Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Words being banned 01:42 - Jun 12 with 2767 viewsNotLoyal

A short paragraph from a piece on Lady A by the BBC.

The term "urban music" has been scrapped by Republic Records, which is home to Drake and Ariana Grande, while the Grammys have announced they will stop using "urban" to describe music of black origin in their awards categories.

Bjorks record label have scrapped their name which was little Indian records.
And apparently McCartney has changed the name of his side project band, whatever that bollox was.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Words being banned on 07:26 - Jun 12 with 2143 viewsLohengrin

Tell me what I’m missing about the adjective ‘urban,’ mate. Who on Earth has that supposed to have upset now?

I’d just supposed it had originally been coined to conjure up a sort of ‘sound of the city’ vibe. Was I wrong?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Words being banned on 08:18 - Jun 12 with 2090 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Words being banned on 07:26 - Jun 12 by Lohengrin

Tell me what I’m missing about the adjective ‘urban,’ mate. Who on Earth has that supposed to have upset now?

I’d just supposed it had originally been coined to conjure up a sort of ‘sound of the city’ vibe. Was I wrong?

Why do the BBC prefix Edward Colston with the words "slave trader" Edward Colston when in fact he never actually personally traded a single slave?

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Words being banned on 08:30 - Jun 12 with 2072 viewsFieryJack

Words being banned on 08:18 - Jun 12 by felixstowe_jack

Why do the BBC prefix Edward Colston with the words "slave trader" Edward Colston when in fact he never actually personally traded a single slave?

I presume others did that for him while he sat on his ar*e in Bristol, you clown.

Did mine owners "personally" work in mines?

Did Hitler "personally" strangle any Jews?

Give your head a shake, Felix.
Words being banned on 09:05 - Jun 12 with 2020 viewsProfessor

Lady A is interesting as the ‘antebellum’ Was a period in the South prior to the Ciivil
War. I guess the connotation is a Lady would have had domestic slaves.

One Little Indian are a long standing indie label. Their owner was in the band ‘ A Flux of Pink Indians’ who derived the name from that. I believe he felt the label’s logo was reinforcing stereotypes of Native Americans. Was prompted by a letter
From a Crass fan. Now there is a band for the rabid right! Quite a few OLI records in my collection- mainly The Sugarcubes and Kitchens of Distinction. Wonder if I can get a sticker to cover the logo?
Words being banned on 09:33 - Jun 12 with 1988 viewsCatullus

It discriminates against country folk dontcha know! Soon they won't be calling it country music because, well....

Where will it all end?
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 9:34]

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Words being banned on 09:38 - Jun 12 with 1975 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Words being banned on 08:30 - Jun 12 by FieryJack

I presume others did that for him while he sat on his ar*e in Bristol, you clown.

Did mine owners "personally" work in mines?

Did Hitler "personally" strangle any Jews?

Give your head a shake, Felix.

I guess anyone who has a personal , company or private pension should be be called a drug or arms dealer as no doubt their pension will have in vested in companies involved in make arms and the tobacco industry which has killed millions.
That is the trouble with the left wing Marixist anarchist they can not see the irony in their own lives.

I guess that is want they want. They want to cause trouble a staute of a black man has now been doused in bleach in retaliation.

All these acts of criminal damage have no place in a democratic country.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 9:40]

Words being banned on 09:40 - Jun 12 with 1967 viewsPozuelosSideys

So does the Guardian newspaper now need to be referred to as being " founded on the back of slavery and the cotton trade" then? Seeing as that's where their founder John Edward Taylor made his money, as well as calling Abraham Lincoln's emancipation of the slaves and time in office as 'abhorrent'? Or may be the newspapers continued advertising relationship with the cotton trade after his death should be noted?

Does this fit the liberal narrative? Should the Guardian be made to apologise?

https://order-order.com/2020/06/10/guardian-must-fall/

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Words being banned on 09:41 - Jun 12 with 1959 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Words being banned on 09:40 - Jun 12 by PozuelosSideys

So does the Guardian newspaper now need to be referred to as being " founded on the back of slavery and the cotton trade" then? Seeing as that's where their founder John Edward Taylor made his money, as well as calling Abraham Lincoln's emancipation of the slaves and time in office as 'abhorrent'? Or may be the newspapers continued advertising relationship with the cotton trade after his death should be noted?

YES.

Login to get fewer ads

Words being banned on 09:48 - Jun 12 with 1943 viewsWarwickHunt

Words being banned on 09:33 - Jun 12 by Catullus

It discriminates against country folk dontcha know! Soon they won't be calling it country music because, well....

Where will it all end?
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 9:34]

Vaginary.
Words being banned on 09:53 - Jun 12 with 1931 viewsItchySphincter

Words being banned on 09:41 - Jun 12 by felixstowe_jack

YES.

