Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the lock down ending too soon? 04:59 - Jul 1 with 127063 viewsGlyn1

That's basically it.

Thoughts please.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2020 5:00]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:26 - Aug 1 with 1531 viewsKilkennyjack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:36 - Aug 1 by A_Fans_Dad

"It was already here in enough numbers to seed community transmission anyway. Well before we could have shut the borders. "
With an organised prepared government and NHS that was the ideal time to shut the borders, including the Channel tunnel and Ferries.
It would have allowed those prepared people to carry out Test, Track & Trace on the few cases that were already here, like those countries already familiar with pandemics.
But as we know this government and the NHS were totally unprepared and Herd Immunity as quickly as possible was the option they chose, allowing every tom, dick & harry in from anywhere in the world without any kind of proper Quarantine.
Stop making excuses for an absolutley crap system that has got it wrong at every step of the way.

Very true.

Beware of the Risen People

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:24 - Aug 1 with 1493 viewsCatullus

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 12:35 - Aug 1 by exhmrc1

It certainly wasn't wrong to use caution and have steadfastly supported Drakeford over that. There is a vast difference in cases in England and the vast majority of Wales and things therefore need to be treated differently. As an example all the deaths recently have occurred in Betsi Cadwalladr Health Board as have most of the new cases and they have largely been in Wrexham and the surrounding counties of Flintshire, Denbighshire and Powys..

The rest of Wales has extremely low numbers of new cases. Just as an example Swansea Bay had 72 cases in one day back in April and has had 3 cases in the last 4 days and other areas in South Wales have been similar. Cardiff and the Vale has had 3, Hywel Dda 3, Cwm Taf 4 Powys 1 and Aneurin Bevan 7 which is largely attributable to the factory in Ebbw Vale. That is 21 cases across most of Wales in 4 days. The figures here are not rising like they are in England.

There is a clear need to sort out the position in North East Wales around Wrexham but these low numbers have been achieved without the use of masks and as long as they remain at those low levels I dont see the need for masks generally. I also believe if you do bring in masks then it needs to be across the board and not just shops as I said previously.

I do have serious concerns that the virus may come back here through people coming across the bridge or having been abroad and this is especially so in North Wales with day trippers or holidaymakers travelling there from heavily infected areas. This is also a worry for people in Cornwall who are reported today to be afraid of going to shops due to the numbers using beaches there.

Your last patagtaph is the big problem. People are stupid. A lot of people seem to think rules apply only to other people. Then amongst them you have people who seem to think they are immune to this virus, that they can't or wont catch it.

Never mind Covid, we need a vaccine for stupidity.

I've had to go to shops recently, had to go to a chemist and what I see is people who are more hacked of at their life being disrupted than at the thought that they might catch a virus and die or take that virus home and kill a relative.

The generation that lived through WW2, we call them the greatest generation. They'd be laughing at us. They lived through 6 years of war and of privations we've never faced, then even when the war ended they still had rationing and other privatiuons. People today can't even cope with staying 2 metres away and moan at the thought of wearing a face mask. It'd be laughable if it wasn't so sad.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:59 - Aug 1 with 1483 viewsmajorraglan

Interesting article in the Washington Post in excess deaths, I came across it while looking for something else.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/excess-deaths-coronavirus-europe-england/20
[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 23:59]
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 07:11 - Aug 2 with 1434 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:24 - Aug 1 by Catullus

Your last patagtaph is the big problem. People are stupid. A lot of people seem to think rules apply only to other people. Then amongst them you have people who seem to think they are immune to this virus, that they can't or wont catch it.

Never mind Covid, we need a vaccine for stupidity.

I've had to go to shops recently, had to go to a chemist and what I see is people who are more hacked of at their life being disrupted than at the thought that they might catch a virus and die or take that virus home and kill a relative.

The generation that lived through WW2, we call them the greatest generation. They'd be laughing at us. They lived through 6 years of war and of privations we've never faced, then even when the war ended they still had rationing and other privatiuons. People today can't even cope with staying 2 metres away and moan at the thought of wearing a face mask. It'd be laughable if it wasn't so sad.

