Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City 14:49 - Sep 16 with 6387 viewsNotLoyal

Liberty Stadium, Swansea
Saturday 19th September 2020
Kick off 3pm

Referee is Gavin Ward, guitarist with Bolt Thrower

In the past, Swansea Independent Spotlight
Swansea City 4 - 0 Birmingham City
Division Two - February 16, 1952

The Swans put in an impressive performance in front of the Vetch Field faithful, with goals from Frank Scrine, Alf Bellis and Ivor Allchurch securing a comprehensive victory. Birmingham’s robust style of play had seen them lead the league table not long before, but the visitors struggled to deal with the attacking flair of Swansea. Scrine’s goal was followed up by a double from Bellis, who put the home side out of sight before Allchurch put the seal on the triumph with a fourth goal in the dying minutes. Swansea’s win was made all-the-more impressive in the following weeks as the Blues went on an eight-game unbeaten run, losing just twice more in the league that campaign.

Ivor Allchurch bossed this spotlight game, Liverpudlian Alf Bellis who died in 2013 scored a brace.

Birmingham facts
Zulu’s

There is an apparent reputation founded back in Birmingham time when baggy trousered males of differing cultures would gather together and shout ‘Zulu’ at each other. They moved on quickly and started running about shouting Zulu at anyone who would listen, and then running towards visiting fans at St Andrews shouting Zulu at them as well. Zulu was popular.

Here are some blurry faced chaps who probably shouted Zulu quite a lot
Conversely this is a real Zulu, there is no historical information available as to what he shouted, or indeed when
It’s an interesting fact that the Zulu warriors of old caught a cold at Rorkes Drift when a welsh regiment shoved all sorts of lead up their Jacksys. In 1964 a film was made of the event, you will see from the photo below that the Welsh regiment were wearing The official Wales home jersey for this event, even though they were actually playing away from home.

In formation, a sort of 4 3 3 it would be described as today are the Welsh tearing the Zulus a new one. Hats are no longer worn in football matches.

Birmingham City star player.
Adam Clayton

Adam is an influential no nonsense midfielder who continues to be the glue in the side when he plays. The only issues the swans may face will be if Gavin Ward and Adam know each other through their musical endeavours. Unconscious bias is something numerous referees could be accused of, however in this case we hope they leave any music chat to after the game.

Adam Clayton at home yesterday

Anyone in any doubt this is Adam the day before

Numerous Swansea City players have left the club for Birmingham City. John Cornforth. Andy Legge and Jason Bowen are memorable transfers. Then owner Barry Fry had a liking for Swansea's midfield during the nineties. Most recently Wales on Line described Jefferson Montero as a Swansea misfit upon leaving the Midlands club on June 30th as a free agent. Montero is still only thirty and it seems is destined for an injury ridden end to his career.

Statto time

My first trip to Birmingham was in 1995 with the old MAGS from Gloucester etc. How we came away with a win still baffles me today. John Hodge scored a penalty, zulus were out with smiley faces, our mini bus had an empty McDonald’s carton thrown at it causing ...
No damage at all. Marc Clode was sent off. If I recall it was at half time, somebody will correct me but I recall a Birmingham fan running on the pitch and trying to attack Jon Forde ? Anyway, it’s all in the game as they say. That could have been another game.
The local football phone in had one Birmingham supporter stating when you lose to Swansea you know you are in the shit 😂

John Hodge, came to the MAGS end of season dinner in 1995 in Gloucester, caused mayhem, went to his hotel Very drunk after leaving much disaster in his wake. The pub, which I think was called the The Dog at Over on the A40 had bouncers in because gypsies were coming in to the bar and causing problems. Hodge found out they were from Cardiff, one tapped his head and BOOOOOM ! It didn’t end well. Oh happy days. It’s a Matchday thread with a difference this week.

More interesting Matchday stats will follow

Possibly.

[Post edited 18 Sep 2020 21:32]

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Matchday Independent : Swansea City v Birmingham City on 07:29 - Sep 17 with 2563 viewsAndyCole

Hoping to see continuity from the Preston game, Lineup and formation. Wasn't perfect execution of the plan but liking the positive intent of the 352.

