Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trust update. 18:43 - Aug 13 with 2989 viewsexiledclaseboy

It’s a long one.

As our members will be aware, the Trust has recently completed its annual election process and is delighted to announce that Siân Davies, Ceri Stone and Rupert Thomas have been elected to the board for the period of two years.

Our members will also be aware that Andrew Cude and Andrew McGlashan have stepped down from the board at this time. We thank them all for the considerable efforts they have made in representing the fans and looking after the interests of the Trust during their time on the board.

We are also particularly sad to confirm that Trust Chair Phil Sumbler has left the board this summer. Phil has served with distinction on the Trust Board and Chair during two periods that have spanned 15 years, which has coincided with the most extraordinary time to have been a Swans fan. We wish Phil well in his “retirement”, but we’re sure he’ll still be a regular feature on the East Stand when crowds return, if he can tear himself away from Morriston Golf Club or his marathon running!

The “show must go on” though and, at its first meeting, the Trust Board has elected the following members to its officer positions, for a period of two years:

Chair — Andrew Godden
Vice Chair — Dave Dalton
Supporter Director — Stuart McDonald
Associate Director — Cath Dyer

New Trust Chair Andrew Godden said “I have known Phil for a long time and worked with him on the Trust Board for the last six years, serving as his Vice Chair for the last two years. I wish Phil all the best for the future and I am sure he will remain a friend of the Trust in the future. Phil is leaving some very big shoes to fill and I thank the board for the faith they have put in me in taking on the role.

To our members I would like to say that, even though the makeup of the Trust Board has changed, the aims of the Trust have not, which are to ensure the existence of the football club we all love and represent the needs and wishes of our members. Those aims will never change and they become more important than ever due to the financial challenges the club will be facing during the current crisis. We are also mindful of the mandate our members have given us to do all we can to address the wrongs that have resulted from the events surrounding the 2016 sale of our club, and that will progress as quickly as it possibly can.”

Membership Update

Last week, the Trust was delighted to inform our members that, as a thank you for their ongoing support, to recognise the financial challenges many of our members may be facing during this current crisis and to celebrate the Trust moving into its 20th year, we are offering free membership for the 2020/21 season to everyone who joined the Trust during the 2019/20 season. Thank you all for your support!

We’d also like to take this opportunity to thank those members who have made donations to the Trust in lieu of their membership fees, and those fans who usually renew their membership by standing order but have foregone their refund, for their financial contribution to the Trust. It is critical that the Trust maintains its financial reserves in order to fund the numerous causes we support, such as our sponsorships of the Swansea Junior League and Swansea Schools FA, communicating with our members as well as maintaining financial reserves that could protect the club should the worst happen.

The Trust is only as strong as its members and, in order for the Trust to be as strong a voice representing the fans as it can be, we need to do all we can to ensure our membership levels are as healthy as they can be. As we are aware of the financial pressures that many fans wil be facing, we are happy to announce that half-price membership will be available until 31st December. This means that, instead of the usual £10 Adult membership, you would only be charged £5. There are similar reductions for Senior (£2.50) and Junior (£1) membership.

We ask all our members to do all they can to encourage their friends and family to join the Trust so we can strengthen our ability to look after the interests of the fans within our club. Thanks in advance!

Club Update

It was a quite surreal sight on 20th June as the Swans returned to competitive action at a deserted Riverside stadium in Middlesbrough to register a convincing 3-0 victory. Many of us were unsure how football behind closed doors would work but it proved to be more exciting and engaging than many feared. We expect a key reason for this is how the end of the season transpired, and it’s difficult to recall a more exciting one as we overturned a 5 goal deficit (with a little help from Stoke) in the last 30 minutes to overhaul Nottingham Forest for the final playoff place.

Unfortunately our season ended at Griffin Park and the semi-final stage, however we’d like to thank Steve Cooper, his management team and all the players for their considerable efforts in keeping us entertained during these strange times. We’d also like to thank those behind the scenes that made it possible for the club to host and broadcast these events, without whom none of that would have been possible and no fans would have been able to witness events via Swans TV (with accompanied commentary from Wyndham Evans!).

