Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Decolonised curriculums incoming! 18:11 - Feb 5 with 4046 viewsHighjack

Great news for the young people of the future. Chaucer is gone, no more Wordsworth. Kipling? Pah we spit in Kipling’s face. More focus on ethnicity and sexuality. What a great time to be alive!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-55860810

Also isn’t Leicester university named after Simon De Montfort? Wasn’t he a proper wrong un when it came to the treatment of Jews?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 14:18 - Feb 6 with 972 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 12:39 - Feb 6 by Lohengrin

Which make about three or four of us on here?

Not me. Geography, Geology and economics.

When I met my wife she was carrying around a copy of the Faerie Queene.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 14:20 - Feb 6 with 973 viewsLuther27

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 14:11 - Feb 6 by londonlisa2001

If we don’t have the arts, I’m not certain why we need the medicine and science as there’s little reason to keep us all alive...

I suspect the fundamental problem is that many subjects, whether they be maths or English, are badly taught. They don’t grip the imagination.

It’s incredible the difference an inspiring teacher can make. I remember studying A level history. One of my teachers was perfectly fine but dull. One was fantastic and inspiring and really lit a flame in us (or in me at least) to try to find out more. Both English teachers for A level were uninspiring. Not bad, just not inspiring. Thankfully I had then, as I do now, a love of reading. But I can’t say that O of A level English did anything to encourage any sort of love whatsoever of Shakespeare (for example). It was a chore to get through. Not a great lover now to be honest.

The subject I have been gutted I didn’t study since I’ve been older, is Latin. They’d stopped it in our school by my time (only by a year or so). I have often thought it would be an incredibly useful tool.
I guess that what is deemed useful or not depends on your life. For me, I always believed the most utterly pointless subject I studied was geography.

Damn...I agree with you especially being unable to study Latin.
I’m off to the medicine cabinet. Surely I have something to cure me in there lol
Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 14:24 - Feb 6 with 967 viewsLohengrin

If we don’t have the arts, I’m not certain why we need the medicine and science as there’s little reason to keep us all alive...

I suspect the fundamental problem is that many subjects, whether they be maths or English, are badly taught. They don’t grip the imagination.

It’s incredible the difference an inspiring teacher can make. I remember studying A level history. One of my teachers was perfectly fine but dull. One was fantastic and inspiring and really lit a flame in us (or in me at least) to try to find out more. Both English teachers for A level were uninspiring. Not bad, just not inspiring. Thankfully I had then, as I do now, a love of reading. But I can’t say that O of A level English did anything to encourage any sort of love whatsoever of Shakespeare (for example). It was a chore to get through. Not a great lover now to be honest.

The subject I have been gutted I didn’t study since I’ve been older, is Latin. They’d stopped it in our school by my time (only by a year or so). I have often thought it would be an incredibly useful tool.
I guess that what is deemed useful or not depends on your life. For me, I always believed the most utterly pointless subject I studied was geography.

” If we don’t have the arts, I’m not certain why we need the medicine and science as there’s little reason to keep us all alive...”

“Science keeps us alive, but what keeps us living is art.”

Dr. Clare Coggins, Oxford.

Friend of yours, love?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 14:25 - Feb 6 with 959 viewsYrAlarch

To some extent I agree with the low hung one. There IS a great deal of snobbery and elitism attached to Literature.
Having endured A Level English (Jane Austen, Milton et al) I subsequently discovered 'Catch- 22', Spike Milligan, Conan Doyle etc. For me, far more enjoyable.
Surely what is most important is that people actually read. What may start with Mills and Boon might lead on to a wider, more eclectic, choice.
But who has the right to criticise someone's choice of reading? Who determines what is great Literature or otherwise? Not me.
Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 14:26 - Feb 6 with 956 viewsLohengrin

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 14:18 - Feb 6 by Joe_bradshaw

Not me. Geography, Geology and economics.

When I met my wife she was carrying around a copy of the Faerie Queene.

Because she enjoyed Spenser or to beat you off?

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 14:28 - Feb 6 with 942 viewsonehunglow

I did 3 yrs Latin and remember a fair bit even now, it certainly helps understand many European languages .
I either loved subjects like languages and geography or hated them ,maths and all the sciences of which I was terrified.

Physics is one of the mysteries of life

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 14:41 - Feb 6 with 925 viewsYrAlarch

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 14:24 - Feb 6 by Lohengrin

” If we don’t have the arts, I’m not certain why we need the medicine and science as there’s little reason to keep us all alive...”

“Science keeps us alive, but what keeps us living is art.”

Dr. Clare Coggins, Oxford.

Friend of yours, love?

Pretentious bo**ocks!

Literature and Science can never be mutually exclusive.
Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 14:46 - Feb 6 with 920 viewsLohengrin

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 14:41 - Feb 6 by YrAlarch

Pretentious bo**ocks!

What point are you trying to make?

Login to get fewer ads

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 14:47 - Feb 6 with 915 viewsonehunglow

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 14:41 - Feb 6 by YrAlarch

Pretentious bo**ocks!

