Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aberfan - 21st Oct 1966 10:13 - Oct 21 with 419 viewsbritferry

54 years ago today

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Aberfan - 21st Oct 1966 on 10:18 - Oct 21 with 415 viewsCatullus

They're worried it could happen again,

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/19/coal-tip-inspections-under-way-a

Some lessons, even the most awful, painful ones, are slow to be learned.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Aberfan - 21st Oct 1966 on 10:23 - Oct 21 with 408 viewsbritferry

Just found this, very moving

144 died, 114 children... and the b'stards from NCB took money out of the fund to clear the tips

Aberfan - 21st Oct 1966 on 10:25 - Oct 21 with 406 viewsonehunglow

Oh God.Remember this all too well.
I was working in the Abbey and was en route back home when we heard the news. Thought it was Aberavon as we d never heard of Aberfan so we were puzzled and worried.

On getting home,my Ma was in tears ,unusual for her, and my Dad's face was grim like I never saw before.

What followed as regards the Coal Board ,Alf Robbins and the unbelievable lack of basic humanity was bad enough but the way the Fund was used by the Coal Board was worse.

Black Day in every way

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Aberfan - 21st Oct 1966 on 10:40 - Oct 21 with 397 viewsbritferry

perhaps the most poignant picture...

Aberfan - 21st Oct 1966 on 10:54 - Oct 21 with 393 viewsKeithHaynes

Here’s another RIP

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Aberfan - 21st Oct 1966 on 11:01 - Oct 21 with 389 viewsonehunglow

Cant watch those clips sorry.

Britferry.

Im not making political point here butt the Labour government of the time had much to answer for. Here was a working class community suffering loss of a whole generation having to pay for repairs. Robbins famously insouchiant to all this .

Aberfan - 21st Oct 1966 on 12:36 - Oct 21 with 353 viewstrampie

https://baarbaarathesheep.wordpress.com/tag/free-wales-army/

I too can't watch the videos, a disaster that shocked just not Wales and the UK but the World as so many young children lost their lives.

It was a shocking disaster and shocking behaviour by the powers that be, the FWA had to intervene on behalf of the people, the residents gave one of the leaders a gold watch as a thank you.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Aberfan - 21st Oct 1966 on 12:42 - Oct 21 with 348 viewsonehunglow

Morning tramp
Seem to recall Robbins going to a Dinner not long it. The Enquiry half the NCB wholly responsible through gross incompetence.

No prosecutions. The Fund money used to pay for clearing the tips.

I can think of few greater insults

Login to get fewer ads

Aberfan - 21st Oct 1966 on 12:52 - Oct 21 with 341 viewstrampie

It's all documented in the link I put up Perch, they were only going to give the families £500 a head, the FWA intervened and demanded 10 times that, 50 of them marched through Merthyr in uniform the authorities knew it was no joke, they told the assembled press if their demands were not met in a week's time then a named Government building was going to be blown up and if no coin a week later another one and so on and so on.
The authorities gave into the demands of the FWA within days.

Just read about one of the leaders of the parents association who unfortunately lost a child in the disaster said the parents would not have received a penny if it was not for the FWA, too bad init.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2020 13:31]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Aberfan - 21st Oct 1966 on 13:09 - Oct 21 with 326 viewsonehunglow

I hate to say this tramps ,and if Keith wants to delete my comments then fair enough BUT,had this tragedy occurred within 50 miles of London then the reaction,outrage and indignation would have been palpable for all time.
That it happened in Wales and the valleys meant it wasn't on the scale that it should have been as Wales is far enough away to be irrelevant to most London based politicians.

I'll leave it there ,I think.

Aberfan - 21st Oct 1966 on 13:25 - Oct 21 with 321 viewstrampie

What you just said Perch is making a case for independence.

Aberfan - 21st Oct 1966 on 13:36 - Oct 21 with 311 viewsonehunglow

Thought I was going to leave it there..

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024