Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone been to Egypt? 21:12 - Jun 18 with 6500 viewsBrynCartwright

Up there with Japan, Argentina and Canada to me in terms of new countries i'd like to get to before I snuff it.

{Talking about Japan, what's happened to Cooperman?)

Would love to see the pyramids, the Valley of the Kings, Karnak and all that.

Just wondering if anyone on PS has been there, done that and can recommend anything?

[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 21:30]

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Anyone been to Egypt? on 21:21 - Jun 18 with 5369 viewsBLAZE

I've been to Sharm, which is basically just a holiday resort. No culture there, but great for diving / snorkelling. I'd go again though, and I'd be prepared for the mosquitos this time too.

My parents went on a week-long cruise down the Nile, with a second week in Hurghada. It was their favourite holiday and they've been all over
Anyone been to Egypt? on 21:35 - Jun 18 with 5335 viewsFlashberryjack

I've been to Sharm several times until the F/O advised not to travel there, we go to Hurghada every year now, would have been there in May but for the virus.

Be happy to answer any questions if I can.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Anyone been to Egypt? on 21:47 - Jun 18 with 5317 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

I've been to Luxor (Thebes to the ancient Greeks). Magnificent place; the whole thing felt like being in an Indiana Jones movie. Heartily recommend it,

The temples and tombs were a sight to behold; really makes you put civilization into context - how awesome, strong, longstanding they can be, and yet now just a tourist trap. Took a cruise on the Nile too, which was great until the giant bees came buzzing around my head, and then it was f*ck this, I'm going down to the bar.

A lot of people go to Giza because of the Pyramids - and who can blame them? it's certainly on my list, but Luxor probably has more to see and do.

Oh, and it's hot. F*CKING HOT. 45C in the shade hot. At least it is if you're an idiot and go in the summer like I did.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 21:48]

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Anyone been to Egypt? on 21:49 - Jun 18 with 5308 viewsraynor94

A week cruising the Nile, and a week in Luxor, one of my all time favourite holidays.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Anyone been to Egypt? on 21:51 - Jun 18 with 5308 viewsFlashberryjack

Anyone been to Egypt? on 21:21 - Jun 18 by BLAZE

I've been to Sharm, which is basically just a holiday resort. No culture there, but great for diving / snorkelling. I'd go again though, and I'd be prepared for the mosquitos this time too.

My parents went on a week-long cruise down the Nile, with a second week in Hurghada. It was their favourite holiday and they've been all over

3 of us took a private taxi (guide included) from Hurghada to Karnak temple (absolutely amazing) then to the valley of the kings, followed with an hours boat trip up the Nile (just us the guide and the boat owner).

Our hotel wanted £400, but after a bit of haggling I brought it down to £300, we were back in the hotel at around 7:30 pm, it was a hard trip, but worth every single penny.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Anyone been to Egypt? on 21:56 - Jun 18 with 5293 viewsSwanjaxs

Was reading the other day the Japanese government are paying half of air fares and accommodation to any travellers that are willing to travel there to encourage tourists

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Anyone been to Egypt? on 22:24 - Jun 18 with 5245 viewsBLAZE

Anyone been to Egypt? on 21:35 - Jun 18 by Flashberryjack

I've been to Sharm several times until the F/O advised not to travel there, we go to Hurghada every year now, would have been there in May but for the virus.

Be happy to answer any questions if I can.

How does Hurghada compare to Sharm?

This thread has me itching to travel now
Anyone been to Egypt? on 22:51 - Jun 18 with 5200 viewspencoedjack

Argentina, Canada & Japan all on my list not interested in going to Egypt.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:11 - Jun 18 with 5182 viewsBanosswan

Egypt is full of horrible misogynists. Do not go there if you value your wife or daughter.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:13 - Jun 18 with 5175 viewsSwanjaxs

Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:11 - Jun 18 by Banosswan

Egypt is full of horrible misogynists. Do not go there if you value your wife or daughter.

Bit like Penclawdd then 🤔

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.

Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:16 - Jun 18 with 5171 viewsBanosswan

Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:13 - Jun 18 by Swanjaxs

Bit like Penclawdd then 🤔

Bont

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.

Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:19 - Jun 18 with 5163 viewslondonlisa2001

To the OP.

Four of us did a week on the Nile, a few days in Cairo and finished off with a few days in the Movenpick El Gouna.

Brilliant holiday. The cruise week was fantastic. We had an Egyptologist that took us around. Most days started with a tour at about 6.30 am ish (due to the heat) - full morning, then back to the boat foe lunch, and a lazy afternoon sailing down the Nile relaxing on board or round the pool. Then sometimes evening trips as well or late afternoons before dinner. Luxor, Karnak, Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens, Tutankhamen’s tomb.
Cairo we did the museum which is brilliant, and the pyramids. Again a mixture of sightseeing and a bit of sun in the afternoon. And the hotel was fantastic at the beach for a few days relaxing.

