Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 01:18 - Sep 29 with 170592 viewsDr_Parnassus

Who will be watching? First one kicks off in 24 hours time.

The Democrats have pulled Joe back from his campaign trail recently to get him prepared, so hopefully it will be a decent exchange.

Unfortunately they don’t seem to have great confidence as they have spent the last month looking for any dirt they can dig up so Joe can use if he gets stuck.

It’s no coincidence that this vote influencing Facebook algorithm story is being shamelessly and inaccurately made into a race issue on the eve of the debates. So transparent and disingenuous, it’s a shame politics has come to this on this level where black people are being used in this way to score political points. I would be furious if I was them, but it does seem a lot of people are not falling for this one and calling it out for what it is.

People finally seem to be getting wise to this political race baiting which is refreshing to see.

It’s also telling that in the week of the debate they try and paint Trump as a tax evasion offender. I think that’s what they wanted the tax returns to show, they seem to have got annoyed when it turns out his tax returns were fine in accordance to what his companies profits were - but decided to run with it anyway. Any news is good news in their mind as it’s another thing Joe can use when in a tricky spot.

But I hope the discussions remain political and doesn’t turn into some form of gossip peddling reality TV episode.

Although I think there should be some kind of drinking game involved if it does turn that way, how many times Biden completely loses his thread of thought and blurts out “I mean, think about it...” you have to take a shot.

I will be watching with great interest anyway.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 01:48 - Oct 1 with 2907 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 01:29 - Oct 1 by Kerouac

This bloke sums up that "debate" pretty well...

I think you just have to look at the markets to see who won and lost.

Biden went from $1.79 pre debate to $1.62 right now. But again, saying Biden won is a bit of a stretch as he did next to nothing to help his cause. Chris Wallace won it for the Democrats due to his behaviour and democratic bias.

I think even if Trump had been replaced with one of the best debating minds in the world, he still wouldn’t have won. It was set up for him not to be able to. That’s not to say he couldn’t have done better though, because he could have.

He failed to pick up and hammer home on the many lies and inconsistencies Biden uttered which were tap ins, significant ones. It just became a bit of a slanging match where Wallace was more than happy to step in for Biden and debate Trump one on one which was the worst example of Democratic bias possibly in debate moderating history.

I highly doubt he will be appointed to do another.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 02:21 - Oct 1 with 2883 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 01:48 - Oct 1 by Dr_Parnassus

I think you just have to look at the markets to see who won and lost.

Biden went from $1.79 pre debate to $1.62 right now. But again, saying Biden won is a bit of a stretch as he did next to nothing to help his cause. Chris Wallace won it for the Democrats due to his behaviour and democratic bias.

I think even if Trump had been replaced with one of the best debating minds in the world, he still wouldn’t have won. It was set up for him not to be able to. That’s not to say he couldn’t have done better though, because he could have.

He failed to pick up and hammer home on the many lies and inconsistencies Biden uttered which were tap ins, significant ones. It just became a bit of a slanging match where Wallace was more than happy to step in for Biden and debate Trump one on one which was the worst example of Democratic bias possibly in debate moderating history.

I highly doubt he will be appointed to do another.

The moderators for the three debates were appointed a while ago. Steve Scully will do the second one and Kristen Welker the third.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 03:05 - Oct 1 with 2855 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 02:21 - Oct 1 by Joe_bradshaw

The moderators for the three debates were appointed a while ago. Steve Scully will do the second one and Kristen Welker the third.

Yes I mean in the future. He did one in 2016 and did a decent job.

I don’t see any way he will get the gig in 2024 for example after this showing.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 10:23 - Oct 1 with 2760 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 19:21 - Sep 30 by Humpty

Correct. But he occasionally asked Trump to stick to the agreed rules, therefore he is left wing. Probably evil too.

Wow.

Are you suggesting there was no bias by Wallace? Don’t be so daft, there is very few people suggesting there wasn’t. It was obvious to even the dead and blind. He is a registered Democrat and outspoken against Trump, he’s known for it.

No impartial and competent moderator would have asked Trump about white supremacy when there are left wing groups destroying American cities.

