Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Planet Swans & FansNetwork 12:50 - Sep 23 with 21370 viewsKeithHaynes

As many of you know Phil Sumbler and I have known each other for many years going way back to the 90's. History aside in all our ventures we have remained good friends. Recent events on his and this site has resulted in us both agreeing that if we are good friends then both sites will also have the same relationship. After a lengthy conversation today we have agreed on numerous points. First off, the reason I took over this site was to influence advertisers and people to visit this site as its decline was evident. Phil had left Fansnetwork and now runs planet swans. I have one other reason for attempting to generate a small income from Fansnetwork. Proceeds will go to a charitable cause or causes. I will give you an example, my daughter has terminal brain cancer, she has four children and until being diagnosed worked all her life. Her husband continues to keep family life stable as the main breadwinner. To be able to give kids something to look forward to and assist with that financially (and that goes for anyone who benefits) is the main gift this site has. Both Phil and I agree we can both be beneficial to each other in that regard.

To bring new content to this site, things like Roger Freestone joining us can only help us moving forwards.

However, to encourage quality writers and to develop relationships with advertisers we need to show we are a professional but fun business. Advertisers will not pay for their company to be on this site if posters remain in the mode of abusing each other or brining up old wounds, creating an us and them environment with Phil's site and similar tactics. There is no us and them, this is a Swansea City site in the main, we have areas you can discuss any topic you like without resorting to provoking racial tension or using hate to promote a point of view. No advertiser or decent contributor wants to be associated with that, and neither do I.

90% of posts since I have taken over the site have been fine, clever, witty and informative and that's the way we are going to keep it. From today I am going to unlock all bans on this site and moderate it every few hours for a period of time. I also hope you can help by reporting anything that's abusive or threatening. On that point any thread causing division between the two sites will be taken down, any threats or issues promoting hate will result in the user being banned, permanently.

From this moment these rules have to apply, and they will apply to both websites at the agreement of both Phil and I. Whats gone before has gone, we want a flourishing and friendly environment on both websites, somewhere younger people can enjoy as well. However in the main we are all old enough to understand the basic rules of decency and not use swearing or words that are clearly modified as a swear word to be offensive.

On a very positive point the site has increased in members and visits by almost a quarter in just over a week, that's down to you supporting us and of course supporting the reasons why I run this site. There's more to come to make this a more successful reading experience on Fansnetwork and I look forward to your support as we do so.

Thank you all.

Update from responses
Both websites are completely independent, but we both agree neither will be used by certain others to promote hate between the websites or individual members. None of this should be confusing. Phil update his site later on today.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 13:41 - Sep 23 with 4101 viewstrampie

Just seen this, good post.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 14:12 - Sep 23 with 4063 viewsDr_Parnassus

Agreed, good post. I think the issue previously is that these things weren’t adhered to and were only selectively used as a pretext to ban people that they didn’t like and the rules were applied very selectively.

Everyone who is a part of this forum should leave all personal nonsense and name calling at the door, I fully support removing anyone not willing to adhere by Keith and FN rules and disrupting what has been an excellent forum so far.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 14:21 - Sep 23 with 4058 viewsWxmJax

It can't be easy but wishing you and your family the very best.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 14:30 - Sep 23 with 4039 viewsItchySphincter

Firstly, best wishes to you daughter and family, and good luck with the venture.

Secondly - Yay! I post on both boards but this one definitely has it's fair share of veiled racists - sort them out and you'll be laughing!

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 14:36 - Sep 23 with 4024 viewsDr_Parnassus

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 14:30 - Sep 23 by ItchySphincter

Firstly, best wishes to you daughter and family, and good luck with the venture.

Secondly - Yay! I post on both boards but this one definitely has it's fair share of veiled racists - sort them out and you'll be laughing!

Not sure what a veiled racist is, but I have not seen a single racist post or anything that has even alluded to racism.

