Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Swansea Arena... 14:41 - Jun 12 with 13506 viewsymaohyd

I'm enjoying driving past and seeing the new arena being built and the development across the road.

Don't know if anyone can answer a few questions.

Are then any plans to do something with the remaining St David's shopping centre (Where Iceland is) ?

Will they be knocking down St David's car park?

For the former, can't believe that they haven't knocked it down...it looks hideous. Typical Swansea, brand new development and right next to it a run down, empty practically derelict building! That part of town should now be one of the more attractive areas to own a retail business/cafe once the arena and new shops are finished?!

As for the car park, with the car park being built alongside the arena and the new multi storey opposite, seems pointless having a run down cesspit of a car park. I've seen some pictures of the new development, going back a few years and where the car park is , looks like a parkland area?

Anyone in the know can shed come light?

Thank you

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

New Swansea Arena... on 15:05 - Jun 12 with 8575 viewsjack_lord

https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2016/01/25/plan-for-500m-swansea-city-centr

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

New Swansea Arena... on 17:40 - Jun 12 with 8472 viewsymaohyd

New Swansea Arena... on 15:05 - Jun 12 by jack_lord

https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2016/01/25/plan-for-500m-swansea-city-centr

Cheers,

I think that (the video)is a bit outdated now though.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

New Swansea Arena... on 17:56 - Jun 12 with 8440 viewssP7qupUf

It is interesting watching it being built as I drive past. However, every time I have gone past there is no way in the world that social distancing and 2 meters are in evidence.
New Swansea Arena... on 18:11 - Jun 12 with 8414 viewskrunchykarrot

All we need now is a good CEO who books in good music. I remember the days when the council booked the likes of Supertramp and Gerry Rafferty, not another auto-tuned ABBA tribute.
New Swansea Arena... on 18:20 - Jun 12 with 8388 viewsjack_lord

New Swansea Arena... on 17:40 - Jun 12 by ymaohyd

Cheers,

I think that (the video)is a bit outdated now though.

Yes but the plans are pretty much the same. There may be revisions based on how the economy may nosedive. I had a conversation about what was happening with Icelands section of St Davids but I have completely forgotten what was said. I know the landlord paid a lot of money to repait the roof - something huge.

New Swansea Arena... on 18:24 - Jun 12 with 8373 viewsJoe_bradshaw

New Swansea Arena... on 18:11 - Jun 12 by krunchykarrot

All we need now is a good CEO who books in good music. I remember the days when the council booked the likes of Supertramp and Gerry Rafferty, not another auto-tuned ABBA tribute.

I saw Supertramp at Swansea University in 1974. In my three years there 74 - 77 we also had 10cc, Thin Lizzy and the Clash amongst others.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

New Swansea Arena... on 18:38 - Jun 12 with 8351 viewsjack_lord

New Swansea Arena... on 18:24 - Jun 12 by Joe_bradshaw

I saw Supertramp at Swansea University in 1974. In my three years there 74 - 77 we also had 10cc, Thin Lizzy and the Clash amongst others.

Would it have been the Swans or the council who arranged for The Who and Stevie Wonder to play the Vetch?

New Swansea Arena... on 18:48 - Jun 12 with 8324 viewsGaryjack

New Swansea Arena... on 18:38 - Jun 12 by jack_lord

Would it have been the Swans or the council who arranged for The Who and Stevie Wonder to play the Vetch?

That probably would have been the council, as The Who concert was a year or two after Malcolm Struel sold the ground to them
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 18:48]
Login to get fewer ads

New Swansea Arena... on 18:48 - Jun 12 with 8318 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Why would international touring bands opt to choose Swansea over Cardiff?

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

New Swansea Arena... on 18:54 - Jun 12 with 8294 viewsgadgetuk

The arena will be run by ATG (ambassador theatre group) who run similar venues all over the world. The plan is to host around 200 events including concerts and conferences.
New Swansea Arena... on 18:54 - Jun 12 with 8292 viewsJoe_bradshaw

New Swansea Arena... on 18:38 - Jun 12 by jack_lord

Almost certainly the council.

I was recently told by a councillor that the Stereophonics gig in Singleton last summer was originally planned for the Liberty but the Swans had taken over the stadium and asked for way too much money so the band and the council did a deal instead.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

New Swansea Arena... on 18:56 - Jun 12 with 8288 viewsGaryjack

New Swansea Arena... on 18:48 - Jun 12 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Who cares? Maybe we had a more forward thinking council at the time. The day after The Who played at The Vetch in front of some 30,000, Ninian Park hosted Bob Marley and the Wailers. It flopped spectacularly with barely 2,000 attending.
New Swansea Arena... on 19:09 - Jun 12 with 8265 viewsCatullus

Maybe they'll choose Swansea as well as Cardiff?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

New Swansea Arena... on 19:23 - Jun 12 with 8241 viewsScotia

I am chuffed that there is some form of development in Swansea.

