Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Civil servant pay freeze 14:26 - Nov 20 with 1931 viewspencoedjack

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55011477

Should be split in 2 sections

The likes of (there are others)

ICU hospital staff
Hospital staff who worked in wards with COVID patients
Refuse collectors

Fully deserve a pay rise (or a bonus for 2020)

On the other hand the likes of

Teachers
Surgeons
Hospital admin staff

Who have been on full pay whilst staying at home as schools were shut for months / operations were cancelled

& the likes of

Tax office workers (& other civil servants who have worked from home) saving on travel costs

Minimum should have a pay freeze & probably should donate a % of their pay to other civil servants who fall into the 1st category.

A lot of the private sector have been on furlough on 20% less pay & will in many cases see no pay rises, these shouldn't be paying additional tax to compensate for civil servants.

The country does not have a bottomless pit of money for civil servants & scroungers.
Civil servant pay freeze on 14:35 - Nov 20 with 1504 viewsCatullus

Many hospital admin staff were at work though and 2 of my wifes colleagues have had this virus.

I just hope the politicians don't get a pay rise. If the public sector don't deserve it or it's not affordable then that applies to all civil servants and our elected public servants too.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Civil servant pay freeze on 15:06 - Nov 20 with 1490 viewspencoedjack

Civil servant pay freeze on 14:35 - Nov 20 by Catullus

Many hospital admin staff were at work though and 2 of my wifes colleagues have had this virus.

I just hope the politicians don't get a pay rise. If the public sector don't deserve it or it's not affordable then that applies to all civil servants and our elected public servants too.

At work or working? Should people have a pay rise for just turning up?

As for MP's certainly not the case in Wales & I believe Drakeford is pushing for more pretend MP's in the assembly as well ...... Decent work if you can get it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-23280375
Civil servant pay freeze on 15:16 - Nov 20 with 1477 viewsCatullus

Civil servant pay freeze on 15:06 - Nov 20 by pencoedjack

As for MP's certainly not the case in Wales & I believe Drakeford is pushing for more pretend MP's in the assembly as well ...... Decent work if you can get it.

They were working when there was anything to do. My wife worked from home for 15 weeks and apparently she was doing more than some in her office.

That's what really infuriates, politicians will tell others they can't have a pay rise but there is always room in the budget for them to dip their snouts.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Civil servant pay freeze on 15:44 - Nov 20 with 1463 viewsNeath_Jack

Civil servant pay freeze on 15:06 - Nov 20 by pencoedjack

Why should bin men have a pay rise for turning up and doing their job? You’ve been sucked right in by the social media nonsense by the looks of it.

Most nhs staff, be they surgeons, chiropractors and all the other variants, were seconded to work on Covid patients.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Civil servant pay freeze on 15:56 - Nov 20 with 1449 viewspencoedjack

Civil servant pay freeze on 15:44 - Nov 20 by Neath_Jack

Why should bin men have a pay rise for turning up and doing their job? You’ve been sucked right in by the social media nonsense by the looks of it.

Most nhs staff, be they surgeons, chiropractors and all the other variants, were seconded to work on Covid patients.

I haven't been 'sucked in by any social media nonsense' I work in the industry.

You believe orthopaedic surgeon's have been working on COVID patients? I reckon you have been sucked in by hospital staff who claim they have been busy whilst a high % have been doing nothing, a lot of these are very well paid NHS staff.

As I mentioned some hospital staff deserve pay rises or some kind of bonus for the work they put in during 2020.
Civil servant pay freeze on 16:42 - Nov 20 with 1428 viewsGwyn737

When were schools closed?
Civil servant pay freeze on 16:55 - Nov 20 with 1416 viewspencoedjack

Civil servant pay freeze on 16:42 - Nov 20 by Gwyn737

When were schools closed?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales-51947148
Civil servant pay freeze on 17:07 - Nov 20 with 1407 viewsGwyn737

Civil servant pay freeze on 16:55 - Nov 20 by pencoedjack

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales-51947148

Shut but still open for key workers children then.

Can’t speak for Wales but in my LA in England all 257 schools were open through March to July. In fact from the end of May to July an average of about 60% of children were back in school while the rest were supported in work remotely.