I agree with all of that but the figures are so low in nearly all of Wales at the moment I The jury is still out on the changes made week and I dont think masks are necessary whilst we have such low figures. We have gone from 391 in a day to an average of around 20 and that is mostly made up of cases in and around Wrexham. Every day in the last 5 there has been single figures and an average of 5 per day in all of Wales except the Wrexham area. This drop has occurred without masks and the figures are still reducing. Whether we actually get to 0 cases nobody knows but we are close to it and I just dont see the need for masks at these rates.

What we dont know is how the opening of pubs and things like gyms will affect our figures. Certainly all the changes to lockdown so far hasnt impacted. Opening non essential shops, schools, hairdressers, pubs, cafes and restaurants outdoors happened weeks ago and the figures have kept reducing The jury is still out on the changes made week last Monday but the evidence suggests so far they havent caused a spike.

The opening of pubs etc indoors tomorrow is a bigger risk. I am less concerned about things like cafes and restaurants where people are basically sitting down but places like Wind Street are a concern. The one place that I do think masks and gloves will be useful would be in gyms where equipment is shared and people are breathing heavier and hence more likely to spread the virus.

It appears that in Manchester the spread happened in pubs with youngsters not socially distancing and that is a worry here. However we are entering with far lower figures than when Johnson irresponsibly opened them in England and hopefully the impact will be less because of that.

The other issue is that people see masks as a precaution when the best one is social distancing and people with masks become blasé thinking that I have a mask so ignore social distancing rules.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 07:49 - Aug 2 with 1416 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 07:11 - Aug 2 by exhmrc1

I agree with all of that but the figures are so low in nearly all of Wales at the moment I The jury is still out on the changes made week and I dont think masks are necessary whilst we have such low figures. We have gone from 391 in a day to an average of around 20 and that is mostly made up of cases in and around Wrexham. Every day in the last 5 there has been single figures and an average of 5 per day in all of Wales except the Wrexham area. This drop has occurred without masks and the figures are still reducing. Whether we actually get to 0 cases nobody knows but we are close to it and I just dont see the need for masks at these rates.

What we dont know is how the opening of pubs and things like gyms will affect our figures. Certainly all the changes to lockdown so far hasnt impacted. Opening non essential shops, schools, hairdressers, pubs, cafes and restaurants outdoors happened weeks ago and the figures have kept reducing The jury is still out on the changes made week last Monday but the evidence suggests so far they havent caused a spike.

The opening of pubs etc indoors tomorrow is a bigger risk. I am less concerned about things like cafes and restaurants where people are basically sitting down but places like Wind Street are a concern. The one place that I do think masks and gloves will be useful would be in gyms where equipment is shared and people are breathing heavier and hence more likely to spread the virus.

It appears that in Manchester the spread happened in pubs with youngsters not socially distancing and that is a worry here. However we are entering with far lower figures than when Johnson irresponsibly opened them in England and hopefully the impact will be less because of that.

The other issue is that people see masks as a precaution when the best one is social distancing and people with masks become blasé thinking that I have a mask so ignore social distancing rules.

A significant problem is that the pubs opening tomorrow have had no guidance from Welsh government as to the measures they need to put in place. I find that unbelievable.

They don't know if they are opening with social distancing of 1 metre plus as in England or 2 metres, they don't know if they have a revised capacity or any other measures whatsoever, as far as they are concerned it could be business as usual. We've had long enough for a clear message to be delivered but nothing has happened, we could have set an example but missed the opportunity.

My local pub has had a lot of phone calls trying to book and take advantage of the "eat out to help out" scheme but have only been able to take limited bookings as they have had to assume they are required to distance tables by 2 metres. The only guidance is what they have seen in the media, which says it can be relaxed if social distancing is not possible.