If you can report or flag any posts like that you see then I’m sure Keith will deal with them on your behalf.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2020 14:37]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 14:39 - Sep 23 with 4020 viewsNotLoyal

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 14:30 - Sep 23 by ItchySphincter

And straight away you do exactly what Keith has asked people not to do.
Move on.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 14:42 - Sep 23 with 4000 viewstrampie

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 14:12 - Sep 23 by Dr_Parnassus

Agreed, good post. I think the issue previously is that these things weren’t adhered to and were only selectively used as a pretext to ban people that they didn’t like and the rules were applied very selectively.

Everyone who is a part of this forum should leave all personal nonsense and name calling at the door, I fully support removing anyone not willing to adhere by Keith and FN rules and disrupting what has been an excellent forum so far.

Good post, I think your first paragraph hits the nail on the head.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2020 14:50]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 14:49 - Sep 23 with 3981 viewschad

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 14:42 - Sep 23 by trampie

Very true Trampie
Login to get fewer ads

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 14:51 - Sep 23 with 3973 viewsReslovenSwan1

Yes good luck and best wishes in you personal life and aspirations.

Can you please advise as to your level of independence of planetswans?. There is a danger your site could simple seen as part of one particular influencer clique or another and not indepenent at all.

Would planetswans affiliates we given any role in identifying and banning any contributor on your site on the basis of any view their views for example.?

Wise sage since Toshack era

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 14:51 - Sep 23 with 3972 viewsonehunglow

Same here.
Reading Keith's circumstances was upsetting even to a casual observator so God know s how he family feel. Very little more one can add really.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 14:58 - Sep 23 with 3950 viewstrampie

I can't see anything yet on Planet Swans relating to rules regarding the way forward as outlined by Keith in his opening post on this thread ?

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 15:59 - Sep 23 with 3875 viewspencoedjack

Good luck with PS Keith, as mentioned on PM I will continue to post on both sites.
Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 16:18 - Sep 23 with 3852 viewsNotLoyal

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 14:58 - Sep 23 by trampie

I can't see anything yet on Planet Swans relating to rules regarding the way forward as outlined by Keith in his opening post on this thread ?

I've lifted the text.

Planet Swans & Swansea Independent
Post 23 Sep 2020 15:52

As many of you know Keith Haynes and I have known each other for many years going way back to the 90' and our time living the other side of the bridge alongside many Jacks who we used to travel with as part of the MAGS. We have worked together on many projects - 4 books (all of which sold more than either of us imagined) and also arranging Roger Freestone's testimonial which included the game itself against Chelsea. For more than 20 years we have remained good friends and Keith spoke to me before he took over the fans network site with a clear viewpoint that if that was something that would end the friendship he wouldn't do it. I am (closing in) on being 50 years old - naturally Keith is older ( :lol: ) if we can survive the Petty and Lewis eras still talking to each other then we can share a Swansea City internet world without falling out. Indeed, Keith still has his season ticket at the Liberty on the row in front of me (seats we have occupied since the stadium opened in 2005)

After a lengthy conversation today we have agreed on numerous points. I do know his reasons for taking over the site and I have been aware of his daughter's terrible illness for some time and very supportive of his reasons for doing this. My reasons for leaving fans network were not out of malice towards the network - as I said at the time they have been very supportive of me for many years but I wanted to run an independent site again and pick up additional skills by doing so. I like to think I've done a good job of it but I would always have been aware that the new look and feel would not be for everyone, however the enjoyment of running the fans network site had gone for me for personal reasons. As Keith will testify in just a short time this can become very time consuming

Because of that there will be some posters who have stuck with Planet Swans, some who stayed there and some who mingle between both sites enjoying the various discussions. That is how it should be and has been that way ever since I entered the world of writing a Swansea site taking over here (or jackarmy.net as it was then) back in the summer of 2001 just before all hell broke loose.

Where Keith and I totally agree is that a divide and conquer approach is just - frankly - pointless. Therefore from the moment I press send on this post there is no them and us, this is a Swansea City site in the main, we have areas you can discuss any topic you like without resorting to provoking racial tension or using hate to promote a point of view. On a similar basis I don't think too many people reading and visiting here will want a blow by blow account of topics on Swansea Independent. If they do then I am sure they will manage to read them by themselves.

