Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
GRIMES 18:36 - Sep 5 with 3071 viewsbuilthjack

Does anyone, anyone at all, besides Cooper, think that Grimes should be Captain ?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

GRIMES on 18:46 - Sep 5 with 2110 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Jasper

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

GRIMES on 19:48 - Sep 5 with 2058 viewsNotLoyal

Time for grimes to face up and say if he wants out or not.
Club captain needs to stand up and be one, meant to be a leader.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

GRIMES on 19:52 - Sep 5 with 2054 viewsjasper_T

GRIMES on 18:46 - Sep 5 by Brynmill_Jack

Jasper

Top player, never a good choice of captain. Too much pressure. Doesn't suit him.
GRIMES on 20:54 - Sep 5 with 2006 viewsKarlHRummenigge

GRIMES on 19:52 - Sep 5 by jasper_T

Top player, never a good choice of captain. Too much pressure. Doesn't suit him.

Agreed. Is captain as leads by example, in training, matches. Works harder, strength of character and self belief.

Unfortunately doesn’t shout and lead on the pitch And not a born leader type
GRIMES on 20:58 - Sep 5 with 2002 viewsChief

Andre is obviously the captain in that side even though Grimes may wear an armband when he plays football

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

GRIMES on 21:04 - Sep 5 with 1992 viewsjack_lord

GRIMES on 19:52 - Sep 5 by jasper_T

Depends what your view of a top player is. He can't tackle for toffee, he scores 1 in a hundred free kicks and his corners just don't find their mark. He is a decent passer but any midfielder in the championship should be..

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

GRIMES on 21:22 - Sep 5 with 1969 viewsjasper_T

GRIMES on 21:04 - Sep 5 by jack_lord

Depends what your view of a top player is. He can't tackle for toffee, he scores 1 in a hundred free kicks and his corners just don't find their mark. He is a decent passer but any midfielder in the championship should be..

Yeah can't tackle for toffee which is why he made the most tackles of any player in the division last season.
GRIMES on 21:28 - Sep 5 with 1966 viewsJack11

Grimes is the epitome of what I call a stats player. Someone who shows well in the stats, but in the flesh they are found wanting. That’s why 99% of stats on players are absolute nonsense.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2020 21:32]
Login to get fewer ads

GRIMES on 21:41 - Sep 5 with 1923 viewsjasper_T

GRIMES on 21:28 - Sep 5 by Jack11

Grimes is the epitome of what I call a stats player. Someone who shows well in the stats, but in the flesh they are found wanting. That’s why 99% of stats on players are absolute nonsense.

Okay, grandpa.
GRIMES on 21:45 - Sep 5 with 1916 viewsJack11

GRIMES on 21:41 - Sep 5 by jasper_T

Okay, grandpa.

Blimey, your old man told me you came on here. How did you know it was me though?
GRIMES on 21:50 - Sep 5 with 1899 viewsGeoffThom

Had one decent season under potter who got his game going
Since then has gone backwards and flatters to deceive
Poor forward balls,doesn't turn on the ball enough doesn't score enough if any goals set piece is awful
Light in the challenge and can be intimidated on times
If someone wants to but him I'll pay his train ticket
GRIMES on 21:55 - Sep 5 with 1884 viewsChief

GRIMES on 21:22 - Sep 5 by jasper_T

Yeah can't tackle for toffee which is why he made the most tackles of any player in the division last season.

Interceptions wasn't it?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

GRIMES on 22:29 - Sep 5 with 1842 viewsjasper_T

GRIMES on 21:55 - Sep 5 by Chief

Interceptions wasn't it?

Flattered a little by having played every minute. 5th in the division in tackles per game, and none of those ahead of him use the ball half as well or as often. All Grimes defensive stats are impressive within this division but people will still insist we should have someone better/stronger/tougher in there. Grass will always be greener.
GRIMES on 23:31 - Sep 5 with 1780 viewsjack_lord

GRIMES on 22:29 - Sep 5 by jasper_T

Flattered a little by having played every minute. 5th in the division in tackles per game, and none of those ahead of him use the ball half as well or as often. All Grimes defensive stats are impressive within this division but people will still insist we should have someone better/stronger/tougher in there. Grass will always be greener.

I wonder how a player gets flattered by statistics. Clearly, most of us have watched most games and have a different view on his ability to tackle by sight alone. He has had three successful tackles per game. I feel he has lost the ball more than three times a game. I know he has lost the ball a number of times and watched the opposition go on and score.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

GRIMES on 00:36 - Sep 6 with 1738 viewsjasper_T

GRIMES on 23:31 - Sep 5 by jack_lord

I wonder how a player gets flattered by statistics. Clearly, most of us have watched most games and have a different view on his ability to tackle by sight alone. He has had three successful tackles per game. I feel he has lost the ball more than three times a game. I know he has lost the ball a number of times and watched the opposition go on and score.

