Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Teachers 18:19 - Feb 23 with 6605 viewspencoedjack

What gives them the right to think they should jump the queue on a vaccine?

Whilst they have been sat on their arse's for a 12 month getting full pay, a lot of us have been out working, others have lost their jobs or have been on 80% pay..

How about the volunteered to work some Saturday mornings or gave up some of their holidays to help kids catch up on their education.

Teachers on 21:07 - Feb 24 with 864 viewsswan65split

Teachers on 20:13 - Feb 23 by Fireboy2

Just wondering if anyone on this forum is a teacher and will raise their head above the parapet and tell penc exactly what they have been doing.

I know a few teachers and I can tell you that none of them have been sat on their @rses and none on them are lefties.

only just seen this thread, ive got 2 close family are teachers, and know exactly what they have been doing, either from home or in school., as well as home schooling their own kids.

Not getting involved with a slanging match , as I doubt theyd believe it anyway.
Teachers on 22:32 - Feb 24 with 811 viewsDJack

Teachers on 17:03 - Feb 24 by Gwyn737

And I’m sure it you asked Mrs. TF she would say (like me) that we’re just cracking on and that everyone we know is doing the same.

I’m not sure where Penc is getting his high % from. You’re always going to get a small minority taking the mick as you would in all work places but it doesn’t resonate with my experience, particularly during this lockdown.

I’m still in work. So are 65% of the teaching staff. The others are at home feeding back on the Google classroom work they’ve curated today (during ‘normal’ teaching contact hours) the prerecording tomorrow’s lessons so families have the flexibility to access them at a suitable time.

This is nothing out of the ordinary. It’s happening in the mass majority of schools. I know this as I sit on the Local Authority task and assessment group that monitors pupil engagement across the 220+ primary schools in the county.

I’d say my evidence base is pretty strong.

Ah, I got you!

You fail to realise that opinion trumps evidence on the internet.

</s>

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Teachers on 22:45 - Feb 24 with 805 viewsKilkennyjack

Teachers on 08:18 - Feb 24 by felixstowe_jack

The teachers are well paid to do their jobs . They should just get on and do what they are paid to do. Most of us can only dream of 13 weeks holidays a year.

Most of us don't have the responsibility of teaching the next generation.

The option of being a teacher was open to you.
Why are you so bitter ?

Did a teacher run off with your boyfriend or something ?

Beware of the Risen People

Teachers on 22:48 - Feb 24 with 798 viewsraynor94

Teachers on 22:45 - Feb 24 by Kilkennyjack

Why are you so bitter ?

What's your occupation then Kilks?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Teachers on 22:50 - Feb 24 with 798 viewsKilkennyjack

Teachers on 16:45 - Feb 24 by pencoedjack

I have respect for many hard working professions sunshine but I know a vey high percentage of teachers are taking the mick.

There are lots of professions who are living the life of riley 'working from home' but at the moment they are not wanting to go above other people who are deemed more vulnerable when it comes to having a vaccine.

If you believe the NUT & (some) teachers have the best interest of kids at heart you are a gullible fool.

If they are so concerned about kids education why not take holidays now & work through the summer holidays like lots of people in the public sector have had to do? I am sure if civil servants had been furloughed & were losing 20% pay they wouldn't be pushing to stay off even longer.

1 thing from this thread obviously teachers in Swansea are different to those in the rest of the country.

Teachers are not civil servants.

Even a half wit should understand that the National Union of Teachers represents the teachers.

The school term times are determined by the government, are you confused ? 🤷‍♂️

Teachers on 22:51 - Feb 24 with 794 viewsKilkennyjack

Teachers on 22:48 - Feb 24 by raynor94

What's your occupation then Kilks?

Why is it relevant ?
I can have an opinion on teachers whatever my job, yes ?

Teachers on 22:53 - Feb 24 with 792 viewsKilkennyjack

Teachers on 17:24 - Feb 24 by oldtownjack

What a depressing thread.The parroting of the Daily Mail narrative that teachers are lazy and feckless and have been doing nothing during this lockdown is so far removed from the truth that it's painful.

I won't go into all the things that schools have done during the lockdown to support kids and families because it won't change minds already made up but any school leadership team worth its salt would ensure that teachers haven't been 'sat on their arses' or 'taking the mick'.

I know it's a cliche but if teaching is so easy give it a go - God knows there are plenty of vacancies.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2021 19:05]

Top post 🙏🏿

Teachers on 22:55 - Feb 24 with 791 viewsKilkennyjack

Teachers on 20:50 - Feb 24 by MrSwerve

Well, I'm a University lecturer and the misses is a secondary school teacher...and it just goes to show that a lot of people don't have a f*cking clue what is happening in education behind the scenes.

Can't be arsed typing a reply to the OP because this has been covered many times...'sitting on their arse for 12 months'...FFS...

Most on here would shít the bed if they had to work in education for a day.

