Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. 11:09 - Sep 16 with 2638 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Do you consider this good or bad news?
So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 11:14 - Sep 16 with 1838 viewsProfessor

On balance it is bad news. If managed properly nuclear power is a good option. If badly (Chernobyl, Five Mile Island) or built in a Tsunami/Earthquake area, then it can be disastrous
So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 11:27 - Sep 16 with 1821 viewsScotia

On balance it is bad news. Wylfa is in a very geologically stable part of the world and it would be of huge local economic benefit.
So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 11:56 - Sep 16 with 1815 viewsA_Fans_Dad

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 11:14 - Sep 16 by Professor

On balance it is bad news. If managed properly nuclear power is a good option. If badly (Chernobyl, Five Mile Island) or built in a Tsunami/Earthquake area, then it can be disastrous

"Disastrous", well compared to the actual earthquakes and tsunamis it was a very minor problem.
The only people that died were due to Government actions.
New designs can erase the Fukushima problems anyway.
So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 12:02 - Sep 16 with 1813 viewsProfessor

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 11:56 - Sep 16 by A_Fans_Dad

"Disastrous", well compared to the actual earthquakes and tsunamis it was a very minor problem.
The only people that died were due to Government actions.
New designs can erase the Fukushima problems anyway.

The Soviets got very lucky at Chernobyl.
So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 15:31 - Sep 16 with 1771 viewsfelixstowe_jack

That should keep the green party happy.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 16:00 - Sep 16 with 1763 viewsA_Fans_Dad

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 12:02 - Sep 16 by Professor

The Soviets got very lucky at Chernobyl.

Oh yes, poor design, poor management and a stupid exercise.
New Nuclear should be based on the fail safe designs that do not melt down.
So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 16:22 - Sep 16 with 1762 viewscontroversial_jack

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 16:00 - Sep 16 by A_Fans_Dad

Oh yes, poor design, poor management and a stupid exercise.
New Nuclear should be based on the fail safe designs that do not melt down.

Good news. There is no such thing as totally safe. Equipment fails, joints and gaskets fail, pumps , compressors break down, cooling water fails and so on
So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 16:38 - Sep 16 with 1754 viewsA_Fans_Dad

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 16:22 - Sep 16 by controversial_jack

Good news. There is no such thing as totally safe. Equipment fails, joints and gaskets fail, pumps , compressors break down, cooling water fails and so on

The fail safe designs don't use pressurised water.
Ther have been less human deaths from the Nuclear industry than any other form of Electricty production.
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/worlds-safest-source-energy/
Login to get fewer ads

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 16:43 - Sep 16 with 1750 viewscontroversial_jack

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 16:38 - Sep 16 by A_Fans_Dad

The fail safe designs don't use pressurised water.
Ther have been less human deaths from the Nuclear industry than any other form of Electricty production.
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/worlds-safest-source-energy/

All cooling water systems have to be pressurised or there will be no circulation or heat transfer, but i'm not an expert on nuclear energy, just 40 years of oil gas and chemical production
So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 17:29 - Sep 16 with 1741 viewsA_Fans_Dad

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 16:43 - Sep 16 by controversial_jack

All cooling water systems have to be pressurised or there will be no circulation or heat transfer, but i'm not an expert on nuclear energy, just 40 years of oil gas and chemical production

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/08/720728055/this-company-says-the-future-of-nuclear

Is one design.

This is another
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebble-bed_reactor

And this

https://www.arcnuclear.com/
[Post edited 16 Sep 2020 17:33]
So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 17:50 - Sep 16 with 1726 viewscontroversial_jack

It's not going to happen anyway.
So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 18:36 - Sep 16 with 1712 viewsonehunglow

Unless you are well set in life ,a disaster if living in Anglesey.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 20:04 - Sep 16 with 1691 viewsCatullus

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 17:29 - Sep 16 by A_Fans_Dad

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/08/720728055/this-company-says-the-future-of-nuclear

Is one design.

This is another
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebble-bed_reactor

And this

https://www.arcnuclear.com/
[Post edited 16 Sep 2020 17:33]

There's this one too,

https://energyeducation.ca/encyclopedia/Pressurized_water_reactor#:~:text=The%20

Which one is most widely used? Well Pressurised reactors are, they make up 60% of the total.

https://www.clpgroup.com/NuclearEnergy/Eng/power/power4_1_1.aspx#:~:text=Pressur

This not happening may be good for the environment but definitely bad for the local economy.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 20:44 - Sep 16 with 1676 viewsKilkennyjack

Great news.

Our future is renewable clean energy in Cymru.
Tides and wind and a small population works.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Beware of the Risen People

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 21:32 - Sep 16 with 1662 viewsA_Fans_Dad

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 20:44 - Sep 16 by Kilkennyjack

Great news.

