Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London Mayor Sadiq Khan 20:23 - Jun 10 with 26132 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

London mayor Sadiq Khan promised today that he will begin the process of pulling down ‘inappropriate’ statues around London — after Bristolians dumped the statue of slave trader Edward Colston in the river at the weekend.

To investigate London’s landmarks, Khan has created a ‘Commission for Diversity in the Public Realm’ which will review statues and street names in the capital to make sure they reflect the diversity of its people. Khan said he expected the commission to find that it’s ‘not appropriate to be memorialising, or to be celebrating’ certain figures, especially those with a racist past and links to the slave trade.

In 2018, he proudly unveiled a statue of the suffragist Millicent Fawcett — the first-ever statue in Parliament Square of a woman. At the time, Khan declared that ‘from the very first week of my Mayoralty, I supported Caroline Criado Perez’s campaign to put up a statue of a woman in Parliament Square, and I’m so proud that the day of its unveiling is now upon us.’

But while Fawcett is mostly celebrated today for the campaign for women’s suffrage, less well-known is her ardent support of the British Empire. Fawcett was such a fan of Empire, that in 1901 she was commissioned by the government to lead an investigation into British concentration camps in South Africa during the second Boer war, after high mortality rates and appalling conditions were reported there.

When she arrived, Fawcett thought the camps were deeply necessary for the war, and her eventual report said the commission had a ‘generally favourable’ view of them. She also suggested that many of the deaths were caused by the ‘unsanitary habits’ of the Boers. Around 28,000 Boers died in the camps.

Fawcett didn’t have much thought for the participation of Black Africans in society after the war either. In 1899, she wrote that after the settlement of the war;
‘I hope we are too deeply pledged to the principle of equal privileges for all white races to abandon it.’

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/will-sadiq-khan-have-to-knock-down-millicent
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think Sadiq will include his pet project in the list of 'inappropriate' statues he intends to tear down? It begs the question as to whether he is engaging with this exercise simply to boost his personal popularity, considering he proudly unveiled such a statue himself less than two years ago.

The man is a colossal hypocrite.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 23:26 - Jun 10 with 1994 viewsLuther27

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 23:22 - Jun 10 by JimmyGilligan

Thank your lucky stars your ancestors weren't Kenyan or Indian, or you might not be here to 'tell the tale' thanks to Churchill

But here we are....thanks to Churchill as much as it hurts.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 23:30 - Jun 10 with 1984 viewsTreforys_Jack

Some people are just desperate to be offended. The past is the past, learn from it, don't ignore it.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 23:33 - Jun 10 with 1981 viewsLuther27

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 23:30 - Jun 10 by Treforys_Jack

Some people are just desperate to be offended. The past is the past, learn from it, don't ignore it.

I give up on here sometimes. People can be so fashionable.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 00:17 - Jun 11 with 1922 viewsKerouac

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 23:22 - Jun 10 by JimmyGilligan

Thank your lucky stars your ancestors weren't Kenyan or Indian, or you might not be here to 'tell the tale' thanks to Churchill

As always, the truth is a little more complicated than that;
https://britishempire.co.uk/maproom/kenya.htm

...and I can't resist quoting this bit;

"Mombasa had long been known to Europeans, the Portugese had used it as a trading base for many years. The Sultan of Zanzibar extended his rule over the East African mainland throughout the Nineteenth Century. The African tribes in East Africa resented this Arab rule but could do little to resist it. The Arab control was tied up very much with the ivory and slave trades.
It was this attachment to slavery that brought the area to the attention of the British public. David Livingstone used Zanzibar as a starting point for his explorations of the interior. He was to be joined by explorers interested in discovering the source of the Nile. They would send reports back to Britain publicising the evils of the East African slave trade. These would allow powerful lobbies back in Britain to put pressure on the Sultan of Zanzibar to banish slavery in his lands which he reluctantly agreed to in 1873. Technically, this ban included the East African coast although the policing of this ban was difficult to say the least."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 00:31 - Jun 11 with 1908 viewsNotLoyal

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 23:33 - Jun 10 by Luther27

I give up on here sometimes. People can be so fashionable.

