Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to 20:31 - Jun 3 with 6704 viewsGlyn1

Recently I've been getting a lot of trial offers from the Times, Telegraph, Independent and so on, and wonder which ones do people pay for and consider value for money.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 20:35 - Jun 3 with 6003 viewsFireboy2

None they all peddle sh!te.
What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 20:37 - Jun 3 with 5995 viewsDarran

Pay to read newspapers? lol

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 20:50 - Jun 3 with 5964 viewsleighton1318

I took The Times on trial - £8 for 8 weeks. I used to only buy the Saturday, and on other days would occasionaly read it free in Nero while popping out from work.

It will shortly default to £26 per month and on balance I think I will keep it. Lots of useful freebies to pass the time like crosswords and Sudoku and there are some columnists I do like.

I’m saving over £50 on commuting (bus pass) which I suppose is an offset.

Edit - nothing in the Times (apart from Hugo Rifkind on Saturdays) is as funny as John Crace in the Guardian though. Fortunately he is free online .... I have paid my dues to the Graun over many years so have no conscience about clawing something back.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 20:58]
What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 21:10 - Jun 3 with 5938 viewsKingstonJack

Another vote for the Times online, 5 devices 😉 and what I think is a good balanced read.
What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 21:35 - Jun 3 with 5926 viewsSwanjaxs

Haven't bought a newspaper since the Daily Sport wen under.

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 21:52 - Jun 3 with 5912 viewssquarebear

Last time I bought a physical copy of The Guardian it was three quid-odd. Outrageous, I felt, though I guess their costs aren't insignificant.

I read their online copy "cover-to-cover" daily and donate a laughable £50 per annum for the privilege.

I've enjoyed some recent Independent stuff so may soon subscribe to that too.
What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 23:12 - Jun 3 with 5866 viewsCatullus

I just use my news feed and read whichever article that catches my eye. Pay for them, never.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 03:17 - Jun 4 with 5832 viewsGlyn1

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 20:35 - Jun 3 by Fireboy2

None they all peddle sh!te.

With great respect Fireboy, bollox!

Seriously, which sites do you trust, where do you get your news, should I sign on to them?

We've now reached the point where local radio stations are being closed down, and local newspapers can't afford to have reporters sitting around in court or in council meetings. It shouldn't be like this. I'm happy to pay for news rather than read pap from free newspapers filled with press releases. Just don't know which ones to go with. Will probably go with the Telegraph because it has the opposite of my views, so it will challenge my opinions. And the Times cost is insane (more than the BBC licence fee).

Login to get fewer ads

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 03:17 - Jun 4 with 5830 viewsGlyn1

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 20:37 - Jun 3 by Darran

Pay to read newspapers? lol

But do you pay to buy actual paper newspapers?
[Post edited 4 Jun 2020 3:21]

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 03:18 - Jun 4 with 5829 viewshuwrichards57

Paid 30 quid or so for The Athletic and it's been half decent.
What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 03:20 - Jun 4 with 5827 viewsGlyn1

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 20:50 - Jun 3 by leighton1318

I took The Times on trial - £8 for 8 weeks. I used to only buy the Saturday, and on other days would occasionaly read it free in Nero while popping out from work.

It will shortly default to £26 per month and on balance I think I will keep it. Lots of useful freebies to pass the time like crosswords and Sudoku and there are some columnists I do like.

I’m saving over £50 on commuting (bus pass) which I suppose is an offset.

Edit - nothing in the Times (apart from Hugo Rifkind on Saturdays) is as funny as John Crace in the Guardian though. Fortunately he is free online .... I have paid my dues to the Graun over many years so have no conscience about clawing something back.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 20:58]

Almost a pound a day? £300+ a year? Wow, makes the BBC licence fee look like a bargain.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2020 3:22]

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 03:22 - Jun 4 with 5822 viewsGlyn1

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 03:18 - Jun 4 by huwrichards57

Paid 30 quid or so for The Athletic and it's been half decent.

Why did you do that? What does it cover? I don't know it and I'm interested to know. Got a link?
[Post edited 4 Jun 2020 3:25]

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 07:34 - Jun 4 with 5726 viewsCaptain_Sham

Metro. Just the facts. A rarity.

Its just a ride.

