Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides 16:38 - Jan 23 with 3173 viewsthornabyswan

We have a very good side now I think we are going up automatically but how do they compare.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 10:34 - Jan 24 with 801 viewsCatullus

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 21:16 - Jan 23 by KeithHaynes

Tommy Smith v Ardilles
The stuff of pure legend.

I still see it in my minds eye, and Rajkovic coming together with Cyrille Regis and Regis coming off much worse, practically ragdolled!

Ah for the good old days when you could take ball AND man and as long as it was ball first it was all good! There's too many wimps in modern football

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 10:43 - Jan 24 with 781 viewsonehunglow

It's a decent topic to discus and one where it really is about opinion and perception.

The 81 side disintegrated at a rate of knots whereas the class of 11 didnt.

Who was better to watch depend on how sentimental one is and for us to be at top table for first time will always resonate forever.Fact that more local/Welsh players were there is also a factor.

Its worth a few exchanges though but we have to look forward and try to forget our unforgivable exit from the Prem.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 10:44 - Jan 24 with 785 viewsCatullus

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 07:45 - Jan 24 by angryjack

What people are saying about our defence ,against that defence then,and saying it's better now,our back 3 now, and whoever steps in for injuries,it's only good ,because we work as a unit of 11 ,when we not got the ball ,it's not just the defence, it starts from the front ,as soon as we lose the ball,that's why we so solid,we keep our shape so well as a unit, so well disciplined it's just not just about our back 3... As for the 2011 team, we played with a lot of possession ,having the ball, a lot more than the opposition ,that's then, why our defence then ,wasn't under so much pressure ,but when we lost it we always looked vulnerable,our 1981 promotion team was good as well ,our system then, was toshack was way before his time as a coach,and the first manager to introduce the sweeper system in this country,our promotion season we would usually play ...
D.stewart
W.evans. d.lewis N.stevenson
N.robinson. Tommy craig jimmy

Alan Curtis. Robbie James. Leighton James

J.charles.
Sometime Leighton Phillips would be there instead of w Evans and a couple other changes butThat was usually our set up as I said toshack was ahead of his time,and introduced the sweeper system later to be called Xmas tree formation 3331 .so it wasn't 442 as someone said earlier..toshack was the man....
[Post edited 24 Jan 2021 8:04]

The xmas treee is 4321 though?

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 10:48 - Jan 24 with 776 viewsonehunglow

Christmas trees are best kept where they belong.In the Attic.

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 11:09 - Jan 24 with 780 viewsNortbankboy

We are doing ok.
I think the 2011 were a much better team.
We're are looking like a top 6 team,with a bit of luck we could make the top two
How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 11:14 - Jan 24 with 767 viewsonehunglow

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 11:09 - Jan 24 by Nortbankboy

We are doing ok.
We're are looking like a top 6 team,with a bit of luck we could make the top two

Norwich will be the club to go up automatically with ease leaving I would suggest us Brentford and Watford for the 2nd spot. It is going to be a very close race and an exiting one.

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 12:09 - Jan 24 with 765 viewsBrynmill_Jack

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 11:09 - Jan 24 by Nortbankboy

We are doing ok.

We’re looking like at top 6 team????
Never

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 12:19 - Jan 24 with 757 viewsNortbankboy

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 12:09 - Jan 24 by Brynmill_Jack

We’re looking like at top 6 team????
Never

Early days yet,we are only halfway through the season.
Let's hope we can turn the bees over weds
Login to get fewer ads

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 12:22 - Jan 24 with 747 viewsonehunglow

If we can,then it really is game on.

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 14:18 - Jan 24 with 731 viewsangryjack

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 10:44 - Jan 24 by Catullus

The xmas treee is 4321 though?

Ye your right but not if you seen state of mine
How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 15:38 - Jan 24 with 703 viewsswancity

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 07:45 - Jan 24 by angryjack

What people are saying about our defence ,against that defence then,and saying it's better now,our back 3 now, and whoever steps in for injuries,it's only good ,because we work as a unit of 11 ,when we not got the ball ,it's not just the defence, it starts from the front ,as soon as we lose the ball,that's why we so solid,we keep our shape so well as a unit, so well disciplined it's just not just about our back 3... As for the 2011 team, we played with a lot of possession ,having the ball, a lot more than the opposition ,that's then, why our defence then ,wasn't under so much pressure ,but when we lost it we always looked vulnerable,our 1981 promotion team was good as well ,our system then, was toshack was way before his time as a coach,and the first manager to introduce the sweeper system in this country,our promotion season we would usually play ...
D.stewart
W.evans. d.lewis N.stevenson
N.robinson. Tommy craig jimmy

Alan Curtis. Robbie James. Leighton James

J.charles.
Sometime Leighton Phillips would be there instead of w Evans and a couple other changes butThat was usually our set up as I said toshack was ahead of his time,and introduced the sweeper system later to be called Xmas tree formation 3331 .so it wasn't 442 as someone said earlier..toshack was the man....
[Post edited 24 Jan 2021 8:04]

And not forgetting the influential John Mahoney and I think David Giles as well

It’s an interesting question which underlined the brilliance of the work being done by SC in getting a team into this position whilst needing to show a big profit on the transfer activity balance sheet. He’s working minor miracles.

