Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Travel to Wales 09:25 - Jun 6 with 6765 viewslegoman

I posted recently about visiting elderly parents in Swansea. Mrs L and I are wondering whether we could make a day visit from here in Bromley. We thought about driving down early, staying with parents for a few hours but in their garden, then driving back home.

It would be a long day but we're not sure when things are going to change. We know the Welsh government rules ask people to stay local, but what do you folks think?

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

Travel to Wales on 13:00 - Jun 24 with 1054 viewsBillyChong

Aren’t the Welsh rates skewed by samples sizes? The number of cases in Wales is very low, which is surely the aim. Sure some health boards are reporting a handful of cases a week. Obviously the Anglesey outbreak has raised this up north.
Travel to Wales on 13:04 - Jun 24 with 1046 viewslondonlisa2001

Travel to Wales on 12:29 - Jun 24 by exhmrc1

The ethnicity isnt a third of people throughout England. Large areas like the West Country and the North East have very few ethnic people. Also Wales has more people expected to have more deaths due to the higher number of people with medical issues.

Government can only control infection. Not outcomes.

And the vast majority of the population of England live in areas where there is a far higher ethnic minority population that Wales hence it impacts the whole of England figures. Areas like the South West and North East have low populations compared to London and the South East, West Midlands, Manchester and the North West etc etc. According to the 2011 census, Wales is less ethnically diverse than ANY region of England. Wales has a BAME population of 5%, England of 15% (2011 census, will probably be higher now).

13% of Wales are over 70. 12% of England are over 70. So there’s not as much difference as you seem to think. No idea whether Wales is generally less healthy.
Travel to Wales on 14:05 - Jun 24 with 1005 viewsexhmrc1

Travel to Wales on 13:04 - Jun 24 by londonlisa2001

Government can only control infection. Not outcomes.

And the vast majority of the population of England live in areas where there is a far higher ethnic minority population that Wales hence it impacts the whole of England figures. Areas like the South West and North East have low populations compared to London and the South East, West Midlands, Manchester and the North West etc etc. According to the 2011 census, Wales is less ethnically diverse than ANY region of England. Wales has a BAME population of 5%, England of 15% (2011 census, will probably be higher now).

13% of Wales are over 70. 12% of England are over 70. So there’s not as much difference as you seem to think. No idea whether Wales is generally less healthy.

so there is a 10% difference in ethnicity but a 30% higher rate if deaths. Your answer doesnt explain it nor the fact that Wales has more people with things like Diabetes, Obesity, Heart and Respiratory conditions.

As far as the figures are concerned here are some from before the outbreaks in North Wales.
There were 48, 31 and 25 new cases in all of Wales.
Powys has had 4 new cases since 10 June.
Swansea has had 2 new cases since 13 June.
Ceredigion has had 8 new cases since 13 June
Pembrokeshire has had 3 new cases for the same period
Neath Port Talbot has had 13 cases in the same period.

In South West and Mid Wales there have been 30 cases in 10 days across 5 counties.

Todays figures show 47 new cases in Wales of which 14 are outside of North Wales. This is hardly high figures. 12 local authorities had no new cases. 5 of the cases in South Wales were in the Vale of Glamorgan and 4 in Rhondda Cynon Taff. That leaves 5 in the rest of South, West and Mid Wales.

Even in North Wales 23 of the 29 cases came in Wrexham. The rest of North Wales had 6 new cases between them.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 14:18]
Travel to Wales on 14:20 - Jun 24 with 988 viewslondonlisa2001

Travel to Wales on 14:05 - Jun 24 by exhmrc1

so there is a 10% difference in ethnicity but a 30% higher rate if deaths. Your answer doesnt explain it nor the fact that Wales has more people with things like Diabetes, Obesity, Heart and Respiratory conditions.

As far as the figures are concerned here are some from before the outbreaks in North Wales.
There were 48, 31 and 25 new cases in all of Wales.
Powys has had 4 new cases since 10 June.
Swansea has had 2 new cases since 13 June.
Ceredigion has had 8 new cases since 13 June
Pembrokeshire has had 3 new cases for the same period
Neath Port Talbot has had 13 cases in the same period.