I also hope you can help by reporting anything that's abusive or threatening (every post has a report button that generates a notification to myself). On that point any thread causing division between the two sites will be taken down with any posts containing threats or hate removed immediately and could very likely result in bans from the site. Again this and I is an area that Keith and I agreed on without any discussion at all.

From this moment these rules have to apply, and they will apply to both websites at the agreement of both Phil and I. What's gone before has gone, we want a flourishing and friendly environment on both websites, somewhere younger people can enjoy as well. However in the main we are all old enough to understand the basic rules of decency and refrain as much as possible from the use of swearing or words that are clearly modified as a swear word to be offensive.

As I said earlier I have run this site for the best part of 20 years in several guises, several locations and more redesigns than I care to remember. Unpacking the archives this week saw more than 14,000 pages of content added to the site - that is something to be proud of and we have always worked in harmony with other sites. When one is run by one of my oldest friends then I do not see that changing hence the post on here and there has been a similar one on fans network this afternoon (Keith's benefit of being older is he is retired in the sun, I still have a day job... :lol: :lol: )

Thank you to everyone for their ongoing support of Swansea City and Planet Swans (whether as a poster or regular visitor) , we are all (even benny!) Swansea fans.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 16:41 - Sep 23 with 3823 viewsItchySphincter

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 14:39 - Sep 23 by NotLoyal

And straight away you do exactly what Keith has asked people not to do.
Move on.

Lol, what have I done now?

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 16:42 - Sep 23 with 3822 viewsHighjack

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 14:42 - Sep 23 by trampie

I once was banned most unjustly for asking a perfectly sensible question on the old welsh board. Luckily I took my case to the U.N and my ban was promptly overturned within the hour.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 16:46 - Sep 23 with 3812 viewsHighjack

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 16:41 - Sep 23 by ItchySphincter

Lol, what have I done now?

You were asked to not stir up tensions between the boards and you immediately leapt in with “this board is full of racists!”

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 17:00 - Sep 23 with 3795 viewsBest_loser

Good to know somebody is looking out for vile personal abuse and trolls
Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 17:05 - Sep 23 with 3784 viewsReslovenSwan1

The text references 'Phil and I' where of course it should say 'Keith and I '. So what is the point of two websites with the same rules and principles?

Perhaps it is the Co op stores strategy of buying up another local store to stop Tesco Metro moving onto their 'patch' with alternative products.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 17:06 - Sep 23 with 3783 viewsItchySphincter

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 16:46 - Sep 23 by Highjack

You were asked to not stir up tensions between the boards and you immediately leapt in with “this board is full of racists!”

I don’t know why you put that in quotation marks, it’s clearly not what I said. I made an observation, it’s one of the reasons I stopped posting for a while. I’m not stirring anything. It will be nice to see it cleaned up.

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 17:09 - Sep 23 with 3775 viewsHighjack

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 17:06 - Sep 23 by ItchySphincter

I don’t know why you put that in quotation marks, it’s clearly not what I said. I made an observation, it’s one of the reasons I stopped posting for a while. I’m not stirring anything. It will be nice to see it cleaned up.

I was paraphrasing.

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 17:18 - Sep 23 with 3768 viewsItchySphincter

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 17:09 - Sep 23 by Highjack

I was paraphrasing.

Well I will reiterate due to misinterpretation - it will be nice to see the board cleaned up. No problem.

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 18:27 - Sep 23 with 3685 viewsbuilthjack

Looking forward to it

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 18:29 - Sep 23 with 3685 viewsLohengrin

We’ve never met, Keith, I don’t think, but I was genuinely saddened reading about your daughter.

I hope the fund raising is going well and if there’s anything we can do on here just give us the nod.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 18:40 - Sep 23 with 3663 viewstrampie

As a point of interest I just noticed a few moments ago that there was 12 members and 110 guests on here and 6 members and 40 guests on Planet Swans.

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 19:10 - Sep 23 with 3628 viewsKilkennyjack

Planet Swans & FansNetwork on 18:29 - Sep 23 by Lohengrin

We’ve never met, Keith, I don’t think, but I was genuinely saddened reading about your daughter.

I hope the fund raising is going well and if there’s anything we can do on here just give us the nod.

Totally agree.

Fine words Loh.

Beware of the Risen People

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024