Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Black Lives Matter on football shirts 11:04 - Jun 18 with 17336 viewsDarran

Is there anyone on here that cares so much that they would actually sign a petition against it?

The reason I ask is because I’ve just seen a former poster off here promoting the petition on Twitter.

Seriously how could any human being care enough about to sign it unless they’re a rampant racist?

Who actually gives a fuçk enough?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 11:45 - Jun 18 with 7389 viewsBadlands

Seriously how could any human being care enough about to sign it unless they’re a rampant racist?
Sit in the East and you'll get an answer to that.
Back in the 70s 80s I loved watching Cyrille Regis - one of those players I wished we'd sign under Toshack and the abuse he suffered was f*****g heart breaking. The feeling is still there with many fans. (Also the press have helped publicise some elements of opposition - self proclaimed 'veterans' / 'statue defender' - as some kind of heroes rather than Tommy Robinson's football thugs and EDL).

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 11:51 - Jun 18 with 7372 viewsKerouac

I'm certainly not going to sign any petition about it, but my thoughts are that politics should stay out of football.
There are people like me who fundamentally disagree with the objectives of BLM, some watch, some play, some coach...why on earth should those people be forced to have somebody else's political slogan emblazoned on their club's kit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 12:07 - Jun 18 with 7349 viewsGwyn737

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 11:51 - Jun 18 by Kerouac

I'm certainly not going to sign any petition about it, but my thoughts are that politics should stay out of football.
There are people like me who fundamentally disagree with the objectives of BLM, some watch, some play, some coach...why on earth should those people be forced to have somebody else's political slogan emblazoned on their club's kit?

I agree with the first sentence.

There are so many worthwhile causes it feels like there's a silence/applause/armband etc. every week and it feel like white noise.

Either leave it out altogether or choose a few causes that resonate with the club's values and stick to those.

I sort of did this with charities a few years ago - every year I pick one local, one national and one international and support them.
Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 13:33 - Jun 18 with 7252 viewsAndy1300

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 11:51 - Jun 18 by Kerouac

BLM has no place in sport, it’s a political movement and isn’t for the greater good.

I agree with the sentiment that black lives matter, it’s not racist to disagree with their cause.

Even our players are now taking the knee, pathetic.

Number 1 team in Wales

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 13:40 - Jun 18 with 7236 viewsDarran

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 13:33 - Jun 18 by Andy1300

BLM has no place in sport, it’s a political movement and isn’t for the greater good.

I agree with the sentiment that black lives matter, it’s not racist to disagree with their cause.

I honestly don’t understand why you care enough if they take a knee or not to say it’s pathetic?

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 13:43 - Jun 18 with 7229 viewsAndy1300

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 13:40 - Jun 18 by Darran

I honestly don’t understand why you care enough if they take a knee or not to say it’s pathetic?

Because it’s virtue signalling, has no place in sport, and believe me, it won’t end there.

It’s even got plenty of black people questioning why people are taking the knee.

We all have opinions, we shall agree to disagree

Number 1 team in Wales

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 13:44 - Jun 18 with 7225 viewsAndy1300

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 13:40 - Jun 18 by Darran

So what will happen when some people decide they won’t want to take the knee?

Leave it out of sport, it’s a political movement

Number 1 team in Wales

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 13:45 - Jun 18 with 7228 viewsDarran

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 13:43 - Jun 18 by Andy1300

Because it’s virtue signalling, has no place in sport, and believe me, it won’t end there.

It’s even got plenty of black people questioning why people are taking the knee.

We all have opinions, we shall agree to disagree

It doesn’t bother me at all.

Login to get fewer ads

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 13:59 - Jun 18 with 7191 viewssainthelens

All getting bit silly now. Extremists on both sides make it impossible to accept any view that differs theirs.
Would I sign it ? No.
Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 14:05 - Jun 18 with 7179 viewsJackfath

Its a shame the fa and other ruling bodies didn't take this much notice when players were getting abused regularly in previous matches. Still, let's hope it does make a difference and stops all those who think it's acceptable to make racist remarks/gestures in and around football matches, or anywhere for that matter.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 14:08 - Jun 18 with 7178 viewsKilkennyjack

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 13:33 - Jun 18 by Andy1300

Very proud of our club for this public showing of support.

This is about being human, and about equality for all.

There is only one side of this debate that will be on the right side of history.

Black Lives Matter #taketheknee ✊🏾

Beware of the Risen People

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 14:18 - Jun 18 with 7152 viewsKerouac

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 14:08 - Jun 18 by Kilkennyjack

Very proud of our club for this public showing of support.

This is about being human, and about equality for all.

There is only one side of this debate that will be on the right side of history.