Speaking of Swans TV, we thought it helped the fans immensely during this time to be able to watch all the regular season games live, even if it had to be from home rather than in person. For season ticket holders, this option was available for no extra charge for those who were prepared to forego a season ticket refund. On the issue of season ticket refunds for the 2019/20 season, the Trust held very positive discussions with the management team of the club on this issue, with many of our proposals being adopted, as we sought to protect both the interests of the fans, many of whom may be facing their own financial challenges, and the needs of the club during this time. Given the generally positive feedback from the fans, we believe this shows the significant benefits that can arise when the Trust and the Club work together in a collaborative manner. We know many members are starting to ask questions regarding arrangements for the 2020/21 season and, while we have held some preliminary discussions on this issue already, we will be unable to announce more until later in the month when plans can be finalised.

As we move into the close season and look to the future, we remind our members of our recent statements regarding the financial challenges that our club will face, a situation exacerbated considerably by the global pandemic we are all living under. At the current time the club faces the double whammy of being extremely limited in terms of the income that can be generated whilst also having to bear the additional costs that come with continuing football operations during a pandemic, particularly an expensive testing regime.

Within those circumstances, investment into the club would be beneficial. So, the news announced on Friday that Jake Silverstein had been appointed to the board of directors of our club and had “invested” into our club would be seen as a positive. Unfortunately, not for the first time, there are many areas of concern here. Firstly, whilst the Trust were made aware through our Supporter Director that the majority owners were in discussion with Mr Silverstein, the Trust was not provided the simple courtesy of being informed prior to his appointment being made, any agreement being reached or even the announcement itself. Secondly, there is the nature of this “investment” which is, in effect, a convertible loan which will only become investment if converted into shares at a later date. There is no guarantee that would ever happen.

As the Trust stated last week, we cannot accept any act that seeks to devalue the stake the Swans fans have in our football club. We also cannot accept the basic discourtesy of not ensuring we are properly involved and informed on such important matters. With that in mind, we have initiated contact with the majority owners to discuss this, and the other issues that face our club and the Trust’s shareholding.

Shareholding Dispute Update

As outlined in our previous statement, over the last few months the Trust Board has been working closely with past board members and our legal representatives to prepare the comprehensive and complex information that has been required by our QC as a pre-requisite to initiating the legal proceedings that our members have mandated. This has been an extremely complex and time-consuming task which has taken up many hundreds of hours of the time of Trust board members, both current and past, plus our advisors. The Trust Board would like to put on record our thanks to all those involved in this process for their considerable efforts, which has been performed without any financial reward and purely for their desire to look after the best interests of our Swans Trust.

While we are happy to announce those activities have been completed, we still have a number of steps to conclude before we can action the mandate from our members. These can be summarised into two areas, a) our QC finalising the legal documentation required prior to commencing legal action and b) finalising financial agreements so that the Trust is able to proceed with legal action in a manner that protects the Trust and the interests of our members.

As a Trust Board we are conscious that we have not been able to provide progress updates to our members as often as we would have liked. This is largely because the process does move very slowly, especially so in the current circumstances, but we accept we could have been more proactive, particularly in terms of explaining the likely timelines. We hope the following will address that.

In terms of our outstanding activities, we would expect the required documentation to be finalised in the coming weeks. In terms of those financial agreements, while there have already been positive preliminary discussions, this will again take several further weeks to conclude after the legal documentation has been completed, mainly because any partners will need to perform their own due diligence. It is only right that we highlight that it is possible that each of these steps will take longer than we would wish, largely because in many respects they are out of our hands, however we are doing all we can to progress these actions as quickly as possible.

