line, wouldn't driving down and back be less safe than an overnight stay as long as they obey distancing etc.

Now the other bit, the senior police officer breaking the rules...that is a whole other matter. This senior officer is responsible for upholding the rules but is breaking them, that has to be a disciplinary matter. Now you posted it on here it's public information, an accusation of rule breaking, it's no better than Cummings and you can't justify it with everyone is doing it because most of us aren't.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Pandemic rules in Wales on 10:55 - May 29 with 4008 viewsdickythorpe

Say you are self isolating in the flat.
Login to get fewer ads

Pandemic rules in Wales on 11:02 - May 29 with 3998 viewsJack_Meoff

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Pandemic rules in Wales on 11:20 - May 29 with 3977 viewslondonlisa2001

Pandemic rules in Wales on 10:00 - May 29 by exhmrc1

Travelling from Bromley to Swansea will not be allowable under WAG rules which allow for local travel only and thankfully the WAG are much more sensible on this than the idiots in Westminster. The result of the WAG's policy is that the numbers in our area are extremely low and hopefully we might be able to put coronavirus behind us shortly if everyone follows the rules. Yesterday there were 72 new cases in Wales and 30 of those were in North Wales with a further 5 in Powys. Of the 37 cases in South Wales 6 were in Cardiff, 7 in Rhondda Cynon Taff and 9 in the Vales of Glamorgan leaving 15 in the rest of South Wales.

There were no new cases yesterday in Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire and 1 each in Bridgend and Neath Port Talbot. Swansea had 5 new cases. Over the last 5 days Swansea has had 19 new cases and Neath Port Talbot 7.

The other issue is that residential care homes are not taking visitors at the moment.

“thankfully the WAG are much more sensible on this than the idiots in Westminster. The result of the WAG's policy is that the numbers in our area are extremely low “

And yet Swansea has had 1262 confirmed cases, from a population of 246,993 ( so 1 per 196) and a population density of 649 people per sq km.

And Hammersmith & Fulham (where I live) has had 663 cases, from a population of 185,143 (so 1 per 297) with a population density of 11,000 people per sq km.

And Hammersmith & Fulham has a far larger BAME population as well and the virus was widespread sooner, before lockdown kicked in.

So who knows what’s affecting what. It’s not as simple as you suggest. And certainly the facts don’t support you on the Welsh Government’s handling of this, which from the outside, appears even more inept in many areas than Westminster.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 12:22 - May 29 with 3915 viewsvetchonian

Pandemic rules in Wales on 11:20 - May 29 by londonlisa2001

“thankfully the WAG are much more sensible on this than the idiots in Westminster. The result of the WAG's policy is that the numbers in our area are extremely low “

And yet Swansea has had 1262 confirmed cases, from a population of 246,993 ( so 1 per 196) and a population density of 649 people per sq km.

And Hammersmith & Fulham (where I live) has had 663 cases, from a population of 185,143 (so 1 per 297) with a population density of 11,000 people per sq km.

And Hammersmith & Fulham has a far larger BAME population as well and the virus was widespread sooner, before lockdown kicked in.

So who knows what’s affecting what. It’s not as simple as you suggest. And certainly the facts don’t support you on the Welsh Government’s handling of this, which from the outside, appears even more inept in many areas than Westminster.

Its quite ironic I have continued to travel to work as per Governemtn instructions as I cannot work form home.....my daily commute is 37 miles each way yet I cannot visit my family who live 9 miles away!

There is no consistency or real science to any of the Governments ( both Westminster and WAG) approaches, I understand the "staying local" logic yet many of us are permitted to travel outside of this 5 mile radius for work purposes and be in contact with more than 6 people whilst still socially distancing.

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Pandemic rules in Wales on 12:22 - May 29 with 3915 viewsexhmrc1

We havent had to close hospitals here like in Weston or had masses on the beaches like in England. Patrick Vallance yesterday mentioned 8000 new cases per day in the UK. Compare that with 72 in Wales and ask whose policy is working.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 13:02 - May 29 with 3871 viewsJack_Kass

Don't see why you should have any issues at this moment in time, exercise common sense
and you'll be fine.