No impartial and competent moderator would peddle the much debunked myth “very fine people” hoax and forming a question around it.

No impartial and competent moderator would openly mock the president joining in with the Democratic nominee.

No impartial and competent moderator would debate one on one with the President about climate change. It’s not his place to.

No impartial and competent moderator would allow Biden to avoid the direct question on packing the Supreme Court... twice.

It was a sham, and you should try a bit honesty now and again. It’s refreshing.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 10:25 - Oct 1 with 2760 viewsDr_Parnassus

Tucker, as usual, knocks it out of the park with his summary.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 10:36 - Oct 1 with 2756 viewsCatullus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 10:23 - Oct 1 by Dr_Parnassus

Wow.

Are you suggesting there was no bias by Wallace? Don’t be so daft, there is very few people suggesting there wasn’t. It was obvious to even the dead and blind. He is a registered Democrat and outspoken against Trump, he’s known for it.

No impartial and competent moderator would have asked Trump about white supremacy when there are left wing groups destroying American cities.

No impartial and competent moderator would peddle the much debunked myth “very fine people” hoax and forming a question around it.

No impartial and competent moderator would openly mock the president joining in with the Democratic nominee.

No impartial and competent moderator would debate one on one with the President about climate change. It’s not his place to.

No impartial and competent moderator would allow Biden to avoid the direct question on packing the Supreme Court... twice.

I disagree about the climate change point, it's something people want to know about.

The rest I pretty much agree about though I've missed something along the way, what is the "fine people" stuff about?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 10:55 - Oct 1 with 2740 viewsProfessor

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 10:36 - Oct 1 by Catullus

I disagree about the climate change point, it's something people want to know about.

The rest I pretty much agree about though I've missed something along the way, what is the "fine people" stuff about?

https://www.politifact.com/article/2019/apr/26/context-trumps-very-fine-people-b

It's a quote being used out of context that Trump supported alt-right groups in relation to someone being killed in Charlottesville. In context he does not. Poor choice of words but certainly not support.
Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 11:10 - Oct 1 with 2727 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 10:36 - Oct 1 by Catullus

I agree he should have been asked, I disagree he should have taken up the part of debater, that’s Biden’s remit, not Wallace’s. He couldn’t hide his allegiance and got involved far more than a moderator should have.

If he was to do that to Trump then he should have done that to Biden when he was avoiding the questions on packing the court (for obvious reasons).

The “fine people” is one of the main stream media’s hoaxes where they cut Trump’s answers to make it sound like he was supporting white supremacists (their usual trick), where in fact he was emphatically denouncing then. Biden has continually kept up the hoax by mentioning it at every given opportunity - Chris Wallace also took it upon himself to use the fake quote as part of his question, it was horrendous.

What Trump said was:-

“Racism is evil. And those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.”

He went on to say that the group wasn’t all made up of these people and there were people there protesting peacefully at the removal of a statue. There were fine people on both sides.

The following day he said:-

“I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists, because they should be condemned totally.”.

So this continual narrative that the democrats and the MSN want to paint by continually asking him about it is why he doesn’t want to play into their hands by continually answering. It’s giving legitimacy to the question. However not answering it and playing their game also gives them the result they want - which is why Wallace asked him.

Shameful.

Login to get fewer ads

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 11:10 - Oct 1 with 2726 viewsGwyn737

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 10:23 - Oct 1 by Dr_Parnassus

Wow.

Yes, I can see how Wallace's bias is being called out in this instance.

Can you see the irony in you calling for impartiality then sharing a link to Tucker Carlson?
Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 11:16 - Oct 1 with 2721 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 11:10 - Oct 1 by Gwyn737

Yes, I can see how Wallace's bias is being called out in this instance.

Can you see the irony in you calling for impartiality then sharing a link to Tucker Carlson?

No, I don’t see the irony. Wallace’s whole job was to remain fair and impartial, he failed miserably.

Of course Tucker is Republican, but I am able to spot bias and untruths.

What he says is spot on.

