Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Matt Scrafton column 10:37 - Jul 19 with 136 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Questions to answer but the return of football crowds would be so welcome

How soon is too soon?

That was the question many of us were asking ourselves following last Friday’s declaration from the prime minister, Boris Johnson.

The PM, in his latest briefing, suggested fans could return to stadiums as early as October should trials prove successful.

This came as welcome news to many fans, already desperate for their football fix, and club owners alike equally desperate to make the books balance.

Playing games behind closed doors has been a means to an end in the top two divisions to complete the remaining fixtures.

But in League One, League Two and below, continuing without fans in attendance has just never been feasible.

With the cash generated from iFollow streams believed to be minimal, it’s been clear for some time now that clubs need fans coming through the turnstiles to make ends meet.

The glaringly obvious question on many of our lips is how many fans will initially be allowed in and how soon?

A starting date of September 12 appears to be the most popular among clubs in the EFL, but that would mean the 2020/21 campaign would have to kick off behind closed doors. To begin with, anyway.

There is simply no desire to see that continue for any extended period of time and club owners and chairmen will be desperately hoping the trials go to plan.

The pilot events, if you’re interested, will be the county cricket match between Surrey and Middlesex on July 26, the World Snooker Championships on July 31 and the Glorious Goodwood horse racing meeting in August.

Should they pass without a hitch, there’s no reason why Blackpool fans can’t return to Bloomfield Road at the beginning of October.

Initially, you’d think clubs would have to work with a reduced capacity — 25 per cent has been mentioned, as has a third.

Would away fans be permitted to attend? Personally, I’d think it unlikely but everything remains up for discussion at this moment.

A chairman of a League One side recently commented how rules and regulations are likely to be club-specific, given the varying set-ups of grounds in the third and fourth tiers.

What might work for one club might not for another, for example.

Should Blackpool sell in the region of 5,500 to 6,000 season tickets, as they did last year, the likelihood is not all of them would be able to attend each home game.

Instead, a rotation system appears likely where fans can attend one week but might have to sit it out the next, to ensure social distancing is followed and adhered to.

Not to worry, if you’re a season ticket holder and you’re told you can’t attend a specific fixture, I’d imagine extra provision will be provided ie. being given free access to the iFollow stream.

I’ve had one or two people getting in touch to ask about next season’s fixtures and when they will be released. As it stands, it’s impossible to say.

Given the Championship is still playing, with the three sides dropping down to the third tier still to be decided, it’s unlikely we’ll hear any news — not for the next week or two anyway.

But clubs are in regular dialogue with the EFL and, fingers crossed, we should hear of further developments regarding the restart date in the not-too-distant future.

Focusing on Blackpool matters, last week saw another twist in the Jerry Yates transfer saga — which already seems to have dragged on for too long!

Of course, the transfer window doesn’t open until July 27, so the reality is there’s no rush to get this one all wrapped up, and I’m sure there will be more twists and turns to come.

Rotherham United boss Paul Warne revealed on Tuesday Blackpool were the only side to have tabled an official bid for the Millers forward, who scored 14 goals on loan with Swindon Town last season to help them clinch the League Two title.

However, Swindon now appear to have retaliated and submitted an offer of their own.

While it’s been reported Swindon’s bid has matched that of Blackpool’s, I’m led to believe the Robins are only able to offer an instalments-based sum based on add-ons.

Blackpool, on the other hand, are able to offer more up front.

Of course it’s up to Rotherham to decide which type of bid they prefer, but they must be delighted to start up an auction for a player they’ve already deemed surplus to requirements.

If it was a straight fight between the two clubs, Yates would probably pick Swindon given his previous emotional attachment.

As it stands, thanks to the might of Simon Sadler, the Seasiders are in a far stronger position financially and still stand every chance — and how good does that sound?

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/matt-scrafton-col

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

The Matt Scrafton column on 19:10 - Jul 19 with 115 viewsspell_chekker

I have nothing new to teach the world. (Mahatma Coaty, 2020)

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

The Matt Scrafton column on 19:22 - Jul 19 with 114 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

The Matt Scrafton column on 19:10 - Jul 19 by spell_chekker

I have nothing new to teach the world. (Mahatma Coaty, 2020)

The only thing I took from that is that Scrafton doesn't really know what is going on.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024