Would definitely recommend it. One of the best trips ever (along with India).
Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:22 - Jun 18 with 5159 viewsBanosswan

Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:19 - Jun 18 by londonlisa2001

To the OP.

Four of us did a week on the Nile, a few days in Cairo and finished off with a few days in the Movenpick El Gouna.

Brilliant holiday. The cruise week was fantastic. We had an Egyptologist that took us around. Most days started with a tour at about 6.30 am ish (due to the heat) - full morning, then back to the boat foe lunch, and a lazy afternoon sailing down the Nile relaxing on board or round the pool. Then sometimes evening trips as well or late afternoons before dinner. Luxor, Karnak, Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens, Tutankhamen’s tomb.
Cairo we did the museum which is brilliant, and the pyramids. Again a mixture of sightseeing and a bit of sun in the afternoon. And the hotel was fantastic at the beach for a few days relaxing.

Apologist.

Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:25 - Jun 18 with 5150 viewsSwanjaxs

Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:19 - Jun 18 by londonlisa2001

To the OP.

Were the other three LOH, ECB and Prosser?

Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:26 - Jun 18 with 5148 viewslondonlisa2001

Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:22 - Jun 18 by Banosswan

Apologist.

Apologist for what? I don’t understand.
Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:41 - Jun 18 with 5119 viewslondonlisa2001

Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:25 - Jun 18 by Swanjaxs

Were the other three LOH, ECB and Prosser?

Strangely not.

Actually I’m laughing at the memory - on the boat was a fabulous bunch from the Coventry branch of the Fiat 500 club - what a bunch of nutters they were. And there was a bloke who had a different Middlesbrough football shirt every day of the 7 days we were on board. His wife was absolutely lovely and hated him as far as we could tell...
Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:49 - Jun 18 with 5104 viewsSwanjaxs

Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:41 - Jun 18 by londonlisa2001

Strangely not.

Actually I’m laughing at the memory - on the boat was a fabulous bunch from the Coventry branch of the Fiat 500 club - what a bunch of nutters they were. And there was a bloke who had a different Middlesbrough football shirt every day of the 7 days we were on board. His wife was absolutely lovely and hated him as far as we could tell...

Sound a blast fair play.

Always great when football brings us all together as one 🙌

*edit*

My wife has a Fiat 500 🙈 🇮🇹
[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 23:52]

Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:52 - Jun 18 with 5100 viewsBanosswan

Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:26 - Jun 18 by londonlisa2001

Apologist for what? I don’t understand.

Sorry, for such a feminist to defend this place is amazing.

Horrible country with horrible attitudes to women.

Anyone been to Egypt? on 00:27 - Jun 19 with 5070 viewslondonlisa2001

Anyone been to Egypt? on 23:52 - Jun 18 by Banosswan

Sorry, for such a feminist to defend this place is amazing.

Horrible country with horrible attitudes to women.

I didn’t notice any worse attitudes when I was there than many other places.

Our Egyptologist from Cairo university was a woman. Perhaps she knew where to avoid.

The worst place I’ve ever been for being harassed was Turkey. By a mile.

Many countries have horrible attitudes towards women. But I didn’t personally encounter it in Egypt. I can only comment on my own experience. And I’m not certain saying somewhere is great for a holiday is defending anything anyway to be honest.
Anyone been to Egypt? on 01:15 - Jun 19 with 5041 viewsMuteswan

We went in 2008, so quite a while ago, before the latest problems. Stayed in Sharm and did 3 excursions, snorkelling in the Red Sea, flew to Cairo for the museum, pyramids etc. and flew to Jordan and went to Petra. The reasons we flew to the other places were travelling time and security basically. As it was , the trips were all day jobs, and I mean all day.
The museum was , as you’d expect ,amazing. Tutankhamun exhibition was stunning. No photography allowed. ☹️ Pyramids and Sphinx are so much bigger than you imagine! Did the VIP tour, so private car and guide, expensive but less time travelling and no queuing.
Petra is superb, a lot of walking, but well worth the effort. Fantastic experience. Take a camera with you. Phones are great but the wide angle and zoom on a decent camera cannot be matched. I’ll try to post some photos I took, another time. If you feel safe about going, it’s a great experience.
Oh yes, I nearly forgot. IT IS VERY HOT. ☀️☀️☀️
Anyone been to Egypt? on 03:52 - Jun 19 with 5003 viewsdameedna

I know Egypt really well.

Here are my thoughts on visiting

1. Giza - visit for pyramids and sphinx. Do not get on a camel and do not speak to the tribesmen here. You have been warned. Only go on official tours as a tourist and only go on the steps and inside with a paid guide, it is obvious, don't go off the beaten track here sunshine, it looks tempting cos it is a trap. Police weak in this area.