Having said that, there seems to be no enforcement anyway so perhaps they can just crack on? Looking at SA1 on the weekend and my local beer garden for the football on Tuesday some places will just try to cash in regardless.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 8:51]
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:32 - Aug 2 with 1405 viewsKilkennyjack

👏👏👏

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:12 - Aug 2 with 1395 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:32 - Aug 2 by Kilkennyjack

👏👏👏

And nearly all the deaths in the 2nd half of July have come in Betsi Cadwalladr Health Board in North Wales largely in and around Wrexham
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:31 - Aug 2 with 1330 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:32 - Aug 2 by Kilkennyjack

👏👏👏

7 times more deaths in Wales than Scotland with half the Scottish population. Wales is hardly a shinning success in it's handling of coronavirus.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Login to get fewer ads

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:44 - Aug 2 with 1341 viewsonehunglow

What lockdown?

People flouting it with no problems wit authoritie shitscrared to confront.

Mask in shops mandatory.Just do me a favour.For some they wont .They dont feel like it.

As for challenging,why not no mask-no ale.

They would challenge a 11 yr old trying to buy a bottle whisky or fags or stanley knife blades or 4 packs of paracetamol. Why not challenge;its disgusting Police wont do this.

If Boris passes a law or regulations or stipulates something is mandatory,then police it or simply do not insult our intelligence by referring to it a mandatory. It is not-for some.It should.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:57 - Aug 2 with 1337 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:44 - Aug 2 by onehunglow

What lockdown?

People flouting it with no problems wit authoritie shitscrared to confront.

Mask in shops mandatory.Just do me a favour.For some they wont .They dont feel like it.

As for challenging,why not no mask-no ale.

They would challenge a 11 yr old trying to buy a bottle whisky or fags or stanley knife blades or 4 packs of paracetamol. Why not challenge;its disgusting Police wont do this.

If Boris passes a law or regulations or stipulates something is mandatory,then police it or simply do not insult our intelligence by referring to it a mandatory. It is not-for some.It should.

The use of masks isnt compulsory in Wales only England. I agree though it is pointless having a law if it isnt enforced. There simply isnt a need for it here at the moment. Of the 16 local authorities in Mid and South Wales only 2 increased the new cases here and then by 2 each. All the others the new cases decreased or stayed the same between 23 and 29 July and that is without masks being widely used.

The last 7 days have shown7 new cases in Swansea Bay Health Board, 4 in Powys,7 in Hywel Dda, 12 in Cardiff and the Vale, 14 in Cwm Taf and 13 in Aneurin Bevan ie 57 in 7 days throughout all South and Mid Wales.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:13 - Aug 2 with 1321 viewslondonlisa2001

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:57 - Aug 2 by exhmrc1

The use of masks isnt compulsory in Wales only England. I agree though it is pointless having a law if it isnt enforced. There simply isnt a need for it here at the moment. Of the 16 local authorities in Mid and South Wales only 2 increased the new cases here and then by 2 each. All the others the new cases decreased or stayed the same between 23 and 29 July and that is without masks being widely used.

The last 7 days have shown7 new cases in Swansea Bay Health Board, 4 in Powys,7 in Hywel Dda, 12 in Cardiff and the Vale, 14 in Cwm Taf and 13 in Aneurin Bevan ie 57 in 7 days throughout all South and Mid Wales.

There have been 174 cases in Wales in the last 7 days (as at yesterday).

Leaving out the area of Wales with the highest figures is the equivalent of quoting the English figures ignoring the North West and Yorkshire.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:31 - Aug 2 with 1302 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:31 - Aug 2 by felixstowe_jack

7 times more deaths in Wales than Scotland with half the Scottish population. Wales is hardly a shinning success in it's handling of coronavirus.

That also includes the "flawed" way England include anyone who has ever tested positive for covid in their figures whereas the other home nations only include a positive test in the last 28 days.

Wales has absolutely nothing to be proud of and there shouldn't be any points scored over dead people.

Kilk and exhmrc are of such a single mind they dislike anyone who doesn't detest the English and would do even if they gave them a kidney.

How anyone can find a single reason to think Drakeford has done a good job is beyond me. I read today he is living in a shed to protect his wife and mother in law, that certainly explains where his head is.

