Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City 14:49 - Sep 16 with 6390 viewsNotLoyal

Liberty Stadium, Swansea
Saturday 19th September 2020
Kick off 3pm

Referee is Gavin Ward, guitarist with Bolt Thrower

In the past, Swansea Independent Spotlight
Swansea City 4 - 0 Birmingham City
Division Two - February 16, 1952

The Swans put in an impressive performance in front of the Vetch Field faithful, with goals from Frank Scrine, Alf Bellis and Ivor Allchurch securing a comprehensive victory. Birmingham’s robust style of play had seen them lead the league table not long before, but the visitors struggled to deal with the attacking flair of Swansea. Scrine’s goal was followed up by a double from Bellis, who put the home side out of sight before Allchurch put the seal on the triumph with a fourth goal in the dying minutes. Swansea’s win was made all-the-more impressive in the following weeks as the Blues went on an eight-game unbeaten run, losing just twice more in the league that campaign.

Ivor Allchurch bossed this spotlight game, Liverpudlian Alf Bellis who died in 2013 scored a brace.

Birmingham facts
Zulu’s

There is an apparent reputation founded back in Birmingham time when baggy trousered males of differing cultures would gather together and shout ‘Zulu’ at each other. They moved on quickly and started running about shouting Zulu at anyone who would listen, and then running towards visiting fans at St Andrews shouting Zulu at them as well. Zulu was popular.

Here are some blurry faced chaps who probably shouted Zulu quite a lot
Conversely this is a real Zulu, there is no historical information available as to what he shouted, or indeed when
It’s an interesting fact that the Zulu warriors of old caught a cold at Rorkes Drift when a welsh regiment shoved all sorts of lead up their Jacksys. In 1964 a film was made of the event, you will see from the photo below that the Welsh regiment were wearing The official Wales home jersey for this event, even though they were actually playing away from home.

In formation, a sort of 4 3 3 it would be described as today are the Welsh tearing the Zulus a new one. Hats are no longer worn in football matches.

Birmingham City star player.
Adam Clayton

Adam is an influential no nonsense midfielder who continues to be the glue in the side when he plays. The only issues the swans may face will be if Gavin Ward and Adam know each other through their musical endeavours. Unconscious bias is something numerous referees could be accused of, however in this case we hope they leave any music chat to after the game.

Adam Clayton at home yesterday

Anyone in any doubt this is Adam the day before

Numerous Swansea City players have left the club for Birmingham City. John Cornforth. Andy Legge and Jason Bowen are memorable transfers. Then owner Barry Fry had a liking for Swansea's midfield during the nineties. Most recently Wales on Line described Jefferson Montero as a Swansea misfit upon leaving the Midlands club on June 30th as a free agent. Montero is still only thirty and it seems is destined for an injury ridden end to his career.

Statto time

My first trip to Birmingham was in 1995 with the old MAGS from Gloucester etc. How we came away with a win still baffles me today. John Hodge scored a penalty, zulus were out with smiley faces, our mini bus had an empty McDonald’s carton thrown at it causing ...
No damage at all. Marc Clode was sent off. If I recall it was at half time, somebody will correct me but I recall a Birmingham fan running on the pitch and trying to attack Jon Forde ? Anyway, it’s all in the game as they say. That could have been another game.
The local football phone in had one Birmingham supporter stating when you lose to Swansea you know you are in the shit 😂

John Hodge, came to the MAGS end of season dinner in 1995 in Gloucester, caused mayhem, went to his hotel Very drunk after leaving much disaster in his wake. The pub, which I think was called the The Dog at Over on the A40 had bouncers in because gypsies were coming in to the bar and causing problems. Hodge found out they were from Cardiff, one tapped his head and BOOOOOM ! It didn’t end well. Oh happy days. It’s a Matchday thread with a difference this week.

More interesting Matchday stats will follow

Possibly.

