Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the lock down ending too soon? 04:59 - Jul 1 with 126649 viewsGlyn1

That's basically it.

Thoughts please.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2020 5:00]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 15:34 - Jul 5 with 1717 viewsJackSomething

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 14:38 - Jul 5 by bennytheblue

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/education/school-re-opening-wales-coronavirus

I'm not sure what that has to do with my post about childcare during the school holidays, but OK.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 16:27 - Jul 5 with 1662 viewsDJack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 15:05 - Jul 5 by Andy1300

And he isn’t the only GP saying they should be back

Which is fcking ironic as my wife cant get to see her gp and I know that many of my staff cant either.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:41 - Jul 5 with 1613 viewsperplex

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:24 - Jul 4 by controversial_jack

Sweden has a population 7 times less then the UK, and is not really a transport hub like the UK is.If you want to make comparisons with countries that haven't locked down, look at the US and Brazil

Most states in the USA are bigger than England, Brazil is a far more heavily populated as well and is a filthy country with a very poor health care system, maybe you should avoid making comparisons, at the end of the day Sweden did not lock down and out of a population of 12 mill or so have had only 5000 deaths and have saved a lot more than 5000 lives by continuing there health care as normal now like you I am no expert but am just going by the facts.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:45 - Jul 5 with 1611 viewsperplex

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 00:13 - Jul 5 by lifelong

Only 5000 deaths?

You’ll be saying next that the UK only had about 60,000 deaths, how many of those lives do you think could have been saved if we had locked down earlier?

You still do not get it do you, they have saved an immense more amount of lives than 5000 because they did not lock down and continued normal medical care for everything else, how can u possibly not understand that.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:48 - Jul 5 with 1602 viewsbennytheblue

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:41 - Jul 5 by perplex

Most states in the USA are bigger than England, Brazil is a far more heavily populated as well and is a filthy country with a very poor health care system, maybe you should avoid making comparisons, at the end of the day Sweden did not lock down and out of a population of 12 mill or so have had only 5000 deaths and have saved a lot more than 5000 lives by continuing there health care as normal now like you I am no expert but am just going by the facts.

They also probably have far more herd immunity there than say Norway. It’s looked at as a dirty term here almost but Herd immunity is the only way we can achieve resistance. You achieve this by exposure to the virus or a vaccine. We can’t hide forever. A vaccine may be years away.
I think this should now be a matter of personal choice. You make your own choice and assess risks. This is what we used to do before lockdown.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:56 - Jul 5 with 1581 viewsJack123

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:48 - Jul 5 by bennytheblue

They also probably have far more herd immunity there than say Norway. It’s looked at as a dirty term here almost but Herd immunity is the only way we can achieve resistance. You achieve this by exposure to the virus or a vaccine. We can’t hide forever. A vaccine may be years away.
I think this should now be a matter of personal choice. You make your own choice and assess risks. This is what we used to do before lockdown.

Talking of herd immunity, it will be interesting in a few weeks time, to see if the new cases rise once the pubs re-open in Wales, I can imagine Wind Street, being similar to the pictures I have seen today of soho.

libera nos a malo

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:00 - Jul 5 with 1569 viewswaynekerr55

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:45 - Jul 5 by perplex

You still do not get it do you, they have saved an immense more amount of lives than 5000 because they did not lock down and continued normal medical care for everything else, how can u possibly not understand that.

Thats something that none of us can say for sure either way; what was unforgivable was not acting quicker, not ramping up testing & tracing and using the pandemic to line the pockets of Cummings' cronies when open source apps existed.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:02 - Jul 5 with 1567 viewslifelong

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:45 - Jul 5 by perplex

How many lives would we have saved if we had locked down earlier?

I mentioned Vietnam in another thread, they have a population of 100 million, they had their first case of Covid 19 in February, they instantly locked down and launched a well practised trace and isolate program. They have had no deaths and just over 300 reported cases.
Login to get fewer ads

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:11 - Jul 5 with 1551 viewsbennytheblue

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:02 - Jul 5 by lifelong

How many lives would we have saved if we had locked down earlier?