I've never worn flares but I've fired a few.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 00:32 - Jun 11 with 1905 viewsJimmyGilligan

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 00:17 - Jun 11 by Kerouac

"Mombasa had long been known to Europeans, the Portugese had used it as a trading base for many years. The Sultan of Zanzibar extended his rule over the East African mainland throughout the Nineteenth Century. The African tribes in East Africa resented this Arab rule but could do little to resist it. The Arab control was tied up very much with the ivory and slave trades.
It was this attachment to slavery that brought the area to the attention of the British public. David Livingstone used Zanzibar as a starting point for his explorations of the interior. He was to be joined by explorers interested in discovering the source of the Nile. They would send reports back to Britain publicising the evils of the East African slave trade. These would allow powerful lobbies back in Britain to put pressure on the Sultan of Zanzibar to banish slavery in his lands which he reluctantly agreed to in 1873. Technically, this ban included the East African coast although the policing of this ban was difficult to say the least."

There we are then, racism solved. Good job.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 00:35 - Jun 11 with 1904 viewsTreforys_Jack

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 00:17 - Jun 11 by Kerouac

Indeed...… There is an episode of "Who do you think you are" featuring Marvin Humes from JLS, that's worth a watch, especially as the penny drops with him that one of his Great Great Grandparents wasn't a slave as he thought but actually owned slaves. It's probably still on I Player, but shows as you say the truth and fact is a little bit more complicated and less clear cut as many would have you believe.,
London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 08:15 - Jun 11 with 1803 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Now Poole council want to take down the statue of baden Powell as he wore funny shorts and and a strange hat.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Login to get fewer ads

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 10:48 - Jun 11 with 1771 viewsJackSomething

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 08:15 - Jun 11 by felixstowe_jack

Now Poole council want to take down the statue of baden Powell as he wore funny shorts and and a strange hat.

They're looking at removing it temporarily as they're worried it's a target to be defaced/torn down. If you're well aware of that and your post was an attempt at humour, my apologies in advance.

Interesting comparison with Churchill though. If we're defending statues of Churchill because of his leadership in WW2, do we demand the removal of a statue of a man who was an outspoken supporter or Hitler and fascism? If we don't call for it's removal, are we not being hypocritical?

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 11:05 - Jun 11 with 1757 viewstheloneranger

They'll want to take down the Gordon Banks statue in Stoke next ... believing his save from Pele in the 1970 World Cup was racist. 😇

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 11:10 - Jun 11 with 1753 viewsCatullus

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 10:48 - Jun 11 by JackSomething

They're looking at removing it temporarily as they're worried it's a target to be defaced/torn down. If you're well aware of that and your post was an attempt at humour, my apologies in advance.

Interesting comparison with Churchill though. If we're defending statues of Churchill because of his leadership in WW2, do we demand the removal of a statue of a man who was an outspoken supporter or Hitler and fascism? If we don't call for it's removal, are we not being hypocritical?

As someon on herr has already pointed out, Hungary took down statues and put them in a park as a reminder of history. I remembered too that Mosow has something similar, I looked it up, Muzeon park.
Maybe the time has come to llok at these things. Not to destroy and deface but to move them into a park/museum park of their own so we don't forget but also don't celebrate them?
Mind you, some people's statues I think should remain, I'll start with Churchill because while he definitely did some bad things I think it's outweighed by the good. Without Churchill the whole world might well be a much worse place right now. And that's saying something because there is much in the world to be angry at.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 11:25 - Jun 11 with 1732 viewsKerouac

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 00:32 - Jun 11 by JimmyGilligan

There we are then, racism solved. Good job.

Have a read through this and get the perspective of the British Empire from a Goan who actually lived it and served the Civil Service in Kenya;

https://britishempire.co.uk/article/bwanakarani.htm

I don't know if it is just me but his account seems to tell of people from all different backgrounds and different skin colours working together...whether they be employed by the British or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 11:28 - Jun 11 with 1735 views34dfgdf54

What a bunch of absolute sissies
London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 14:27 - Jun 11 with 1700 viewsLeonWasGod

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 11:10 - Jun 11 by Catullus

As someon on herr has already pointed out, Hungary took down statues and put them in a park as a reminder of history. I remembered too that Mosow has something similar, I looked it up, Muzeon park.
Maybe the time has come to llok at these things. Not to destroy and deface but to move them into a park/museum park of their own so we don't forget but also don't celebrate them?
Mind you, some people's statues I think should remain, I'll start with Churchill because while he definitely did some bad things I think it's outweighed by the good. Without Churchill the whole world might well be a much worse place right now. And that's saying something because there is much in the world to be angry at.

