Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) 19:25 - Dec 3 with 4011 viewsKeithHaynes

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper)

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 19:27 - Dec 3 with 2301 viewsKeithHaynes

I’ve excluded Jackett and current manager Cooper, however you can make reference of course in the comments. I’ve also excluded all the interim managers like Curt, Nugent Leon etc because none of them make a cuppa like Curt. My word, isn’t there a lot in almost fifteen years.

Obviously Cooper is already in post so he could become the best when he wins the europa league in two years time 😉

By the way, don’t just click on it, VOTE !

This post has been edited by an administrator

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 20:06 - Dec 3 with 2238 viewsQJumpingJack

Should Laudrup have been sacked in Feb 2014?

Would we have beaten Napoli?

I am convinced we would have stayed up under him.
Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 20:14 - Dec 3 with 2227 viewsFireboy2

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 20:06 - Dec 3 by QJumpingJack

Aye, if monk had been sent out on loan.
Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 20:19 - Dec 3 with 2216 viewsKeithHaynes

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 20:14 - Dec 3 by Fireboy2

Chico loved him mind 😂

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 20:20 - Dec 3 with 2214 viewsjacabertawe

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 20:14 - Dec 3 by Fireboy2

We used to pop down Landore to watch the training under Laudrup. Got the distinct impression of a lessening interest attitude to his sessions.
There may well have been a good reason for this, but his body language was less than enthusiastic.

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 20:25 - Dec 3 with 2207 viewsKeithHaynes

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 20:20 - Dec 3 by jacabertawe

We used to pop down Landore to watch the training under Laudrup. Got the distinct impression of a lessening interest attitude to his sessions.
There may well have been a good reason for this, but his body language was less than enthusiastic.

Potentially at that time getting annoyed with Jenkins believing he was to outdo every agent in the world. Ki, on that recall was the beginning of the end.

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 20:41 - Dec 3 with 2190 viewsDr_Winston

The most fun I've had watching the Swans are the first WR season under Jackett (100+ goals in all competitions), the full Martinez promotion season in 07/08 and the first full Laudrup season in 12/13.

There have been managers in between who deserve a lot of respect, especially Brendan Rodgers. If he'd played Stephen Dobbie in midfield from the start of the 10/11 season we'd have won the division by miles IMO. It's only his failure to do that which keeps him out of my top three.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 20:44 - Dec 3 with 2186 viewsDr_Winston

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 20:25 - Dec 3 by KeithHaynes

Potentially at that time getting annoyed with Jenkins believing he was to outdo every agent in the world. Ki, on that recall was the beginning of the end.

Laudrup gets a bit of an easy ride there. He has a long, illustrious history of falling out with club management in his second season and even given Jenkins' track record I can't put all the blame in one corner.

If Bayram had been touting players for sale without club permission then that's a big no-no. It's a pity that all parties involved couldn't act like adults and work through their problems.

If they had then we might not have ended up with the Monk era, which is where it all started to go to shit.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 20:53 - Dec 3 with 2174 viewsKeithHaynes

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 20:44 - Dec 3 by Dr_Winston

Laudrup gets a bit of an easy ride there. He has a long, illustrious history of falling out with club management in his second season and even given Jenkins' track record I can't put all the blame in one corner.

If Bayram had been touting players for sale without club permission then that's a big no-no. It's a pity that all parties involved couldn't act like adults and work through their problems.

If they had then we might not have ended up with the Monk era, which is where it all started to go to shit.

Two egos clashing. Always a problem when the local bloke thinks he knows better.
Jenkins was never going to come out of it badly.
Mind you I was just referencing the start of the end with ki 👍 Laudrup went head to head with Jenkins and was never going to win,

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 20:59 - Dec 3 with 2161 viewsGaryjack

I've gone for Laudrup as despite the League cup win and Euro tour, i have said it before and i an convinced to this day that had Rodgers stayed we would have been relegated in our second season.
He'd got the best out of a limited squad, and didn't have the resources or links to change things around. What clinched it for me was when he went 3 4 3 at home against an already relegated Wolves, which was an absolutely suicidal formation for a relatively inexperienced Premier league manager to make.. We raced into a 2-0 lead inside 15 mins until they realised we had no full or wing backs, and ended up clinging on to a 3-3 all draw. Not knocking Brendan by the way as he was absolutely fantastic in what he achieved for us.
Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 21:06 - Dec 3 with 2141 viewsKeithHaynes

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 20:59 - Dec 3 by Garyjack

I've gone for Laudrup as despite the League cup win and Euro tour, i have said it before and i an convinced to this day that had Rodgers stayed we would have been relegated in our second season.
He'd got the best out of a limited squad, and didn't have the resources or links to change things around. What clinched it for me was when he went 3 4 3 at home against an already relegated Wolves, which was an absolutely suicidal formation for a relatively inexperienced Premier league manager to make.. We raced into a 2-0 lead inside 15 mins until they realised we had no full or wing backs, and ended up clinging on to a 3-3 all draw. Not knocking Brendan by the way as he was absolutely fantastic in what he achieved for us.

16th Choice an all.

