Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Broadband and new build property 08:17 - Jul 8 with 2218 viewsAguycalledJack

We have just finished a new build. Open reach have been out and the house is live and set up for a telephone and internet supplier. Do I need to register with bt first to get a phone number and ensure the line is live With them before I approach a broadband supplier? We were hoping to use sky and get the tv and internet package. We’ve got a great tv package due to help from a member on this forum but sky say they don’t provide internet to our new address. I’m wondering is this because I need to register with bt first? I’m not into this kind of stuff so any help is appreciated👍

Also, as it appears sky can’t provide the internet who are the best internet suppliers out there? Wife needs a reliable service for work as she Works for the nhs.
Broadband and new build property on 09:16 - Jul 8 with 2180 viewsmajorraglan

We built our place a fair few years ago, pretty sure we went with BT for the first 12 months so we could get everything sorted with relatively little hassle, but these days it should all be the same. There are lots of suppliers these days competing for business, so I would check out customer ratings regarding service because if it goes Pete Tong you’ll need someone tidy.

I am with Plusnet but wouldn’t recommend them at the moment, Customer Service is great but the router we were supplied with drops the signal and it’s a pain in the .... . I recently bought my own router as I am only a third of the way my contract. Where do you live and have you checked what packages are available? Openreach are currently rolling out FTTP (fibre to the phone) which is much faster than the FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) connections most non Virgin customers will have, its more expensive but the speeds they are promising are much faster than anything else around, that’s what I am going for next. If you have a big house, go for a mesh type set up.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2020 18:51]
Broadband and new build property on 09:50 - Jul 8 with 2157 viewsAguycalledJack

Broadband and new build property on 09:16 - Jul 8 by majorraglan

We built our place a fair few years ago, pretty sure we went with BT for the first 12 months so we could get everything sorted with relatively little hassle, but these days it should all be the same. There are lots of suppliers these days competing for business, so I would check out customer ratings regarding service because if it goes Pete Tong you’ll need someone tidy.

I am with Plusnet but wouldn’t recommend them at the moment, Customer Service is great but the router we were supplied with drops the signal and it’s a pain in the .... . I recently bought my own router as I am only a third of the way my contract. Where do you live and have you checked what packages are available? Openreach are currently rolling out FTTP (fibre to the phone) which is much faster than the FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) connections most non Virgin customers will have, its more expensive but the speeds they are promising are much faster than anything else around, that’s what I am going for next. If you have a big house, go for a mesh type set up.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2020 18:51]

Thanks for that. The line to the house is already in place. I think as you say, best to go with bt for phone line and broadband in the first year to try and limit the hassle. Thanks again👍
Broadband and new build property on 10:45 - Jul 8 with 2120 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Broadband and new build property on 09:50 - Jul 8 by AguycalledJack

Thanks for that. The line to the house is already in place. I think as you say, best to go with bt for phone line and broadband in the first year to try and limit the hassle. Thanks again👍

You can get Sky on the BT TV platform.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Broadband and new build property on 11:17 - Jul 8 with 2095 viewsfbreath

If the line is live as you say then it already has a telephone number and dial tone. If this is the case then you already have a contract with someone. If you are not sure take a phone with you and plug it in and check you can dial out.

What I suspect is that BT Openreach have installed the cable from the local distribution box on the roadside to your property.

The reason Sky etc. are saying they cannot deliver service is that they cannot find your address as it is not registered properly yet (common problem with new builds). You will probably have this issue with any on line form where you need to select your address until it is registered properly.

Have you spoken to them directly or tried to do this on line.

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Broadband and new build property on 12:32 - Jul 8 with 2070 viewsAguycalledJack

Broadband and new build property on 11:17 - Jul 8 by fbreath

If the line is live as you say then it already has a telephone number and dial tone. If this is the case then you already have a contract with someone. If you are not sure take a phone with you and plug it in and check you can dial out.

What I suspect is that BT Openreach have installed the cable from the local distribution box on the roadside to your property.

The reason Sky etc. are saying they cannot deliver service is that they cannot find your address as it is not registered properly yet (common problem with new builds). You will probably have this issue with any on line form where you need to select your address until it is registered properly.

Have you spoken to them directly or tried to do this on line.

Placed the order with sky and since this issue has come up spoke to them direct. They say that sky don’t have the facility to provide a Broadband service to the address. Family half a mile up the road have sky internet. At a bit of a loss what to do. I think a conversation with bt is the way forward.
Broadband and new build property on 14:24 - Jul 8 with 2012 viewsfbreath

Broadband and new build property on 12:32 - Jul 8 by AguycalledJack

Placed the order with sky and since this issue has come up spoke to them direct. They say that sky don’t have the facility to provide a Broadband service to the address. Family half a mile up the road have sky internet. At a bit of a loss what to do. I think a conversation with bt is the way forward.

Have a look here against your postcode. Remember to select the speeds you want on the left hand side.

https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Broadband and new build property on 14:27 - Jul 8 with 2011 viewstheloneranger

In December 2016, Sky, depending where you lived, stopped selling broadband (of any type) to customers with a Minimum Access Line Speed (MALS) of 2Mbps or less.

This affected many people living in rural areas etc, stuck on slower, poor quality copper ADSL lines.

Edit ... It also depends how far you are from the telephone exchange, if your supply is all copper.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2020 14:31]

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Broadband and new build property on 17:01 - Jul 8 with 1962 viewsTenbySwan

I know someone who bought a new build from Persimmon and they had to go with BT for the first year
Login to get fewer ads

Broadband and new build property on 20:36 - Jul 8 with 1908 viewsTenbySwan

I know someone who bought a new build from Persimmon and they had to go with BT for the first year
Broadband and new build property on 08:23 - Jul 9 with 1812 viewsAguycalledJack

Broadband and new build property on 20:36 - Jul 8 by TenbySwan

I think that may be because they are contractually obliged to do so if they bought from persimmon.

We’ve decided to go to bt to get the line sorted hopefully without any problems, and then switch to a cheaper provider.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024