Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Swansea Arena... 14:41 - Jun 12 with 13513 viewsymaohyd

I'm enjoying driving past and seeing the new arena being built and the development across the road.

Don't know if anyone can answer a few questions.

Are then any plans to do something with the remaining St David's shopping centre (Where Iceland is) ?

Will they be knocking down St David's car park?

For the former, can't believe that they haven't knocked it down...it looks hideous. Typical Swansea, brand new development and right next to it a run down, empty practically derelict building! That part of town should now be one of the more attractive areas to own a retail business/cafe once the arena and new shops are finished?!

As for the car park, with the car park being built alongside the arena and the new multi storey opposite, seems pointless having a run down cesspit of a car park. I've seen some pictures of the new development, going back a few years and where the car park is , looks like a parkland area?

Anyone in the know can shed come light?

Thank you

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

New Swansea Arena... on 13:20 - Jun 15 with 1512 viewsfelixstowe_jack

New Swansea Arena... on 12:50 - Jun 15 by Darran

Great photo.

Great progress in the 3 months since the welsh Assembly banned me from visiting my home city.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

New Swansea Arena... on 13:43 - Jun 15 with 1484 viewsBrynmill_Jack

New Swansea Arena... on 09:47 - Jun 13 by Jinxy

Cardiff seemed to have a vision though didn't they? I think Russell Goodway had a lot to do with it. They had a theme in mind, and it all seemed to link together - the barrage/bay, city centre, Millennium centre and so on.

I know they attract and get more funding, but in Swansea it's a Morecambe and Wise scenario - none of the notes are in the right order. Bits and pieces everywhere. A guy I engaged in planning years ago (he'd worked with all the local councils within planning) told me the reasons included in-fighting at SCC - also people driving projects perhaps for selfish/political gain reasons. I do fear we'll end up with another patchwork quilt. Based on history, I have zero confidence they'll get this one right, but hope I'm wrong.

Well I suppose practice is needed to perfect bids and the follow through to deliver successful projects. Cardiff have been funded by probably way in excess of half a billion pounds more than we have so their projects were implemented without question whilst ours were agreed and then either downgraded or scrapped. Great to see the Arena coming along so well though.

Just waiting for the news it’s cancelled and going to be St David’s mk 2 lol

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

New Swansea Arena... on 13:46 - Jun 15 with 1482 viewsBrynmill_Jack

New Swansea Arena... on 18:24 - Jun 12 by Joe_bradshaw

I saw Supertramp at Swansea University in 1974. In my three years there 74 - 77 we also had 10cc, Thin Lizzy and the Clash amongst others.

Didn’t AC / DC play the uni in 1976 Joe?

New Swansea Arena... on 13:54 - Jun 15 with 1458 viewsJoe_bradshaw

New Swansea Arena... on 13:46 - Jun 15 by Brynmill_Jack

Didn’t AC / DC play the uni in 1976 Joe?

You're right of course they did. In fact I saw them three times including twice in Swansea in a few months in 1976. Brangwyn hall in the summer and the university in the Autumn and in between the reading festival at the end of August.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

New Swansea Arena... on 18:23 - Jun 15 with 1390 viewsKilkennyjack

New Swansea Arena... on 13:20 - Jun 15 by felixstowe_jack

Great progress in the 3 months since the welsh Assembly banned me from visiting my home city.

Its our Welsh Parliament.

The travel ban is to save lives during the pandemic.

You should write and thank them for doing such great work.

Beware of the Risen People

New Swansea Arena... on 21:49 - Jun 15 with 1350 viewsEbo

New Swansea Arena... on 13:20 - Jun 15 by felixstowe_jack

It's not an assembly you quivering whelk.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

New Swansea Arena... on 21:50 - Jun 15 with 1349 viewsEbo

New Swansea Arena... on 12:50 - Jun 15 by Darran

Great photo.

It is dwarfing the LC2 already, or it may just be the camera angle. Looking forward to seeing the digital skin they will put around it.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

New Swansea Arena... on 00:17 - Jun 16 with 1299 viewsBrynmill_Jack

New Swansea Arena... on 13:54 - Jun 15 by Joe_bradshaw

You're right of course they did. In fact I saw them three times including twice in Swansea in a few months in 1976. Brangwyn hall in the summer and the university in the Autumn and in between the reading festival at the end of August.

I was only 9 then. I can only imagine what it was like to watch them with Bon Scott at their best. You’re a very lucky chap Joe

Login to get fewer ads

New Swansea Arena... on 03:05 - Jun 16 with 1274 viewsGlyn1

Deleted as a duplicate post.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 3:07]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

New Swansea Arena... on 03:06 - Jun 16 with 1271 viewsGlyn1

New Swansea Arena... on 21:49 - Jun 15 by Ebo

It's not an assembly you quivering whelk.

