Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff 13:27 - Jun 25 with 3220 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

A university has appeared to defend one of its professors after a petition was launched against her for saying "white lives don't matter".

Gopal tweeted: “I’ll say it again. White Lives Don’t Matter. As white lives”, followed by “Abolish whiteness" in a later tweet.

Without referencing the professor directly, the university tweeted: “The University defends the right of its academics to express their own lawful opinions which others might find controversial and deplores in the strongest terms abuse and personal attacks.

"These attacks are totally unacceptable and must cease”.

Dr Priyamvada Gopal, a professor in colonial and postcolonial literature at Cambridge University, has faced a stream of abuse after posting a series of tweets on Tuesday.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/cambridge-university-professor-abolish-whiteness-12082

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 13:37 - Jun 25 with 2189 viewspikeypaul

The usual suspects will be along shortly defending her and her racist comments no doubt.

OUT

AFLI

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 14:07 - Jun 25 with 2172 viewsNotLoyal

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 13:37 - Jun 25 by pikeypaul

The usual suspects will be along shortly defending her and her racist comments no doubt.

OUT

AFLI

If she said that she is scum.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 14:40 - Jun 25 with 2130 viewsDrizzy

Can someone please explain what 'whiteness' actually is?

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 14:50 - Jun 25 with 2115 viewsHighjack

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 14:40 - Jun 25 by Drizzy

whiteness
/ˈwʌɪtnəs/
Learn to pronounce
noun
the property or quality of being white in colour.
"a landscape dominated by the whiteness of snow"
the fact or state of belonging to a human group having light-coloured skin.
"whiteness was defined as both a racial and a regional characteristic"

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 15:13 - Jun 25 with 2088 viewsProfessor

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 14:40 - Jun 25 by Drizzy

If you read the Twitter threads its based around 8 themes such as White Privilege.

She actually said "White Lives don't matter. As white lives"

Personally I think it was an ill-judged choice of words, but the abuse she has received is beyond any justification.

Interesting that she has received support from Toby Young
Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 15:17 - Jun 25 with 2078 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 15:13 - Jun 25 by Professor

If you read the Twitter threads its based around 8 themes such as White Privilege.

Personally I think it was an ill-judged choice of words, but the abuse she has received is beyond any justification.

The racist abuse she has received in response to her racist comment is beyond any justification, you're right. I hope those responsible for sending those messages to her are prosecuted.

If she had said "Black Lives don't matter. As black lives", do you think the university would have defended her?

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 15:33 - Jun 25 with 2057 viewsDarran

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 15:13 - Jun 25 by Professor

Of course it’s an ill judged choice of words but some people are just not interested in basic truth and common sense surrounding this issue.
Most people can see it,some just don’t want to.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 16:08 - Jun 25 with 2027 viewslondonlisa2001

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 15:33 - Jun 25 by Darran

Of course it’s an ill judged choice of words but some people are just not interested in basic truth and common sense surrounding this issue.
Most people can see it,some just don’t want to.

Her tweet wasn’t racist. However, it was deliberately provocative, as to understand why it’s not racist requires either some background knowledge of what this stream of political thought is about, or alternatively a far longer explanation than is possible on Twitter.

I imagine that was the point - a lot of people that would have had zero interest are now talking about it and talking about her.

I think that it’s important that people like Gopal are careful not to cause harm to those who are not in her rather protected position from those she has provoked. For that, I believe she should apologise, explain what her tweet meant to those who are confused, and everyone should aim to calm the conversation down rather than stir it up.
An academic should of course encourage thought and discussion but not in such a provocative way. Twitter is not a Cambridge tutorial group and a tweet shouldn’t be designed to provoke as though it was an essay topic for the week.
Login to get fewer ads

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 16:17 - Jun 25 with 2006 viewsDrizzy

Seems as though people who "don't see race" are suddenly very incensed at perceived hatred towards their race.

Funny that.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 16:19 - Jun 25 with 2004 viewsProfessor

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 16:08 - Jun 25 by londonlisa2001

Her tweet wasn’t racist. However, it was deliberately provocative, as to understand why it’s not racist requires either some background knowledge of what this stream of political thought is about, or alternatively a far longer explanation than is possible on Twitter.

I imagine that was the point - a lot of people that would have had zero interest are now talking about it and talking about her.

I think that it’s important that people like Gopal are careful not to cause harm to those who are not in her rather protected position from those she has provoked. For that, I believe she should apologise, explain what her tweet meant to those who are confused, and everyone should aim to calm the conversation down rather than stir it up.
An academic should of course encourage thought and discussion but not in such a provocative way. Twitter is not a Cambridge tutorial group and a tweet shouldn’t be designed to provoke as though it was an essay topic for the week.