His decisions have been absolutely all over the place. Pubs in Wrexham can open tomorrow despite having a clear local outbreak. People can go to shops there without wearing a mask. There has barely been a case in Swansea this month and we have exactly the same restrictions. Crazy.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:35 - Aug 2 with 1302 viewsonehunglow

Wales could well introduce compulsory mask wearing which is a fair practice.
Guaranteed the same attitude of some will prevail,Welsh or English.No dfference between us,none at all.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:38 - Aug 2 with 1296 viewsmajorraglan

Sadly, 3 more deaths reported today, all in the Betsi Cadwalladr Health Board area.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:32 - Aug 2 with 1281 viewsCatullus

I see your point but what worries me is that we haven't had widespread testing so we quite literally have no idea how many people might be carrying this virus. There is still a lot the experts seem unsure about. So I'll use caution. I'll wear the mask AND try to stay 2 metres away. I won't be going to a pub or eating out (apart froma BBQ in the back garden on a sunny day but without guests!) and I'll [lay the long game.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:06 - Aug 2 with 1258 viewsKilkennyjack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:31 - Aug 2 by Scotia

That also includes the "flawed" way England include anyone who has ever tested positive for covid in their figures whereas the other home nations only include a positive test in the last 28 days.

Wales has absolutely nothing to be proud of and there shouldn't be any points scored over dead people.

Kilk and exhmrc are of such a single mind they dislike anyone who doesn't detest the English and would do even if they gave them a kidney.

How anyone can find a single reason to think Drakeford has done a good job is beyond me. I read today he is living in a shed to protect his wife and mother in law, that certainly explains where his head is.

His decisions have been absolutely all over the place. Pubs in Wrexham can open tomorrow despite having a clear local outbreak. People can go to shops there without wearing a mask. There has barely been a case in Swansea this month and we have exactly the same restrictions. Crazy.

So just so we understand correctly, the leader Johnson who ....

Stuck his mate Dom into SAGE to bully scientists into herd immunity whilst the result of the civilised world went lockdown early and hard
Shook hands, caught covid and nearly died
Ignored Pandemic planning recommendations
Skipped 5 - yes 5 - COBRA meetings
Sent untested elderly into care homes
Had a world beating app, that does not even work
Failed the NHS on PPE kit
Took test kits off Wales
Lied about 100,000 tests per day
Opted out of Euro procurements for Brexit reasons
Worst death record in Europe
Spend millions on sub standard unusablePPE kit
Built Nightingale hospitals that never got used
Crashed the economy
Failed to check people arriving into UK
Ventilator scheme with Dyson failed
Used a Last Gasp ‘joke’
Lied and lied at PMQs

If we mention this we are ....anti English ??
Don't be a damned fool man.
Anti Westminster maybe ....

Whereas Professir Drakeford has clearly done his best to keep the people in Wales safe.
Drakers cares, Johnson lies.
Thats what people can see.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:10 - Aug 2 with 1256 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:32 - Aug 2 by Catullus

I see your point but what worries me is that we haven't had widespread testing so we quite literally have no idea how many people might be carrying this virus. There is still a lot the experts seem unsure about. So I'll use caution. I'll wear the mask AND try to stay 2 metres away. I won't be going to a pub or eating out (apart froma BBQ in the back garden on a sunny day but without guests!) and I'll [lay the long game.

I am very worried about going out to pubs like you. I suspect cafes restaurants and out of town pubs selling food wont prove a problem as people will be sitting on tables with their own families. The real problem comes with traditional village pubs and especially places like Wind Street where social distancing wont happen.

I have read Hogarth's are only allowing in 190 when their capacity is normally 1000. A friend of mine stayed on Wind Street last weekend. He went out of the Cross Keys as it was too busy and ended up outside another bar instead. That is the major concern although the current evidence is that the figures havent hugely increased and if our numbers continue to decrease maybe by next week there wont be a major problem.

I am far more comfortable with Drakeford's cautious approach than Johnson's gung ho policy that he is now being being forced to change. However opening pubs in England appears to have led to an increase and we can only hope the same thing doesnt happen here..
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:24 - Aug 2 with 1251 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:06 - Aug 2 by Kilkennyjack

So just so we understand correctly, the leader Johnson who ....

