Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Exceeding Expectations 23:23 - Mar 9 with 10600 viewsAndyCole

Despite the doom and gloom of some of our weak, entitled passive supporters we are massively exceeding expectations.

The weak willed sheeple need to take some time to think, clearly.

- joint 2nd in the league with a game in hand
- win the game in hand, 3 points clear of the chasing pack
- 2nd in games lost
- joint 2nd with leaders Norwich in # goals against
- for the run-in :
- recently beaten leaders Norwich 2-0
- beaten leading contenders Watford
- drew with main rivals Brentford
- smashed most in-form team Barnsley 2-0 twice
- 10 pts ahead of Play-off chasers ex-prem league Bournemouth, with a game in hand
- 12 pts ahead of arch rivals Crapdiff, with a game in hand
- Outfoxed the wiliest Warnock and O'Neill, and Hughton

All on a relative shoestring.

For the twps that always say "Yeah, but No, We Should OF".

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Exceeding Expectations on 12:14 - Mar 18 with 993 viewsDr_Parnassus

Exceeding Expectations on 12:09 - Mar 18 by ReslovenSwan1

The season is 46 games long potetilly 49 and whatever the expectations, are or were, and whatever the position was in the league the manager should use his squad players sustainably as number one priority. The players should all be protrected and managed to maintain top performance levels for 49 games.

Like in formual 1 the team must make sure you run out of gas 200m past the finish post. If this team imploads in the next ten games with Arriola Whitaker Freeman barely getting a kick there should be some sort of internal review.

Only if the players are of the required standard however.

Because you can have your top performer whos output is still higher when fatigued, than a fresh worse one. Which is the point Cooper makes.

Its about using the right players, not using ''any'' players. Have you ever seen Freeman play for example?

Our starting 11 have just as many matches under their belt as many of our direct rivals, far less in some cases.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 12:18]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Exceeding Expectations on 12:31 - Mar 18 with 977 views34dfgdf54

Exceeding Expectations on 12:14 - Mar 18 by Dr_Parnassus

Only if the players are of the required standard however.

Because you can have your top performer whos output is still higher when fatigued, than a fresh worse one. Which is the point Cooper makes.

Its about using the right players, not using ''any'' players. Have you ever seen Freeman play for example?

Our starting 11 have just as many matches under their belt as many of our direct rivals, far less in some cases.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 12:18]

Jamal missed the cut aswell by 9 minutes I believe, bare in mind we played two less games when this was made.
Exceeding Expectations on 12:32 - Mar 18 with 977 viewsLittleEnglandJack

I don't get what people find so hard to understand about the idea that you can be both:

a) Impressed and pleased with the job Cooper has done this season to have us right in contention for automatic promotion going into the business end, having negotiated two thirds of the season with a stellar defensive record. We are undoubtedly punching above our weight- Credit has to go to Cooper and his team for where we are today.

And Simultaneously

b) Alarmed at the current slide- particularly in performances but also (thankfully) to a lesser extent results, and the collapse in our rock solid defence. I'd venture to guess we've conceded as many in the last ten as in the previous 26? Many are also frustrated by Cooper's foibles- like his aversion to subs and squad rotation and near point-blank refusal to play certain players.
Exceeding Expectations on 13:02 - Mar 18 with 964 viewsTreforys_Jack

Exceeding Expectations on 12:32 - Mar 18 by LittleEnglandJack

I don't get what people find so hard to understand about the idea that you can be both:

a) Impressed and pleased with the job Cooper has done this season to have us right in contention for automatic promotion going into the business end, having negotiated two thirds of the season with a stellar defensive record. We are undoubtedly punching above our weight- Credit has to go to Cooper and his team for where we are today.

And Simultaneously

b) Alarmed at the current slide- particularly in performances but also (thankfully) to a lesser extent results, and the collapse in our rock solid defence. I'd venture to guess we've conceded as many in the last ten as in the previous 26? Many are also frustrated by Cooper's foibles- like his aversion to subs and squad rotation and near point-blank refusal to play certain players.

Good post !!
Exceeding Expectations on 13:20 - Mar 18 with 948 viewsDr_Parnassus

Exceeding Expectations on 12:31 - Mar 18 by 34dfgdf54

Jamal missed the cut aswell by 9 minutes I believe, bare in mind we played two less games when this was made.

Yep, it shows how limited our squad is.

Neither Bidwell or Guehi featured in our last 2 games.