[Post edited 18 Sep 2020 21:32]

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 19:35 - Sep 19 with 980 viewsjackrabbit

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 19:17 - Sep 19 by jasper_T

Parachute payments don't stop you falling they slow you down to prepare for life on the ground. We came down with £90m/year in wage commitments and the standard income for a Championship club our size is ~£20m/year.

May well be we need new owners who will throw tens of millions a season into the Championship money pit in order to "move forward". That's the minimum expectation from fans these days. Practically the whole division lives far beyond their means and relies on player sales to stay solvent. Not all will.

Things may or may not improve in the future but I think the present owners have little or no interest in the club and nothing has a chance to improve until we’re under new ownership. That’s why I get impatient with people who slag off Cooper because he’s not Rodgers or Laudrup. The club hasn’t got a pot to p*** in, and how else would we get players like Brewster and Gallagher last season, or Guehi and Gibbs-White this season without Cooper and his contacts book? I play golf with a friend who ‘is on the Inside’ at Chelsea and he tells me that Steve Cooper is very well respected in the football world. We’re lucky to have him and he’s not done badly for us so far.
Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 21:07 - Sep 19 with 924 viewsDr_Parnassus

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 19:35 - Sep 19 by jackrabbit

Things may or may not improve in the future but I think the present owners have little or no interest in the club and nothing has a chance to improve until we’re under new ownership. That’s why I get impatient with people who slag off Cooper because he’s not Rodgers or Laudrup. The club hasn’t got a pot to p*** in, and how else would we get players like Brewster and Gallagher last season, or Guehi and Gibbs-White this season without Cooper and his contacts book? I play golf with a friend who ‘is on the Inside’ at Chelsea and he tells me that Steve Cooper is very well respected in the football world. We’re lucky to have him and he’s not done badly for us so far.

Agree on the whole with this.

Cooper has his flaws, of course, that’s why he’s a Championship level manager at the moment. Without him we would struggle to put out a competitive side. All these players are coming to us because of him.

On the owner front, I disagree however. They have spent £68,000,000 on us, to think they don’t care about their investment probably doesn’t represent reality. The club is in a financial mess. We have a player on 65k a week in the Championship, it’s unthinkable really.

We could do a lot worse than these owners. They aren’t desirable either but sometimes it’s the better the devil you know. They are essentially custodians, we shouldn’t be expecting them to pump millions on their own money in, the last lot didnt either. That’s never been our way.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 23:31 - Sep 20 with 609 viewsjackrabbit

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 21:07 - Sep 19 by Dr_Parnassus

Agree on the whole with this.

Cooper has his flaws, of course, that’s why he’s a Championship level manager at the moment. Without him we would struggle to put out a competitive side. All these players are coming to us because of him.

On the owner front, I disagree however. They have spent £68,000,000 on us, to think they don’t care about their investment probably doesn’t represent reality. The club is in a financial mess. We have a player on 65k a week in the Championship, it’s unthinkable really.

We could do a lot worse than these owners. They aren’t desirable either but sometimes it’s the better the devil you know. They are essentially custodians, we shouldn’t be expecting them to pump millions on their own money in, the last lot didnt either. That’s never been our way.

Fair point on the owners - I stand corrected.

But have they visited us - pre Covid - since we were relegated? That’s why I had the notion that they are not really bothered.
Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 10:29 - Sep 21 with 529 viewsBadlands

Matchday Thread - Swansea City v Birmingham City on 19:17 - Sep 19 by jasper_T

Parachute payments don't stop you falling they slow you down to prepare for life on the ground. We came down with £90m/year in wage commitments and the standard income for a Championship club our size is ~£20m/year.

May well be we need new owners who will throw tens of millions a season into the Championship money pit in order to "move forward". That's the minimum expectation from fans these days. Practically the whole division lives far beyond their means and relies on player sales to stay solvent. Not all will.

May well be we need new owners who will throw tens of millions a season into the Championship money pit in order to "move forward".
That means we have turned into everyone else - something we prided ourselves in not doing when we got into the PL.
No one is going to pump 10s of £millions in the Swans, no one ever has. Fans who think someone will is going to be very unhappy for a very long time.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024