Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Transport for Wales 08:30 - Oct 22 with 1915 viewsbritferry

Going to be re-nationalised? Will be great news for Cardiff
[Post edited 22 Oct 2020 8:30]

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Transport for Wales on 15:13 - Oct 23 with 515 viewstrampie

Transport for Wales on 14:46 - Oct 23 by Boundy

I never said they were , at any point .

Oh you don't think Westminster politicians are better than the ones in the Senedd, fair enough.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Transport for Wales on 16:00 - Oct 23 with 495 viewspencoedjack

Transport for Wales on 13:03 - Oct 23 by trampie

Cardiff airport failed when run by the private sector the Welsh Government saved it.

In 2018-19, the Airport made a loss of £18.5 million, almost three times the loss in 2017-18 (£6.6 million) and more than six times the 2014-15 loss (£3.0 million).

All they have done is cost the tax payer.
Transport for Wales on 16:12 - Oct 23 with 486 viewstrampie

Transport for Wales on 16:00 - Oct 23 by pencoedjack

In 2018-19, the Airport made a loss of £18.5 million, almost three times the loss in 2017-18 (£6.6 million) and more than six times the 2014-15 loss (£3.0 million).

It's worth £250m to the economy, there are hundreds if not over a thousand jobs reliant on the place, they couldn't leave the private sectors failure close the place.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 16:14]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Transport for Wales on 16:39 - Oct 23 with 475 viewspencoedjack

Transport for Wales on 16:12 - Oct 23 by trampie

It's worth £250m to the economy, there are hundreds if not over a thousand jobs reliant on the place, they couldn't leave the private sectors failure close the place.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 16:14]

As I said I will continue to pay taxes to make bigger losses year on year.

https://seneddresearch.blog/2020/03/06/cardiff-airport-is-its-financial-performa

I can imagine drippy Drakeford in negotiations with airline giants to try & bring business to Wales.
Transport for Wales on 16:47 - Oct 23 with 467 viewstrampie

Transport for Wales on 16:39 - Oct 23 by pencoedjack

https://seneddresearch.blog/2020/03/06/cardiff-airport-is-its-financial-performa

I can imagine drippy Drakeford in negotiations with airline giants to try & bring business to Wales.

The alternative is closure same for some rail networks.

Transport for Wales on 18:20 - Oct 23 with 454 viewsBoundy

The headline reads as if we should have more than one , they would if they could

Wales' only international airport is being loaned more taxpayers' money.

Cardiff Airport could already borrow up to £38.2m of Welsh Government cash - but that has now been extended by £21.2m.

It brings the total amount of borrowing the airport can draw down to more than than the £52m Welsh ministers paid in 2013 to buy it.

The Welsh Conservatives said the airport should be sold back to the private sector.

It comes after a senior official told a Welsh Assembly committee that, under the way the airport is currently run, it may always need public support.

In a statement to assembly members, Economy Minister Ken Skates said plans for the airport to boost passenger growth are hampered "by the disproportionate costs that smaller airports across the UK face"

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Transport for Wales on 19:10 - Oct 23 with 450 viewsAndy1300

Transport for Wales on 11:58 - Oct 23 by raynor94

Of course there is, Cardiff was a better airport than Bristol, but allowed itself to be outbid for Easy jet and Ryanair.

It should be booming.

Location is a problem

Number 1 team in Wales

Transport for Wales on 19:14 - Oct 23 with 442 viewsAndy1300

Transport for Wales on 16:39 - Oct 23 by pencoedjack

He couldn’t negotiate the junction at the end of the road effectively

Number 1 team in Wales

Login to get fewer ads

Transport for Wales on 20:02 - Oct 23 with 428 viewsCatullus

Transport for Wales on 16:00 - Oct 23 by pencoedjack

If it's making those kinds of losses, how does it repay the loans?

The airport would have been better off plonked by Bridgend with a motorway link and while I'm at it the Welsh national stadium should have been built there and a rail hub put there too.

Everything that has happened has been done by the Senedd to bolster Cardiff's economy at the xpense of the rest of Wales.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Transport for Wales on 20:24 - Oct 23 with 421 viewsAndy1300

Transport for Wales on 20:02 - Oct 23 by Catullus

The airport would have been better off plonked by Bridgend with a motorway link and while I'm at it the Welsh national stadium should have been built there and a rail hub put there too.