Interesting to also see we have no players in the top two dark blue categories which signifies the higher category of minutes played, where as more than half the league does.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 13:44]

Exceeding Expectations on 13:57 - Mar 18 with 936 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Exceeding Expectations on 12:32 - Mar 18 by LittleEnglandJack

And Simultaneously

Good post seconded

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Exceeding Expectations on 14:09 - Mar 18 with 934 viewsBadlands

Exceeding Expectations on 13:20 - Mar 18 by Dr_Parnassus

Interesting to also see we have no players in the top two dark blue categories which signifies the higher category of minutes played, where as more than half the league does.

No, it shows how limited our manager is.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Exceeding Expectations on 14:16 - Mar 18 with 932 viewsDr_Parnassus

Exceeding Expectations on 14:09 - Mar 18 by Badlands

No, it shows how limited our manager is.

Well let’s hope for a limited manager every season then if this is the outcome. Fantastic season.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 14:16]

Login to get fewer ads

Exceeding Expectations on 14:23 - Mar 18 with 928 views34dfgdf54

Exceeding Expectations on 13:20 - Mar 18 by Dr_Parnassus

Shows our strong our squad is when Bidwell wasn't deemed the right player we could just chuck in Manning who season 19/20 created most chances in league from defence.

Guehi not fit - Not to worry just chuck Naughton in who has nearly 200 premier league appearances, or Ben Cabango a Welsh international who is the best performing player under the age of 21 in championship statistcally. Brandon Cooper there to boot from our brilliant academy.
Exceeding Expectations on 14:31 - Mar 18 with 923 viewsDr_Parnassus

Exceeding Expectations on 14:23 - Mar 18 by 34dfgdf54

Shows our strong our squad is when Bidwell wasn't deemed the right player we could just chuck in Manning who season 19/20 created most chances in league from defence.

Guehi not fit - Not to worry just chuck Naughton in who has nearly 200 premier league appearances, or Ben Cabango a Welsh international who is the best performing player under the age of 21 in championship statistcally. Brandon Cooper there to boot from our brilliant academy.

It shows how strong we are at left wing back, not how strong our squad is.

Naughton is a right back being shoehorned into centre back. The fact he is deputising there shows exactly the weakness of our squad; not the strength of it.

Canango is a good player yes, as is the majority of our starting 11.

Exceeding Expectations on 14:44 - Mar 18 with 916 views34dfgdf54

Exceeding Expectations on 14:31 - Mar 18 by Dr_Parnassus

It shows how strong we are at left wing back, not how strong our squad is.

Naughton is a right back being shoehorned into centre back. The fact he is deputising there shows exactly the weakness of our squad; not the strength of it.

Canango is a good player yes, as is the majority of our starting 11.

Shoehorned, he played there in the premier league. We have Cabango, Bennett, Latibeaudiere, Guehi, Naughton, Cooper all who can play centre half.

RWB isn't a problem either we have the best one in the league starting, Naughton can play there, failing that just chuck a US International in there Ariolla.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 14:45]
Exceeding Expectations on 14:49 - Mar 18 with 911 viewsDr_Parnassus

Exceeding Expectations on 14:44 - Mar 18 by 34dfgdf54

Shoehorned, he played there in the premier league. We have Cabango, Bennett, Latibeaudiere, Guehi, Naughton, Cooper all who can play centre half.

RWB isn't a problem either we have the best one in the league starting, Naughton can play there, failing that just chuck a US International in there Ariolla.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 14:45]

I don’t care where he played there, Kyle Naughton is not a center back. He is playing there out of necessity.

“Can play there” doesn’t strike me as something we should be championing. We are always very vulnerable in the air when Naughton plays for example. While he isn’t particularly short, he is often outmuscled and outjumped by strikers - largely because he isn’t a centre back and has the physical attributes of a right back - his actual position.

Exceeding Expectations on 14:51 - Mar 18 with 909 viewsonehunglow

Our squad is strong is one area only.Left footed players.

We are dire at Goalkeeper,the basic of a team and at striker,where we have not replaced the on loan Brewster.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Exceeding Expectations on 14:55 - Mar 18 with 906 views34dfgdf54

Exceeding Expectations on 14:49 - Mar 18 by Dr_Parnassus

I don’t care where he played there, Kyle Naughton is not a center back. He is playing there out of necessity.

“Can play there” doesn’t strike me as something we should be championing. We are always very vulnerable in the air when Naughton plays for example. While he isn’t particularly short, he is often outmuscled and outjumped by strikers - largely because he isn’t a centre back and has the physical attributes of a right back - his actual position.

Why is he playing Naughton there instead of Cabango then?