We understand the frustrations of some members that these activities are taking a considerable period of time, and we share them. We should remember that this is a substantial, and complex, legal undertaking which requires the Trust to act with due care and consideration at each step and unfortunately that takes a lot of time and effort. We hope this update helps provide our members with clarity on the current situation and we will be providing more frequent updates in the coming months, even if we are not able to achieve the progress we wish.

To those members that have asked us whether there has been any attempt by the former shareholders and majority owners to resolve these issues in recent months before legal action commences, the answer is no. As previously, if there is any offer received before we commence legal action, we would of course refer this back to our membership. As stated in our 2019 consultation papers, once legal action is commenced then any decision on settlement would need to be made by the Trust board in conjunction with our partners in that litigation.

Swansea City Supporters' Trust

13th August 2020

Poll: Tory leader

Trust update. on 19:03 - Aug 13 with 2365 viewschad

Thanks ECB will have to consider my position re Ux as I consider his behaviour and subsequent attitude unacceptable and far from conducive to opening up the Trust.

May I ask why you decided to leave and what problems you feel we need to overcome as an organisation.
Trust update. on 19:09 - Aug 13 with 2357 viewsDr_Parnassus

Does anybody actually care anymore? My feelings towards the Trust are of complete and utter apathy these days, and I’m sure I’m not alone there. Dithering, failure and incompetence at every single juncture and has been so for years on end. Just depressing state of affairs.

One huge positive however is that Phil has left. His heart is in the right place and no doubt he loves the Swans but his ego mixed with an extreme lack of ability or foresight held the organisation back for pretty much a decade.

Unfortunately it’s been left in such a state where the unlucky new Chair is coming into an impossible scenario tasked with not only cleaning up the mess left, but coming out with a positive outcome at the end of it. I don’t envy him/her.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Trust update. on 19:17 - Aug 13 with 2335 viewswaynekerr55

Trust update. on 19:09 - Aug 13 by Dr_Parnassus

Does anybody actually care anymore? My feelings towards the Trust are of complete and utter apathy these days, and I’m sure I’m not alone there. Dithering, failure and incompetence at every single juncture and has been so for years on end. Just depressing state of affairs.

One huge positive however is that Phil has left. His heart is in the right place and no doubt he loves the Swans but his ego mixed with an extreme lack of ability or foresight held the organisation back for pretty much a decade.

Unfortunately it’s been left in such a state where the unlucky new Chair is coming into an impossible scenario tasked with not only cleaning up the mess left, but coming out with a positive outcome at the end of it. I don’t envy him/her.

Do expand on how his ego held the organisation back?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Trust update. on 19:33 - Aug 13 with 2321 viewsexiledclaseboy

Trust update. on 19:03 - Aug 13 by chad

Thanks ECB will have to consider my position re Ux as I consider his behaviour and subsequent attitude unacceptable and far from conducive to opening up the Trust.

May I ask why you decided to leave and what problems you feel we need to overcome as an organisation.

I decided to leave purely because I no longer have the time that the commitment needs and deserves. My job changed about a year after I first joined the board and juggling the trust on top of that while trying to maintain a semblance of work/life balance just meant it became too much of a chore.

I wouldn’t look at it in terms of problems but challenges. The main one of course being bringing the legal process to a conclusion, whatever that ends up being. I realise that many members and non-members feel that should be done and dusted by now but having been involved for a few years, things really do move at a glacial pace.

There are frustrations around having to do things “by committee” but that’s just the nature of the beast. Experience tells me that some board members both past and present are in it for the wrong reasons but that’s just a personal view and it’s by no means shared by all.

How the trust evolves over time will obviously largely depend on the legal proceedings and the outcome of that as well as how the club responds to the challenges it’s facing. If you were to ask me what the trust might look like in five years I couldn’t give an answer.

I realise you have a particular view of Ux and I’m not going to get into that with you. My view is that having got to know Andy fairly well over the past few years he’s absolutely the right person for the job. Indeed, given the alternatives I’d have been concerned for the trust had he not been appointed.

