Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? 18:06 - Oct 1 with 2432 viewsKeithHaynes

Personally would love to hear if your opinions are changing or are they as they were, or is he just persona non grata, no redemption.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 19:17 - Oct 1 with 1307 viewsonehunglow

I am prejudiced,Mr Haynes and cannot offer an objective opinion .

That said...

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 19:34 - Oct 1 with 1297 viewsCatullus

I've been critical but he deserves more time and the chance to learn from his mistakes. Lets face it, even very experienced managers get things wrong and Coops is in his first senior role.

My biggest complaint still is substitutions. It's his poorest area for me.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 19:39 - Oct 1 with 1289 viewstrampie

Cooper is doing well so far, I probably would have picked Jayne Ludlow the Welsh women's coach, but Cooper is doing well with what he has got he has picked a 5-3-2 formation to get his better players on the park and so far it's going well, it will be interesting to see if there is any comings or goings between now and the end of this transfer window, I hope no goings and one in, a centre forward, come January we will all have a better idea how Cooper is doing taking both the current season and last season into consideration.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 19:59 - Oct 1 with 1271 viewsReslovenSwan1

Cooper is actually on a very good run. Apart from an aberation v Luton only a hot Brentford team has been able to beat Swansea since the formation change. Players once accused of going backwards under Cooper are now stalwarts in Roberts, Grimes and Bidwell. Cabango at 19 has been eased in seemlessly and the once shakey Guehi is a rock. At the same time the wages have gone south. Not an easy trick to pull off,. Add to that the transfer fee credit of £3m for Celina and the removal of serial underperformers McKay and Asoro with their wages offset somewhat. Declan is the only remaining misfit looking for home. and clerly not at the training ground. I hope he has a good agent. Morgan gibbs looks to be another good loan signing. Cooper has to incorporate Peterson and Benda to fullfill their potential.

Wise sage since Toshack era

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 20:11 - Oct 1 with 1258 viewsBadlands

We have become a very boring and predictable side with a couple of outstanding individuals making the difference.
He seems to need you players who have been well coached to come in regularly but few players improve.
Very quick to blame others for failings but takes the paise when things go well.
Much of last season was a*s* clinchingly boring to watch.
Not a fan.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 20:12 - Oct 1 with 1257 viewsFireboy2

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 19:34 - Oct 1 by Catullus

I've been critical but he deserves more time and the chance to learn from his mistakes. Lets face it, even very experienced managers get things wrong and Coops is in his first senior role.

My biggest complaint still is substitutions. It's his poorest area for me.

Perfectly explained Cat, that's exactly how I feel.

Give him time and hopefully he will learn to trust his subs.
How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 20:19 - Oct 1 with 1253 viewsKilkennyjack

Once he realised 3 centre backs helps, and Celina and Andre are not wingers then its looked better.

Championship play offs was great.

Not playing Ben in the away play off game remains a big mistake. Clean sheet at home.

Cooper was not my choice but he has done well.

Smith helping Grimes.

Beware of the Risen People

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 20:27 - Oct 1 with 1245 viewspencoedjack

Doing an excellent job under very difficult circumstances.

Done better than Potter with a far weaker squad.

Does not deserve the grief he gets from many of the Swans support.
Login to get fewer ads

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 20:39 - Oct 1 with 1236 viewsKeithHaynes

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 19:39 - Oct 1 by trampie

Cooper is doing well so far, I probably would have picked Jayne Ludlow the Welsh women's coach, but Cooper is doing well with what he has got he has picked a 5-3-2 formation to get his better players on the park and so far it's going well, it will be interesting to see if there is any comings or goings between now and the end of this transfer window, I hope no goings and one in, a centre forward, come January we will all have a better idea how Cooper is doing taking both the current season and last season into consideration.

That’s a really good shout, Jane instead of Tatey as a start would work for me.
Ground breaking.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 20:41 - Oct 1 with 1234 viewsItchySphincter

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 20:27 - Oct 1 by pencoedjack

Doing an excellent job under very difficult circumstances.

Done better than Potter with a far weaker squad.

Does not deserve the grief he gets from many of the Swans support.

Jury’s our for me but if he carries on getting results I suppose he is the right man, cant say I’ve taken to him though and we really are awful to watch at times.

One thing I can’t buy into though is that we are considerably weaker than we were under Potter - how?