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 21:07 - Dec 3 with 2141 viewstylagarwjack

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 20:44 - Dec 3 by Dr_Winston

The honest truth is Laudrup had (and his time with us didn’t disprove) a tendency toget bored or fall out with clubs after a while.

I think the issue was our then board’s fatigue at dealing with a demanding manager (having previously been scarred by Sousa’s temerity) and opting to appoint a more controllable figure (Monk). This, along with the decision in or around the time to make recruitment a club rather than manager controlled phenomenon led to our Prem demise given the ineptitude of those who were entrusted with this vital matter.

IMO the truth of our (relative) demise relates to the arrogance of the former board as much as the yanks (who didn’t have an ounce of footballing nouse, and so couldn’t avoid being sold a pile of s**t).

Aprt from the initial rise, which was great, and kudos to them for that, the main thing you can say as a positive for our former board was the investment in the youth and facilities, even though it has since been downgraded for financial reasons, without the investment in the academy and young players brought in, James, Oli etc, god knows where we’d be, potentially on the way back towards League Two.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 21:10]
Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 21:26 - Dec 3 with 2112 viewsDr_Winston

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 21:07 - Dec 3 by tylagarwjack

The honest truth is Laudrup had (and his time with us didn’t disprove) a tendency toget bored or fall out with clubs after a while.

I think the issue was our then board’s fatigue at dealing with a demanding manager (having previously been scarred by Sousa’s temerity) and opting to appoint a more controllable figure (Monk). This, along with the decision in or around the time to make recruitment a club rather than manager controlled phenomenon led to our Prem demise given the ineptitude of those who were entrusted with this vital matter.

IMO the truth of our (relative) demise relates to the arrogance of the former board as much as the yanks (who didn’t have an ounce of footballing nouse, and so couldn’t avoid being sold a pile of s**t).

Aprt from the initial rise, which was great, and kudos to them for that, the main thing you can say as a positive for our former board was the investment in the youth and facilities, even though it has since been downgraded for financial reasons, without the investment in the academy and young players brought in, James, Oli etc, god knows where we’d be, potentially on the way back towards League Two.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 21:10]

Not much to argue about there.

The Monk situation sums it up. He was appointed in the full expectation that he'd be controllable, but the total opposite proved to be true. Jenkins had a harder time managing Monk than he did Sousa.

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 23:06 - Dec 3 with 1992 viewsGaryjack

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 21:26 - Dec 3 by Dr_Winston

The Monk situation sums it up. He was appointed in the full expectation that he'd be controllable, but the total opposite proved to be true. Jenkins had a harder time managing Monk than he did Sousa.

Monk is the football equivalent of the Lawnmower man!
Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 23:15 - Dec 3 with 1982 viewstylagarwjack

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 21:26 - Dec 3 by Dr_Winston

Yes, that's true re Monk, in fairness he is his own man, even though being that doesn't seem to be sufficient to lead to success for the numerous football clubs that he seems
to be perennially entrusted with improving the fortunes of.

I think the event that epitomises the club's demise more than any though is Jenkins's journey towards a defacto DOF role. The man had zero experience of professional football beyond that of an administrator yet he got to the point where he was overseeing the club's recruitment from a footballing as well as financial capacity.

The phrase "leave it to the professionals" has never been more pertinent, and the fact that he thought he (as well those on the board) was capable of performing such a role is IMO arrogance and delusion beyond comprehension.

It really as if the admirable rise through the leagues meant they (the board) thought they knew it all, could do no wrong, and walked on water.

The arrogance is literally mind boggling, truly, there really are no other words for it.
Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 23:59 - Dec 3 with 1941 viewshobo

Tell you what, we've been so so lucky over the years to have the managers we've had. Martinez, Rodgers, Potter, Laudrup, even Sousa! All in the space of less than 15 seasons
Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 00:04 - Dec 4 with 1939 viewsGaryjack

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 23:15 - Dec 3 by tylagarwjack

Yes, that's true re Monk, in fairness he is his own man, even though being that doesn't seem to be sufficient to lead to success for the numerous football clubs that he seems
to be perennially entrusted with improving the fortunes of.

I think the event that epitomises the club's demise more than any though is Jenkins's journey towards a defacto DOF role. The man had zero experience of professional football beyond that of an administrator yet he got to the point where he was overseeing the club's recruitment from a footballing as well as financial capacity.

The phrase "leave it to the professionals" has never been more pertinent, and the fact that he thought he (as well those on the board) was capable of performing such a role is IMO arrogance and delusion beyond comprehension.

It really as if the admirable rise through the leagues meant they (the board) thought they knew it all, could do no wrong, and walked on water.

The arrogance is literally mind boggling, truly, there really are no other words for it.