That's perfectly sensible and is the exact plan for the Bristol one (to put it in a museum). It's still upsetting racists though.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 14:36 - Jun 11 with 1692 viewsNotLoyal

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 14:27 - Jun 11 by LeonWasGod

That's perfectly sensible and is the exact plan for the Bristol one (to put it in a museum). It's still upsetting racists though.

If someone is pissed off because the statue was torn down in a display of public disorder I’m pretty certain that doesn’t make them racist.

OK I've changed it.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 15:20 - Jun 11 with 1670 viewsLeonWasGod

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 14:36 - Jun 11 by NotLoyal

If someone is pissed off because the statue was torn down in a display of public disorder I’m pretty certain that doesn’t make them racist.

I didn't say it did.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 15:24 - Jun 11 with 1665 viewsCatullus

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 15:20 - Jun 11 by LeonWasGod

I didn't say it did.

Leon, you must remember, what you don't say will be used against you just as much as what you did say!

I thought you'd got the hang of this site

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 15:41 - Jun 11 with 1642 viewsHighjack

Robert Baden Powell next on the hit list.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53004638

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 15:56 - Jun 11 with 1620 viewsNotLoyal

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 15:41 - Jun 11 by Highjack

Robert Baden Powell next on the hit list.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53004638

Apparently he thought mein kampf was a decent read and hated homosexuals.
Interestingly as we know homosexuality was illegal until 1967 or so, so I assume every politician who voted for this to be against the law until then will be scrutinised and any business, award, statue, credit or whatever associated to them will be removed. Think of the space there will be.
Is the Colston Hall being renamed or pulled down, loads of space there.

There were a few black MPs who would have been in favour of persecuting gay people, this whole thing could get very exciting. Asian MPs, a whole plethora of labour and across the board MPs.

Don’t raise your hand to high someone may bring you over a drink, probably Eastern European.

OK I've changed it.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 16:03 - Jun 11 with 1611 viewschad

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 15:20 - Jun 11 by LeonWasGod

I didn't say it did.

I think you very much implied that
London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 16:12 - Jun 11 with 1595 viewsJackSomething

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 16:03 - Jun 11 by chad

I think you very much implied that

I didn't think it did.

It's illuminating who did though, judging by the down votes and responses.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 16:30 - Jun 11 with 1582 viewschad

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 16:12 - Jun 11 by JackSomething

I didn't think it did.

Ah my little shadow. I clearly think it did, and am certainly not the only one.

Now remind, me wasn’t there something in EU law about it being about how the victim feels

Always amazes me how people who pretend to find discrimination objectionable, are sometimes the ones who love to group and abuse people.

Similar to those who deemed black people stupid, lost in their own ignorance and perceived superiority

You seem to have been a little one sided in your repeated demands for all sides to be considered. One might almost think you not as balanced as you like to present yourself. Perhaps you need to analyse all down arrows.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 18:11 - Jun 11 with 1549 viewsLeonWasGod

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 16:30 - Jun 11 by chad

Ah my little shadow. I clearly think it did, and am certainly not the only one.

Now remind, me wasn’t there something in EU law about it being about how the victim feels

Always amazes me how people who pretend to find discrimination objectionable, are sometimes the ones who love to group and abuse people.

Similar to those who deemed black people stupid, lost in their own ignorance and perceived superiority

You seem to have been a little one sided in your repeated demands for all sides to be considered. One might almost think you not as balanced as you like to present yourself. Perhaps you need to analyse all down arrows.

I was only talking about racists. Racists aren't the victim and I'm quite happy for them to be abused too (preferably locked up).

I'm very clear and happy to not be on the side of racists. They don't need to be considered, they don't need a voice and there should be no place for them.

There's no need or room for balance when it comes to racists.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 18:20 - Jun 11 with 1538 viewsNeath_Jack

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 16:12 - Jun 11 by JackSomething

I didn't think it did.

It's been very revealing on here lately, not only those who try to hide their bigotry in their posts, but those who snipe about up-voting the right wingers too.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

London Mayor Sadiq Khan on 18:22 - Jun 11 with 1536 viewsNeath_Jack

Ha on the news now, two boy (men) scouts from Wales, travelled down the Baden-Powells statue today to protect it.

He's my hero one of them stated

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024