Poll: Tory leader

Trust update. on 19:40 - Aug 13 with 2313 viewsDr_Parnassus

Trust update. on 19:17 - Aug 13 by waynekerr55

Do expand on how his ego held the organisation back?

Don’t really want to turn this into a slagging thread but since you asked.

When the chance came round first time to take legal action Phil as leader of the organisation ensured no legal action would be taken by staging what can only be described as an impossibly one sided voting system backed by a damaging recommendation which would sway the % of the members that simply do not understand the proceedings or propositions.

It then was clear to all that it was a huge error of judgement and he was leading the Trust into the brink of destruction. Phil didn’t want that to his name so stepped down commentating from the sidelines as he backed away from his recommendation and put the Trusts direction that he led at arms length.

When that mess had cleared itself up somewhat, largely due to more dithering he came back to the fold completely ignoring the fact it was his errors that got the Trust to that place. Clearly someone else was needed at that time to undo the mess completely but it was clearly ego that drew him back to take the limelight again when history showed he was not qualified for such a position during such a time.

Now I don’t put the blame solely on Phil, but he does need to shoulder a large chunk of it. He was given very little support with the others holding onto their board positions like their life depended on it when they had no business occupying such positions.

Dog wagging the tail Viv being one such example.

The Trust has been stale for a decade, and festering for probably half a decade. Much needed change but it’s way too late to make any sort of real difference. It’s in one hell of a mess and facing one hell of a challenge.

Trust update. on 19:59 - Aug 13 with 2285 viewschad

Trust update. on 19:33 - Aug 13 by exiledclaseboy

I decided to leave purely because I no longer have the time that the commitment needs and deserves. My job changed about a year after I first joined the board and juggling the trust on top of that while trying to maintain a semblance of work/life balance just meant it became too much of a chore.

I wouldn’t look at it in terms of problems but challenges. The main one of course being bringing the legal process to a conclusion, whatever that ends up being. I realise that many members and non-members feel that should be done and dusted by now but having been involved for a few years, things really do move at a glacial pace.

There are frustrations around having to do things “by committee” but that’s just the nature of the beast. Experience tells me that some board members both past and present are in it for the wrong reasons but that’s just a personal view and it’s by no means shared by all.

How the trust evolves over time will obviously largely depend on the legal proceedings and the outcome of that as well as how the club responds to the challenges it’s facing. If you were to ask me what the trust might look like in five years I couldn’t give an answer.

I realise you have a particular view of Ux and I’m not going to get into that with you. My view is that having got to know Andy fairly well over the past few years he’s absolutely the right person for the job. Indeed, given the alternatives I’d have been concerned for the trust had he not been appointed.

Thanks ECB, that was interesting, and thanks for your work with the Trust.

As far as the Chair role I understand it is a difficult role at a difficult time. The rest I will resolve with Ux and the Trust.

All the very best wishes to you and your wife, and keep wearing those masks xx
Trust update. on 20:48 - Aug 13 with 2240 viewsBillyChong

The ‘we cannot accept....’ lines are good to hear, but from the outside it looks as though the trust are powerless in preventing the yanks from continuing to do as they please i.e. take the piss
Trust update. on 21:07 - Aug 13 with 2217 viewsDr_Parnassus

Trust update. on 20:48 - Aug 13 by BillyChong

The ‘we cannot accept....’ lines are good to hear, but from the outside it looks as though the trust are powerless in preventing the yanks from continuing to do as they please i.e. take the piss

Unfortunately that’s all they are... lines.

The worst part of that whole post is the last paragraph where they clearly have learned nothing.

I would be amazed (if ever the Trust do get their house in order) if they are about to press the legal button, and the Americans do not now see that they have a prime delaying tactic as the Trust are yet again making noises to enter back into negotiations (of no doubt another horrific deal) where they would have to put it to yet another vote and take many more months to finalise.