In South West and Mid Wales there have been 30 cases in 10 days across 5 counties.

Todays figures show 47 new cases in Wales of which 14 are outside of North Wales. This is hardly high figures. 12 local authorities had no new cases. 5 of the cases in South Wales were in the Vale of Glamorgan and 4 in Rhondda Cynon Taff. That leaves 5 in the rest of South, West and Mid Wales.

Even in North Wales 23 of the 29 cases came in Wrexham. The rest of North Wales had 6 new cases between them.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 14:18]

I’ve no idea what you’re trying to say?

You surely aren’t saying outcomes of cases in London or Birmingham are influenced by the average ethnicity of England as a whole?

London has had the most cases in England and has a BAME population in excess of 40% (in fact, I think it’s probably 50% ish now). West Midlands second (over 20% BAME).

I only showed the total percentage as you were saying the South West etc had low numbers of BAME like Wales.

Infection rates in Wales are higher than in England. Way before the North Wales outbreak (there’s a similar outbreak in England btw - I don’t see you adjusting figures for that).

Anyway - it’s pointless. You’re spinning numbers to suit your belief, taking out any areas that don’t suit your point!
Travel to Wales on 15:55 - Jun 24 with 946 viewsexhmrc1

Travel to Wales on 14:20 - Jun 24 by londonlisa2001

I’ve no idea what you’re trying to say?

You surely aren’t saying outcomes of cases in London or Birmingham are influenced by the average ethnicity of England as a whole?

London has had the most cases in England and has a BAME population in excess of 40% (in fact, I think it’s probably 50% ish now). West Midlands second (over 20% BAME).

I only showed the total percentage as you were saying the South West etc had low numbers of BAME like Wales.

Infection rates in Wales are higher than in England. Way before the North Wales outbreak (there’s a similar outbreak in England btw - I don’t see you adjusting figures for that).

Anyway - it’s pointless. You’re spinning numbers to suit your belief, taking out any areas that don’t suit your point!

Your figures dont fit with the facts
18/6 Wales 48 UK 1346 Equivalent 1056
19/6 Wales 31 UK 1295 Equivalent 682
20/6 Wales 25 UK 1221 Equivalent 550
Travel to Wales on 16:12 - Jun 24 with 936 viewslondonlisa2001

Travel to Wales on 15:55 - Jun 24 by exhmrc1

Your figures dont fit with the facts
18/6 Wales 48 UK 1346 Equivalent 1056
19/6 Wales 31 UK 1295 Equivalent 682
20/6 Wales 25 UK 1221 Equivalent 550

Yes they do, as I’ve pointed out the totals as at yesterday to you.

Wales 15,295 infections. England 159,328

On population size, England, to match Wales’ infection rates should be at 275k.

Selecting 3 days at random is ridiculous.

Btw - for the absence of doubt, the handling of lockdown release in England has been all over the place. But ignoring the facts and pretending Wales has done so much better than England is crazy.

Btw - Today - Wales 47 new infections. Equivalent for UK - 1,034 Actual for UK - 653
Travel to Wales on 16:19 - Jun 24 with 926 viewsexhmrc1

Travel to Wales on 16:12 - Jun 24 by londonlisa2001

Yes they do, as I’ve pointed out the totals as at yesterday to you.

Wales 15,295 infections. England 159,328

On population size, England, to match Wales’ infection rates should be at 275k.

Selecting 3 days at random is ridiculous.

Btw - for the absence of doubt, the handling of lockdown release in England has been all over the place. But ignoring the facts and pretending Wales has done so much better than England is crazy.

Btw - Today - Wales 47 new infections. Equivalent for UK - 1,034 Actual for UK - 653

But that misses the point that 25 of them were in the factory in Wrexham. All the other authorities had 20 between them and that makes it 440. These 2 factories are giving a totally false impression of the rest of Wales and this will probably be for at least the next week and possibly longer.
Travel to Wales on 16:25 - Jun 24 with 926 viewsBytholWyn

I think there's a danger of over-playing these comparisons between Wales and England either way. The ONS figures suggest that the daily death figures provided by Public Health Wales underestimate overall COVID related deaths to a much greater extent that the figures produced by Public Health England. If you take yesterday's ONS figures you have a total of 46,110 deaths in England, and 2357 in Wales, or 819 deaths per million population in England compared to Wales' 748. In other words there have been about 10% more deaths per head of population in England than in Wales. This is reflected in the excess death tallies, where Wales has one of the lowest per capita excess deaths in all the nations and regions of the UK, but isn't exactly an anomalous outlier.