Bonus point for using the word 'whelk". Seriously, well done.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 3:08]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

New Swansea Arena... on 04:46 - Jun 16 with 1262 viewsWhiterockin

New Swansea Arena... on 09:47 - Jun 13 by Jinxy

Cardiff seemed to have a vision though didn't they? I think Russell Goodway had a lot to do with it. They had a theme in mind, and it all seemed to link together - the barrage/bay, city centre, Millennium centre and so on.

I know they attract and get more funding, but in Swansea it's a Morecambe and Wise scenario - none of the notes are in the right order. Bits and pieces everywhere. A guy I engaged in planning years ago (he'd worked with all the local councils within planning) told me the reasons included in-fighting at SCC - also people driving projects perhaps for selfish/political gain reasons. I do fear we'll end up with another patchwork quilt. Based on history, I have zero confidence they'll get this one right, but hope I'm wrong.

also people driving projects perhaps for selfish/political gain reasons.

Back handers?
New Swansea Arena... on 09:56 - Jun 16 with 1194 viewsgadgetuk

New Swansea Arena... on 04:46 - Jun 16 by Whiterockin

also people driving projects perhaps for selfish/political gain reasons.

Back handers?

I suspect there may have been some truth to this in the past, not so sure with the current administration, in particular the leader Rob Stewart.

I have never seen a leader engage like he does on social media, he encourages people to contact him directly, responds fairly to criticism and to be fair he does seem to be delivering on what was promised.

How many times has Swansea produced artist impressions only for nothing to materialise? It has become a running joke.

The Kingsway looks far better than it has done in decades, the Palace theatre is being renovated, the High Street itself is gradually being transformed, the Arena is being built, as is new parking and accomodation.

For once I think Swansea has a leader who is actually leading, unlike previous incumbents who seemed to despise the general public and always seemed to do what was best for them.
New Swansea Arena... on 10:00 - Jun 16 with 1188 viewsSwansea93

Been looking forward to this arena being built for ages, I was worried it wouldn't go ahead, but when I drove past the other day I was shocked how quick it's gone up, hopefully we will get some good bands down here, even though Cardiff will get majority as it's double the size.

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

New Swansea Arena... on 10:08 - Jun 16 with 1179 viewsfelixstowe_jack

New Swansea Arena... on 18:23 - Jun 15 by Kilkennyjack

Its our Welsh Parliament.

The travel ban is to save lives during the pandemic.

You should write and thank them for doing such great work.

It is not a Parliament it is an assembly. Good to see the many people in Wales crossing the border to shop in England now the shops have opened wonder what that will do the the Welsh economy.

New Swansea Arena... on 10:16 - Jun 16 with 1172 viewsDr_Winston

New Swansea Arena... on 09:56 - Jun 16 by gadgetuk

I suspect there may have been some truth to this in the past, not so sure with the current administration, in particular the leader Rob Stewart.

I have never seen a leader engage like he does on social media, he encourages people to contact him directly, responds fairly to criticism and to be fair he does seem to be delivering on what was promised.

How many times has Swansea produced artist impressions only for nothing to materialise? It has become a running joke.

The Kingsway looks far better than it has done in decades, the Palace theatre is being renovated, the High Street itself is gradually being transformed, the Arena is being built, as is new parking and accomodation.

For once I think Swansea has a leader who is actually leading, unlike previous incumbents who seemed to despise the general public and always seemed to do what was best for them.

More seems to be happening under him I'll give him that. Still not sure about the long term effects of what they have planned, and Covid won't help them there unfortunately.

For example, we've got quite a bit of emphasis on retail and office space in the new development, which might have to be rethought depending upon behavioural changes that stem from it.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

New Swansea Arena... on 10:18 - Jun 16 with 1171 viewsCatullus

New Swansea Arena... on 10:08 - Jun 16 by felixstowe_jack

It is not a Parliament it is an assembly. Good to see the many people in Wales crossing the border to shop in England now the shops have opened wonder what that will do the the Welsh economy.

Sorry Felix,

https://senedd.wales/en/visiting/senedd/Pages/senedd.aspx

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

New Swansea Arena... on 10:29 - Jun 16 with 1159 viewsgadgetuk

New Swansea Arena... on 10:16 - Jun 16 by Dr_Winston

More seems to be happening under him I'll give him that. Still not sure about the long term effects of what they have planned, and Covid won't help them there unfortunately.

For example, we've got quite a bit of emphasis on retail and office space in the new development, which might have to be rethought depending upon behavioural changes that stem from it.

You may be well be right on that point, however I hope that we may also see an influx of city centre living - the student accomodation will certainly help and that may encourage some retail growth.

The other major focus has to be fit for purpose office space. A lot of the central office accomodation is not what modern firms will want, the office development on the Kingsway is certainly something that I can see being embraced.

I currently work in Maidenhead, it reminds me a lot of Swansea and it's relationship with Cardiff as it has Reading just down the road which is definitely the main hub for retail and tourism. That said, the local council is continuing with a massive redevelopment which is definitely having a positive impact on what was a very run down town. The focus on the redevelopment is city centre living.
New Swansea Arena... on 10:34 - Jun 16 with 1146 viewspencoedjack

New Swansea Arena... on 10:08 - Jun 16 by felixstowe_jack

Bought a new car last Monday from Motorpoint, I bought it on line & it was shipped down from Widnes to Newport.