Well said

Login to get fewer ads

Teachers on 22:56 - Feb 24 with 790 viewsraynor94

Teachers on 22:51 - Feb 24 by Kilkennyjack

Why is it relevant ?
I can have an opinion on teachers whatever my job, yes ?

Of course, but can't understand why you seem so reticent to answer a simple question.

But surely the Assembly should sanction schools staying open this Summer, to help pupils hopefully catch up on lost time.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Teachers on 23:09 - Feb 24 with 787 viewsKilkennyjack

Teachers on 22:56 - Feb 24 by raynor94

Of course, but can't understand why you seem so reticent to answer a simple question.

But surely the Assembly should sanction schools staying open this Summer, to help pupils hopefully catch up on lost time.

Yes, as long as its safe, its the perfect time to catch up missed school time.

Much better than Johnsons English big bang approach.
Now that is a mad gamble.

Teachers on 05:37 - Feb 25 with 732 viewsHighjack

Teachers on 23:09 - Feb 24 by Kilkennyjack

Yes, as long as its safe, its the perfect time to catch up missed school time.

Much better than Johnsons English big bang approach.
Now that is a mad gamble.

Johnson has been big banging everything in sight for years.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Teachers on 07:18 - Feb 25 with 713 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Teachers on 22:45 - Feb 24 by Kilkennyjack

Why are you so bitter ?

Not bitter at all. As they say those that can do, those that can't, teach.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 7:19]

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Teachers on 07:32 - Feb 25 with 708 viewsProfessor

Teachers on 07:18 - Feb 25 by felixstowe_jack

Not bitter at all. As they say those that can do, those that can't, teach.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 7:19]

Shaw, not they.
Teachers on 08:22 - Feb 25 with 702 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Teachers on 07:32 - Feb 25 by Professor

Shaw, not they.

Shaw knew a good thing when he saw it.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Teachers on 08:26 - Feb 25 with 700 viewsmagicdaps10

I put my post in about the subject and I have read the posts and responses.

One thing that has been cemented in my mind is how so many people have no clue and once they have their opinion then there is no open mindedness to their view and can stand by their view with little to no experience on the matter.

To say that I know teachers does not wash especially when in discussion with someone who has first hand experience on the matter. Its frightening how grown adults can think and behave...... That in itself is more threatening to the next generation than what the topic discussed in this post.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Teachers on 08:47 - Feb 25 with 687 views1983

It does pi$$ you off why some people think they are more entitled than others...
Take Jo Whiley banging the drum and using her fame for her sister to get a vaccine because she has diabetes and learning difficulties if her sister didn't have these problems she wouldn't give a rats @rse about people with these needs so horses for courses...

I work in the public sector and have worked everyday that I have supposed to have worked since this pandemic and overtime as they have been short due to people isolating, I have watched as my managers,bosses & union leaders skuttle off to safety of their houses and still I have no vaccine Que sera sera

Teachers on 21:23 - Feb 25 with 608 viewsmajorraglan

Even if the assembly sanction schools staying open, I am not sure it would be enforceable. Teachers, like many occupations have contracts of employment with detailed terms and conditions, I don’t think this would get past first base. I can’t see lots of parents who want a holiday being happy either.
Teachers on 21:57 - Feb 25 with 584 viewspencoedjack

The NUT would never allow it.

But obviously it’s what is best for kids 👍

Those who think anyone who doesn’t agree with a teachers point of view is uneducated & has no respect will disagree.
Teachers on 07:24 - Feb 26 with 528 viewsGwyn737

Teachers on 21:57 - Feb 25 by pencoedjack

The NUT would never allow it.

But obviously it’s what is best for kids 👍

Those who think anyone who doesn’t agree with a teachers point of view is uneducated & has no respect will disagree.

Firstly, I personally think that in normal times the six week summer holiday is too long. It’s always seen as a hot potato to discuss in the UK as we already have some on the shortest summer breaks in the world.

In regards to this year, you seem to be suggesting that extending the school year is the best way for children to catch up. The most current research into the effectiveness summer schools is mixed in regard to academic progress and has a wide field of reference.

To answer the effectiveness question properly the following needs to be established:

Will pupil attendance be mandatory?
Will it be based on academic needs?
Will class sizes be as normal?
Will it be run by qualified teachers?
How will it be funded?
[Post edited 26 Feb 2021 7:27]
Teachers on 10:15 - Feb 26 with 489 viewscontroversial_jack

Teachers on 07:24 - Feb 26 by Gwyn737

Firstly, I personally think that in normal times the six week summer holiday is too long. It’s always seen as a hot potato to discuss in the UK as we already have some on the shortest summer breaks in the world.

In regards to this year, you seem to be suggesting that extending the school year is the best way for children to catch up. The most current research into the effectiveness summer schools is mixed in regard to academic progress and has a wide field of reference.