Stuck his mate Dom into SAGE to bully scientists into herd immunity whilst the result of the civilised world went lockdown early and hard
Shook hands, caught covid and nearly died
Ignored Pandemic planning recommendations
Skipped 5 - yes 5 - COBRA meetings
Sent untested elderly into care homes
Had a world beating app, that does not even work
Failed the NHS on PPE kit
Took test kits off Wales
Lied about 100,000 tests per day
Opted out of Euro procurements for Brexit reasons
Worst death record in Europe
Spend millions on sub standard unusablePPE kit
Built Nightingale hospitals that never got used
Crashed the economy
Failed to check people arriving into UK
Ventilator scheme with Dyson failed
Used a Last Gasp ‘joke’
Lied and lied at PMQs

If we mention this we are ....anti English ??
Don't be a damned fool man.
Anti Westminster maybe ....

Whereas Professir Drakeford has clearly done his best to keep the people in Wales safe.
Drakers cares, Johnson lies.
Thats what people can see.

Johnson is a useless buffoon. Drakeford is a useless non entity.

Do you really think those July death figures show that Drakeford has done his best? If he has it isn't good enough.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:30 - Aug 2 with 1249 viewsCatullus

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:10 - Aug 2 by exhmrc1

I am very worried about going out to pubs like you. I suspect cafes restaurants and out of town pubs selling food wont prove a problem as people will be sitting on tables with their own families. The real problem comes with traditional village pubs and especially places like Wind Street where social distancing wont happen.

I have read Hogarth's are only allowing in 190 when their capacity is normally 1000. A friend of mine stayed on Wind Street last weekend. He went out of the Cross Keys as it was too busy and ended up outside another bar instead. That is the major concern although the current evidence is that the figures havent hugely increased and if our numbers continue to decrease maybe by next week there wont be a major problem.

I am far more comfortable with Drakeford's cautious approach than Johnson's gung ho policy that he is now being being forced to change. However opening pubs in England appears to have led to an increase and we can only hope the same thing doesnt happen here..

The problem with pubs, as we have already seen (and many of us certainly suspected) is that once you add alcohol any notion of sticking to the rules starts to fade away, the morealcohol you add the less the rules are followed. That's bad enough but I already see plenty of sober young people completely ignoring the distancing rule.

Liz Saville-Roberts was complaining that we'll get English 'incursions' in North Wales because Wales has relaxed it's rules and the North of England is going the other way.

It's not like this virus is going to go away until we have a relaible vaccine. If people choose to be stupid it'd be Ok if it was only themselves they were risking, but it's not.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:37 - Aug 2 with 1247 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:10 - Aug 2 by exhmrc1

It's all about you isn't it?

I am certain that opening the economy and moving to a more normal life will lead to an increase in cases. It is managing that increase that is important.

To help this some guidance from government would be nice. For example my sister in law works in a social club in Swansea opening tomorrow, they are acting responsibly and have assumed a 2 metre social distancing rule will apply because they have had no guidance otherwise. Their capacity is now 30 reduced from nearly 200, to facilitate this they have reduced to 2 draught beers and increased bottle prices to £4 from £3.20. Of course this could be unnecessary if they were to follow the English rules but they don't know what rules they need to follow.

Similar will apply to Wind street and the problems you mention. At the moment next weekend will be like the weekend before Christmas on wind Street because there is no guidance and less responsible places will take advantage. We've had long enough to get a strong policy in place but don't seem to have done anything .
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 7:01]
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 07:51 - Aug 3 with 1163 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:37 - Aug 2 by Scotia

It's all about you isn't it?

I am certain that opening the economy and moving to a more normal life will lead to an increase in cases. It is managing that increase that is important.

To help this some guidance from government would be nice. For example my sister in law works in a social club in Swansea opening tomorrow, they are acting responsibly and have assumed a 2 metre social distancing rule will apply because they have had no guidance otherwise. Their capacity is now 30 reduced from nearly 200, to facilitate this they have reduced to 2 draught beers and increased bottle prices to £4 from £3.20. Of course this could be unnecessary if they were to follow the English rules but they don't know what rules they need to follow.