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 07:35 - Jun 4 with 5723 viewsVetchfielder

I don't really feel I need access to more news than I am able to seek out or get exposed to but I have made 2 donations to The Guardian because I think they do a great job and generally reflect my views on things

Proud to have been one of the 231

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 07:44 - Jun 4 with 5717 viewsHighjack

Newsnow website. Get a good variety of articles from all sorts of publications about any subject you can think of.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 09:51 - Jun 4 with 5676 viewsFireboy2

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 03:17 - Jun 4 by Glyn1

With great respect Fireboy, bollox!

Seriously, which sites do you trust, where do you get your news, should I sign on to them?

We've now reached the point where local radio stations are being closed down, and local newspapers can't afford to have reporters sitting around in court or in council meetings. It shouldn't be like this. I'm happy to pay for news rather than read pap from free newspapers filled with press releases. Just don't know which ones to go with. Will probably go with the Telegraph because it has the opposite of my views, so it will challenge my opinions. And the Times cost is insane (more than the BBC licence fee).

Bollox my hairy hoop.

All broadsheets and tabloids whether they swing left or right whip their readers into a frenzy with their headlines.

I havent bought a daily for almost 30 years for that reason.
What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 09:56 - Jun 4 with 5669 viewsHighjack

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 09:51 - Jun 4 by Fireboy2

Bollox my hairy hoop.

All broadsheets and tabloids whether they swing left or right whip their readers into a frenzy with their headlines.

I havent bought a daily for almost 30 years for that reason.

Journalism has been replaced with activism in recent years.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 11:57 - Jun 4 with 5644 viewsleighton1318

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 03:20 - Jun 4 by Glyn1

Almost a pound a day? £300+ a year? Wow, makes the BBC licence fee look like a bargain.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2020 3:22]

There’s nothing I want to read, and precious little I want to watch, on the BBC. Their weather forecast is reasonably good.

Separate issue, but if its ‘public service’ elements were carved out I would pay a licence fee of say £10-20 p.a. very happily. The rest should be made to pay its own way.
What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 12:11 - Jun 4 with 5636 viewsHighjack

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 11:57 - Jun 4 by leighton1318

There’s nothing I want to read, and precious little I want to watch, on the BBC. Their weather forecast is reasonably good.

Separate issue, but if its ‘public service’ elements were carved out I would pay a licence fee of say £10-20 p.a. very happily. The rest should be made to pay its own way.

The Beeb used to make a lot of money by selling their shows abroad. No f*cker wants to buy them anymore.

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 16:39 - Jun 4 with 5593 viewsMuteswan

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 11:57 - Jun 4 by leighton1318

I get all the news I need from the weather report.
Thank you to the wonderful Simon and Garfunkel.
What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 18:31 - Jun 4 with 5563 viewsjohnlangy

I just read through all the posts and isn't it sad that all the papers referred to are English. There's not one decent Independent Welsh owned/based National newspaper. All the main titles - Western Mail/EP/Daily Post are owned by the Mirror group.

So we know all about what's happening in England but very little about what's happening in our own country.
What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 18:40 - Jun 4 with 5559 viewsHighjack

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 18:31 - Jun 4 by johnlangy

I just read through all the posts and isn't it sad that all the papers referred to are English. There's not one decent Independent Welsh owned/based National newspaper. All the main titles - Western Mail/EP/Daily Post are owned by the Mirror group.

So we know all about what's happening in England but very little about what's happening in our own country.

Set one up then.

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 19:41 - Jun 4 with 5536 viewsThrasher6

I just want to read one without any grammatical errors. Sadly that is almost impossible these days. It's moronic at times...

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 03:15 - Jun 5 with 5472 viewshuwrichards57

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 03:22 - Jun 4 by Glyn1

Why did you do that? What does it cover? I don't know it and I'm interested to know. Got a link?
[Post edited 4 Jun 2020 3:25]

https://theathletic.co.uk/

Got it because it has a strong team of writers who produce some half decent stuff. Think 30 quid was an offer of some sort though and wouldn't want to pay much more than that for it tbh
What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 03:27 - Jun 5 with 5466 viewsNotLoyal

What newspapers / news sites do you subscribe to on 09:56 - Jun 4 by Highjack

Journalism has been replaced with activism in recent years.

Sums up corbyn, fantastic activist, shit leader.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024