Black Lives Matter #taketheknee ✊🏾

"There is only one side of this debate that will be on the right side of history.

...and there you have it, it's political, and if anyone refuses to take the knee because they don't agree with the objectives of BLM people like Kilkenny will label them a racist and hound them.
This has already resulted in many, many, good people losing their jobs/damaging their careers.

Nobody, on this planet, should be forced to say and do things that they don't agree with.
A line has to be drawn somewhere and if the events of the last fortnight haven't woken you up nothing will.

If I employed Kilkenny and the gang and forced them to take part in an 'All Lives Matter' photo opportunity what do you think their response would be?

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 14:29 - Jun 18 with 7137 viewsGwyn737

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 14:18 - Jun 18 by Kerouac

"There is only one side of this debate that will be on the right side of history.

...and there you have it, it's political, and if anyone refuses to take the knee because they don't agree with the objectives of BLM people like Kilkenny will label them a racist and hound them.
This has already resulted in many, many, good people losing their jobs/damaging their careers.

Nobody, on this planet, should be forced to say and do things that they don't agree with.
A line has to be drawn somewhere and if the events of the last fortnight haven't woken you up nothing will.

If I employed Kilkenny and the gang and forced them to take part in an 'All Lives Matter' photo opportunity what do you think their response would be?

Does that photo opportunity happen between the 'When's International Man's Day' and 'Why can't we have straight Pride' shoots?
Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 14:37 - Jun 18 with 7114 viewsKerouac

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 14:29 - Jun 18 by Gwyn737

Does that photo opportunity happen between the 'When's International Man's Day' and 'Why can't we have straight Pride' shoots?

No we don't have those in this country.

I think the photo opp occurred between the sacrifice of your grandfather being pissed on and International Transgender day, a statue of Caitlin Jenner will probably replace Churchill soon enough.

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 14:39 - Jun 18 with 7114 viewsexiledclaseboy

Statement:

Football/sport should stay out of politics.

Translation:

Football/sport should stay out of politics when it's something I don't agree with.

Poll: Tory leader

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 14:42 - Jun 18 with 7101 viewspencoedjack

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 14:18 - Jun 18 by Kerouac

Does anyone really giving a fuk what Kilkenny thinks?
Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 14:45 - Jun 18 with 7097 viewsKerouac

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 14:39 - Jun 18 by exiledclaseboy

Statement:

Football/sport should stay out of politics.

Translation:

Football/sport should stay out of politics when it's something I don't agree with.

Is there something wrong with your eyesight or your brain.

Football (and for that matter sport) should stay out of politics.

Swansea voted for Brexit, as did the rest of the country. You wouldn't like it if the Swans had adopted a solidarity with the people photo opp last Autumn would you, I don't think you'd be purchasing a Swans top with Brexit means Brexit stamped on it would you?

(...but then, as I am writing this I know what a waste of time it is to try and teach you right from wrong)

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 15:03 - Jun 18 with 7077 viewsTimTtam

Quite frankly I'm happy to see the BLM protests weeding out snowflake fans in sports worldwide. We don't need people supporting the Swans who get so offended at a peaceful protest and show of support.

Also I don't understand people that say sports and politics don't mix.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 15:04]

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 15:13 - Jun 18 with 7051 viewsAndy1300

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 15:03 - Jun 18 by TimTtam

Quite frankly I'm happy to see the BLM protests weeding out snowflake fans in sports worldwide. We don't need people supporting the Swans who get so offended at a peaceful protest and show of support.

Go and educate yourself on the BLM movement and what they want politically, then tell me that’s how you’d like to live

Number 1 team in Wales

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 15:17 - Jun 18 with 7034 viewsKerouac

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 15:03 - Jun 18 by TimTtam

Well then please explain why sports men and women should have an alternative career as an amateur politician then.

I'll explain to you why it doesn't work. Because professional sport is showbusiness.
"Weeding out fans" that you don't like?
I wouldn't advise it mate.
There are an awful lot of Swans fans who don't agree with BLM. They stop spending their money and WE don't have a club anymore.
I say WE because it is OUR club and not YOURS.
All Swans fans do not agree with your political views.

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 15:56 - Jun 18 with 6987 viewsJango

I have no problem with BLM being on football shirts or players taking the knee. Thought this article is quite fitting for the thread though. He sums up the dream team on this group perfectly.