Far more eloquently put than I could have. I worry it has caused more harm than good.
Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 16:30 - Jun 25 with 1994 viewslondonlisa2001

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 16:19 - Jun 25 by Professor

Far more eloquently put than I could have. I worry it has caused more harm than good.

Certainly in the short term it does. Maybe not in the longer term if it genuinely encourages people to read and learn. The issue of course, is that it won’t. Her audience isn’t Cambridge students, it’s Twitter. That’s why it’s the wrong medium to choose to start debate if that was her intention. An article in a proper newspaper or journal would have been far better.

If the instinctive response of someone is to send her a picture of a noose with threats, they are hardly going to start reading about the notion of ‘whiteness’ and how it came about are they.
Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 17:54 - Jun 25 with 1941 viewsNotLoyal

Looking at the tweet it seems she provoked the reaction by the structure of her post.
Tough, she knew what she was doing.

OK I've changed it.

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 17:57 - Jun 25 with 1935 viewsProfessor

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 17:54 - Jun 25 by NotLoyal

Looking at the tweet it seems she provoked the reaction by the structure of her post.

I tend to agree-hence my reservations.
Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 17:59 - Jun 25 with 1932 viewsHumpty

I'm sure Dwight and Pikey have been tireless in their efforts to get our current PM to step down due to the blatantly racist articles he wrote for the Telegraph.
Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 17:59 - Jun 25 with 1932 viewslondonlisa2001

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 17:54 - Jun 25 by NotLoyal

Definitely used the structure to provoke.

The reaction to it is horrific and undeserved.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 18:00]
Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 18:02 - Jun 25 with 1926 viewsDarran

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 17:59 - Jun 25 by Humpty

I'm sure Dwight and Pikey have been tireless in their efforts to get our current PM to step down due to the blatantly racist articles he wrote for the Telegraph.

Why don’t you just say what she said was wrong?

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 18:04 - Jun 25 with 1923 viewsNotLoyal

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 17:59 - Jun 25 by londonlisa2001

Definitely used the structure to provoke.

The reaction to it is horrific and undeserved.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 18:00]

I can't stand twitter, so haven't seen the reaction, some would say though each to their own. Just goes to show that allegedly educated people are about a bright as pilots 😉

OK I've changed it.

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 18:12 - Jun 25 with 1910 viewsHumpty

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 18:02 - Jun 25 by Darran

I do think she was wrong to say it. I don't know whether the accusation is true or not but even if true Labour could do without prominent people saying things which they know the right wing press will use against them, especially if the accusation is antisemitism.

I didn't post she was wrong until now but I up arrowed a post from Monmouth in which he said she was wrong to do what she did.
Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 18:13 - Jun 25 with 1909 viewsHumpty

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 18:02 - Jun 25 by Darran

Do you think what Johnson wrote was racist?
Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 18:16 - Jun 25 with 1901 viewsDarran

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 18:13 - Jun 25 by Humpty

Do you think what Johnson wrote was racist?

Johnson is the scum of the earth Pal,he’s a disgraceful embarrassment to this country,of course he a racist.

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 18:25 - Jun 25 with 1884 viewsTreforys_Jack

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 18:16 - Jun 25 by Darran

Johnson is the scum of the earth Pal,he’s a disgraceful embarrassment to this country,of course he a racist.

Will you stop posting stuff I agree with, it goes against the grain and I'm fed up with up arrowing you.
Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 18:27 - Jun 25 with 1880 viewsHumpty

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 18:16 - Jun 25 by Darran

Agreed. Have you seen Pikey or Dwight criticise him for his racism? I'd say the views of our PM are slightly more important than the views of an employee of a University.
Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 18:29 - Jun 25 with 1877 viewsTreforys_Jack

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 18:27 - Jun 25 by Humpty

Agreed. Have you seen Pikey or Dwight criticise him for his racism? I'd say the views of our PM are slightly more important than the views of an employee of a University.

There is no way Pikey is a real person. He's just there to cause offence.
Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 18:45 - Jun 25 with 1862 viewsHumpty

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 18:29 - Jun 25 by Treforys_Jack

There is no way Pikey is a real person. He's just there to cause offence.

It's true that both of them are trolls who like to cause offence, unfortunately both are real people.
Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 18:48 - Jun 25 with 1860 viewsTreforys_Jack

Cambridge University Defends (then promotes) Racist Member of Staff on 18:45 - Jun 25 by Humpty

It's true that both of them are trolls who like to cause offence, unfortunately both are real people.

How can you say that for certain? Do you actually know him ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024