Getting back to the question our 1981 side was the best by some distance.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 15:57 - Jan 24 with 699 viewsKeithHaynes

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 15:38 - Jan 24 by swancity

And not forgetting the influential John Mahoney and I think David Giles as well

It’s an interesting question which underlined the brilliance of the work being done by SC in getting a team into this position whilst needing to show a big profit on the transfer activity balance sheet. He’s working minor miracles.

Getting back to the question our 1981 side was the best by some distance.

I don’t remember too much on the Liverpool and Everton transfers back then, it wasn’t much, Latchford was 100k ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 16:18 - Jan 24 with 686 viewsswancity

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 15:57 - Jan 24 by KeithHaynes

I don’t remember too much on the Liverpool and Everton transfers back then, it wasn’t much, Latchford was 100k ?

Once we’d got promoted to the First Division we then bought Colin Irwin for £300,000 which was a Club record for a long time I think and we brought in Ante Rajkovic Ray Kennedy Dai Davies Max Thompson Gary Stanley for relative pea nuts really. But on decent money. Kennedy for example was on around £800 a week which was considered a lot of money for us then.

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 16:28 - Jan 24 with 683 viewstrampie

The 1981 side was a lot better, individually the 1981 side had exceptionally talented players.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 16:36 - Jan 24 with 676 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Comparison particularly with 1981 is futile. The game has changed so much due to money that it’s a completely different animal now. Back then you had teams like Forest getting promotion and winning the top division in their first season up. It wasn’t unusual for newly promoted teams to do very well. The gulf in financial clout between the top two divisions was tiny compared to today.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 16:47 - Jan 24 with 654 viewsonehunglow

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 15:57 - Jan 24 by KeithHaynes

I remember it well.We agreed a fee Keith ,then renaged on the payments,the classic being Ray Kennedy,for whom we paid 150k and Colin Irwin think it was 420k .We then had a ban on transfers which eventually screwed us. We were pariahs.

Liverpool' great former chairman Peter Robinson is responsible for ensuring we did not go completely because he wrote off the debt.Imagine that.

We owe LFC -of that time-everything.

We also owe Man Utd too for a friendly that helped pay off the Tax bill which we didnt pay.

We have short memories

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 19:00 - Jan 24 with 626 viewsswancity

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 16:47 - Jan 24 by onehunglow

I remember it well.We agreed a fee Keith ,then renaged on the payments,the classic being Ray Kennedy,for whom we paid 150k and Colin Irwin think it was 420k .We then had a ban on transfers which eventually screwed us. We were pariahs.

Liverpool' great former chairman Peter Robinson is responsible for ensuring we did not go completely because he wrote off the debt.Imagine that.

We also owe Man Utd too for a friendly that helped pay off the Tax bill which we didnt pay.

We have short memories

Try saying something positive about something or someone for a change FFS

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 21:17 - Jan 24 with 601 viewsangryjack

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 16:47 - Jan 24 by onehunglow

We have short memories

Remember the man u friendly well.1986 think it was,and they brought a full first team as well.....
How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 21:19 - Jan 24 with 600 viewsJack59

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 10:34 - Jan 24 by Catullus

I still see it in my minds eye, and Rajkovic coming together with Cyrille Regis and Regis coming off much worse, practically ragdolled!

Ah for the good old days when you could take ball AND man and as long as it was ball first it was all good! There's too many wimps in modern football

Not just in modern football, but all over our TV screens as well.
I think potential participants in Reality TV shows must be vetted first for their cryability.
How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 21:22 - Jan 24 with 595 viewsGaryjack

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 22:04 - Jan 23 by thornabyswan

Those were the days over 24000 for a league cup game FA Cup League Cup European games all given equal importance.

The PL has a lot to answer for all about money now.

Indeed. And it wasn't just a case of us being a third division club playing the mighty Spurs, as they had over 35.000 for the replay at WHL.
How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 16:43 - Jan 25 with 507 viewsCatullus

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 21:22 - Jan 24 by Garyjack

Indeed. And it wasn't just a case of us being a third division club playing the mighty Spurs, as they had over 35.000 for the replay at WHL.

Ahhh, real fans eh. Too many part time supporters around these days too.

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 20:20 - Jan 25 with 463 viewsonehunglow

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 21:17 - Jan 24 by angryjack

Remember the man u friendly well.1986 think it was,and they brought a full first team as well.....

They did.Jesper Olsen hammered us.

Was a mark of class though from them

How does this team compare to 1981 and 2011 sides on 20:23 - Jan 25 with 462 viewsonehunglow

Colin Irwin was big money K and Liverpool fans beoieved we paid over the odds for him.His career ended at Villa Park,as did our hopes of staying up.

Kennedy was ,a I say ,serious money.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024