What do you disagree with that he said exactly? He gave an incredibly fair synopsis and analysis from a Republican point of view. Views aren’t invalid because they are from Republicans, you have to counter a point rather than just point to what views he aligns with.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 11:37 - Oct 1 with 2695 viewsGwyn737

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 11:16 - Oct 1 by Dr_Parnassus

No, I don’t see the irony. Wallace’s whole job was to remain fair and impartial, he failed miserably.

Of course Tucker is Republican, but I am able to spot bias and untruths.

What he says is spot on.

What do you disagree with that he said exactly? He gave an incredibly fair synopsis and analysis from a Republican point of view. Views aren’t invalid because they are from Republicans, you have to counter a point rather than just point to what views he aligns with.

If you're saying (and I think you are) that he's presenting it from a Republican standpoint then I accept that. It's probably the most moderate I've seen him as some of his stuff boarders on the comedic. Perhaps he's a bit worried?

Which of his bias and untruths did you spot?
Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 11:40 - Oct 1 with 2691 viewsDJack

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 00:03 - Oct 1 by Kerouac

No, you're right, fair play.
I apologise.

I thought I remembered you from that thread but the reason why I remembered your post is because you said something sensible;

"Facts, evidence and proof sadly don't count for much in politics these days.

Perception is vital though."

Sorry Joe.

Well done K.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 11:42 - Oct 1 with 2690 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 11:37 - Oct 1 by Gwyn737

If you're saying (and I think you are) that he's presenting it from a Republican standpoint then I accept that. It's probably the most moderate I've seen him as some of his stuff boarders on the comedic. Perhaps he's a bit worried?

Which of his bias and untruths did you spot?

None, what he said was spot on.

Tucker Carlson is one of the most effective people in political media. His analysis of situations is outstanding time and time again.

If you haven’t listened to it then I highly recommend it. By all means of you think his political allegiances have caused him to say something inaccurate then stick it on here, but I’m sure you will find it as accurate as I do.

The only thing he didn’t touch upon was Wallace, but that may be because they are colleagues.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2020 11:56]

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 12:14 - Oct 1 with 2662 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 21:30 - Sep 30 by Professor

Only on the likes of Breitbart. Every other media source suggests Trump lied, misinformed and exaggerated to a far greater extent. Not that Biden did
not say a few porkies either. But to suggest Biden was more dishonest is laughable and one eyed.

Perhaps you could do me the favour of pointing out these media sources that lists the President's lies, misinformation and exaggerations so that I can see the fact checking that took place?
As I have the fact checking of Bidens lies, all 33 of them.
Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 13:26 - Oct 1 with 2625 viewsKilkennyjack

Go Sleepy Joe go ...,

Beware of the Risen People

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 13:27 - Oct 1 with 2624 viewsKilkennyjack

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 14:28 - Oct 1 with 2592 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 13:26 - Oct 1 by Kilkennyjack

Go Sleepy Joe go ...,

Yawn.

Why don’t you put forward some decent political debate? Of course Biden won the CNN poll, it’s CNN. They offered odds on who would win the CNN debate poll prior to the debate, it was 2/9 Biden.

I take as much notice of that as I do the Spanish poll which showed Trump won by a landslide.

Of course he didn’t. Neither did really.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:15 - Oct 1 with 2551 viewsLohengrin

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 14:28 - Oct 1 by Dr_Parnassus

Yawn.

Why don’t you put forward some decent political debate? Of course Biden won the CNN poll, it’s CNN. They offered odds on who would win the CNN debate poll prior to the debate, it was 2/9 Biden.

I take as much notice of that as I do the Spanish poll which showed Trump won by a landslide.

Of course he didn’t. Neither did really.

I was listening again recently to a recording of a debate from 1976 between Enoch Powell and Michael Foot on the relative merits of a free market versus a planned economy. Both supremely educated and well-mannered, both prepared to concede a point well-made by their opponent, both displaying mastery of their respective themes. Intellectual fencing of the highest order.

Now not to labour a point I’ve made a hundred times on here about the degeneration of Ideas in the public square but by comparison the Trump/Biden debate was like watching two slow and particularly trying children way past their bedtime.

Intelligent people on both sides of the Atlantic have to be looking at the debacles of recent years and thinking ‘so that’s representative democracy, what else have you got!’