Who you just agreed is a very good player.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 14:55]
Exceeding Expectations on 14:59 - Mar 18 with 902 viewsDr_Parnassus

Exceeding Expectations on 14:55 - Mar 18 by 34dfgdf54

Why is he playing Naughton there instead of Cabango then?

Who you just agreed is a very good player.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 14:55]

He isn’t. Cabango, Guehi and Bennett are our starting 3 CB’s. Any fitness issues and JL or KN are brought in.

I fully expect Cabango to start against Cardiff for his 31st appearance of the season.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 15:00]

Exceeding Expectations on 15:07 - Mar 18 with 897 viewsjack247

He’s not playing as a traditional centre back, nor is Guehi. We have Bennett or Cabango in the middle and they are out and out stoppers. The other two have more licence to bring the ball out of defence and therefore we play the two that are better on the ball.

He wouldn’t start ahead of Cabango as an out and out centre back for the reasons you mentioned.
Exceeding Expectations on 15:13 - Mar 18 with 893 views34dfgdf54

Exceeding Expectations on 14:59 - Mar 18 by Dr_Parnassus

He isn’t. Cabango, Guehi and Bennett are our starting 3 CB’s. Any fitness issues and JL or KN are brought in.

I fully expect Cabango to start against Cardiff for his 31st appearance of the season.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 15:00]

Who do you expect that when every big game Naughton seems to start ahead of Cabango? Including the derby at CCS?
Exceeding Expectations on 15:21 - Mar 18 with 889 viewsDr_Parnassus

Exceeding Expectations on 15:13 - Mar 18 by 34dfgdf54

Who do you expect that when every big game Naughton seems to start ahead of Cabango? Including the derby at CCS?

Every big game? I don’t agree with that statement.

Cabango started against Watford, Bournemouth, Barnsley and Brentford. As has been said, any fitness concerns and Naughton or Joel plays.

Not sure what point you are trying to make really. If you are still trying to make out Naughton is a center back as opposed to a right back who is being played there then there is zero chance I will agree with you. So probably wasting your time.

Exceeding Expectations on 15:26 - Mar 18 with 881 views34dfgdf54

Exceeding Expectations on 15:21 - Mar 18 by Dr_Parnassus

Every big game? I don’t agree with that statement.

Cabango started against Watford, Bournemouth, Barnsley and Brentford. As has been said, any fitness concerns and Naughton or Joel plays.

Not sure what point you are trying to make really. If you are still trying to make out Naughton is a center back as opposed to a right back who is being played there then there is zero chance I will agree with you. So probably wasting your time.

You're wasting your time anyway, as 247 said above, you must be off your head if you think a centre half playing on the right side of a 3 is anywhere near playing centre half in a 2.

He was injured for Watford game, Naughton played 90 against Bournemouth, injured for Barnsley game and played 90 in the game against Brentford and was sent off in return leg.

When there has been a choice between Cabango or Naughton, the latter has been given the nod. Both have played when Bennett has been injured.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 15:28]
Exceeding Expectations on 15:29 - Mar 18 with 874 viewsDr_Parnassus

Exceeding Expectations on 15:26 - Mar 18 by 34dfgdf54

You're wasting your time anyway, as 247 said above, you must be off your head if you think a centre half playing on the right side of a 3 is anywhere near playing centre half in a 2.

He was injured for Watford game, Naughton played 90 against Bournemouth, injured for Barnsley game and played 90 in the game against Brentford and was sent off in return leg.

When there has been a choice between Cabango or Naughton, the latter has been given the nod. Both have played when Bennett has been injured.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 15:28]

Where did I say he was playing as a CB in a 2? He’s playing as a 3.

That’s not his position. As a result we are very vulnerable to balls into the box and he often doesn’t challenge for them and hopes to get the second balls. This is because he is a right back playing as a center back.

Why are you telling me what minutes Naughton played? He’s still won’t be a center back and your comment that he starts in place of Cabango every big game will still be wrong.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 15:31]

Exceeding Expectations on 15:32 - Mar 18 with 871 views34dfgdf54

Exceeding Expectations on 15:29 - Mar 18 by Dr_Parnassus

Where did I say he was playing as a CB in a 2? He’s playing as a 3.

That’s not his position. As a result we are very vulnerable to balls into the box and he often doesn’t challenge for them and hopes to get the second balls. This is because he is a right back playing as a center back.

Why are you telling me what minutes Naughton played? He’s still won’t be a center back and your comment that he starts in place of Cabango every big game will still be wrong.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 15:31]

Because I am right. In a big game, when the choice is between Naughton and Cabango, he picks Naughton.

