Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot 11:13 - Jun 12 with 2297 viewsJimmyGilligan

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/thousands-people-cardiff-could-given

Off you go...

Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot on 11:39 - Jun 12 with 2254 viewsNeath_Jack

I've been reading about this UBI for a few weeks now, but I can't get my head around it properly.

So to Lisa and some of the other financial people (please not those that think they know something about everything), could you break down the pro's and cons of this please.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot on 11:54 - Jun 12 with 2230 viewsCatullus

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/finland-universal-basic-income-trial-unempl

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot on 12:07 - Jun 12 with 2213 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The tried it in Venezuela paying the farm workers UBI. As they got more UBI than wages for working on farms they gave up working.
Result from being nett exporters of food Venezuela had to import food which they could not pay and most of they population are now short of food.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot on 12:08 - Jun 12 with 2210 viewsLeonWasGod

Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot on 11:54 - Jun 12 by Catullus

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/finland-universal-basic-income-trial-unempl

Interesting. No mention of impact on easier/cheaper administration of the welfare system, etc, which I'd have thought would be one of the main aims of UBI.

Although I spot one major flaw in translating these pilots to the UK:
"The key takeaway from Finland's universal basic income experiment is that countries need to learn from each other". That won't happen with our current level of exceptionalism.
Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot on 12:10 - Jun 12 with 2202 viewsjack247

How is it financed? I assume increased taxation and the increase to the higher earners is more than the UBI they receive?

Or am I miles off?
Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot on 12:17 - Jun 12 with 2188 viewsCatullus

Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot on 12:08 - Jun 12 by LeonWasGod

Interesting. No mention of impact on easier/cheaper administration of the welfare system, etc, which I'd have thought would be one of the main aims of UBI.

Although I spot one major flaw in translating these pilots to the UK:
"The key takeaway from Finland's universal basic income experiment is that countries need to learn from each other". That won't happen with our current level of exceptionalism.

My issue is, if this happens with WG support, why do it in a wealthier part of Wales. Try it in a more deprived area. Why chuck 50 million extra into Cardiff's economy, or however much the WG end up putting in, there are places more deserving of such a trial.

But then if it "makes people happier but jobless" is it worth trying?

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot on 12:25 - Jun 12 with 2174 viewsJimmyGilligan

Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot on 12:17 - Jun 12 by Catullus

My issue is, if this happens with WG support, why do it in a wealthier part of Wales. Try it in a more deprived area. Why chuck 50 million extra into Cardiff's economy, or however much the WG end up putting in, there are places more deserving of such a trial.

Taken from the comments on the article -

I doubt £400 a month will encourage me to not work. In fact, I'd lose my house.
But it would allow me to pay off debt, or gain new skills, or pay for car repayments.

For someone young, and entering the world of work at 18 or so, it'd be a huge springboard, more so than "extra cash" like I would use it as. Its too late for me, but a huge boon for young/stuggling people.
Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot on 12:39 - Jun 12 with 2149 viewsCatullus

Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot on 12:25 - Jun 12 by JimmyGilligan

Taken from the comments on the article -

I doubt £400 a month will encourage me to not work. In fact, I'd lose my house.
But it would allow me to pay off debt, or gain new skills, or pay for car repayments.

For someone young, and entering the world of work at 18 or so, it'd be a huge springboard, more so than "extra cash" like I would use it as. Its too late for me, but a huge boon for young/stuggling people.

Yes but does that only apply to those in work? This trial will see UBI given to a cross section which includes the unemployed.
The trial itself was considered a failure, there were given reasons for that so maybe if the WG looks at it and tries to improve the parameters the experts can better judge it.

I'm still not a fan of universal benefits though. Benefits should be for people who really need the help. Our welfare state is in enough of a mess already, does anyone trust any of our politicians to succesfully trial this let alone implement it nationally?

Question, would giving every adult £100 pw cause a big rise in inflation and render the UBI fairly pointless?

Login to get fewer ads

Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot on 12:55 - Jun 12 with 2116 viewsBryanSwan

Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot on 12:39 - Jun 12 by Catullus

Yes but does that only apply to those in work? This trial will see UBI given to a cross section which includes the unemployed.
The trial itself was considered a failure, there were given reasons for that so maybe if the WG looks at it and tries to improve the parameters the experts can better judge it.

I'm still not a fan of universal benefits though. Benefits should be for people who really need the help. Our welfare state is in enough of a mess already, does anyone trust any of our politicians to succesfully trial this let alone implement it nationally?

Question, would giving every adult £100 pw cause a big rise in inflation and render the UBI fairly pointless?

Not sure if everyone would effectively receive the £100p/w. Most UBI systems require a person to be below a certain income threshold in order to receive any of the money, with those above the threshold having their tax increased to reclaim the £100 as they would not need it.
But as this is a trial i suppose we will have to see.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot on 13:04 - Jun 12 with 2102 viewsPozuelosSideys

So Sheffield, Hull, Liverpool and now Cardiff councils are looking to do this,with the first 3 passing some sort of motion. All Labour strongholds. All with 'progressive' councils and populations which supported the Corbyn era blindly.

Very curious how they intend to fund that. I can only see it being done by raising taxes locally. Would be very surprised if Westminster supported it as the cost would be huge. For wales alone, giving everyone over the age of 16 £100 a week would cost £13bn a year which is about 18% of Wales' entire annual GDP. Good luck raising that on top of everything else, at least if that's the intention.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 13:05]

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot on 13:09 - Jun 12 with 2088 viewsLeonWasGod

Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot on 12:17 - Jun 12 by Catullus

Very fair point that and a good question about the location.

I'm all for happier people, might be a bit of a hard sell on that alone though. Savings on mental health treatments maybe ? Gawd knows.
Thousands of people in Cardiff could be given £100 a week UBI Pilot on 22:42 - Jun 12 with 1968 viewsDJack

I believe that Finland have fairly recently completed their UBI trial (and conclusions) so I would suggest that people look for English language versions of their published data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024