Our future is renewable clean energy in Cymru.
Tides and wind and a small population works.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Absolutely not, what would we have done on Monday & yesterday?
Monday total wind all over the UK was 2Gw and 7Gw of solar at 1:00pm when we didn't need it.
Tuesday 2.5Gw and 6Gw at 1:00 pm
You cannot run Industry with Renewable energy.
Tides are even worse instead of the Solar midday peak you get 4 much smaller peaks either side of when the tides peak
So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 22:31 - Sep 16 with 1639 viewsKilkennyjack

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 21:32 - Sep 16 by A_Fans_Dad

Absolutely not, what would we have done on Monday & yesterday?
Monday total wind all over the UK was 2Gw and 7Gw of solar at 1:00pm when we didn't need it.
Tuesday 2.5Gw and 6Gw at 1:00 pm
You cannot run Industry with Renewable energy.
Tides are even worse instead of the Solar midday peak you get 4 much smaller peaks either side of when the tides peak

If only energy could be stored, you know like in a battery ...

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 22:35 - Sep 16 with 1637 viewsScotia

I actually spoke to someone involved in N Wales today, apparently its Anglesey local authority that have pulled the plug and they are actually quite small players in this.

Hitachi haven't officially pulled out yet, they could still get planning consent and potentially sell on the plans and their reactor. It may not be over yet.
So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 22:46 - Sep 16 with 1633 viewsVincent_Vega

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 22:31 - Sep 16 by Kilkennyjack

If only energy could be stored, you know like in a battery ...

I’m no energy expert but surely storing such large amounts of energy in batteries would be quite an engineering challenge, ever seen an electric car catch fire? Quite a sight which leads to another issue. Huge battery facilities would make a tempting target...

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 23:14 - Sep 16 with 1625 viewsKilkennyjack

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 22:46 - Sep 16 by Vincent_Vega

I’m no energy expert but surely storing such large amounts of energy in batteries would be quite an engineering challenge, ever seen an electric car catch fire? Quite a sight which leads to another issue. Huge battery facilities would make a tempting target...

Good job nuclear plants are not targets, i alway think .... 🤷‍♂️

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 23:18 - Sep 16 with 1623 viewsVincent_Vega

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 23:14 - Sep 16 by Kilkennyjack

I’m not saying they aren’t. Nuclear facilities are well guarded for that reason but if you make a giant battery facility to store all our energy it leaves us rather exposed don’t you think? Also it’s not possible to store that amount of energy. Maybe in future yes but right now? No.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 00:36 - Sep 17 with 1617 viewscontroversial_jack

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 23:18 - Sep 16 by Vincent_Vega

I’m not saying they aren’t. Nuclear facilities are well guarded for that reason but if you make a giant battery facility to store all our energy it leaves us rather exposed don’t you think? Also it’s not possible to store that amount of energy. Maybe in future yes but right now? No.

What about disposal of the used ones?
So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 02:05 - Sep 17 with 1602 viewsDJack

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 23:14 - Sep 16 by Kilkennyjack

The problem is that you often don't think...

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 09:41 - Sep 17 with 1575 viewsfelixstowe_jack

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 22:46 - Sep 16 by Vincent_Vega

Never seen an electric car catch fire but plenty of petrol cars catch fire especially in class. They make a real mess.

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 09:47 - Sep 17 with 1570 viewsfelixstowe_jack

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 23:18 - Sep 16 by Vincent_Vega

There are ways to store electricity the two pump storage facilities one in north wales and Scotland both store very large amounts of electricity. They are used to provide aquick and large boost to peak electricity demand. The water is pumped back uphill at night using cheap off peak electricity.
Wales could be a world leader at this if some of our large reservoirs could be used on this way.

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 10:40 - Sep 17 with 1561 viewsCatullus

So no Nuclear Power Station for Wales. on 09:47 - Sep 17 by felixstowe_jack

There are ways to store electricity the two pump storage facilities one in north wales and Scotland both store very large amounts of electricity. They are used to provide aquick and large boost to peak electricity demand. The water is pumped back uphill at night using cheap off peak electricity.
Wales could be a world leader at this if some of our large reservoirs could be used on this way.

Yes but we'd need some pretty large spending to build that infrastructure.

Is the answer in using all the eco friendly methods but keeping a smaller nuclear back up capacity to boost the grid at peak demand?
If we have seen a permanent move to more working from home, what difference will that make? I don't see how we can move to green supplies and go fully electric with cars? Won't the demand be just too much? Will it only be doable with increased working from home so not the demand for cars or offices?

AFD is very dismissive of the eco solutions but the sun is there all day, the tides are twice a day without fail, the wind will blow we just need better wind turbines which no doubt will come one day, turbines that can work in stronger wind speeds. Batteries will improve so storgae will too. 95% of stored energy is the hydro model you mentioned. Wales needs to invest in this.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/technology/9-ways-to-store-energy-on-the-grid

Now this will be good news for Kilk and his ilk, if we had a better Welsh government, one that can see further than the end of it's nose and works for the people more and less for itself (which is a global problem with politicians) we might just be indy capable. But that battle needs fighting now, the Senedd/WAG/WP/WG or whtever you want to call it needs to start this move sooner rather than later. We need to get ahead of the game.
I'm fed up of the Senedd always blaming Westminster, even if it is partly true. Take responsibility where we can and do something to build for the future. Wales must petition Westminster to have more control over it's own energy supply, a modern far thinking model would not only be good for Wales but good for the rest of the Uk, even if we went indy we would still sell to England.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024