First they came for the statues, then Basil Fawlty got ‘cancelled’ and three spoiled millionaires turned on their creator. So it was with J.K. Rowling’s woke progeny. Harry Potter, it would seem, is deathly shallow. Rupert Grint looked for a moment like holding firm, but he too quickly succumbed to the growing pressure to slip his golden dagger between Rowling’s shoulder blades. Surely these rich list regulars are perfectly placed to say what they actually think, protected from the ever-tightening vice of censorship? Apparently not. Fearing for their virtue or their future or both, the three children rounded on their mother. We must hope for better from Neville Longbottom.

I, too, have come to the conclusion that I may never get an acting job again without expressing ‘correct’ opinions. While this probably isn’t the end of the world for you, it is a cause of some sadness and anxiety for me. Not least because I’ve always loved my job and also because I have two children who need dinner and clothes and a holiday once in a while. In my job there is a lot of waiting around and a lot of banter and more serious conversations that take place on set. Until very recently, my views on life were met mostly with good humour and, if not always agreed with, always respectfully tolerated.

The genesis of this rather bleak view of my prospects came after my appearance on Question Time, where I voiced (slightly exasperatedly) a heresy that I’m fairly confident is held by a sizeable proportion of the population. The heresy was that, far from being hounded out by the baying racists of this statistically very tolerant and diverse country, Meghan Markle might, just might, have left for other reasons. Having spent years around actors, a fairly common trait is an enormous ego and the desire to be the centre of attention. I include myself very firmly in this bracket. So with little mental gymnastics involved, I wondered whether her departure might have had something to do with her being denied the limelight she craved.

I’d said this before on Gogglebox

and no one had batted an eyelid. But that was six months earlier, which – amid such blossoming clusters of the pathogenic spread of the woke religion – is an eternity. My opinion was further bolstered as I watched the brave and admired prince slowly compost and droop before our eyes into a bit of a sop; less Prince Hal, more Prince ‘Hang on, what do I say next, darling?’

In this progressive monoculture, with its zealous quest for faraway utopias, I had committed a grave sin. I had used my white privilege to ‘berate and bully’ a person of colour, as the ethnic minority sub-committee of the actors’ union Equity put it.

‘Denounce him! Disgraceful!’ came the cries from the illiberal liberals, who see race in every injustice and cry ‘fascism’ at anyone who doesn’t view the world from their same narrow and unstable ledge of conformity. The media had a field day.

Fortunately I’d had the sense, before my brain became so scrambled I couldn’t think, to hire myself a very good lawyer (something others without my dwindling financial privilege can ill afford) and Equity was reminded politely but firmly that the clue to its job was in the title of the organisation. It agreed to apologise and remunerated me for my troubles. Subsequently the whole of the Equity’s newly formed race equality committee resigned, and as far as I can tell, the whole union seems to be on wobbly ground.

Time passed. I set about removing the tar and feathers and the left-wing commentariat patted itself on the back and moved on. Deliberately or not, though, they missed the real story. Which was more likely: that Britain is an overwhelmingly tolerant and welcoming country, one that people risk their lives attempting to reach, or that Britain is a place where racism and bigotry hide in plain sight? One of these stories sells papers and the other is true.

In this progressive monoculture, with its zealous quest for faraway utopias, I committed a grave sin
Anyway, all this is by the by. I use this story to point out that even in the smallest, most apparently meaningless situations, identity politics can cause ripples that turn into bigger and more powerful waves when whipped up by the winds of the outrage media. Our silence at their corruption is read by them as consent.

On 25 May the world watched as a policeman kneeled on a man’s neck for almost nine minutes, killing him. Our jaws dropped in horror and disgust. Something needed to be done. Justice needed to be done and seen to be done. On that, all were agreed. Black lives matter – three such powerful words. Words we all could unite behind. But was it that simple?

A week later, I got a text from a very well-known young actor with a screenshot of a tweet of mine which read: ‘Every single human life is precious. The end.’ ‘Can you explain this to me?’ said the message. My phone rang; I picked it up and knew straight away that my friend and I were not alone on the call. I heard a quiet shushing, an awkward pause, the white noise on the line changed to speakerphone levels, the louder background and less intimate voice that give these things away.

‘Hey Loz… I want to really understand you… I mean… I defend you and as you know… I really love you… [You’re an actor, the only thing you love is the mirror, darling] but this… this is really hard…’

‘Which part of it?’ I said.

‘Can’t you see it’s just wrong?’ they said.

‘What?’ I said.

‘Loz…’ came the gently menacing reply. ‘How can I defend you, man? When you are saying shit like this?’

‘Shit like what?’ I said. ‘That every single human life is precious? Which part of that is problematic for you?’

‘It’s racist,’ came the reply.

Cue deep sigh. Let me say at this point that I firmly believe that most people take the BLM mission statement at face value and support it in kind. I’m aware that I am not black and have no concept of the lived experience of anyone other than myself.