What you feel to be true isn't always going to be actually true. You see Grimes play 46 games for a team you support, every error is going to stick out in your mind, especially the costly ones. He plays in a position where errors often are. And he definitely had a few duff games this season. Of course the Ryan Woods and Harrison Reeds feel like more reliable, capable players when you see them maybe twice a season plus some highlights. You might never see a major error and not care or enjoy it when you do. It's nearly impossible to be objective without some cold hard numbers in front of you.

It's not like the stats boffins aren't keeping track of errors and giveaways. Retaining possession is listed as a strength of Grimes on whoscored, as his pass accuracy is high and his number of poor controls per game is very low for a player on the ball as much as he is. Aforementioned Woods is dispossessed just as often as Grimes (0.7 per game). He makes 1 poor control per game vs Grimes 0.6, while averaging 37 passes per game compared to Matt's 62. 0.4 key passes vs Grimes' 1.6. 0.8 tackles per game vs Grimes 2.8 (44% success rate vs 72%).
GRIMES on 03:27 - Sep 6 with 1697 viewsNotLoyal

I actually like toffee, where do I sign ?

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

GRIMES on 08:41 - Sep 6 with 1629 viewsWhiterockin

GRIMES on 22:29 - Sep 5 by jasper_T

I find it interesting that there is no player from Leeds or West Brom in that list. Shows me that Stats do not equal results.
GRIMES on 08:47 - Sep 6 with 1614 viewsDr_Parnassus

Doesn't matter really. Natural leaders lead anyway, they don't need an armband.

I think too much emphasis is put on it personally.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

GRIMES on 08:52 - Sep 6 with 1607 viewsBillyChong

GRIMES on 21:28 - Sep 5 by Jack11

Also the reason why Dan Altman isn’t employed by a top club.
GRIMES on 09:14 - Sep 6 with 1589 viewsDr_Winston

GRIMES on 08:41 - Sep 6 by Whiterockin

I find it interesting that there is no player from Leeds or West Brom in that list. Shows me that Stats do not equal results.

Almost as if stats don't mean much at all.

Anyway, I'd expect anyone who spent much of the season in midfield alongside a weakling like Byers to do an increased amount of tackling.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

GRIMES on 11:36 - Sep 6 with 1477 viewsjasper_T

GRIMES on 08:41 - Sep 6 by Whiterockin

The result is the simplest stat of all.

I would have assumed raw numbers of tackles would be lower for players in teams with high possession but there's Fulham's Joe Bryan. Kalvin Phillips (Leeds) had 2.6 tackles per game (63% success rate) last season so would have been high on that chart had he played every minute like Grimes did. West Brom's Jake Livermore 2.2 (66% success rate).

George Byers tackling rate over the last two seasons (1.5, 1.7 per game) is the same as Korey Smith's best season pre-injuries (1.6 in 17/18, 67%). Finally a proper DM though, eh.
GRIMES on 12:28 - Sep 6 with 1426 viewsCatullus

Stats don't always tell the story.

If Ayew stays he should be Captain but, if he goes, who should we pick? Personally I think if anyone offers us 10 million for Grimes we should snap it up. I'd much rather that and keep Ayew to be honest.
If both should leave it might be Rodon, leads by example, quite mature, he might even thrive under the added pressure...hopefully. Some players do whilst others fold.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

GRIMES on 13:19 - Sep 6 with 1387 viewsBrynmill_Jack

GRIMES on 11:36 - Sep 6 by jasper_T

The result is the simplest stat of all.

I would have assumed raw numbers of tackles would be lower for players in teams with high possession but there's Fulham's Joe Bryan. Kalvin Phillips (Leeds) had 2.6 tackles per game (63% success rate) last season so would have been high on that chart had he played every minute like Grimes did. West Brom's Jake Livermore 2.2 (66% success rate).

George Byers tackling rate over the last two seasons (1.5, 1.7 per game) is the same as Korey Smith's best season pre-injuries (1.6 in 17/18, 67%). Finally a proper DM though, eh.

George Byers something special now? A lazy player who gives possession away by trying worldie flick which he hasn’t got the skill to execute and never will.

I was annoyed with Ayew shaping up to do an overhead kick when he should have jumped to head the feckin ball

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

GRIMES on 13:29 - Sep 6 with 1384 viewsjasper_T

People love to move goalposts as soon as a stat proves their daft comment incorrect. Then somehow it's the stats that can't tell you anything!

Luckily the game is leaving the anti-stats dinosaurs behind. Grimes contribution is appreciated by the people who matter.
GRIMES on 13:44 - Sep 6 with 1378 viewsswancity

Grimes is most certainly an accomplished performer in our central midfield. It’s not even in doubt. Consistent and hard working he’s a decent Championship player. I’m uncertain about whether he makes a good captain though but all good teams have several leaders out on that pitch and whoever is wearing the arm band is just one of them. Our team lacks natural leaders of men. The Monk, A Williams of this world. They’re in short supply.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024