Potter had Ollie and a few months out of Dan James. Cooper had Brewster and Gallagher and chose not to go with Celina. Injuries aside both had Grimes, Byers, Rodon, VdH, Roberts and Naughton, and Cooper has been able to add Ayew, Guehi, Gibbs-White, Lowe, Smith - so how are we weaker?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 20:56 - Oct 1 with 1206 viewsswancity

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 20:41 - Oct 1 by ItchySphincter

Jury’s our for me but if he carries on getting results I suppose he is the right man, cant say I’ve taken to him though and we really are awful to watch at times.

One thing I can’t buy into though is that we are considerably weaker than we were under Potter - how?

Potter had Ollie and a few months out of Dan James. Cooper had Brewster and Gallagher and chose not to go with Celina. Injuries aside both had Grimes, Byers, Rodon, VdH, Roberts and Naughton, and Cooper has been able to add Ayew, Guehi, Gibbs-White, Lowe, Smith - so how are we weaker?

A few months out of Dan James ?

In fact James played in almost 40 games including 33 I think it was in League games alone. He was on fire which attracted Leeds and Man United amongst others.

Cooper has of course done very well, it’s not in doubt. I’m hoping he can keep it up as things can change rapidly in football as we know all too well.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 21:07 - Oct 1 with 1193 viewsItchySphincter

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 20:56 - Oct 1 by swancity

In fact James played in almost 40 games including 33 I think it was in League games alone. He was on fire which attracted Leeds and Man United amongst others.

Cooper has of course done very well, it’s not in doubt. I’m hoping he can keep it up as things can change rapidly in football as we know all too well.

Dan James hit form after Christmas in Potter’s season.

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 21:09 - Oct 1 with 1191 viewsItchySphincter

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 20:56 - Oct 1 by swancity

.... and anyway, regardless of our thoughts on DJ’s great season I asked how we are weaker, so?

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 21:14 - Oct 1 with 1187 viewsbuilthjack

I have been a big critic of him. Still am to a certain extent, especially where subs are concerned.
But he is working with one hand tied behind his back, with the owners who would take us to another level doing f all to support him.
So well done Cooper for doing as well as you have.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 21:35 - Oct 1 with 1167 viewsswancity

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 21:09 - Oct 1 by ItchySphincter

.... and anyway, regardless of our thoughts on DJ’s great season I asked how we are weaker, so?

It’s a matter of opinion

Both managers have done well, Cooper especially to get to 6th. My only criticism is the home record but look at the sensational away form, it really takes some believing but is hardly worthy of a mention by people like you. Why ?

I’m not interested really in which team is stronger but imo the squad under Potter was especially when you factor in the younger Nathan and Wayne. With Fer, James, Olsson, McBurnie. Plus a newly motivated MVDH.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 22:06 - Oct 1 with 1133 viewsjasper_T

DJ made 28 league starts and 5 sub appearances. His first standout game was in October in the loss at Ipswich. Injury early December and transfer drama in January meant he wasn't consistently one of the first names on the teamsheet and hitting top form until February.

Rodon by comparison made 23 starts (4 sub) despite being out injured for half the season.
How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 22:09 - Oct 1 with 1124 viewsItchySphincter

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 21:35 - Oct 1 by swancity

It’s a matter of opinion

Both managers have done well, Cooper especially to get to 6th. My only criticism is the home record but look at the sensational away form, it really takes some believing but is hardly worthy of a mention by people like you. Why ?

I’m not interested really in which team is stronger but imo the squad under Potter was especially when you factor in the younger Nathan and Wayne. With Fer, James, Olsson, McBurnie. Plus a newly motivated MVDH.

People like me?

You want to go down that route do you?

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 22:09 - Oct 1 with 1124 viewsAndyCole

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 21:35 - Oct 1 by swancity

It’s a matter of opinion

Opinions are subjective, facts are beautifully objective. The relative performances and results speak for themselves. Cooper has exceeded expectations, and continues to ride the steep learning curve with aplomb.

It's pretty clear that the opinions of the few who are always unable to accept these facts, and continue to discredit Cooper at every given opportunity, need to be seen as irrational at best. The irrational types always resort to puerile abuse and name calling. The facts speak for themselves, the quotes are there to be seen.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 22:23 - Oct 1 with 1106 viewsItchySphincter

We were having a decent football conversation I thought.