In addition, between March and July I was in school for 16 addition days as schools were open in the holidays (including bank holidays).

For what it’s worth, I do think teachers should have a pay freeze in these circumstances. After below inflation pay capping for 7 year, teaching staff received a decent pay increase in September.

Unfortunately the lowest paid, Teaching assistants, sen assistants, office staff, cleaners and caterers didn’t. To freeze their pay after all they’ve done this year would be scandalous.
Login to get fewer ads

Civil servant pay freeze on 17:15 - Nov 20 with 1394 viewsNeath_Jack

Civil servant pay freeze on 15:56 - Nov 20 by pencoedjack

I haven't been 'sucked in by any social media nonsense' I work in the industry.

You believe orthopaedic surgeon's have been working on COVID patients? I reckon you have been sucked in by hospital staff who claim they have been busy whilst a high % have been doing nothing, a lot of these are very well paid NHS staff.

As I mentioned some hospital staff deserve pay rises or some kind of bonus for the work they put in during 2020.

I've worked on and in hospitals since the outbreak, I know that doctors / nurses / surgeons, even chiropodists have been seconded onto this. That's not from anyone or any source other than working with those people. I don't work for, or have any personal connections with anyone who works for the NHS.

Where have you got your information from?

Onto bin men, why have you singled them out for a pay rise?

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Civil servant pay freeze on 18:13 - Nov 20 with 1358 viewsmajorraglan

Civil servant pay freeze on 17:07 - Nov 20 by Gwyn737

Shut but still open for key workers children then.

Can’t speak for Wales but in my LA in England all 257 schools were open through March to July. In fact from the end of May to July an average of about 60% of children were back in school while the rest were supported in work remotely.

In addition, between March and July I was in school for 16 addition days as schools were open in the holidays (including bank holidays).

For what it’s worth, I do think teachers should have a pay freeze in these circumstances. After below inflation pay capping for 7 year, teaching staff received a decent pay increase in September.

Unfortunately the lowest paid, Teaching assistants, sen assistants, office staff, cleaners and caterers didn’t. To freeze their pay after all they’ve done this year would be scandalous.

Some great points.
Down our way, lots of schools remained open but with skeleton staff to cater for the children of the emergency services workers. I can’t speak for the entire NHS, but in the area I am familiar with staff were redeployed to support the care of Covid patients and a whole bunch of new casual staff were brought in.

I know a few lifeguards at a swimming pool, they are Council workers and were retrained to undertake caring and home help duties. What about the police, they have been required to turn up to work, do their usual staff and police the lockdown etc.

I have family working in the NHS on both the clinical and administrative side and can say they all worked hard.I also have family who have had several months “holiday” on furlough, they have sat around doing zip while the key workers have carried on as normal. I am a key worker and worked all the way through the lockdown putting in even more hours than I normally do.
In answer to Pencoed Jack’s initial post, why not give all the key workers a rise and let those who’ve been furloughed pay a bit extra to make up for the money they’ve received over the last few months!

It’s great for the chancellor to say public sector wages are increasing while private sector wages are going down, but from 2010 public sector including our nurses and teachers took a huge hit wages were outstripped by the private sector. Whatever happens MP’s shouldn’t get a pay rise.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 18:16]
Civil servant pay freeze on 18:31 - Nov 20 with 1342 viewsNortbankboy

Civil servant pay freeze on 18:13 - Nov 20 by majorraglan

Some great points.
Down our way, lots of schools remained open but with skeleton staff to cater for the children of the emergency services workers. I can’t speak for the entire NHS, but in the area I am familiar with staff were redeployed to support the care of Covid patients and a whole bunch of new casual staff were brought in.

I know a few lifeguards at a swimming pool, they are Council workers and were retrained to undertake caring and home help duties. What about the police, they have been required to turn up to work, do their usual staff and police the lockdown etc.

I have family working in the NHS on both the clinical and administrative side and can say they all worked hard.I also have family who have had several months “holiday” on furlough, they have sat around doing zip while the key workers have carried on as normal. I am a key worker and worked all the way through the lockdown putting in even more hours than I normally do.
In answer to Pencoed Jack’s initial post, why not give all the key workers a rise and let those who’ve been furloughed pay a bit extra to make up for the money they’ve received over the last few months!