Looking for a higher tempo and more sustained press earlier in the game, and then more of the same controlled defending when Birmingham inevitably punch back.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Matchday Independent : Swansea City v Birmingham City on 14:02 - Sep 18 with 2437 viewsKGriz16

Matchday Independent : Swansea City v Birmingham City on 07:29 - Sep 17 by AndyCole

Hoping to see continuity from the Preston game, Lineup and formation. Wasn't perfect execution of the plan but liking the positive intent of the 352.

Looking for a higher tempo and more sustained press earlier in the game, and then more of the same controlled defending when Birmingham inevitably punch back.

I echo this. Thanks for another smashing thread Not Loyal.
Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 22:25 - Sep 18 with 2303 viewsKarlHRummenigge

A late summer afternoon at a sun-drenched Liberty is something special. Most especially in the North East where the sun tracks around as the action heats up.

The crowd would be upbeat after the excitement of the run-in and last week's excellent away result.

More of the same, with an upbeat crowd on the matchday thread.

(Thanks for yet another top notch thread, gets better and better)
Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 22:39 - Sep 18 with 2293 viewsbonymine

I remember an away game back in the early 90’s at St Andrews Jason Bowen scored a penalty to win us the game I just about managed to get back to our car we were attacked from all sides by the ‘Zulus’ ..... 🙄🙈🙈👍

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 22:51 - Sep 18 with 2288 viewsKeithHaynes

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 22:39 - Sep 18 by bonymine

I remember an away game back in the early 90’s at St Andrews Jason Bowen scored a penalty to win us the game I just about managed to get back to our car we were attacked from all sides by the ‘Zulus’ ..... 🙄🙈🙈👍

I’m cracking on a bit, but I do recall Paul Chalmers scoring in a 1-0 away win midweek, my word I’m glad I was younger and a tad more quicker back then.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 00:30 - Sep 19 with 2242 viewsNotLoyal

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 22:51 - Sep 18 by KeithHaynes

I’m cracking on a bit, but I do recall Paul Chalmers scoring in a 1-0 away win midweek, my word I’m glad I was younger and a tad more quicker back then.

Did he do a trav programme in a wig!

OK I've changed it.

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 09:45 - Sep 19 with 2150 viewsCatullus

When I went to St Andrews the area looked like it had been carpet bombed, it was the early 80's.

Brilliant Op by the way, love it.

I reckon we need to move tha ball more quickly today. Birmingham are big and physical, we need to keep them moving, have them hasing shadows hopefully. I predict a lot of fouls today, primarily on us.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 10:10 - Sep 19 with 2137 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Same line-up and formation as last Saturday please but with a higher tempo. Quick snappy passing is the order of the day.
Login to get fewer ads

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 11:24 - Sep 19 with 2092 viewsNotLoyal

I'm up for a 2-1 home win today!

OK I've changed it.

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 11:26 - Sep 19 with 2093 viewsSwans9

I was at the 1995 match at Birmingham. Definitely the most one sided game I have ever seen how we won I will never know. Barry Fry was lost for words giving his verdict on the game.
Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 11:50 - Sep 19 with 2081 viewsFireboy2

I hope cooper has learned from last season, he needs to try out different formations for home games, starting with this one.
Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 11:54 - Sep 19 with 2076 viewsNotLoyal

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 11:50 - Sep 19 by Fireboy2

I hope cooper has learned from last season, he needs to try out different formations for home games, starting with this one.

Can't see it mate, however I agree if he doesn't then it won't take long for decent coaches to work him out. Like Luton last season.

OK I've changed it.

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 11:58 - Sep 19 with 2075 viewsAndyCole

Interesting point, how would you line up against this dogged, physical Karanka Side ?

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 12:35 - Sep 19 with 2054 viewsWhiterockin

Is there much difference between home and away games at the moment?
Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 12:58 - Sep 19 with 2016 viewsswan65split

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 09:45 - Sep 19 by Catullus

When I went to St Andrews the area looked like it had been carpet bombed, it was the early 80's.