It’s getting biblical......iniquity of the fathers and all that.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Words being banned on 09:58 - Jun 12 with 1930 viewsCatullus

To paraphrase the bible...he, or she, who is without sin, let them cast the first stone.

If they keep on down this road the only option left will be M.A.D because we'll find everything has it's links to racism, slavery, discrimination etc So let the nukes fly, we all deserve it!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Words being banned on 13:55 - Jun 12 with 1858 viewsNortbankboy

What about the daily mail?
Words being banned on 14:06 - Jun 12 with 1849 viewsmonmouth

What about Picaninny Watermelon Letter-box Bank-robber Johnson FFS. Why is nobody demanding he f*ck off and drown in his own cesspit of disgusting white privilege.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Words being banned on 14:12 - Jun 12 with 1838 viewsPozuelosSideys

Words being banned on 13:55 - Jun 12 by Nortbankboy

What about the daily mail?

What about it?

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."

Words being banned on 15:21 - Jun 12 with 1814 viewsNotLoyal

I’ve no idea at all.
It’s bloody madness 😂

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Words being banned on 16:00 - Jun 12 with 1786 viewsLohengrin

Words being banned on 09:05 - Jun 12 by Professor

Lady A is interesting as the ‘antebellum’ Was a period in the South prior to the Ciivil
War. I guess the connotation is a Lady would have had domestic slaves.

One Little Indian are a long standing indie label. Their owner was in the band ‘ A Flux of Pink Indians’ who derived the name from that. I believe he felt the label’s logo was reinforcing stereotypes of Native Americans. Was prompted by a letter
From a Crass fan. Now there is a band for the rabid right! Quite a few OLI records in my collection- mainly The Sugarcubes and Kitchens of Distinction. Wonder if I can get a sticker to cover the logo?

‘Antebellum’ simply means before war, it’s not an exclusive descriptor for the southern US pre-1860.

Unless it’s Latin itself that’s become this week’s hand-wringing horror? It’s so hard to keep up.

Words being banned on 16:18 - Jun 12 with 1762 viewsPozuelosSideys

Nothing. In the case of the use of the word 'urban' within music, that was actually a term derived from a black fella within the music industry at the time, from new York If I remember correctly. Was probably seen as edgy at the time.

Nobody should have a problem with the likes of Drake pulling that term anyway as it's dated and pointless. Music is music. You don't need to add additional descriptive terms to differentiate between what music may be of black origin and what is not. They're just going to stick with the individual genres and rightly so.

Words being banned on 16:32 - Jun 12 with 1745 viewsNortbankboy

Words being banned on 14:12 - Jun 12 by PozuelosSideys

What about it?

1934 headline
"Hurrah for the black shirts"
Words being banned on 16:41 - Jun 12 with 1737 viewsProfessor

Words being banned on 16:00 - Jun 12 by Lohengrin

‘Antebellum’ simply means before war, it’s not an exclusive descriptor for the southern US pre-1860.

Unless it’s Latin itself that’s become this week’s hand-wringing horror? It’s so hard to keep up.

Not exclusively, but closely associated e.g antebellum architecture to refer to the design of Plantation Houses.

Many would consider Latin a hand-wringing horror, but I very much enjoyed it at 'O' level.

Anyway OED definition:
Occurring or existing before a particular war, especially the US Civil War.
‘the conventions of the antebellum South’

So both correct.
Words being banned on 17:12 - Jun 12 with 1719 viewsPozuelosSideys

Words being banned on 16:32 - Jun 12 by Nortbankboy

1934 headline
"Hurrah for the black shirts"

Ok so you completely missed the point. Got it.

Words being banned on 17:32 - Jun 12 with 1700 viewsHighjack

The lyrics from the likes of Stormzy doesn’t really conjure up a picture of rolling green hills, rural countryside and the smell of freshly baked apple pies and lashings of ginger beer.

I would post an example but that would be racist and would also discredit him.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Words being banned on 17:34 - Jun 12 with 1695 viewsLohengrin

Words being banned on 17:32 - Jun 12 by Highjack

The lyrics from the likes of Stormzy doesn’t really conjure up a picture of rolling green hills, rural countryside and the smell of freshly baked apple pies and lashings of ginger beer.

It’s such a tricky balancing act, isn’t it?

Words being banned on 18:59 - Jun 12 with 1657 viewsPozuelosSideys

Words being banned on 17:32 - Jun 12 by Highjack

It doesnt conjure up nicey images no. But it is a huge money spinner. Hasnt he just donated £10million to equality campaigns?

Talking about how hard his life isand how tough it is on the road, its made him bigboy millions like it has many others. Misery and gangsta roadlife sells.

Words being banned on 21:14 - Jun 12 with 1624 viewsFlashberryjack

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Words being banned on 21:17 - Jun 12 with 1613 viewsLeonWasGod

If it's from Guido, then the answer will be the opposite to whatever that tvvat is saying now

We need to find the view of the canary and then pick sides
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024