Similar will apply to Wind street and the problems you mention. At the moment next weekend will be like the weekend before Christmas on wind Street because there is no guidance and less responsible places will take advantage. We've had long enough to get a strong policy in place but don't seem to have done anything .
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 7:01]

Your second paragraph really sums up our differences. I believe in saving lives. You are happy to see more people have coronavirus and hence more deaths. It isnt about me. I believe in saving lives and you dont.

You want us to follow the same rules as England. You mean the ones that are so successful there that they have had to put future plans on hold. The lack of social distancing in England is the reason for the spike there. Dont believe me. Those are Matt Hancock's words. The real irony in all of this is as it stands you will be able to go to your gym indoors in Wales earlier than in England with lower cases than there are in England.

The risk of an increase when pubs reopen is a very real and worrying one here. Whilst I suspect people going to restaurants and cafes here wont create a spike pubs might well do so. There is a huge difference to people going to pubs and having meals there with their family on the same table to the kind of lack of social distancing that has been happening in England. If people go back to sitting together with old friends the risks increase. If pubs allow multitudes in then the risks increase massively. The only saving grace might be that with our low levels the amount of transmission might be smaller. Even in Scotland with their low figures there has been a pub in Aberdeen which has 13 cases.

Fortunately our strict policies are working here. The current rate of the R is lowest in Wales even with the problems in North Wales. The figures for 23 to 29 July show that only 2 of the 16 local authorities in South and Mid Wales has had more new cases than the previous week. All the others have decreased or stayed the same. The 2 that have increased Carmarthenshire and Newport had 2 more cases.

The figures show that all of Wales local authorities other than those in North East Wales has 4 or less cases per 100,000 population. Compare this to London when nearly everyone is higher than this. Swansea has 2 against Westminster's 7, Neath Port Talbot 1 against Hammersmith and Fulham 6 and Carmarthenshire 3 as against Kensington and Chelsea 7.

The English government are considering bringing in stricter rules for London anywhere within the M25. Their scientists and chief medical adviser are saying there is no room for further openings there and there will have to be trade offs there including closing pubs so they can open schools.

That is the reality that is faced. We may or may not find ourselves in that position after opening our pubs today. Only time will tell and we wont know for 2 or more weeks. However going in with lower figures rather than higher figures Johnson opened up with gives us a better chance of preventing that happening.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 8:29]
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 12:23 - Aug 3 with 1102 viewslondonlisa2001

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 07:51 - Aug 3 by exhmrc1

Your second paragraph really sums up our differences. I believe in saving lives. You are happy to see more people have coronavirus and hence more deaths. It isnt about me. I believe in saving lives and you dont.

You want us to follow the same rules as England. You mean the ones that are so successful there that they have had to put future plans on hold. The lack of social distancing in England is the reason for the spike there. Dont believe me. Those are Matt Hancock's words. The real irony in all of this is as it stands you will be able to go to your gym indoors in Wales earlier than in England with lower cases than there are in England.

The risk of an increase when pubs reopen is a very real and worrying one here. Whilst I suspect people going to restaurants and cafes here wont create a spike pubs might well do so. There is a huge difference to people going to pubs and having meals there with their family on the same table to the kind of lack of social distancing that has been happening in England. If people go back to sitting together with old friends the risks increase. If pubs allow multitudes in then the risks increase massively. The only saving grace might be that with our low levels the amount of transmission might be smaller. Even in Scotland with their low figures there has been a pub in Aberdeen which has 13 cases.

Fortunately our strict policies are working here. The current rate of the R is lowest in Wales even with the problems in North Wales. The figures for 23 to 29 July show that only 2 of the 16 local authorities in South and Mid Wales has had more new cases than the previous week. All the others have decreased or stayed the same. The 2 that have increased Carmarthenshire and Newport had 2 more cases.