I mentioned Vietnam in another thread, they have a population of 100 million, they had their first case of Covid 19 in February, they instantly locked down and launched a well practised trace and isolate program. They have had no deaths and just over 300 reported cases.

How do you explain Japan then? I read a report saying they think countries like Japan, possibly s korea, Vietnam Thailand might well have had a strain of this before so they already had some sort of herd immunity.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:16 - Jul 5 with 1545 viewswaynekerr55

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:11 - Jul 5 by bennytheblue

How do you explain Japan then? I read a report saying they think countries like Japan, possibly s korea, Vietnam Thailand might well have had a strain of this before so they already had some sort of herd immunity.

How do we know it's herd immunity though?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:09 - Jul 5 with 1507 viewsbennytheblue

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:16 - Jul 5 by waynekerr55

How do we know it's herd immunity though?

We don’t but those in the know think it must be the reason, Japan has lots of Chinese visitors also and the oldest population in the world.

Coronavirus: Japan's mysteriously low virus death rate https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53188847
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:49 - Jul 5 with 1438 viewscontroversial_jack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:41 - Jul 5 by perplex

None of the states in the US have a population as large as England has. Sweden has a population of about 10 million, compared to the Uk of 68 million.Sweden has done far worse than any other Scandinavian country or of comparable population except Belgium.

You are correct about Brazil, having a population in excess of 200 million.They have extreme poverty in parts of the cities who are living in Favellas and are being ravaged by the virus, but those who have money can isolate themselves away from it.

Brazil, has a right wing covid denying nut of a president who has resisted any attempt to shut the economy down and the population is now paying the price for it.

Countries that have had strict measures have fared much better than those who haven't.Unfortunately we are not one of those
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 07:43 - Jul 6 with 1376 viewsbennytheblue

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:49 - Jul 5 by controversial_jack

None of the states in the US have a population as large as England has. Sweden has a population of about 10 million, compared to the Uk of 68 million.Sweden has done far worse than any other Scandinavian country or of comparable population except Belgium.

You are correct about Brazil, having a population in excess of 200 million.They have extreme poverty in parts of the cities who are living in Favellas and are being ravaged by the virus, but those who have money can isolate themselves away from it.

Brazil, has a right wing covid denying nut of a president who has resisted any attempt to shut the economy down and the population is now paying the price for it.

Countries that have had strict measures have fared much better than those who haven't.Unfortunately we are not one of those

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/05/anthony-costello-world-health-orga

This guy talks a lot of sense
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:14 - Jul 6 with 1361 viewsDr_Winston

If it's true that Covid disproportionately affects those of South Asian descent worse than other ethnic groups, then the relatively low South Asian population of Japan (a notoriously homogeneous Nation) may be a factor.

Or indeed any other group. Japan is over 97% Japanese ethnicity. If there are genetic factors in play (which there would appear to be) then it might not even take herd immunity. Those of SE Asian descent just could be naturally less susceptible. Might explain the lower than expected mortality figures in China and elsewhere in the region, although no doubt there's still been a bit of cheating in the PRC.

People are going to be studying this for decades.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:33 - Jul 6 with 1326 viewscontroversial_jack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 07:43 - Jul 6 by bennytheblue

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/05/anthony-costello-world-health-orga

This guy talks a lot of sense

Yes he does, it's very interesting and damning of this govt.The only thing he got wrong , was stating herd immunity only applied to vaccination.Herd immunity is natural immunity.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:57 - Jul 6 with 1312 viewsbennytheblue

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:33 - Jul 6 by controversial_jack

Yes he does, it's very interesting and damning of this govt.The only thing he got wrong , was stating herd immunity only applied to vaccination.Herd immunity is natural immunity.

And this bit....

You could also argue the problem was Sage. In early February, they should have known that this was a pandemic that was coming and the first thing you would want to do was test — and they had a test. Why didn’t they go to the 44 molecular biology laboratories around the country that were all geared up to do this? There was no public health person on Sage. No one who was independent who could say: “Come on guys, this is what you’ve got to do.”