It’s great for the chancellor to say public sector wages are increasing while private sector wages are going down, but from 2010 public sector including our nurses and teachers took a huge hit wages were outstripped by the private sector. Whatever happens MP’s shouldn’t get a pay rise.

Hang on,didn't the mp,s just give themselves a pay raise?
Why don't we take it back and give them around of applause on Thurs instead
Civil servant pay freeze on 19:04 - Nov 20 with 1324 viewsGwyn737

Some great points.

Bang on.

I’d have loved to have been furloughed. In over twenty years of involvement in primary education. this has without doubt been the most difficult year. By a mile. I get riled when people say schools have shut. It shows how well this lie has been sold.

The government have spun so many stories. I won’t bore you with all of them but I’ll give you one example:

Thursday 22nd of October was the date that it became law that schools must provide remote education in line with the school curriculum immediately if a child has a Covid related absence. On Friday 23rd October at 5pm (the last day of the term for most schools), heads received an email saying that their allocation of laptops to give internet access to disadvantaged kids had been reduced by 80%.

I could go on. Then you’ve got Julia Harley Brewer et all saying private schools are amazing and state school should step up and provide the same. Fine. I would. I just need the equivalent per pupil funding.

NB I know that some on here have had poor experiences but (in my area) that isn’t the norm.

As for MPs pay, you watch - they’ll say it’s set by an independent body. Well so is teacher pay but they’ve ignored that for 8 of the last 9 years.
Civil servant pay freeze on 19:09 - Nov 20 with 1317 viewsNeath_Jack

Some great points.

"In answer to Pencoed Jack’s initial post, why not give all the key workers a rise and let those who’ve been furloughed pay a bit extra to make up for the money they’ve received over the last few months!"

I can't agree with that either. A sweeping generalisation.

There are many thousands of low paid workers who already live hand to mouth on their wages, who were then told to take a 20% pay cut with no idea of when, or indeed if, they would be starting back to work. Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of people who would have loved being furloughed, especially when the sun was shining.

Civil servant pay freeze on 19:14 - Nov 20 with 1311 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Some great points.

Public sector wages are currently paid 7% more the private sector for doing an equivalent job. Public sector workers also get a far better pension than those in the private sector. They also get their pension at 60 or even after 30 years service in some cases.

During the pandemic most public sectors workers even if they are not working get full pay. In the private sector if you get 80% on furlough or just get made redundant.
All the union leaders most of who are earning over £100,000 don't want to see the bigger picture. Everyone will be paying more income tax and domestic rates once the pandemic is over.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Civil servant pay freeze on 19:16 - Nov 20 with 1309 viewsCatullus

Civil servant pay freeze on 18:31 - Nov 20 by Nortbankboy

Hang on,didn't the mp,s just give themselves a pay raise?
Why don't we take it back and give them around of applause on Thurs instead

Well it's set by IPSA not by the MP's themselves but they have been recommended for an above average pay rise. Some Mp's have rejected it as the wrong message during covid.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/mps-hit-out-plans-pay-rise-covid-recession-708

Civil servant pay freeze on 19:26 - Nov 20 with 1304 viewsGwyn737

Civil servant pay freeze on 19:14 - Nov 20 by felixstowe_jack

Public sector wages are currently paid 7% more the private sector for doing an equivalent job. Public sector workers also get a far better pension than those in the private sector. They also get their pension at 60 or even after 30 years service in some cases.

During the pandemic most public sectors workers even if they are not working get full pay. In the private sector if you get 80% on furlough or just get made redundant.
All the union leaders most of who are earning over £100,000 don't want to see the bigger picture. Everyone will be paying more income tax and domestic rates once the pandemic is over.

7% more now. When the economy is strong, nobody talks about public sector pay.

If you entered the teaching profession from 2007 your Normal Pension Age is 65.

I used to get wound up by teacher barbs but I don’t anymore. My thoughts are if it’s so well paid and cushy then go for it. Recruitment targets have been missed for the last 7 years then 40% leave in 3 - 5 years so plenty of jobs.