Everything that has happened has been done by the Senedd to bolster Cardiff's economy at the xpense of the rest of Wales.

And always will be.

Number 1 team in Wales

Transport for Wales on 14:44 - Oct 24 with 372 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Perhaps the Welsh assembly will now push for investment on the mainline between Swansea and the Sevetn Tunnel. When the inter city 125 was introduced the journey time between Swansea and London was 2 hours 43 minutes. In 2018 is was 3 hours this was despite huge track improvements between Bristol and Paddington which resulted in the train being able to travel at 125 mph all the way from Bristol Parkway to the outskirts of London.
Meanwhile speed limits on the Swansea Severn Tunnel has reduced to 70mph in some places and even the fastest speed is 90 mph.

The introduction of the new Hitachi train has reduced the travel time by about 10 minutes, which is still slower than when the inter city 125 was introduced, this is despite, the track improvements and the new trains being able to accelerate quick and having better braking.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Transport for Wales on 14:50 - Oct 24 with 370 viewsmajorraglan

I’d smash a big dual carriageway or motorway in to the airport and I’d sort out the Brynglas tunnels/Newport while I was at it. The airport could then be developed as a freight as well as passenger hub.

I’d also create an effective public transports system in the Swansea Bay Area, trams, lack railway etc.
Transport for Wales on 15:10 - Oct 24 with 364 viewspencoedjack

Transport for Wales on 14:50 - Oct 24 by majorraglan

I’d smash a big dual carriageway or motorway in to the airport and I’d sort out the Brynglas tunnels/Newport while I was at it. The airport could then be developed as a freight as well as passenger hub.

I’d also create an effective public transports system in the Swansea Bay Area, trams, lack railway etc.

They have improved the road between the A48 & Barry (5 mile line) & the plan is to have a motorway junction just before Llantristant. (additional costs to that of the airport)

Cardiff airport is 20 mins away Bristol 1 hour for me, I will always pick the most convenient flight times whilst booking a holiday, Bristol has far more options so we normally fly from there.

The Brynglas tunnels will never be sorted whilst Welsh labour are in charge.
Transport for Wales on 16:23 - Oct 24 with 348 viewscontroversial_jack

Transport for Wales on 15:10 - Oct 24 by pencoedjack

They have improved the road between the A48 & Barry (5 mile line) & the plan is to have a motorway junction just before Llantristant. (additional costs to that of the airport)

Cardiff airport is 20 mins away Bristol 1 hour for me, I will always pick the most convenient flight times whilst booking a holiday, Bristol has far more options so we normally fly from there.

The Brynglas tunnels will never be sorted whilst Welsh labour are in charge.

They have been thinking of that for the last 10 years

5 mile lane is off the A48, it needs to be from the M4
Transport for Wales on 17:31 - Oct 24 with 330 viewspencoedjack

Transport for Wales on 16:23 - Oct 24 by controversial_jack

They have been thinking of that for the last 10 years

5 mile lane is off the A48, it needs to be from the M4

It’s being built I believe there is a new junction opposite 5 mile lane which will go through Pendoylan to the M4.
Transport for Wales on 17:46 - Oct 24 with 325 viewsBarrySwan

The airport is in Rhoose not Cardiff and of courses is formerly an RAF station.

I'd scrap the Bay of Plenty institution in an instant but it didn't plonk an airport anywhere, to be fair.

Whether it should have overpaid by £millions to purchase and inevitably subsidise an operation which I doubt whether many of us would let the incompetent fools in the Welsh assembly run anyway is another matter.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2020 17:51]
Transport for Wales on 18:24 - Oct 24 with 308 viewsbritferry

Its where it is thanks to WWII, same as Heathrow, the yanks built that

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Transport for Wales on 19:05 - Oct 24 with 295 viewspencoedjack

Transport for Wales on 17:46 - Oct 24 by BarrySwan

The airport is in Rhoose not Cardiff and of courses is formerly an RAF station.

I'd scrap the Bay of Plenty institution in an instant but it didn't plonk an airport anywhere, to be fair.