Why didn’t they sort it?
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 14:24 - Jul 6 with 1272 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:57 - Jul 6 by bennytheblue

And this bit....

You could also argue the problem was Sage. In early February, they should have known that this was a pandemic that was coming and the first thing you would want to do was test — and they had a test. Why didn’t they go to the 44 molecular biology laboratories around the country that were all geared up to do this? There was no public health person on Sage. No one who was independent who could say: “Come on guys, this is what you’ve got to do.”

Why didn’t they sort it?

Absolutely fantastic news today. No new deaths and single figures in new cases. only 1 case from Pemcoed to Pembroke and Swansea to Welshpool.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 14:46 - Jul 6 with 1258 viewsEbo

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 14:24 - Jul 6 by exhmrc1

Absolutely fantastic news today. No new deaths and single figures in new cases. only 1 case from Pemcoed to Pembroke and Swansea to Welshpool.

Well done Welsh Government. 5 mile rule clearly working.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 14:47 - Jul 6 with 1258 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 14:24 - Jul 6 by exhmrc1

Not only that but retrospectively there no actual death occured on June 18th or so far dated 3rd, 4th or 5th July. Excellent news.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 14:52 - Jul 6 with 1256 viewsProfessor

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:57 - Jul 6 by bennytheblue

And this bit....

Why didn’t they sort it?

No the job of SAGE-they just advise. It was a government decision as was to move towards privatised testing. As I said back in March my lab could have done this locally. As it is some of the equipment and people in MK are from us.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 14:56 - Jul 6 with 1246 viewsraynor94

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 14:46 - Jul 6 by Ebo

You don't honestly believe people are obeying the 5 mile rule

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 14:59 - Jul 6 with 1246 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 14:46 - Jul 6 by Ebo

Or it demonstrates that local lockdowns would have worked whilst the rest of the country had some freedom.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 15:09 - Jul 6 with 1240 viewsGwyn737

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:04 - Jul 5 by Andy1300

Some of those people clearly did, some don’t want to go back, look at teachers, then again, they are on full pay. The militant unions are a disgrace and have caused problems for this generation of school children.

Not sure why you're laying the blame at teachers and and the unions door.

In my schools (in England) we've had around 60% of children in school full time since June 1st. This was exactly what was requested by government.

Prior to this, schools were open to vulnerable children and the children of key workers from the 23rd of March. In this county there has been no use of 'hubs'. Individual schools have all been open for children, including through the Easter break (open Good Friday and Easter Monday) and the May half term (including the spring bank holiday). We also opened on the Early May Bank holiday. Again this was exactly what we were asked to do.

I've not had a day out of school since the 21st of Feb. I don't want thanks for it - I'm glad to do it but the idea that it's unions and teachers that have impacted on timeframes in wrong.

It's a shame that some have had negative experiences from the school closures but it's down to individual schools, not some grand plan.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 15:13 - Jul 6 with 1236 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 14:59 - Jul 6 by Scotia

Or it demonstrates that local lockdowns would have worked whilst the rest of the country had some freedom.

The stay local rule has certainly helped. As I have said on many occasions the 5 mile thing was guidance and never an actual rule as Drakeford said at the time but people ignored. As far as people ignoring it that is the case for all rules. Do people stick to speeding limits. Do people park where they shouldnt. Do people drink after hours.

Most have followed the stay local advice and we are reaping the benefits. However the figures will increase tomorrow and Wednesday as they always do and there will continue to be some deaths over the next month or so due to the numbers in hospital and in critical care.

However what is unmistakeable is the downward trend and this has been the case for weeks. Nearly everyday has been a reduction on the same day of the previous week and lately has been clouded by the figures in the 3 factories which have made the figures higher.

It is good news whatever anyone thinks and credit should go to Drakeford and co.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 15:41 - Jul 6 with 1217 viewsEbo

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 14:56 - Jul 6 by raynor94

You don't honestly believe people are obeying the 5 mile rule

The majority of people have. I certainly have anyway. You just don’t like being proven wrong. A bit like the Brexit kool-aid that poisoned you.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024