So, there is some reason to think that Wales has performed better than England, but there are so many complex demographics working in either direction (BAME proportions, age profile, health) that it's hard to argue convincingly that Wales has significantly out-performed England.

Much as I admire Drakeford's more cautious and measured approach (not difficult to outperform Boris there) I think there's an argument, that, if anything, the Welsh government's approach has been too timid, especially in the early stages of the pandemic, when swift action would have saved many lives. This article on Ceredigion's approach gives food for thought: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53142088

The fact that Ceredigion has done so well compared to other rural Welsh counties is down to a number of factors, as the article states, but the fact that care homes were quarantined at an early stage and contact tracing has continued throughout, even after it was abandoned in Westminster and by the Senedd, may well be significant factors.

If there is one thing that this disease has exposed is that the status of an institution is no reliable guide to a good outcome. If we are to learn the lessons of COVID we should have the humility to recognise that we have a lot to learn not only from the management of other countries but perhaps even counties.
Login to get fewer ads

Travel to Wales on 16:36 - Jun 24 with 919 viewscontroversial_jack

Travel to Wales on 16:25 - Jun 24 by BytholWyn

I think there's a danger of over-playing these comparisons between Wales and England either way. The ONS figures suggest that the daily death figures provided by Public Health Wales underestimate overall COVID related deaths to a much greater extent that the figures produced by Public Health England. If you take yesterday's ONS figures you have a total of 46,110 deaths in England, and 2357 in Wales, or 819 deaths per million population in England compared to Wales' 748. In other words there have been about 10% more deaths per head of population in England than in Wales. This is reflected in the excess death tallies, where Wales has one of the lowest per capita excess deaths in all the nations and regions of the UK, but isn't exactly an anomalous outlier.

So, there is some reason to think that Wales has performed better than England, but there are so many complex demographics working in either direction (BAME proportions, age profile, health) that it's hard to argue convincingly that Wales has significantly out-performed England.

Much as I admire Drakeford's more cautious and measured approach (not difficult to outperform Boris there) I think there's an argument, that, if anything, the Welsh government's approach has been too timid, especially in the early stages of the pandemic, when swift action would have saved many lives. This article on Ceredigion's approach gives food for thought: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53142088

The fact that Ceredigion has done so well compared to other rural Welsh counties is down to a number of factors, as the article states, but the fact that care homes were quarantined at an early stage and contact tracing has continued throughout, even after it was abandoned in Westminster and by the Senedd, may well be significant factors.

If there is one thing that this disease has exposed is that the status of an institution is no reliable guide to a good outcome. If we are to learn the lessons of COVID we should have the humility to recognise that we have a lot to learn not only from the management of other countries but perhaps even counties.

Excellent well balanced and unbiased post
Travel to Wales on 16:56 - Jun 24 with 899 viewslondonlisa2001

Travel to Wales on 16:25 - Jun 24 by BytholWyn

I agree with most of that.

My gripe with the line being pushed about how well Wales is doing in bringing numbers down is that there is no sign that numbers are falling any differently to England, yet people are still not able to see families, visit the countryside, beaches etc which is causing real harm.

When things change again In England in a week or so, unless Wales shifts itself, the hit to the Welsh economy will be even worse than in the rest of the UK. That in itself cause worse health outcomes. And the financial stress placed on families will be devastating. There’s already talk of Wales asking the UK government to extend the furlough scheme for longer as Wales is ‘in a different place’. The only reason it’s in a different place is because it’s chosen to be.

In effect, there are some in Wales that expect English workers to put themselves at greater risk while simultaneously bailing out workers in Wales who don’t accept the same risk.

