Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flood in Skewen 14:27 - Jan 21 with 1030 viewscontroversial_jack

Apparently, an old coal mine has bust it's banks and flooded out Dynevor Road and Goshen Park. Looks quite bad too
Flood in Skewen on 15:02 - Jan 21 with 1000 viewsBoundy

Probably the old workings of No 3 & 4 main collieries which lie between Drummau road and Dynevor road and beyond , I'd hazard a guess and say the very recent rain fall off the mountain has made a contribution ,

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Flood in Skewen on 16:33 - Jan 21 with 948 viewscontroversial_jack

Flood in Skewen on 15:02 - Jan 21 by Boundy

Probably the old workings of No 3 & 4 main collieries which lie between Drummau road and Dynevor road and beyond , I'd hazard a guess and say the very recent rain fall off the mountain has made a contribution ,

Yes, no sign of it stopping and it's getting worse. homes abandoned
Flood in Skewen on 05:47 - Jan 23 with 778 viewsHighjack

Flood in Skewen on 15:02 - Jan 21 by Boundy

In the last few years they’ve cut down all the trees up on Drummau, think it’s because of some disease. I wonder if this has had an effect on the amount of water pouring down to skewen as well?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Flood in Skewen on 14:13 - Jan 23 with 726 viewsCatullus

Flood in Skewen on 05:47 - Jan 23 by Highjack

In the last few years they’ve cut down all the trees up on Drummau, think it’s because of some disease. I wonder if this has had an effect on the amount of water pouring down to skewen as well?

We'd noticed all the trees being cut, we were worried that if all the roots died back and the soil lloosened there'd be a chance of a landslip/mudslide?

The officla report does say an old mine works has collapsed with all the water probably the cause.
My wife was talking to someone whose mother lives down there, she's 80 and the daughter is worried it'll kill her mum. The house iss ruined but the mother refuses to move. Her daughter has asked her to move in with her but the elderly can be very stubborn!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Flood in Skewen on 14:22 - Jan 23 with 715 viewscontroversial_jack

Flood in Skewen on 14:13 - Jan 23 by Catullus

We'd noticed all the trees being cut, we were worried that if all the roots died back and the soil lloosened there'd be a chance of a landslip/mudslide?

The officla report does say an old mine works has collapsed with all the water probably the cause.
My wife was talking to someone whose mother lives down there, she's 80 and the daughter is worried it'll kill her mum. The house iss ruined but the mother refuses to move. Her daughter has asked her to move in with her but the elderly can be very stubborn!

The tree cutting was well away from the incident, but who knows
Flood in Skewen on 14:26 - Jan 23 with 709 viewsHighjack

Flood in Skewen on 14:22 - Jan 23 by controversial_jack

The tree cutting was well away from the incident, but who knows

Aye but there are a lot of mines in them thar hills and no doubt a lot of them will be connected. That excess water coming off that hill has got to go somewhere.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Flood in Skewen on 13:31 - Jan 24 with 617 viewsFlashberryjack

Flood in Skewen on 05:47 - Jan 23 by Highjack

Trees drink water, so obviously it would of have had some affect on the water table, locally.

I don't know how many new builds are in that area, but this also has a huge impact on flooding, and usually when flood preventative measures take place in one area, it inevitably causes problems in other areas.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Flood in Skewen on 14:06 - Jan 24 with 598 viewsHighjack

Flood in Skewen on 13:31 - Jan 24 by Flashberryjack

Trees drink water, so obviously it would of have had some affect on the water table, locally.

I don't know how many new builds are in that area, but this also has a huge impact on flooding, and usually when flood preventative measures take place in one area, it inevitably causes problems in other areas.

Yes it’s not just the absorption though, those trees are also a physical barrier, the water will be caught up in the canopy and will drip down slower reducing the volume of water travelling down in one go. It’s complete guesswork of course but it’s a coincidence that mine has been there for a long long time and coped with the large amounts of water we get every year, then they cut down the trees above it and it gets overwhelmed and bursts.

Login to get fewer ads

Flood in Skewen on 21:16 - Jan 24 with 553 viewsBoundy

We're inundated with old mine workings , in Birchgrove where the new costa drive through and new coastal housing on the site of Williams farm has been built, the contractors had a lot of problems trying to control / divert the water run off from Drummau which has a mine shaft below. It'll be interesting to see how the additional surface will be dealt with the area is now concreted over with very little natural soak aways left having been built over .
The reason why there was so many objections to a housing estate being built on the old Stradey Park was because of the loss of natural drainage. Paving and the size of the gardens in new builds seems to have created a problem .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024