I dare anyone to argue with that.
Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 00:09 - Dec 4 with 1936 viewsBoundy

Hard to call between Laudrup or Rodgers but Brendan has the nod , he kept us up with a bit to spare in 11th with a squad at the time not as talented as Laudrups who I think had a bigger budget certainly a more technically gifted one . Great times all the same , so proud to see and know that the team was plastered throughout the land on bill boards advertising the PL ,little old us

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 05:39 - Dec 4 with 1885 viewsTreforys_Jack

Roberto for me, simply the catalyst for everything that followed. Shame how it all ended.
Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 09:47 - Dec 4 with 1809 viewsBadlands

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 20:06 - Dec 3 by QJumpingJack

His sacking had nothing to do with football, all down to Monk and his mates.
Would we have stayed up? Of course we would. We had two months of very high injury levey(one week saw him unable to name 11 first team players.
Would we have bate. Napoli?
Not sure, we played well especially in Naples.
I will always give a shout for Sousa, no fit goal scorers and a duplicitous captain (leading the same gang as he did when Laudrup was in charge) he taught us how to defend corners and was an essential link between Roberto and Rogers.
Best manger? Impossible to say as all from Jacket to Laudrup brought improvement and success.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 10:56 - Dec 4 with 1775 views34dfgdf54

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 09:47 - Dec 4 by Badlands

His sacking had nothing to do with football, all down to Monk and his mates.
Would we have stayed up? Of course we would. We had two months of very high injury levey(one week saw him unable to name 11 first team players.
Would we have bate. Napoli?
Not sure, we played well especially in Naples.
I will always give a shout for Sousa, no fit goal scorers and a duplicitous captain (leading the same gang as he did when Laudrup was in charge) he taught us how to defend corners and was an essential link between Roberto and Rogers.
Best manger? Impossible to say as all from Jacket to Laudrup brought improvement and success.

Good post.

Though as much as I loved Laudrup's time here, I think his time was up and we were heading down. Monk until end of the season was fine, but they needed balls to get someone else in, they didn't.
Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 13:45 - Dec 4 with 1693 viewsDr_Parnassus

“Best” and “most successful” not being the same thing of course.

Laudrup was clearly our most successful manager, but in terms of our best then it has to be Brendan. Laudrup seems to be a short term manager and that can never be a good attribute.

Put it this way, if Cooper was gone tomorrow and you had one pick, Laudrup or Brendan to take over for the next decade... Brendan for me every single time.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 14:05 - Dec 4 with 1687 viewsCatullus

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 13:45 - Dec 4 by Dr_Parnassus

“Best” and “most successful” not being the same thing of course.

Laudrup was clearly our most successful manager, but in terms of our best then it has to be Brendan. Laudrup seems to be a short term manager and that can never be a good attribute.

Put it this way, if Cooper was gone tomorrow and you had one pick, Laudrup or Brendan to take over for the next decade... Brendan for me every single time.

No one would give a manager a 10 year deal, that' an unrealistic scenario and it leaves out so much important info too.

Brendan did very well for us, he built a platform but Laudrup took us to the next level.

As for best, I'm going with Martinez simply because his time was just so much fun with no real expectations having been built up by then.
RM couldn't organise a defence but, to paraphrase a well known song "we're gonna score one more than you, SWANSEA"

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 15:00 - Dec 4 with 1676 viewsDr_Parnassus

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 14:05 - Dec 4 by Catullus

No one would give a manager a 10 year deal, that' an unrealistic scenario and it leaves out so much important info too.

Brendan did very well for us, he built a platform but Laudrup took us to the next level.

As for best, I'm going with Martinez simply because his time was just so much fun with no real expectations having been built up by then.
RM couldn't organise a defence but, to paraphrase a well known song "we're gonna score one more than you, SWANSEA"

It’s hypothetical, I’m not suggesting we offer Brendan a 10 year deal

My point is that if you were to offer a job to a manager tomorrow from our history, then you would struggle to make a case for Laudrup over Brendan. Laudrup doesn’t have longevity and hasn’t anywhere he has been. His record apart from his short spell with us also is not inspiring.

Laudrup took us to the next level because he had the players to do so, he didn’t take what BR had and did it, he did it after spending tens and tens of millions. BR would walk into most jobs if they were available tomorrow and will be mentioned whenever there is a top job available, Laudrup would struggle to get into any Premier League set up.

Which is why “best” and “most successful” is an important distinction to make.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2020 15:15]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 16:00 - Dec 4 with 1655 viewsCatullus

Best Swans manager since we moved to the Liberty ( exc Jackett & Cooper) on 15:00 - Dec 4 by Dr_Parnassus

It’s hypothetical, I’m not suggesting we offer Brendan a 10 year deal

My point is that if you were to offer a job to a manager tomorrow from our history, then you would struggle to make a case for Laudrup over Brendan. Laudrup doesn’t have longevity and hasn’t anywhere he has been. His record apart from his short spell with us also is not inspiring.

Laudrup took us to the next level because he had the players to do so, he didn’t take what BR had and did it, he did it after spending tens and tens of millions. BR would walk into most jobs if they were available tomorrow and will be mentioned whenever there is a top job available, Laudrup would struggle to get into any Premier League set up.

Which is why “best” and “most successful” is an important distinction to make.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2020 15:15]

Hypothetically speaking, do you want success or possession for the sake of possession, as Rodgers team was so often accused of.

Longevity is all very well if you don't want or expect much. If you want more entertaining football and a trophy then Laudrup is the choice.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024