The figures show that all of Wales local authorities other than those in North East Wales has 4 or less cases per 100,000 population. Compare this to London when nearly everyone is higher than this. Swansea has 2 against Westminster's 7, Neath Port Talbot 1 against Hammersmith and Fulham 6 and Carmarthenshire 3 as against Kensington and Chelsea 7.

The English government are considering bringing in stricter rules for London anywhere within the M25. Their scientists and chief medical adviser are saying there is no room for further openings there and there will have to be trade offs there including closing pubs so they can open schools.

That is the reality that is faced. We may or may not find ourselves in that position after opening our pubs today. Only time will tell and we wont know for 2 or more weeks. However going in with lower figures rather than higher figures Johnson opened up with gives us a better chance of preventing that happening.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 8:29]

“ I believe in saving lives. You are happy to see more people have coronavirus and hence more deaths. It isnt about me. I believe in saving lives and you dont. ”

No you don’t. You believe in providing maximum protection to YOUR life at the expense of the majority of society.

You refuse to understand that the economy equals lives and health. Your life is unaffected by the continued shutdown as you will still receive your pension. You don’t give a toss that many people will lose their livelihoods, the health, their homes due to poverty. As you’ll be ok.
This is not a zero sum game. Stop pretending you have the moral high ground when the only thing you care about is yourself.

At what point did ‘flatten the curve’ become ‘destroy every single aspect of our society?’ This is a pandemic. People will, horribly and unfortunately, die. But you cannot sacrifice every life, every business, every shop, every livelihood. The risk to an individual can be managed to a large extent. If you’re in a vulnerable group, shield yourself. Don’t see people. Don’t go to shops, pubs, cafes, cinemas. Wear a mask. Wear gloves. Take hygiene extremely seriously. The risk to younger people is minuscule. Less than the risk of them jumping in a car. Car accidents kills people every week. But we don’t stop people driving and kill everything because there are car accidents. We manage the risk. We accept that life has a risk.

Stop being so unbelievably self centred. No one is happy seeing people have corona virus. But some of us are equally not happy with seeing millions of people in poverty. That’s far worse for their health.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 12:27 - Aug 3 with 1098 viewsAndy1300

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 12:23 - Aug 3 by londonlisa2001

“ I believe in saving lives. You are happy to see more people have coronavirus and hence more deaths. It isnt about me. I believe in saving lives and you dont. ”

No you don’t. You believe in providing maximum protection to YOUR life at the expense of the majority of society.

You refuse to understand that the economy equals lives and health. Your life is unaffected by the continued shutdown as you will still receive your pension. You don’t give a toss that many people will lose their livelihoods, the health, their homes due to poverty. As you’ll be ok.
This is not a zero sum game. Stop pretending you have the moral high ground when the only thing you care about is yourself.

At what point did ‘flatten the curve’ become ‘destroy every single aspect of our society?’ This is a pandemic. People will, horribly and unfortunately, die. But you cannot sacrifice every life, every business, every shop, every livelihood. The risk to an individual can be managed to a large extent. If you’re in a vulnerable group, shield yourself. Don’t see people. Don’t go to shops, pubs, cafes, cinemas. Wear a mask. Wear gloves. Take hygiene extremely seriously. The risk to younger people is minuscule. Less than the risk of them jumping in a car. Car accidents kills people every week. But we don’t stop people driving and kill everything because there are car accidents. We manage the risk. We accept that life has a risk.

Stop being so unbelievably self centred. No one is happy seeing people have corona virus. But some of us are equally not happy with seeing millions of people in poverty. That’s far worse for their health.

This is absolutely spot on.

Well said Lisa!

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 13:33 - Aug 3 with 1072 viewsCatullus

I can't really call it selfish. We each of us has to do what we need to so to survive. Going out and not following rules is even more selfish.

The problem always comes back to money. We all need money, we all have bills. If we are to progress as a race we need to get past money. Surely lives should be more important?

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 13:42 - Aug 3 with 1068 viewspencoedjack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 12:23 - Aug 3 by londonlisa2001

Excellent post.

The same can be said about the Kilkenny who scrounges his giro off the government, makes no difference to his way of life.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024