Brilliant Op by the way, love it.

I reckon we need to move tha ball more quickly today. Birmingham are big and physical, we need to keep them moving, have them hasing shadows hopefully. I predict a lot of fouls today, primarily on us.

i was there at that time as well, didnt Gemmill see us off, ?
Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 13:05 - Sep 19 with 2018 viewsFireboy2

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 11:58 - Sep 19 by AndyCole

Interesting point, how would you line up against this dogged, physical Karanka Side ?

That's for cooper to work out.

Our job is to scrutinise everything he does
Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 13:07 - Sep 19 with 2015 viewsFireboy2

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 11:54 - Sep 19 by NotLoyal

Can't see it mate, however I agree if he doesn't then it won't take long for decent coaches to work him out. Like Luton last season.

As we know that's what happened plenty of times last season.
Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 13:09 - Sep 19 with 2011 viewsFireboy2

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 12:35 - Sep 19 by Whiterockin

Is there much difference between home and away games at the moment?

Teams will play defensively away from home if there are fans in the ground or not.
Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 13:12 - Sep 19 with 2005 viewsCatullus

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 12:58 - Sep 19 by swan65split

i was there at that time as well, didnt Gemmill see us off, ?

I had to look it up, nah that was the year before I went I think. We drew 1-1 when I went.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 14:12 - Sep 19 with 1935 viewsNotLoyal

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 13:12 - Sep 19 by Catullus

I had to look it up, nah that was the year before I went I think. We drew 1-1 when I went.

TEAM NEWS TO FOLLOW

OK I've changed it.

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 14:14 - Sep 19 with 1928 viewsonehunglow

Cooper working it out?

Love it

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 14:17 - Sep 19 with 1922 viewsHighjack

16 games played in the championship so far, only one draw.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 14:18 - Sep 19 with 1919 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Jasper, any news on the U18s game today?
Nothing on the official site and their twitter account.
Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 14:25 - Sep 19 with 1893 viewsWhiterockin

Same starting 11.
Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City (n/t) on 14:27 - Sep 19 with 1887 viewsNotLoyal

Swansea City head coach Steve Cooper has named an unchanged side for the first home game of the season against Birmingham City. The Swansea boss keeps faith with the same starting line-up and bench that secured a 1-0 win at Preston on the opening day of the season.That means Freddie Woodman starts in goal, with a three-man defence of Ben Cabango, Joe Rodon and Marc Guehi ahead of him. Jake Bidwell and Connor Roberts will look to continue their impress form at wing-back, operating either side of midfielders Korey Smith and captain Matt Grimes.

Morgan Gibbs-White takes on the attacking midfield role, and will look to provide the ammunition for Jamal Lowe and Andre Ayew in attack.

For Smith, Gibbs-White and Lowe this will be their home debuts following their summer arrivals.

The visitors hand a debut to former Cardiff keeper Neil Etheridge, while Scott Hogan - who joined from Aston Villa on Thursday - is among the Birmingham substitutes.

Swansea City: Freddie Woodman; Ben Cabango, Joe Rodon, Marc Guehi; Connor Roberts, Korey Smith, Matt Grimes (captain), Jake Bidwell; Morgan Gibbs-White; Jamal Lowe, Andre Ayew.

Substitutes: Steven Benda, Kyle Naughton, Jay Fulton, Wayne Routledge, Yan Dhanda, Kristoffer Peterson, Liam Cullen.

Birmingham City: Neil Etheridge, Kristian Pedersen, Ivan Sunjic, Lukas Jutkiewicz, Harlee Dean (captain), Ivan Sanchez, Jeremie Bela, Maxime Colin, George Friend, Jon Toral, Adam Clayton.

Substitutes: Zach Jeacock, Marc Roberts, Dan Crowley, Gary Gardner, Scott Hogan, Steve Seddon, Agustin Medina.

Referee: Gavin Ward
[Post edited 19 Sep 2020 14:32]

OK I've changed it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024