And the truth is most people have or are doing similar, if the risk is low*

*Although they may not be represented on PS, before the cavalry arrives

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Pandemic rules in Wales on 13:10 - May 29 with 3859 viewslondonlisa2001

Pandemic rules in Wales on 12:22 - May 29 by exhmrc1

We havent had to close hospitals here like in Weston or had masses on the beaches like in England. Patrick Vallance yesterday mentioned 8000 new cases per day in the UK. Compare that with 72 in Wales and ask whose policy is working.

You’re comparing apples and oranges.

The official cases (the equivalent to your 72 for Wales and 5 for Swansea) show Hammersmith & Fulham record 1 case yesterday.

The 8000 figure is an estimate of all possible infections, most of which are unrecorded.

The situation in Weston, which is worrying, is due to a large number of hospital staff there testing positive. Hospital staff in Wales are still, unfortunately, unable to access swift testing.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 13:29 - May 29 with 3819 viewsvetchonian

Pandemic rules in Wales on 13:10 - May 29 by londonlisa2001

The official cases (the equivalent to your 72 for Wales and 5 for Swansea) show Hammersmith & Fulham record 1 case yesterday.

The 8000 figure is an estimate of all possible infections, most of which are unrecorded.

The situation in Weston, which is worrying, is due to a large number of hospital staff there testing positive. Hospital staff in Wales are still, unfortunately, unable to access swift testing.

Revenue inspectors and accountants pitting their wits against each other...nothing ever changes
[Post edited 29 May 2020 13:33]

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Pandemic rules in Wales on 13:40 - May 29 with 3794 viewsexhmrc1

Pandemic rules in Wales on 13:10 - May 29 by londonlisa2001

But there were no new cases recorded yesterday in Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire, Blaenau Gwent and Newport and only 1 each in Neath Port Talbot, Bridgend, Blaenau Gwent, Torfaen and Monmouthshire. You cannot just ignore the fact is the WAG policy is working. Aneurin Bevan Health Board had 5 new cases yesterday down from 100 at its peak. Swansea Bay health board had 6 new cases. This down from 72 at its peak.

As for nursing staff testing the Liberty has been set for 360 tests per day to cover NHS staff in Swansea. There is a further testing station in Margam.. Yesterday in Swansea there was 192 tests with 5 confirmed and Neath Port Talbot 86 tests with 1 confirmed case showing the full capacity for NHS staff was not used by them.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 13:59 - May 29 with 3759 viewsDr_Winston

Pandemic rules in Wales on 13:40 - May 29 by exhmrc1

But there were no new cases recorded yesterday in Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire, Blaenau Gwent and Newport and only 1 each in Neath Port Talbot, Bridgend, Blaenau Gwent, Torfaen and Monmouthshire. You cannot just ignore the fact is the WAG policy is working. Aneurin Bevan Health Board had 5 new cases yesterday down from 100 at its peak. Swansea Bay health board had 6 new cases. This down from 72 at its peak.

As for nursing staff testing the Liberty has been set for 360 tests per day to cover NHS staff in Swansea. There is a further testing station in Margam.. Yesterday in Swansea there was 192 tests with 5 confirmed and Neath Port Talbot 86 tests with 1 confirmed case showing the full capacity for NHS staff was not used by them.

It's almost as if it's easier to stem a viral transmission in Bridgend than Birmingham.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Pandemic rules in Wales on 14:11 - May 29 with 3735 viewsexiledclaseboy

Disappointing that this is sometimes couched in "Wales v England" terms as it relates to the handling of the pandemic. Both Welsh and English governments have been inept and in some cases downright negligent in their handling of aspects of this. But I'm personally much more comfortable with the slower rate of easing restrictions in Wales than is happening elsewhere. My perception (and it is only that, other views are available) is that decision in Wales are being taken for the right reasons whether you agree with those decisions or not whereas the English government is now clearly easing restrictions and making announcements to distract from the ongoing Cummings saga and the myriad of other messes they've made for themselves.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Tory leader

Pandemic rules in Wales on 14:13 - May 29 with 3729 viewsHighjack

Pandemic rules in Wales on 14:11 - May 29 by exiledclaseboy

Disappointing that this is sometimes couched in "Wales v England" terms as it relates to the handling of the pandemic. Both Welsh and English governments have been inept and in some cases downright negligent in their handling of aspects of this. But I'm personally much more comfortable with the slower rate of easing restrictions in Wales than is happening elsewhere. My perception (and it is only that, other views are available) is that decision in Wales are being taken for the right reasons whether you agree with those decisions or not whereas the English government is now clearly easing restrictions and making announcements to distract from the ongoing Cummings saga and the myriad of other messes they've made for themselves.