I know for a fact that the Welsh government wanted and were prepared to help fund a bigger arena of around 10000 capacity provided Swansea council put in further infrastructure.

Swansea council went quiet on that and preferred to go down the "digital" arena route. The 10000 arena is heading to Cardiff. I wonder if that will come back to haunt Swansea.
New Swansea Arena... on 21:01 - Jun 12 with 8153 viewssP7qupUf

New Swansea Arena... on 19:23 - Jun 12 by Scotia

I am chuffed that there is some form of development in Swansea.

I know for a fact that the Welsh government wanted and were prepared to help fund a bigger arena of around 10000 capacity provided Swansea council put in further infrastructure.

Swansea council went quiet on that and preferred to go down the "digital" arena route. The 10000 arena is heading to Cardiff. I wonder if that will come back to haunt Swansea.

Bit like the velodrome that went to Newport. There was a proposal to build it next door to the pool down Sketty Lane. Council rejected it as there was no demand for cycling. At the time, my boy was competing at international level in triathlon and used to go to train in the Newport velodrome. It was packed and cyclists were coming on a Wednesday evening from Birmingham as it was closer and easier to get to than Manchester.

I am prepared to support the current administration but over the last 30 years it has been appalling.
New Swansea Arena... on 21:23 - Jun 12 with 8128 viewsLeonWasGod

New Swansea Arena... on 18:56 - Jun 12 by Garyjack

Who cares? Maybe we had a more forward thinking council at the time. The day after The Who played at The Vetch in front of some 30,000, Ninian Park hosted Bob Marley and the Wailers. It flopped spectacularly with barely 2,000 attending.

Ignore him. We've had touring bands down at the Liberty already.
New Swansea Arena... on 21:47 - Jun 12 with 8089 viewswestside

St.Davids Hall, Wales Milleniumn Centre and Bristol Hippodrome all hold about 2k where as Swansea Arena will hold 3.5k so maybe attractive for shows to come to Swansea.
New Swansea Arena... on 22:17 - Jun 12 with 8055 viewswestside

More info and fly through

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/swansea-indoor-arena-news-c
New Swansea Arena... on 23:05 - Jun 12 with 8012 viewsTNT

New Swansea Arena... on 18:48 - Jun 12 by Garyjack

That probably would have been the council, as The Who concert was a year or two after Malcolm Struel sold the ground to them
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 18:48]

Malcolm Struel or Dougie Sharpe?

Or 27 hedge funders?

Poll?
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 23:09]

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

New Swansea Arena... on 00:34 - Jun 13 with 7931 viewsEbo

The St Davids Multi-story is being demolished sometime in the next 12 months. in that area there will be another multi-story, a communal park, business units and the only building left will be the church. I think they are also getting rid of the building where Cranes is plus the buildings opposite up as far as New Look.

There are rumours of an iMax cinema being built in that patch of land but we'll have to wait and see.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

New Swansea Arena... on 01:13 - Jun 13 with 7917 viewsDyfnant

Why no underground parking like they have in Bristol?

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

New Swansea Arena... on 01:14 - Jun 13 with 7916 viewsgadgetuk

New Swansea Arena... on 01:13 - Jun 13 by Dyfnant

Why no underground parking like they have in Bristol?

1000 parking spaces
New Swansea Arena... on 09:18 - Jun 13 with 7795 viewsJinxy

In all of this will they address the road bottlenecks getting in and out of Swansea, the ridiculous location of the train station (and the fact that the bus and train stations are miles apart)? Doubt it. They can't even address the awful traffic flow/light logic - sitting at lights for ages, nothing coming the other way etc..

All the above put an awful lot of people off coming to Swansea.
New Swansea Arena... on 09:25 - Jun 13 with 7786 viewsjack247

That’s not the point. We can either take your attitude and not bother because Cardiff is a bigger, more accessible city, or strive to make Swansea as successful as it can be, regardless of anywhere else.

I know which attitude I prefer.
New Swansea Arena... on 09:47 - Jun 13 with 7757 viewsJinxy

New Swansea Arena... on 09:25 - Jun 13 by jack247

That’s not the point. We can either take your attitude and not bother because Cardiff is a bigger, more accessible city, or strive to make Swansea as successful as it can be, regardless of anywhere else.

I know which attitude I prefer.

Cardiff seemed to have a vision though didn't they? I think Russell Goodway had a lot to do with it. They had a theme in mind, and it all seemed to link together - the barrage/bay, city centre, Millennium centre and so on.

I know they attract and get more funding, but in Swansea it's a Morecambe and Wise scenario - none of the notes are in the right order. Bits and pieces everywhere. A guy I engaged in planning years ago (he'd worked with all the local councils within planning) told me the reasons included in-fighting at SCC - also people driving projects perhaps for selfish/political gain reasons. I do fear we'll end up with another patchwork quilt. Based on history, I have zero confidence they'll get this one right, but hope I'm wrong.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024