To answer the effectiveness question properly the following needs to be established:

Will pupil attendance be mandatory?
Will it be based on academic needs?
Will class sizes be as normal?
Will it be run by qualified teachers?
How will it be funded?
[Post edited 26 Feb 2021 7:27]

If anyone believes teaches work during the summer break they are deluded. No lessons to prepare , all marking done. What other profession or occupation offers the same terms.I know many teachers and they enjoy their summer break.

They may go in on the occasional course, but so what.I'm not saying teaching is easy, but every job has it's difficulties.
Teachers on 10:35 - Feb 26 with 480 viewsMrSwerve

Teachers on 10:15 - Feb 26 by controversial_jack

If anyone believes teaches work during the summer break they are deluded. No lessons to prepare , all marking done. What other profession or occupation offers the same terms.I know many teachers and they enjoy their summer break.

They may go in on the occasional course, but so what.I'm not saying teaching is easy, but every job has it's difficulties.

I must be imagining the weeks that Mrs Swerve spends preparing shít over the summer then...and she's certainly not an exception to the rule.

Don't get me wrong, they'll spend a good 3 weeks doing nothing...but they do need to have a life.

Every job has it's difficulties...and every job has it's bad apples. For some reason, people have got a bee in their bonnet about teachers. They (apparently) 'know' plenty of teachers who do nothing over the summer - therefore they're all the same.

Seriously, all of the teachers and academics that I know are flat out. Maybe I just know 'good' ones...who knows...but I do know a hell of a lot of them being in the profession.

All I can say is that they (and we - from a higher education POV) are working our arses off to give them a good education and prepare them for industry and working life. I don't expect a medal for this by any means, but the repeated notion that people in education are having a jolly at the moment and have 8 million weeks of holidays per year is an utterly outdated opinion.

These people are helping our next generation along. Support them rather than bash them, because trust me, they are doing their utmost to support your kids and family's kids.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Teachers on 10:44 - Feb 26 with 475 viewsProfessor

Teachers on 10:35 - Feb 26 by MrSwerve

I must be imagining the weeks that Mrs Swerve spends preparing shít over the summer then...and she's certainly not an exception to the rule.

Don't get me wrong, they'll spend a good 3 weeks doing nothing...but they do need to have a life.

Every job has it's difficulties...and every job has it's bad apples. For some reason, people have got a bee in their bonnet about teachers. They (apparently) 'know' plenty of teachers who do nothing over the summer - therefore they're all the same.

Seriously, all of the teachers and academics that I know are flat out. Maybe I just know 'good' ones...who knows...but I do know a hell of a lot of them being in the profession.

All I can say is that they (and we - from a higher education POV) are working our arses off to give them a good education and prepare them for industry and working life. I don't expect a medal for this by any means, but the repeated notion that people in education are having a jolly at the moment and have 8 million weeks of holidays per year is an utterly outdated opinion.

These people are helping our next generation along. Support them rather than bash them, because trust me, they are doing their utmost to support your kids and family's kids.

Most seem to be in at my wife's school for a considerable part of the 'holiday' preparing classrooms as well as preparation.

As for HE at the moment. Bonkers-spend Sundays recording lectures and had several live sessions this week. Normally teaching is 20% of my job, but taking up most of my time now. Shunted to weekend to allow my research and admin work that has to be done in the week.
Teachers on 10:50 - Feb 26 with 472 viewsDr_Winston

Just to clarify, my support for teachers getting vaccinated isn't because I see teachers as special or in need of extra protection (I know a few, they neither work as hard as some claim or as little as some claim), but more to remove one of the main excuses that are made for not getting schools fully open ASAP.

The kids risk from Covid is no greater than that of many other childhood diseases that we make no particular provision for. Any vulnerable people at home either have or soon will be vaccinated. If the teachers (and other school staff) are also protected then there's absolutely no reason not to open, and stay open.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2021 10:51]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Teachers on 16:21 - Feb 26 with 411 viewsCatullus

Teachers on 10:15 - Feb 26 by controversial_jack

Again with the "I know many teachers" so come on, how many is it, 5, 10, 20? There's 35000 teachers in Wales do you know even 1% of them, of course not.

Tak a school my son went to, I won't nma e it because things have changed but back then the teachers were giving up tens of hours free every week to run breakfast clubs, after school clubs and other extra curricular things like sports events away from the school. They went above and beyond, one of the teachers would, when needed pick kids up from their home in her own car if the parents were ill and unable to get them to school.

I know this as a fact, I was a parent governor there.

That doesn't lead me to claim ALL TEACHERS this or "I know many" that..... not all schools will be like that and some teachers will do nothing extra but that's the way the world is, there's good and bad everywhere.

On the subject of summer schools, I tend to agree with it but agree with others who say it's probably not workable.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Teachers on 16:26 - Feb 26 with 408 viewspencoedjack

Anyway Drakeford has told them to wait their turn.

So he obviously agrees with me
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024