I read today that Japan and South Korea have had quite a spike in cases/deaths since re-opening schools so they’re going back into lockdown again.

This isn’t going away any time soon.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Pandemic rules in Wales on 14:18 - May 29 with 3717 viewsexhmrc1

Pandemic rules in Wales on 13:59 - May 29 by Dr_Winston

It's almost as if it's easier to stem a viral transmission in Bridgend than Birmingham.

https://t.co/P6UF1MTOwc?amp=1
https://t.co/RwgHDufHE7?amp=1

These are todays figures just released by Public Health Wales. It shows slight increase again due to increase in North Wales and Rhondda Cynon Taff with slight differences elsewhere. Swansea and Neath Port Talbot had 2 cases each which can be shown hovering on map of top link.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 14:23 - May 29 with 3702 viewslondonlisa2001

Pandemic rules in Wales on 13:40 - May 29 by exhmrc1

Yes, and as I said there was 1 in Hammersmith & Fulham. 1 in Lambeth. 0 in Ealing. 0 in Croydon. 0 in Brent. 3 in Southwark. 1 in Bromley.

The population of that lot is about 2.2m. You said there were 37 cases in South Wales? Population about 2.2m.

I don’t assume the cases are far lower in London than in Wales because of the decisions of the Westminster government. They are because that’s where we are in the virus timetable. Same in Wales. It goes down because of where we are.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 14:26 - May 29 with 3695 viewslifelong

This.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 14:32 - May 29 with 3688 viewslondonlisa2001

It’s always being couched in Wales vs England terms as people are obsessed with making it party political and doing a ‘WG good’ ‘Westminster bad’ analysis which is simply not based in fact.

This whole situation seems to bear less correlation to the measures taken than to factors such as population density, demographics, underlying health issues etc etc.

The rate of easing lockdown in England seems far quicker than it actually is, largely due to a series of breathless announcements made to, as you point out, distract.

There is actually very little difference between what we can do and what can be done in Wales and Scotland. Drive for exercise is about it when you actually look at it. The whole meeting people outside bit as long as socially distant is a complete red herring. It poses no further risk to see someone you know from 2 metres than someone you work with from 2 metres.

In the doing stuff for the right reasons - I don’t think any of them are. Wales changed its policy overnight due to Gething being caught having a picnic on the bank holiday weekend.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 14:36 - May 29 with 3678 viewskrunchykarrot

I cant see anything wrong with this, just remember you will have to take a wazz in a bush and disinfect flat before you leave.

But the man from the Senned has said no, as his scientists disagree with the rest of the country.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:10 - May 29 with 3637 viewsCatullus

Pandemic rules in Wales on 14:18 - May 29 by exhmrc1

https://t.co/P6UF1MTOwc?amp=1
https://t.co/RwgHDufHE7?amp=1

These are todays figures just released by Public Health Wales. It shows slight increase again due to increase in North Wales and Rhondda Cynon Taff with slight differences elsewhere. Swansea and Neath Port Talbot had 2 cases each which can be shown hovering on map of top link.

Out of interest, how many tests were done in England as against Wales? Then how many of those new cases were discovered because of the tests?
If new English cases are being discovered because of testing, it doesn't mean Wales is doing better it just means we have no actual idea how many new cases we have. Which, to me anyway, is a more dangerous position.
When, on lowering our lockdown restrictions, we don't know how many new cases we've been having we could be walking into a minefield.
England on the other hand are walking into a minefield for different reasons, as ECB points out.
So in my book, while the resons are different the outcomes are going to be similar because Westminster and the WG are both rubbish.
Hindsight might prove me wrong, we'll see.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024