And there are some of us that would actually like to see our families and can’t because of the stupid rules in place stopping that, while allowing football teams to travel down.
Travel to Wales on 17:18 - Jun 24 with 872 viewsexhmrc1

Travel to Wales on 16:56 - Jun 24 by londonlisa2001

I agree with most of that.

My gripe with the line being pushed about how well Wales is doing in bringing numbers down is that there is no sign that numbers are falling any differently to England, yet people are still not able to see families, visit the countryside, beaches etc which is causing real harm.

When things change again In England in a week or so, unless Wales shifts itself, the hit to the Welsh economy will be even worse than in the rest of the UK. That in itself cause worse health outcomes. And the financial stress placed on families will be devastating. There’s already talk of Wales asking the UK government to extend the furlough scheme for longer as Wales is ‘in a different place’. The only reason it’s in a different place is because it’s chosen to be.

In effect, there are some in Wales that expect English workers to put themselves at greater risk while simultaneously bailing out workers in Wales who don’t accept the same risk.

And there are some of us that would actually like to see our families and can’t because of the stupid rules in place stopping that, while allowing football teams to travel down.

All these things will be changing at the next review on 9 July. Shops have opened, Tourism has been told to get ready to open and from week Monday people will be able to travel anywhere throughout Wales. By that time the cases in Wales will likely be in single figures or possibly all gone and it will be perfectly safe to do so.

You wanted the WAG to allow people to travel whilst some areas were showing higher rates than others possibly spreading the virus into areas with very low instances.

We are currently showing extremely few cases other than the 2 areas in North Wales.

When the review will be made on 9 July all the things suggested for opening on 4 July will be allowed to open in Wales. The big difference between Wales and England is that in Wales things are being done methodically and carefully whereas in England it is being done to appease back benchers and to cover bad news.

There is little doubt that on 13th July all cottages, caravan parks, hotels etc will be opening. In fact Drakeford has already told the tourist industry to prepare for that announcement. It is highly likely hairdressers will also be opening and probably things like cinemas and gyms. If there are no cases then there will be no need for a 2 metre distancing. In fact, there will be no reason for social distancing at all although they will probably change it to 1 metre short term.

Schools will be able to open normally in September with no cases around as will universities.

I, for one, actually think the wag has got this right. If you look at the way the cases have dropped then it dont see what other conclusion any reasonable person could come to.
Travel to Wales on 17:23 - Jun 24 with 872 viewschad

Anyone can travel further if they have family they are concerned about.

Probably always could in the past if they needed to shop for them?

If your family and friends live further than five miles away, you might be wondering what the changes mean for you.

From Monday 22 June, people must remain within the five mile radius of their home as a rule, while visiting friends and loved ones.

But new guidance means people can travel further to see those these are concerned about, in what is being described as "compassionate grounds".

This means you can visit someone who is struggling with physical or mental illness, has suffered a bereavement or you are concerned about their wellbeing for other reasons, such as loneliness.

You may also be able to visit people living in care homes, or supported living, in children's homes or young offenders' institutions, but only if permission is given by those in charge and it is safe to do so.

Mr Drakeford said that until at least the 6 July, people must stay local and continue abiding by the five-mile rule for the next two weeks to help keep the virus under control.

He had previously said that people should "use their own judgement" if they already had to travel further for food or medicines, and they would continue to be able to travel those distances.
–––––

Not sure if that means you can come into wales for that purpose, probs not, but open to interpretation I suppose
Travel to Wales on 17:59 - Jun 24 with 838 viewslondonlisa2001

Travel to Wales on 17:18 - Jun 24 by exhmrc1

All these things will be changing at the next review on 9 July. Shops have opened, Tourism has been told to get ready to open and from week Monday people will be able to travel anywhere throughout Wales. By that time the cases in Wales will likely be in single figures or possibly all gone and it will be perfectly safe to do so.

You wanted the WAG to allow people to travel whilst some areas were showing higher rates than others possibly spreading the virus into areas with very low instances.

We are currently showing extremely few cases other than the 2 areas in North Wales.