Now where was I? Yes. I asked my ‘chum’ what they saw when they looked at the media coverage of this whole story. I asked whether they had heard of David Dorn (a retired policeman gunned down by a looter attempting to rob a pawn shop) once the rioting began, in the news. I asked whether they thought it was in any way significant that David Dorn (also a black life) had been murdered in cold blood, yet George Floyd’s senseless killing dominated every headline. I asked whether they thought it was significant that the man who gunned down David Dorn when caught would be charged with first-degree murder, and yet George Floyd’s killer would be tried for second-degree murder at best. I asked: was this fair? I asked whether the media might perhaps be complicit in fanning the flames of outrage? Whether George Floyd’s equally precious life was being used to serve other, more sinister objectives?

There was a silence. We ended the call frostily and haven’t spoken since.

My conclusion is that this tragic situation has become part of another narrative, a series of stories wound together to serve a broader societal aim. Righteous global outrage at a cruel and vile killing has morphed into a different agenda. Similar things have happened with other movements; #MeToo,Extinction Rebellion, Brexit, even the Covid-19 pandemic. The left rightly expose great chasms of inequality and hypocrisy in society – then proceed to throw themselves like lemmings into that void, unable to obey their own edicts. Desperately important causes have been politicised to the point of meaninglessness, opportunities for action hijacked swiftly by the cynical actors. No human being could fail to be appalled by what happened to George Floyd. We were united in our outrage. But what could have been a moment for unity has instead torn us apart.

All injustice needs our collective and righteous anger. But the pursuit of that justice should bring us together, not divide us. Not social justice, not climate justice, not black justice. Just justice.

We must start with what unites us, beginning with trying to see the best in people. Though some will exploit our good faith, we should offer it nevertheless. We must be aware of biased media, including our own state broadcaster the BBC. It has moved from the Jeremy Bowen-style ‘show not tell’ reportage of old, to one that describes protests that led to hospitalisations and mass arrests as ‘largely peaceful’. Some news suppliers have decided to relativise, and even encourage, angry mob tactics.

So here I am, a white posh bloke, who loves his job, who has worked hard to be good at it, facing an uncertain future – all for the heinous sin of shaking my fist at the ugly, hypocritical and inconsistent god of progressivism. But unhappily for some (my agent and bank manager mainly) I will continue to say what I believe to be true. I’m not always right and very often wrong, but unless we can accommodate multiple understandings of a situation soon, it will all end with us abandoning words and reason, the tools given to us to heal and come together, in favour of the simpler but far more terrifying tools of engagement: fists, knives and guns. It’s already happening, and we should all be concerned by it. We cannot stand by in silence. Words are the answer.

WRITTEN BY
Laurence Fox
Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 16:30 - Jun 18 with 6935 viewsNotLoyal

I'm not going to be bullied in to anything, regardless of what it is. I won't confirm to anyone who wants me personally to do anything, kneeling down, standing up or whatever. Petitions can fck off, protesting for and against this months trendy ideal can fck off, as I've said family first, that's what matters, and if people don't like it they can climb down from their social media soap box and talk to someone who gives a fck. Because I don't.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 16:31 - Jun 18 with 6933 viewsNotLoyal

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 13:44 - Jun 18 by Andy1300

So what will happen when some people decide they won’t want to take the knee?

Leave it out of sport, it’s a political movement

It's bullying.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 16:39 - Jun 18 with 6918 viewsTimTtam

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 15:17 - Jun 18 by Kerouac

Well then please explain why sports men and women should have an alternative career as an amateur politician then.

I'll explain to you why it doesn't work. Because professional sport is showbusiness.
"Weeding out fans" that you don't like?
I wouldn't advise it mate.
There are an awful lot of Swans fans who don't agree with BLM. They stop spending their money and WE don't have a club anymore.
I say WE because it is OUR club and not YOURS.
All Swans fans do not agree with your political views.

If an athlete wants to take a political stance, then they can and should be able to. It's the idea that athletes can't have a say politically that annoys me.

Any fan of a sporting code that says they'll refuse to watch or won't buy a season ticket etc, is essentially weeding themselves out. You're right that there are fans out there that don't agree with the protests & kneeling. And that's their view they're entitled to. But it's a bit sad that some may feel the need to stop watching the sport altogether, simply because of a protest they don't like or agree with.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

Black Lives Matter on football shirts on 16:41 - Jun 18 with 6907 viewsJack59

Keep politics out of football. No good will come of it, it will be one issue after another.
This will only result in further polarisation and more entrenched views, didn't FIFA ban this sort of thing, weren't Clubs and nations banned from displaying the Poppy on shirts?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024