Whether it should have overpaid by £millions to purchase and inevitably subsidise an operation which I doubt whether many of us would let the incompetent fools in the Welsh assembly run anyway is another matter.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2020 17:51]

The RAF airport is in St Athan about 5 miles away from Rhoose.
Transport for Wales on 19:09 - Oct 24 with 291 viewstrampie

Transport for Wales on 19:05 - Oct 24 by pencoedjack

The RAF airport is in St Athan about 5 miles away from Rhoose.

RAF Rhoose

Transport for Wales on 19:37 - Oct 24 with 283 viewspencoedjack

Transport for Wales on 19:09 - Oct 24 by trampie

RAF Rhoose

No RAF St Athan a totally different place to the airport in Rhoose

Both have separate runaways
Transport for Wales on 22:14 - Oct 24 with 272 viewsBoundy

Transport for Wales on 19:37 - Oct 24 by pencoedjack

and both built at different times albeit within a decade of each other .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Transport for Wales on 00:22 - Oct 25 with 263 viewstrampie

Transport for Wales on 19:37 - Oct 24 by pencoedjack

RAF Rhoose was a different airfield to RAF St Athan, RAF Rhoose became Cardiff airport.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2020 0:24]

Transport for Wales on 08:39 - Oct 25 with 236 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Transport for Wales on 18:24 - Oct 24 by britferry

Its where it is thanks to WWII, same as Heathrow, the yanks built that

Construction on Rhoose started mid 1941. America did not enter WWII until December 1941. It was not built by the Americans.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Transport for Wales on 08:51 - Oct 25 with 232 viewsCatullus

Oh for gawds sake, it's called Cardiff/Wales airport, I thought I was pedantic!

I know the airport was already there but it didn't have to be developed into an international airport, it didn't have to be bought by the Welsh people for the advantage of Cardiff.

We use Cardiff airport because it's always quiet and we try to get early morning flights because the roads are quiet too. While quiet is an advantage to those of us who use it, it's why it's losing money.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Transport for Wales on 11:30 - Oct 25 with 209 viewsBarrySwan

Transport for Wales on 08:51 - Oct 25 by Catullus

Oh for gawds sake, it's called Cardiff/Wales airport, I thought I was pedantic!

I know the airport was already there but it didn't have to be developed into an international airport, it didn't have to be bought by the Welsh people for the advantage of Cardiff.

We use Cardiff airport because it's always quiet and we try to get early morning flights because the roads are quiet too. While quiet is an advantage to those of us who use it, it's why it's losing money.

There were 3 RAF airfields within a hop skip and jump of each other in the Vale of Glamorgan, Rhoose, Llandow and St Athan.

Rhoose and St Athan remain in operation Llandow is an industrial estate and racing circuit.

Its true to say that Rhoose ( Its only called Cardiff Wales airport for wider geographical recognition) ) was allowed to be developed as a commercial airport by the then powers to be after the RAF base at Pengam Moors ( which is in Cardiff of course) was deemed not to be suitable for conversion and expansion to a commercial civilian airport after the war.

Whether the location at Rhoose was the most suitable and wise choice of siting a commercial airport is a debatable point.

My own view is that if there was a reasonable choice of destinations and competitive pricing of both holidays and flights from there it would be as busy as any other competitive regional airport.

Whilst transport links are being upgraded all the way up to the M4 at junction 33 I can only assume that anyone from the Cardiff, Valleys, Swansea or West Wales areas have never travelled to Bristol airport if they are moaning about the roads to Rhoose.

As pointed out in the enclosed quotation box the suggestion by some that it is difficult to travel by road to Rhoose airport even with the current roads links is complete and utter nonsense, its a piece of cake getting there with none of the traffic problems of getting to Bristol or the London airports.

Although as also previously highlighted the busier the airport may get the more congestion that can be predicted to occur, I would suggest that there's plenty of slack there to take up for any foreseeable future expansion or success plus bearing in mind the current and proposed road upgrades in progress at the moment.

Travelling by car is easy, travelling by train and hopping on the free frequent bus from Cardiff Central almost as easy, Getting off the train at Rhoose from down West is also easy enough however its a bit unfortunate that the newish train station at Rhoose is at the end of the Runway in the village and would need a short taxi ride to get to the terminal.

The only thing holding back Rhoose airport is lack of ccompetitvely priced flights or package holidays or other popular destinations.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2020 11:36]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024