When the review will be made on 9 July all the things suggested for opening on 4 July will be allowed to open in Wales. The big difference between Wales and England is that in Wales things are being done methodically and carefully whereas in England it is being done to appease back benchers and to cover bad news.

There is little doubt that on 13th July all cottages, caravan parks, hotels etc will be opening. In fact Drakeford has already told the tourist industry to prepare for that announcement. It is highly likely hairdressers will also be opening and probably things like cinemas and gyms. If there are no cases then there will be no need for a 2 metre distancing. In fact, there will be no reason for social distancing at all although they will probably change it to 1 metre short term.

Schools will be able to open normally in September with no cases around as will universities.

I, for one, actually think the wag has got this right. If you look at the way the cases have dropped then it dont see what other conclusion any reasonable person could come to.

“ The big difference between Wales and England is that in Wales things are being done methodically and carefully whereas in England it is being done to appease back benchers and to cover bad news.”

Aye. It’s just coincidence that it’s exactly the same but a week later.

Just nonsense. It’s bizarre when you think how ‘carefully and methodically’ Wales has been opening and how England has been opening just to appease backbenchers that it’s had absolutely no effect on the relative incidence of cases (well, as we’ve seen, Wales is higher, but let’s ignore that for now).

The 5 mile radius is complete bollox. Always has been. As has been shown, localised infections are going to start in workplaces, not by people driving to see relatives.
Travel to Wales on 18:05 - Jun 24 with 836 viewslondonlisa2001

Travel to Wales on 17:23 - Jun 24 by chad

Anyone can travel further if they have family they are concerned about.

Probably always could in the past if they needed to shop for them?

If your family and friends live further than five miles away, you might be wondering what the changes mean for you.

From Monday 22 June, people must remain within the five mile radius of their home as a rule, while visiting friends and loved ones.

But new guidance means people can travel further to see those these are concerned about, in what is being described as "compassionate grounds".

This means you can visit someone who is struggling with physical or mental illness, has suffered a bereavement or you are concerned about their wellbeing for other reasons, such as loneliness.

You may also be able to visit people living in care homes, or supported living, in children's homes or young offenders' institutions, but only if permission is given by those in charge and it is safe to do so.

Mr Drakeford said that until at least the 6 July, people must stay local and continue abiding by the five-mile rule for the next two weeks to help keep the virus under control.

He had previously said that people should "use their own judgement" if they already had to travel further for food or medicines, and they would continue to be able to travel those distances.
–––––

Not sure if that means you can come into wales for that purpose, probs not, but open to interpretation I suppose

No, you can’t.

Well, you could do and just ignore the complete nonsense but you’re not supposed to,

If it was serious I certainly would, but I’ve tried throughout as most have to stick with what they say you should do. But the 5 mile rule is utter rubbish. As has been seen in the last week or so, it does nothing to prevent local outbreaks. And has been seen from the relative figures in the past few weeks since Wales and England started diverging, it’s done nothing to change the relative number of cases in the two countries.
Travel to Wales on 18:12 - Jun 24 with 831 viewsBillyChong

Wales had a total of 47 new cases yesterday - sod all. Surely evidence that our approach has worked/is working.
Travel to Wales on 18:17 - Jun 24 with 824 viewsexhmrc1

Travel to Wales on 17:59 - Jun 24 by londonlisa2001

“ The big difference between Wales and England is that in Wales things are being done methodically and carefully whereas in England it is being done to appease back benchers and to cover bad news.”

Aye. It’s just coincidence that it’s exactly the same but a week later.

Just nonsense. It’s bizarre when you think how ‘carefully and methodically’ Wales has been opening and how England has been opening just to appease backbenchers that it’s had absolutely no effect on the relative incidence of cases (well, as we’ve seen, Wales is higher, but let’s ignore that for now).

The 5 mile radius is complete bollox. Always has been. As has been shown, localised infections are going to start in workplaces, not by people driving to see relatives.

The 5 mile rule has prevented the spread of illness which is exactly what it was meant to. Stopped someone who is infected into going elsewhere and spreading it. That has been successful. Look at West Wales. There is only 1 new infection today in an area from Pencoed to Haverfordwest and Swansea to Welshpool. That is precisely because of the 5 mile rule which has never been a rule but a guidance. People have been told to make their judgements sensibly.