Roadblock after roadblock after roadblock... many of which have been, and continue to be, put there by themselves.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 21:10]

Login to get fewer ads

Trust update. on 21:38 - Aug 13 with 2176 viewsKilkennyjack

Trust update. on 19:09 - Aug 13 by Dr_Parnassus

Dullest post of 2020

Beware of the Risen People

Trust update. on 21:52 - Aug 13 with 2166 viewsDr_Parnassus

Trust update. on 21:38 - Aug 13 by Kilkennyjack

Dullest post of 2020

But probably the most accurate so I can live with that.

Trust update. on 22:23 - Aug 13 with 2125 viewschad

Trust update. on 21:38 - Aug 13 by Kilkennyjack

Dullest post of 2020

Presumably excluding your own ;)
Trust update. on 22:54 - Aug 13 with 2081 viewsAndyCole

Trust is clearly a misnomer. As a proper football fan I have zero trust in it’s ability to represent us fans. Little or no knowledge of the Football Industry, it’s board members on the various forums offer zilch in terms of Football insight; the failure to engage with Birch is shocking.

It seems amateurish at the very best. Total waste of space.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Trust update. on 23:11 - Aug 13 with 2073 viewsswancity

I’m encouraged by the Trust announcement but unconvinced that they will have the desire and balls to follow through the legal action to its natural conclusion

I want to support them and whilst they acknowledge their past mistakes and errors of judgement, it’s incredulous to see that they’re still making the same mistakes eg supporter director attending matches in the directors box.

I do hope that they seize the initiative now and claim what is theirs. They have what could be their last opportunity here to make an impact. It’s last chance saloon time.

Best of luck to them. You sense that their out of their depth but I really hope I’m wrong ...

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Trust update. on 09:14 - Aug 14 with 1964 viewswaynekerr55

Trust update. on 19:40 - Aug 13 by Dr_Parnassus

Don’t really want to turn this into a slagging thread but since you asked.

When the chance came round first time to take legal action Phil as leader of the organisation ensured no legal action would be taken by staging what can only be described as an impossibly one sided voting system backed by a damaging recommendation which would sway the % of the members that simply do not understand the proceedings or propositions.

It then was clear to all that it was a huge error of judgement and he was leading the Trust into the brink of destruction. Phil didn’t want that to his name so stepped down commentating from the sidelines as he backed away from his recommendation and put the Trusts direction that he led at arms length.

When that mess had cleared itself up somewhat, largely due to more dithering he came back to the fold completely ignoring the fact it was his errors that got the Trust to that place. Clearly someone else was needed at that time to undo the mess completely but it was clearly ego that drew him back to take the limelight again when history showed he was not qualified for such a position during such a time.

Now I don’t put the blame solely on Phil, but he does need to shoulder a large chunk of it. He was given very little support with the others holding onto their board positions like their life depended on it when they had no business occupying such positions.

Dog wagging the tail Viv being one such example.

The Trust has been stale for a decade, and festering for probably half a decade. Much needed change but it’s way too late to make any sort of real difference. It’s in one hell of a mess and facing one hell of a challenge.

Perhaps with hindsight we are all geniuses. It's interesting that the biggest critics don't want to get involved and, unsurprisingly, 9 times out of 10 want to be apologists for the actions of the previous sellers, often spreading lies and misinformation

Trust update. on 04:51 - Aug 15 with 1808 viewsDr_Parnassus

Trust update. on 09:14 - Aug 14 by waynekerr55

Perhaps with hindsight we are all geniuses. It's interesting that the biggest critics don't want to get involved and, unsurprisingly, 9 times out of 10 want to be apologists for the actions of the previous sellers, often spreading lies and misinformation

Nothing to do with hindsight, I told them at the time and explained so in great detail, several times.. (as did others).

Are you referring to me with regards to your mistruths and lies comments? I would hope not as neither apply.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2020 4:52]

Trust update. on 11:08 - Aug 15 with 1659 viewswaynekerr55

Trust update. on 04:51 - Aug 15 by Dr_Parnassus

Nothing to do with hindsight, I told them at the time and explained so in great detail, several times.. (as did others).