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 22:29 - Oct 1 with 1086 viewsNotLoyal

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 22:23 - Oct 1 by ItchySphincter

We were having a decent football conversation I thought.

And so it should remain. For me cooper is soulless, uninspiring and a grey man. But then I’m just a football fan.
And seemingly an intelligent hard working young coach with a philosophy that will see him managing well above this level in time.
Hopefully here.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 22:55 - Oct 1 with 1061 viewsjasper_T

Potter dropped 6 points in his final three games after the playoffs had become all but impossible (Bristol City on 69pts were 9 ahead). Cooper dropped only 2 having everything to play for, Cardiff were 6th on 64 and we played Forest next game who were 5th with 69 (6 ahead). People look at the final points haul and/or position to create their own beautiful, objective facts and ignore important context to suit their narrative. I'll do it now;

In Potter's season Cooper's 70 point tally would have seen us finish 8th. You have to go back to the 12/13 season for the last time it would have been enough to make the playoffs.
How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 23:39 - Oct 1 with 1038 viewsItchySphincter

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 22:55 - Oct 1 by jasper_T

Potter dropped 6 points in his final three games after the playoffs had become all but impossible (Bristol City on 69pts were 9 ahead). Cooper dropped only 2 having everything to play for, Cardiff were 6th on 64 and we played Forest next game who were 5th with 69 (6 ahead). People look at the final points haul and/or position to create their own beautiful, objective facts and ignore important context to suit their narrative. I'll do it now;

In Potter's season Cooper's 70 point tally would have seen us finish 8th. You have to go back to the 12/13 season for the last time it would have been enough to make the playoffs.

League tables don’t lie so I suppose that could be interpreted as the league was more competitive in Cooper’s season, but that is an excellent point very well made.

I would also add, being as we are comparing Cooper with Potter, that Potter took on a club in crisis - ravaged by relegation and on a downward trajectory and whilst his season was peppered with errors it was on the whole a decent entertaining season and certainly gave Cooper something to build on.

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 23:40 - Oct 1 with 1035 viewsTreforys_Jack

Shocking home form clouds everything to be honest, it was so dull, uninspiring and just plain boring that it overshadows his overall achievements. He is doing okay but just as others have said previously he needs to look at his substitutions and game management when things are going wrong.
Too many teams played exactly the same way last season at the Liberty and came away with the result.
I would mark him a solid B.
How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 00:22 - Oct 2 with 1023 viewsjasper_T

For me it's tough to get over the six month period from September to March when we weren't beating any good teams or scoring many goals. It was a long period of being very consistently below average in a painfully average division. We didn't lose many either. But it wasn't inspiring viewing by a long shot. We were slipping down the table, flittering between 9th and 11th as we entered March.

Lockdown really rescued our season and took the legs out from under a lot of other clubs. We beat Reading and Bristol in the run-in, who were having decent seasons but didn't come back from the break with any sort of form (both managed only 2 wins and 2 draws in their 9 games). Perhaps we should expect Cooper as a manager with tournament experience to do well in opening stages when everyone is fresh, and struggle more with sustained form over a full season. Potter for sure offered more variety in ideas and approaches (not all good) and more emphasis on periodisation and pacing players out for a long campaign in training.

We'll see if the pattern repeats.
How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 00:46 - Oct 2 with 1009 viewsTreforys_Jack

How is Steve Cooper doing as Swansea City manager ? on 00:22 - Oct 2 by jasper_T

For me it's tough to get over the six month period from September to March when we weren't beating any good teams or scoring many goals. It was a long period of being very consistently below average in a painfully average division. We didn't lose many either. But it wasn't inspiring viewing by a long shot. We were slipping down the table, flittering between 9th and 11th as we entered March.

Lockdown really rescued our season and took the legs out from under a lot of other clubs. We beat Reading and Bristol in the run-in, who were having decent seasons but didn't come back from the break with any sort of form (both managed only 2 wins and 2 draws in their 9 games). Perhaps we should expect Cooper as a manager with tournament experience to do well in opening stages when everyone is fresh, and struggle more with sustained form over a full season. Potter for sure offered more variety in ideas and approaches (not all good) and more emphasis on periodisation and pacing players out for a long campaign in training.

We'll see if the pattern repeats.

Fair post.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024