Went to Newport to collect it where the sales team there shipped out over 100 cars to England on the previous Friday, all lost sales to the Welsh economy (anyone who has been there knows the 2 metre rule can be adhered too).

They'd heard the Newport showroom would end up being closed & just used as a pick up point for people collecting cars (I'd imagine the same will happen in the Swansea branch).

Dozy Drakeford get the Welsh economy moving before we fall further behind the rest of the UK & get the 3rd world country that Welsh Labour (& the Nationalists) seem to be heading us to.
New Swansea Arena... on 10:41 - Jun 16 with 1141 viewsDr_Winston

New Swansea Arena... on 10:34 - Jun 16 by pencoedjack

Bought a new car last Monday from Motorpoint, I bought it on line & it was shipped down from Widnes to Newport.

Went to Newport to collect it where the sales team there shipped out over 100 cars to England on the previous Friday, all lost sales to the Welsh economy (anyone who has been there knows the 2 metre rule can be adhered too).

They'd heard the Newport showroom would end up being closed & just used as a pick up point for people collecting cars (I'd imagine the same will happen in the Swansea branch).

Dozy Drakeford get the Welsh economy moving before we fall further behind the rest of the UK & get the 3rd world country that Welsh Labour (& the Nationalists) seem to be heading us to.

Businesses that can operate mostly outdoors or in larger warehouses should have been open weeks ago. It's absurd that Go Outdoors or Wyevale are open but Motorpoint isn't.

There doesn't seem to be much logic in how they're going about things at all.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

New Swansea Arena... on 10:42 - Jun 16 with 1139 viewsfelixstowe_jack

New Swansea Arena... on 10:18 - Jun 16 by Catullus

Sorry Felix,

https://senedd.wales/en/visiting/senedd/Pages/senedd.aspx

The Welsh assembly can call it self whatever it likes but that does not make it parliament.
A horse could call it self a cow but it is still a horse. Swansea Council could call itself a Parliament but it is still a council.

Parliamentary sovereignty is a principle of the UK constitution. It makes Parliament the supreme legal authority in the UK, which can create or end any law.

Therefore there is only one Parliament in the UK.

New Swansea Arena... on 10:58 - Jun 16 with 1125 viewsVincent_Vega

I’m the first to bash the council on developments And they don’t help themselves but some of the failed developments were hit by ‘external factors. Remember the SA1 and marina development proposed right before The 2008 crash? The boulevard scheme right before 2010 austerity cuts? The proposed barrage, electrification of railway lines and bay city region right before the brexit vote? Also I do love that they propose a big development to regenerate the city right before an election being assembly or general. Like clockwork.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

New Swansea Arena... on 11:01 - Jun 16 with 1122 viewsgadgetuk

New Swansea Arena... on 10:58 - Jun 16 by Vincent_Vega

I’m the first to bash the council on developments And they don’t help themselves but some of the failed developments were hit by ‘external factors. Remember the SA1 and marina development proposed right before The 2008 crash? The boulevard scheme right before 2010 austerity cuts? The proposed barrage, electrification of railway lines and bay city region right before the brexit vote? Also I do love that they propose a big development to regenerate the city right before an election being assembly or general. Like clockwork.

Spot on, I think Castle Quays went a similar way - and as you say the previous administrations haven't helped - the bendy bus was a disaster before it started!

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised to see development is still carrying on during this crisis.
New Swansea Arena... on 11:04 - Jun 16 with 1117 viewsVincent_Vega

New Swansea Arena... on 11:01 - Jun 16 by gadgetuk

Spot on, I think Castle Quays went a similar way - and as you say the previous administrations haven't helped - the bendy bus was a disaster before it started!

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised to see development is still carrying on during this crisis.

Oh the bendy buses! Clean forgot about that one, what a doozey that hair brained scheme was.

I’d love to try the nonprescription’s those council leaders were on when thinking up that idea.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

New Swansea Arena... on 11:05 - Jun 16 with 1117 viewsDr_Winston

New Swansea Arena... on 10:58 - Jun 16 by Vincent_Vega

The Welsh Gov undercut them over SA1. Much more funding was promised but never provided.

New Swansea Arena... on 14:41 - Jun 16 with 1075 viewsLandore_Jack

New Swansea Arena... on 11:36 - Jun 13 by Catullus

Agreed, lets build a multi storey by the Liberty and have more park and ride. Lets open Landore train station back up. Lets bring back the Mumbles train, it'd be a tourist attraction too. Lets have the so called Boris bikes and make the town centre more pedestrianised and green.
Don't just tell people not to use their cars, give them a viable option.

There was talk of re-opening Landore Station and Cockett station but I haven't heard anything for a long time. Are these projects dead in the water?

#backtojack

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024