Are you referring to me with regards to your mistruths and lies comments? I would hope not as neither apply.

Well you stated the trust would only get 5 to 6m quid if they won. That's not true. You seem to be genuine enough

Trust update. on 11:29 - Aug 15 with 1645 viewsDr_Parnassus

Trust update. on 11:08 - Aug 15 by waynekerr55

Well you stated the trust would only get 5 to 6m quid if they won. That's not true. You seem to be genuine enough

We have no idea what they would get. It depends on the extent of the fees, they will be astronomical though without doubt.

Trust update. on 11:56 - Aug 15 with 1628 viewsBest_loser

Trust update. on 04:51 - Aug 15 by Dr_Parnassus

So why have you changed your username

What was it before ?
Trust update. on 12:08 - Aug 15 with 1618 viewsDr_Parnassus

Trust update. on 11:56 - Aug 15 by Best_loser

So why have you changed your username

What was it before ?

Didn’t change it as such, haven’t posted for a long time after getting banned by Phil for questioning his actions and decisions as Chair.

I will leave off stating my old username for obvious reasons, but I’m sure it’s not too difficult to figure out.

Trust update. on 12:50 - Aug 16 with 1421 viewsChief

Trust update. on 22:54 - Aug 13 by AndyCole

Trust is clearly a misnomer. As a proper football fan I have zero trust in it’s ability to represent us fans. Little or no knowledge of the Football Industry, it’s board members on the various forums offer zilch in terms of Football insight; the failure to engage with Birch is shocking.

It seems amateurish at the very best. Total waste of space.

Well technically they are exactly that - unpaid amateurs!
Its a supporters trust - not a football expert panel.
On what matters do you think they should have engaged with Birch on then?
If its a powerless misnomer then surely you believe the trust should pursue legal action asap&hopefully gain funds to possibly become an influence again in the future?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Trust update. on 13:38 - Aug 16 with 1409 viewsonehunglow

Changing your username is perfectly understandable as there are people out there who have nothing better to do than trawl through posts and work out who they really are.

Usernames should be private and identities kept so.

My view is we are quite an intolerable fan base.

My view on the Trust have remained the same. Its just sadness itself we felt there was a need to protect the club at all.

Let's not forget the Yanks haven't stabbed anyone in the back;local people have.

The insults and constant abuse aren't really any surprise.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Trust update. on 13:52 - Aug 16 with 1403 viewsChief

Trust update. on 13:38 - Aug 16 by onehunglow

Changing your username is perfectly understandable as there are people out there who have nothing better to do than trawl through posts and work out who they really are.

Usernames should be private and identities kept so.

My view is we are quite an intolerable fan base.

My view on the Trust have remained the same. Its just sadness itself we felt there was a need to protect the club at all.

Let's not forget the Yanks haven't stabbed anyone in the back;local people have.

The insults and constant abuse aren't really any surprise.

The yanks however did collude with the local sellers didn't they?

Trust update. on 13:58 - Aug 16 with 1396 viewsonehunglow

Ive no idea as I wasn't there but they have done the deal with locals who went behind other' backs,didn't they.
Anyway,as regards closure,I'd rather we all do so.If legal action benefits the club financially then go for it,if it's for other reason,I din't see the point.

By the way,I don't throw puppies into canals

Trust update. on 14:04 - Aug 16 with 1392 viewsChief

Trust update. on 13:58 - Aug 16 by onehunglow

Ive no idea as I wasn't there but they have done the deal with locals who went behind other' backs,didn't they.
Anyway,as regards closure,I'd rather we all do so.If legal action benefits the club financially then go for it,if it's for other reason,I din't see the point.

By the way,I don't throw puppies into canals

Well we do have an idea - the Americans admitted it themselves on tape.

Trust update. on 14:08 - Aug 16 with 1388 viewsonehunglow

Thanks for the exchange anyway.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024