In some subjects, you can even get paid to train and get a ‘golden hello’.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 19:30]
Civil servant pay freeze on 20:02 - Nov 20 with 1278 viewsBillyChong

Knew a few people 50+ no mortgage, kids left home, laughing their bollocks on 80% furlough for doing 0% work. Likewise some self employed hobbling every day during lockdown, and not declaring a penny. Don’t think many public sector staff had an easy ride with supporting changes to services, going into offices etc where required.
Civil servant pay freeze on 20:23 - Nov 20 with 1262 viewsjack2jack

Civil servant pay freeze on 19:14 - Nov 20 by felixstowe_jack

Have to disagree, not sure you can genralise over pay differentials.
In the sector I work in, we certainly are not paid 7% more than our private sector collogues.
As for picking pensions at 60 of even after 30 years service, yes you can retire at 60 but you would lose part of your pension, so who'd want too, and the pensions are not that great. Most men will now retire at 67 unless they have a top up pension paid for by themselves.Neither do you get free entry to council facilities or get a discount on your council tax. Just threw that in because that's a myth too.
Civil servant pay freeze on 20:26 - Nov 20 with 1262 viewsFireboy2

The mps will give themselves another pay rise soon and people wont say a thing.

Remember when they got around 5k each for working from home when this sh!t started?

And we took it hook line and sinker, we are all like mushrooms, fed sh!t and kept in the dark and we take it time after time after time.

The british public are a fvcking joke.
Civil servant pay freeze on 20:32 - Nov 20 with 1260 viewsbuilthjack

Civil servant pay freeze on 20:02 - Nov 20 by BillyChong

Knew a few people 50+ no mortgage, kids left home, laughing their bollocks on 80% furlough for doing 0% work. Likewise some self employed hobbling every day during lockdown, and not declaring a penny. Don’t think many public sector staff had an easy ride with supporting changes to services, going into offices etc where required.

The newly self employed, from April 2019, have still not had a penny furlough money.

Now that really stinks.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Civil servant pay freeze on 20:38 - Nov 20 with 1253 viewsjack2jack

Civil servant pay freeze on 20:26 - Nov 20 by Fireboy2

Remember when they got around 5k each for working from home when this sh!t started?

And we took it hook line and sinker, we are all like mushrooms, fed sh!t and kept in the dark and we take it time after time after time.

This^
And this is only the stuff that goes into the media, I dread to think of all the nonsense that goes on behind closed doors.
We are being continually mugged off, and told to smile whilst they're doing it.
What a corrupt world we live in. Sad, very sad.
Civil servant pay freeze on 20:43 - Nov 20 with 1253 viewsNeath_Jack

Civil servant pay freeze on 20:26 - Nov 20 by Fireboy2

We will say a thing, we will all moan and talk about it, as we are now about them.

The problem is, we can't do anything to stop it.

They are mostly all the same, not all but most are.

It's all a big game to them, we are no better than the paupers that used to camp outside the castle gates, hoping for some scraps. It's the same today.

Civil servant pay freeze on 22:37 - Nov 20 with 1214 viewsCatullus

Civil servant pay freeze on 20:43 - Nov 20 by Neath_Jack

We will say a thing, we will all moan and talk about it, as we are now about them.

The problem is, we can't do anything to stop it.

They are mostly all the same, not all but most are.

It's all a big game to them, we are no better than the paupers that used to camp outside the castle gates, hoping for some scraps. It's the same today.

And the few decent, honest MP's won't get very far in politics because these days no PM want's to give a job to somebody too honest. They want people prepared to lie for the governments own good.

Civil servant pay freeze on 10:02 - Nov 21 with 1146 viewsonehunglow

Funnily enough ,those employed in private companies have no protection at all in comparison. If the company is floundering,no pay rise at all. Many are happy to be still in working.

Not surprising to see the Fire Brigades Union at the forefront;the most lefty union of them all.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Civil servant pay freeze on 11:12 - Nov 21 with 1135 viewsNortbankboy

Civil servant pay freeze on 10:02 - Nov 21 by onehunglow

Funnily enough ,those employed in private companies have no protection at all in comparison. If the company is floundering,no pay rise at all. Many are happy to be still in working.

Not surprising to see the Fire Brigades Union at the forefront;the most lefty union of them all.

It's funny how they can find money to cause death
But can't find money to stop death
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024