In North Wales cases could have spread all over the place if you could travel anywhere. You have been able to travel longer for compassionate grounds anyway and the 5 mile guidance isnt being enforced as far as I am aware.

Having the local rule has prevented tourists going into Anglesey and spreading the virus more than it has. The rule is far better than allowing Boris mate travel 260 miles each way which nobody thought you could but apparently was allowable.

Some of the restrictions here have been lifted earlier than Scotland who have also adopted a careful approach. Our shops have opened whilst Scotland' s havent yet. Our schools are opening Monday. Scotland's arent until August. They also have a 5 mile rule or guidance.

It seems it is England that is out of step largely because of Boris trying to bury bad news or appease his backbenchers. It is only England that has changed to a 1 meter social distance. None of the devolved administrations have done so. Wales are still awaiting the scientific evidence for this. He has been under pressure from his back benchers to do this and things like opening pubs. Scotland and Wales are pretty much acting in unison over these things
Travel to Wales on 18:20 - Jun 24 with 816 viewslondonlisa2001

Travel to Wales on 18:12 - Jun 24 by BillyChong

Wales had a total of 47 new cases yesterday - sod all. Surely evidence that our approach has worked/is working.

How is that evidence it’s working?

On population numbers that should mean over a thousand cases for the UK as a whole. And the UK as a whole actually had 650.

I don’t get how people can’t see this. England has less cases than Wales. And has had less cases than Wales as a whole for the epidemic. It’s had more deaths (different population make up) but less cases (which is the bit restrictions affect).
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 18:31]
Travel to Wales on 18:30 - Jun 24 with 801 viewslondonlisa2001

Travel to Wales on 18:17 - Jun 24 by exhmrc1

The 5 mile rule has prevented the spread of illness which is exactly what it was meant to. Stopped someone who is infected into going elsewhere and spreading it. That has been successful. Look at West Wales. There is only 1 new infection today in an area from Pencoed to Haverfordwest and Swansea to Welshpool. That is precisely because of the 5 mile rule which has never been a rule but a guidance. People have been told to make their judgements sensibly.

In North Wales cases could have spread all over the place if you could travel anywhere. You have been able to travel longer for compassionate grounds anyway and the 5 mile guidance isnt being enforced as far as I am aware.

Having the local rule has prevented tourists going into Anglesey and spreading the virus more than it has. The rule is far better than allowing Boris mate travel 260 miles each way which nobody thought you could but apparently was allowable.

Some of the restrictions here have been lifted earlier than Scotland who have also adopted a careful approach. Our shops have opened whilst Scotland' s havent yet. Our schools are opening Monday. Scotland's arent until August. They also have a 5 mile rule or guidance.

It seems it is England that is out of step largely because of Boris trying to bury bad news or appease his backbenchers. It is only England that has changed to a 1 meter social distance. None of the devolved administrations have done so. Wales are still awaiting the scientific evidence for this. He has been under pressure from his back benchers to do this and things like opening pubs. Scotland and Wales are pretty much acting in unison over these things

England has had less cases than Wales per 100,000 people. As I’ve said repeatedly, both countries are massively underestimated, but there’s no reason why they are underestimated differently.

Full stop.

Oh, and the 5 mile thing being ‘Guidance’ rather than a rule has only emerged in the past few days, tell that to the police who’ve been stopping everyone left right and centre.

And England doesn’t have a 1 metre rule. It will do on July 4th. And it’s with other restrictions. Like face covering (another ‘week or so later’ thing in Wales, same as shops).

No one is talking about Cummings, that was during the height of lockdown and was completely ridiculous. He should have been sacked.
Travel to Wales on 19:07 - Jun 24 with 781 viewsexhmrc1

Travel to Wales on 18:30 - Jun 24 by londonlisa2001

England has had less cases than Wales per 100,000 people. As I’ve said repeatedly, both countries are massively underestimated, but there’s no reason why they are underestimated differently.

Full stop.