Sadly,as I say,the Arts ,are for many the domain of the pretentious.

It s like classical music. Loved by many who actually detest it nor have any idea of musicality but it looks and sounds good to muse about the craft of Wagner,Bartok and Sibelius . Popular music is treated with contempt by many class snobs .

Try it at your next dinner party.

Subject...Lohengrin.

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 14:49 - Feb 6 with 916 viewsProfessor

Which I agree with and did make that point. But it’s the teaching I am picking up on. I was thinking the same thing. The Latin teachers were very good, but only had to deal with the top 4 of 12 classes in the year group. An ‘O’ level group each and shared ‘A’ levels for classics and Greek & Roman History (the latter the classic subject with British Constitution to get high grades). Contrast with the range of abilities and frankly motivations that English teachers dealt with. Not bad teachers but just not with that inspiration. More ground down. Like the university sector is heading towards. Making education a commodity with metrics for ranking sucks the life out of it.
Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 14:51 - Feb 6 with 909 viewsonehunglow

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 14:49 - Feb 6 by Professor

Which I agree with and did make that point. But it’s the teaching I am picking up on. I was thinking the same thing. The Latin teachers were very good, but only had to deal with the top 4 of 12 classes in the year group. An ‘O’ level group each and shared ‘A’ levels for classics and Greek & Roman History (the latter the classic subject with British Constitution to get high grades). Contrast with the range of abilities and frankly motivations that English teachers dealt with. Not bad teachers but just not with that inspiration. More ground down. Like the university sector is heading towards. Making education a commodity with metrics for ranking sucks the life out of it.

Always thought geography was important and interesting. The world we live in is surely the most pertinent of all subjects

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 15:19 - Feb 6 with 896 viewsLohengrin

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 14:47 - Feb 6 by onehunglow

Sadly,as I say,the Arts ,are for many the domain of the pretentious.

It s like classical music. Loved by many who actually detest it nor have any idea of musicality but it looks and sounds good to muse about the craft of Wagner,Bartok and Sibelius . Popular music is treated with contempt by many class snobs .

Try it at your next dinner party.

Subject...Lohengrin.

Lohengrin is about as widely known as it gets. There can’t be anybody in the western world that doesn’t instantly recognise it?

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 17:40 - Feb 6 with 873 viewsNotLoyal

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 00:53 - Feb 6 by Lohengrin

Apologies, Prof. I stand corrected, De Montfort was mentioned at the start of the thread and I took my lead from that.

Why would you not see 19th century literature as important? That’s Dickens and Dostoevsky; Goethe and Gogol; Wilde and Wells. Essential, seminal texts. Good grief that’s Byron!

Tupac, Martin Luther, they are the future, fictional rants by victims of policing when they do wrong, that's the struggle, pulling down statues will return, but not until the weather gets warmer and extreme boredom kicks in again.

History will be accessible via twitter links and distorted by the responses.

It's only a matter of time that ethnicity is the measure as to how successful you can be, the police have been trying it for years though. I think the louder a complainer complains, will be the real education. Not how to write the words in such a way as it's understood, more as to shout entitled opinion using the common cause of the day as a reference.

Anything to prevent hard work that is now fast becoming the ethic, and a govt that digs deeper to prevent chaos is the answer. It's what everyone wanted wasn't it ?
An easy life, no commitment,looking after number one with the help of an elected minority and the royal mint.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 17:47 - Feb 6 with 859 viewsonehunglow

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 15:19 - Feb 6 by Lohengrin

Lohengrin is about as widely known as it gets. There can’t be anybody in the western world that doesn’t instantly recognise it?

They know the song but not the composer.

Anyway I’m more of a Bach man.

Try fugue in d minor

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 23:31 - Feb 6 with 831 viewshowenjack

We owe a lot to de montfort as he was one of the early champions of a
peoples parliament and was anti monarchical dictatorship which was rife at the time of the plantagenets. After early successes most notably at the battle of Lewes he met a sticky end at Evesham in 1265 where he was targeted by a hit mob on the battlefield ending with him suffering humiliating mutilation.
Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 21:49 - Feb 8 with 737 viewsNortbankboy

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 23:31 - Feb 6 by howenjack

peoples parliament and was anti monarchical dictatorship which was rife at the time of the plantagenets. After early successes most notably at the battle of Lewes he met a sticky end at Evesham in 1265 where he was targeted by a hit mob on the battlefield ending with him suffering humiliating mutilation.

There s no future in history
Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 23:43 - Feb 8 with 722 viewsHighjack

Decolonised curriculums incoming! on 23:31 - Feb 6 by howenjack

A great man of his time indeed but he was also a power hungry violent religious zealot who set about the systematic persecution and massacre of Jewish folk with an ardour comparable to the Germans in the 30's and 40's.

Of course in 13th century England this turned out to be a fairly popular policy. He was big mates of course with Kilky's mate Prince Llewellyn ap Gryffudd and gave him his daughter to marry. It's a bit disconcerting to know the last Prince of this fine nation would fraternise with such a sort.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024