2. Heliopolis - stay here if you can, try a guest house rather than a hotel. All round here you will see Christians and Muslims living side by side. Churches and Mosques worth seeing. Cakes are special too in the Chistian area outside the main church or cathedral.

3. Sharm. It is fantastic. Get a flight from Cairo and stay on one of the all expenses paid resorts that include food, booze, cigs, sport such as tennis and snorkelling. You can venture out to the local market if feeling charitable, bargains to be had, but you do need to be a wise-ass here to avoid getting waylaid.

4. Valley. Only go on an expensive cruise on a big boat with security and insurance. Otherwise stick with the above three suggestions. Cruise can get boring, I recommend only doing the shortest cruise. Due to the nature of this area, you have to join the main throng which is not cheap and can get wearing with all the slowness of the herd.

Overall, highly recommended. Very easy to hire a driver and car in Heliopolis, who will look after you. Probably called Mohammed. .

Try the Cleopatra fags.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 3:54]
Anyone been to Egypt? on 05:55 - Jun 19 with 4969 viewssainthelens

Anyone been to Egypt? on 03:52 - Jun 19 by dameedna

I know Egypt really well.

Here are my thoughts on visiting

1. Giza - visit for pyramids and sphinx. Do not get on a camel and do not speak to the tribesmen here. You have been warned. Only go on official tours as a tourist and only go on the steps and inside with a paid guide, it is obvious, don't go off the beaten track here sunshine, it looks tempting cos it is a trap. Police weak in this area.

2. Heliopolis - stay here if you can, try a guest house rather than a hotel. All round here you will see Christians and Muslims living side by side. Churches and Mosques worth seeing. Cakes are special too in the Chistian area outside the main church or cathedral.

3. Sharm. It is fantastic. Get a flight from Cairo and stay on one of the all expenses paid resorts that include food, booze, cigs, sport such as tennis and snorkelling. You can venture out to the local market if feeling charitable, bargains to be had, but you do need to be a wise-ass here to avoid getting waylaid.

4. Valley. Only go on an expensive cruise on a big boat with security and insurance. Otherwise stick with the above three suggestions. Cruise can get boring, I recommend only doing the shortest cruise. Due to the nature of this area, you have to join the main throng which is not cheap and can get wearing with all the slowness of the herd.

Overall, highly recommended. Very easy to hire a driver and car in Heliopolis, who will look after you. Probably called Mohammed. .

Try the Cleopatra fags.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 3:54]

May I say I found your last remark slightly homophobic but very funny, and certainly has given us a further insight to the trip you had.
Anyone been to Egypt? on 08:29 - Jun 19 with 4910 viewsScotia

I went to Luxor on honeymoon and it was amazing, stayed on an island in the Nile. The place is amazing, it genuinely is like an open air museum. A highlight for me was the "valley of the artists" even more impressive than the Valley of the Kings.

The locals are really nice, but you get the usual N. African / E. Med pestering so just be polite and keep your wits about you.

We went for a stoll around the market and a trader recognised I was British, then said "you have a Welsh accent - but not from Cardiff, you are from further west, are you from Swansea?" I was amazed nobody else in the world has even recognised I'm Welsh, and when I've explained haven't heard of the place.
Anyone been to Egypt? on 08:42 - Jun 19 with 4901 viewsMrSwerve

Cairo is an eye-opener, a lot of poverty. At least there was when I went (15ish years ago).

The Pyramids are spectacular and the museum really interesting. I seem to remember the museum being absolutely sweltering hot, though.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Anyone been to Egypt? on 09:43 - Jun 19 with 4871 viewssquarebear

It's been a while since my trip to Luxor. What struck me was how poor nearly everyone seemed.

Lots of old stones; impressive stuff.

Lots of crowds. Oh, so many crowds.

Things I'd do differently:
Set the alarm and get up at stupid o'clock to avoid the crowds
Hire a guide (maybe a taxi). Stick with him all week.
Take warm clothes if you have a day on the Nile. It's mighty chilly first thing.

Towards the end of my week I'd begun to develop a bit of "looking at old stone fatigue" but then we arrived at the Temple of Hatshepsut. Bugger me, that was stunning. The shine went off it years later, mind, as a result of the massacre of tourists there.

And that's my problem with Moslem countries in general. I'd love to see Iran, the Lebanon, I nearly had a work trip to Pakistan once (called off by the Pakistani organiser due to concerns we might get killed). There's beautiful stuff to see and experience, but if these things worry you/whoever you're with so you're on high alert then it really detracts from the experience.

It's silly. I used to have that same feeling of nerves when I first moved to the USA, but never had any bother.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 9:44]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024