Oh, and the 5 mile thing being ‘Guidance’ rather than a rule has only emerged in the past few days, tell that to the police who’ve been stopping everyone left right and centre.

And England doesn’t have a 1 metre rule. It will do on July 4th. And it’s with other restrictions. Like face covering (another ‘week or so later’ thing in Wales, same as shops).

No one is talking about Cummings, that was during the height of lockdown and was completely ridiculous. He should have been sacked.

So do you have any evidence that the poilce have been stopping people travelling 6,7,or even 10 miles such as say Morriston to Killay. They have been stopping people travelling further afield such as Cardiff to Swansea as that isnt local and is exactly what is trying to be prevented.

The face covering is compulsory in England but not so in Wales.
Travel to Wales on 19:18 - Jun 24 with 773 viewslondonlisa2001

Travel to Wales on 19:07 - Jun 24 by exhmrc1

So do you have any evidence that the poilce have been stopping people travelling 6,7,or even 10 miles such as say Morriston to Killay. They have been stopping people travelling further afield such as Cardiff to Swansea as that isnt local and is exactly what is trying to be prevented.

I don’t have evidence they’ve been specifically stopping people doing 6 miles, no. I do have evidence they’ve been stopping people in general - I know loads that’ve been stopped and asked where they’re going and how far.

Face covering is compulsory on public transport in England. Not anywhere else. The fact it’s only recommended in Wales is another stupid difference for the sake of it. The rail unions are threatening to stop trains at the bridge and I don’t blame them.
Travel to Wales on 19:23 - Jun 24 with 760 viewsexiledclaseboy

Travel to Wales on 18:20 - Jun 24 by londonlisa2001

How is that evidence it’s working?

On population numbers that should mean over a thousand cases for the UK as a whole. And the UK as a whole actually had 650.

I don’t get how people can’t see this. England has less cases than Wales. And has had less cases than Wales as a whole for the epidemic. It’s had more deaths (different population make up) but less cases (which is the bit restrictions affect).
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 18:31]

Fewer. Tsk.

Poll: Tory leader

Travel to Wales on 19:26 - Jun 24 with 756 viewsWhiterockin

Travel to Wales on 19:07 - Jun 24 by exhmrc1

I have been driving throughout Wales (all over) with my job, every day for the last month and never been stopped. If stopped I do have a letter of authorisation, but as I say never been stopped.
Travel to Wales on 19:27 - Jun 24 with 749 viewsexhmrc1

Travel to Wales on 19:18 - Jun 24 by londonlisa2001

I don’t have evidence they’ve been specifically stopping people doing 6 miles, no. I do have evidence they’ve been stopping people in general - I know loads that’ve been stopped and asked where they’re going and how far.

Face covering is compulsory on public transport in England. Not anywhere else. The fact it’s only recommended in Wales is another stupid difference for the sake of it. The rail unions are threatening to stop trains at the bridge and I don’t blame them.

Yes people are being stopped to ensure they are following the stay local advice but the 5 mile is a guide and not a rule. It seems that what you dont like is the advice to stay local. The fact is it is working and that is proven by how few cases there are in West Wales. 1 case today between Bridgend, Neath Port Talbot, Swansea, Powys, Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion. 7 counties 1 new case because of the stay local rule instead of doing as you want and have people go into these areas and cause infections.
Travel to Wales on 19:28 - Jun 24 with 749 viewsexiledclaseboy

Travel to Wales on 19:26 - Jun 24 by Whiterockin

I have been driving throughout Wales (all over) with my job, every day for the last month and never been stopped. If stopped I do have a letter of authorisation, but as I say never been stopped.

And if you were that’s fine. Right at the start of this we were all crying out for the rules to be properly enforced and castigating those who were flouting them.

Poll: Tory leader

Travel to Wales on 19:32 - Jun 24 with 746 viewsWhiterockin

Travel to Wales on 19:28 - Jun 24 by exiledclaseboy

And if you were that’s fine. Right at the start of this we were all crying out for the rules to be properly enforced and castigating those who were flouting them.

I am not flouting the rules, as I say I have authorisation to travel. Just stating that I have never been stopped or my work colleagues.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024