Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is 'shtum' a Welsh word? And do you know what it means? 03:56 - Jun 21 with 3260 viewsGlyn1

I always thought that 'keeping shtum' was a Welsh word but I've just read it in a US crime novel and it jarred with me a little. Is this a US phrase or is the writer a Brit?

Where did it come from?

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Is 'shtum' a Welsh word? And do you know what it means? on 06:39 - Jun 21 with 3227 viewsJimmyGilligan

It's German
Is 'shtum' a Welsh word? And do you know what it means? on 07:28 - Jun 21 with 3212 viewsKilkennyjack

Is ‘clec’ a welsh word ?

I had never realised.

Beware of the Risen People

Is 'shtum' a Welsh word? And do you know what it means? on 08:12 - Jun 21 with 3175 viewsWarwickHunt

It’s usually schtum and it’s Yiddish from stumm which is German for silent.
Is 'shtum' a Welsh word? And do you know what it means? on 08:49 - Jun 21 with 3144 viewssquarebear

Is 'shtum' a Welsh word? And do you know what it means? on 08:12 - Jun 21 by WarwickHunt

Yeah, Yiddish would've been my guess

(But you beat me to it).
Is 'shtum' a Welsh word? And do you know what it means? on 09:12 - Jun 21 with 3116 viewsWarwickHunt

Is 'shtum' a Welsh word? And do you know what it means? on 08:49 - Jun 21 by squarebear

Yeah, Yiddish would've been my guess

(But you beat me to it).

Already.
Is 'shtum' a Welsh word? And do you know what it means? on 09:14 - Jun 21 with 3113 viewsProfessor

Is 'shtum' a Welsh word? And do you know what it means? on 08:12 - Jun 21 by WarwickHunt

Yep. Like schmaltz, schmuck,
Chutzpah and nosh. Yiddish-
Derived from Old German.
Is 'shtum' a Welsh word? And do you know what it means? on 09:18 - Jun 21 with 3101 viewsoldcob

Is the right answer.
Is 'shtum' a Welsh word? And do you know what it means? on 10:40 - Jun 21 with 3039 viewsCatullus

Although 'keep shtum' is considered a British phrase.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

Is 'shtum' a Welsh word? And do you know what it means? on 22:39 - Jun 21 with 2933 viewsTNT

Glyn, maybe you're thinking of, 'Ca' dy shol'.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024