You said yourself Cabango is a very good player at centre half, why is Naughton who isn't a centre half being picked above him then? The derby at CCS agaisnt a physical outfit in Cardiff he vouched for Naughton. The games you used as your example either Naughton or Bennett were unavailable.

Are you suggesting you know more about defenders than the great Steve Cooper? Because a few hours back because I wasn't a football manager or scout my opinion didn't wash above Coops?
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 15:33]
Exceeding Expectations on 15:39 - Mar 18 with 863 viewsDr_Parnassus

Exceeding Expectations on 15:32 - Mar 18 by 34dfgdf54

Because I am right. In a big game, when the choice is between Naughton and Cabango, he picks Naughton.

You said yourself Cabango is a very good player at centre half, why is Naughton who isn't a centre half being picked above him then? The derby at CCS agaisnt a physical outfit in Cardiff he vouched for Naughton. The games you used as your example either Naughton or Bennett were unavailable.

Are you suggesting you know more about defenders than the great Steve Cooper? Because a few hours back because I wasn't a football manager or scout my opinion didn't wash above Coops?
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 15:33]

You aren’t right. You are changing what you said originally.

This is my point regarding your rotation quest. You have zero idea on the fitness of these players, any niggling injuries, heavy fatigue. Yet you expect to pass judgement on the team selection as if you do.

Cabango is a great defender yes. Which is why he has played around 20% more games than Naughton has this year.

If Naughton is picked ahead of Cabango then Cooper will have his reasons, I would put it down to things you have no idea about, such as the fitness of the player himself. Again if you are suggesting Naughton is a center back then I cannot help you I’m afraid.

Also, your final point about you not being a scout or a manager - that was your point, not mine. You are making it sound like that came from me which is a bit strange.

You said it’s not your job to find a striker to sign (only to moan that you want one) because it’s not your profession. My point was that you are happy to pass judgement on other areas of management so why is that any different - so it seems a little odd your standards of what you can and can’t do change depending on how difficult the question is to answer.

[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 15:44]

Exceeding Expectations on 15:49 - Mar 18 with 857 viewsCatullus

We could say the same of Lowe and Ayew, played as forwards out of necessity. Maybe Coops should alter the formation and use Whittaker up front, he is our only actual (fit) striker right now.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Exceeding Expectations on 15:57 - Mar 18 with 853 viewsDr_Parnassus

Exceeding Expectations on 15:49 - Mar 18 by Catullus

We could say the same of Lowe and Ayew, played as forwards out of necessity. Maybe Coops should alter the formation and use Whittaker up front, he is our only actual (fit) striker right now.

We absolutely could. We are massively restricted as a squad and our 11 is often cobbled together of players making do in positions that isn’t traditionally their position.

It’s a brave move to tinker, one that probably isn’t advisable. Whittaker would need a strike partner, he’s not a lone striker in a million years. Which means we would have to go 2 up front, which exposes us all over the pitch as we saw against Bournemouth.

Our problem at the moment is we are struggling to keep the ball. So taking another player from the midfield to accommodate a striker seems a bit counter intuitive when this system has got us to 3rd so far and when we deviate it’s a very mixed bag.

With 10 games left there isn’t really much wiggle room for experimentation, so while it’s tempting to freshen things up with a new approach. It’s not something I would be behind personally. A fresh way to lose isn’t as appealing as a stale way to win.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 15:59]

Exceeding Expectations on 16:10 - Mar 18 with 843 viewsCatullus

Exceeding Expectations on 15:57 - Mar 18 by Dr_Parnassus

We absolutely could. We are massively restricted as a squad and our 11 is often cobbled together of players making do in positions that isn’t traditionally their position.

It’s a brave move to tinker, one that probably isn’t advisable. Whittaker would need a strike partner, he’s not a lone striker in a million years. Which means we would have to go 2 up front, which exposes us all over the pitch as we saw against Bournemouth.

Our problem at the moment is we are struggling to keep the ball. So taking another player from the midfield to accommodate a striker seems a bit counter intuitive when this system has got us to 3rd so far and when we deviate it’s a very mixed bag.

With 10 games left there isn’t really much wiggle room for experimentation, so while it’s tempting to freshen things up with a new approach. It’s not something I would be behind personally. A fresh way to lose isn’t as appealing as a stale way to win.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 15:59]

But we have been playing 2 up front, Ayew and Lowe, so why not Ayew and Whittaker? It does mean dropping Hourihane too, in my opinion.

Honestly, we can speak up on here but I expect we are all glad it isn't our choice!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024