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:24 - Oct 1 with 2537 viewsGwyn737

Lots of chat doing the rounds in the media about how to improve the quality of the next debate.

One idea that seems to be gathering momentum is the use of the mute button. I reckon that would be more trouble than it's worth. Firstly, they're close enough to shout each other down anyway, and secondly one side can say their voices were drowned out.

Doesn't matter which side you're on, you want to hear the voice of your preferred candidate (assuming you have one).

Small electric shocks for interrupting?
Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 17:41 - Oct 1 with 2500 viewsHighjack

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:15 - Oct 1 by Lohengrin

I was listening again recently to a recording of a debate from 1976 between Enoch Powell and Michael Foot on the relative merits of a free market versus a planned economy. Both supremely educated and well-mannered, both prepared to concede a point well-made by their opponent, both displaying mastery of their respective themes. Intellectual fencing of the highest order.

Now not to labour a point I’ve made a hundred times on here about the degeneration of Ideas in the public square but by comparison the Trump/Biden debate was like watching two slow and particularly trying children way past their bedtime.

Intelligent people on both sides of the Atlantic have to be looking at the debacles of recent years and thinking ‘so that’s representative democracy, what else have you got!’

It’s much easier just to dismiss Enoch as a massive racist and Foot as an evil commie rather than listen to what they’ve got to say and judge it on their merits. It’s the modern way. Then we wonder why we end up with bona fide morons like Trump and Biden.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 17:45 - Oct 1 with 2499 viewsHighjack

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 16:24 - Oct 1 by Gwyn737

Lots of chat doing the rounds in the media about how to improve the quality of the next debate.

One idea that seems to be gathering momentum is the use of the mute button. I reckon that would be more trouble than it's worth. Firstly, they're close enough to shout each other down anyway, and secondly one side can say their voices were drowned out.

Doesn't matter which side you're on, you want to hear the voice of your preferred candidate (assuming you have one).

Small electric shocks for interrupting?

Perhaps it’s too much to ask that these two alleged adults can learn to use some restraint.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 18:01 - Oct 1 with 2490 viewsKerouac

Good analysis of what took place...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 19:11 - Oct 1 with 2441 viewsGwyn737

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 18:01 - Oct 1 by Kerouac

Good analysis of what took place...

Thank you - that was excellent.

I’ll be really interested to see if the polling reforms turn out to be more accurate than 2016. They seem to be quite confident in the changes but you never know.
Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 19:14 - Oct 1 with 2440 viewsKilkennyjack

I remember those days.
Relatively still post war i guess, so real enthusiasm for a better future. Energised debate.

Question is - why has it become so very bad ?

Is it because the MSM/press destroys everyone who stands for public office - think Mrs Clinton and Comrade Nicola - and so sensible people think, this is not for me and my family. Feck that.
So we end up with a bunch of chumps like Johnson and Trump.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 21:49 - Oct 1 with 2383 viewsDr_Parnassus

It really was a bad watch. I feared as much in my OP that it would turn into a Social Media slagging match as opposed to a decent political debate. Unfortunately that transpired to be accurate.

I do wonder however if this lack of ability to exchange ideas has stemmed from the modern University's which has then shaped our modern culture of intolerance and fear of the oppositions opinion. Unfortunately those normal kids going into these campuses seem to be coming out the other side hardened lefties.

These Universities are now sanitised from diverse thought, full of safe spaces and group think. Ideas aren’t allowed to be aired and many don’t even allow certain speakers at the campus, if they are booked then they are blocked by the far left students... and sometimes even the lecturers.

Universities should be a hotbed if discussion, diverse thought and open discussion - currently they are the opposite and it’s having an affect on society as a whole. Again I point to this board as a prime example, those debates weren’t anything wildly different to what we see on here.

Refusal to debate, preference to abuse or attack character, the other side must be the enemy or evil. I was called a racist for not supporting a Marxist organisation the other day and explaining why I didn’t in great detail (which had nothing to do with race). These cheap attacks and lack of willing to discuss politics is exactly what we saw.

The Democrats and media have probably spent more time in the last 6 months trying to dig any kind of dirt in order to make it into something it isn’t or completely fabricate all together than actually working on their policies and improving their goals.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024