Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Transport for Wales 08:30 - Oct 22 with 1899 viewsbritferry

Going to be re-nationalised? Will be great news for Cardiff
[Post edited 22 Oct 2020 8:30]

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Transport for Wales on 22:09 - Oct 25 with 128 viewsCatullus

Transport for Wales on 11:30 - Oct 25 by BarrySwan

There were 3 RAF airfields within a hop skip and jump of each other in the Vale of Glamorgan, Rhoose, Llandow and St Athan.

Rhoose and St Athan remain in operation Llandow is an industrial estate and racing circuit.

Its true to say that Rhoose ( Its only called Cardiff Wales airport for wider geographical recognition) ) was allowed to be developed as a commercial airport by the then powers to be after the RAF base at Pengam Moors ( which is in Cardiff of course) was deemed not to be suitable for conversion and expansion to a commercial civilian airport after the war.

Whether the location at Rhoose was the most suitable and wise choice of siting a commercial airport is a debatable point.

My own view is that if there was a reasonable choice of destinations and competitive pricing of both holidays and flights from there it would be as busy as any other competitive regional airport.

Whilst transport links are being upgraded all the way up to the M4 at junction 33 I can only assume that anyone from the Cardiff, Valleys, Swansea or West Wales areas have never travelled to Bristol airport if they are moaning about the roads to Rhoose.

As pointed out in the enclosed quotation box the suggestion by some that it is difficult to travel by road to Rhoose airport even with the current roads links is complete and utter nonsense, its a piece of cake getting there with none of the traffic problems of getting to Bristol or the London airports.

Although as also previously highlighted the busier the airport may get the more congestion that can be predicted to occur, I would suggest that there's plenty of slack there to take up for any foreseeable future expansion or success plus bearing in mind the current and proposed road upgrades in progress at the moment.

Travelling by car is easy, travelling by train and hopping on the free frequent bus from Cardiff Central almost as easy, Getting off the train at Rhoose from down West is also easy enough however its a bit unfortunate that the newish train station at Rhoose is at the end of the Runway in the village and would need a short taxi ride to get to the terminal.

The only thing holding back Rhoose airport is lack of ccompetitvely priced flights or package holidays or other popular destinations.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2020 11:36]

Travelling there by car is only easy because it's quiet. If your flight falls at an unfortunate time of day, rush hour to be specific, you could have problems bcause the A4232 can be a nightmare.
Bristol has had many upgrades to the roads around it and is much easier now than it was 20 years back.
Why are transport links being upgraded as far as J33? Because Wales stops at Cardiff? It does as far as the Senedd is concerned.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024