Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Exceeding Expectations 23:23 - Mar 9 with 10652 viewsAndyCole

Despite the doom and gloom of some of our weak, entitled passive supporters we are massively exceeding expectations.

The weak willed sheeple need to take some time to think, clearly.

- joint 2nd in the league with a game in hand
- win the game in hand, 3 points clear of the chasing pack
- 2nd in games lost
- joint 2nd with leaders Norwich in # goals against
- for the run-in :
- recently beaten leaders Norwich 2-0
- beaten leading contenders Watford
- drew with main rivals Brentford
- smashed most in-form team Barnsley 2-0 twice
- 10 pts ahead of Play-off chasers ex-prem league Bournemouth, with a game in hand
- 12 pts ahead of arch rivals Crapdiff, with a game in hand
- Outfoxed the wiliest Warnock and O'Neill, and Hughton

All on a relative shoestring.

For the twps that always say "Yeah, but No, We Should OF".

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Exceeding Expectations on 16:14 - Mar 18 with 882 viewsjack247

Exceeding Expectations on 15:39 - Mar 18 by Dr_Parnassus

You aren’t right. You are changing what you said originally.

This is my point regarding your rotation quest. You have zero idea on the fitness of these players, any niggling injuries, heavy fatigue. Yet you expect to pass judgement on the team selection as if you do.

Cabango is a great defender yes. Which is why he has played around 20% more games than Naughton has this year.

If Naughton is picked ahead of Cabango then Cooper will have his reasons, I would put it down to things you have no idea about, such as the fitness of the player himself. Again if you are suggesting Naughton is a center back then I cannot help you I’m afraid.

Also, your final point about you not being a scout or a manager - that was your point, not mine. You are making it sound like that came from me which is a bit strange.

You said it’s not your job to find a striker to sign (only to moan that you want one) because it’s not your profession. My point was that you are happy to pass judgement on other areas of management so why is that any different - so it seems a little odd your standards of what you can and can’t do change depending on how difficult the question is to answer.

[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 15:44]

With everybody fit, his first choice is Guehi, Bennett and Naughton. It was Guehi, Bennett and Cabango earlier in the season, but I’m assuming he’s decided Bennett and Guehi provide enough physicality, so he can get away with more of a ball player in there.

For Cardiff specifically, given they will play Moore and two imposing centre backs, I’d be tempted to play our three most physical centre backs. If Guehi is still injured, I’d definitely play Cabango. Naughton and Latabaudiere are better footballers, but could easily get bullied.
Exceeding Expectations on 16:40 - Mar 18 with 866 viewsDr_Parnassus

Exceeding Expectations on 16:14 - Mar 18 by jack247

With everybody fit, his first choice is Guehi, Bennett and Naughton. It was Guehi, Bennett and Cabango earlier in the season, but I’m assuming he’s decided Bennett and Guehi provide enough physicality, so he can get away with more of a ball player in there.

For Cardiff specifically, given they will play Moore and two imposing centre backs, I’d be tempted to play our three most physical centre backs. If Guehi is still injured, I’d definitely play Cabango. Naughton and Latabaudiere are better footballers, but could easily get bullied.

I disagree entirely. Bennett, Guehi and Cabango are the starting 3.

Even in the second half of the season Naughton hasn’t been selected in a third of our matches, Cabango only not starting a quarter, in my opinion mostly down to fitness. He’s only 20.

Cabango should play against Cardiff, but think Naughton will too deputising for Guehi.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Exceeding Expectations on 16:52 - Mar 18 with 860 viewsjack247

Exceeding Expectations on 16:40 - Mar 18 by Dr_Parnassus

I disagree entirely. Bennett, Guehi and Cabango are the starting 3.

Even in the second half of the season Naughton hasn’t been selected in a third of our matches, Cabango only not starting a quarter, in my opinion mostly down to fitness. He’s only 20.

Cabango should play against Cardiff, but think Naughton will too deputising for Guehi.

Fair enough. Your opinion.

It’s basically Bennett or Cabango for the central slot.

This weekend aside, when Guehi is likely to be out anyway, I don’t think you’ll see Bennett and Cabango starting with Naughton on the bench very often the rest of the season.
Exceeding Expectations on 17:00 - Mar 18 with 852 viewsBadlands

Exceeding Expectations on 16:14 - Mar 18 by jack247

Bennett is no more a ball player than Cabango. Cabango offers far greater physical presence in both boxes. Bennett's positioning v Bournemouth was surprisingly poor.
Three at the back is excellent for a team with effective wing backs and sound midfield but teams have realised how to nullify the wingbacks and our midfield is still very slow and weak. I still think Cabango and Bennett in a 3 unbalances the defence so it’s either or. On Saturday's performance that puts Cabango in pole position.
But perhaps it’s to change things around and start with a back four - two fullbacks and two CBs.
Naughton ... Cabango ... Bennett ... Manning

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Exceeding Expectations on 17:10 - Mar 18 with 834 viewsjack247

Exceeding Expectations on 17:00 - Mar 18 by Badlands

Bennett is no more a ball player than Cabango. Cabango offers far greater physical presence in both boxes. Bennett's positioning v Bournemouth was surprisingly poor.
Three at the back is excellent for a team with effective wing backs and sound midfield but teams have realised how to nullify the wingbacks and our midfield is still very slow and weak. I still think Cabango and Bennett in a 3 unbalances the defence so it’s either or. On Saturday's performance that puts Cabango in pole position.
But perhaps it’s to change things around and start with a back four - two fullbacks and two CBs.
Naughton ... Cabango ... Bennett ... Manning

I agree. They are both stoppers. It’s Guehi (who can do both), Naughton and Lata who are comfortable on the ball. In a 442, I also agree, I’m sure they’d both play.

I don’t think there’s much to choose between them to be honest, Bennett is experienced and a leader. Cabango is bigger and stronger.
Exceeding Expectations on 17:12 - Mar 18 with 830 views9MilesHigh

Exceeding Expectations on 13:20 - Mar 18 by Dr_Parnassus

Yep, it shows how limited our squad is.

Neither Bidwell or Guehi featured in our last 2 games.

Interesting to also see we have no players in the top two dark blue categories which signifies the higher category of minutes played, where as more than half the league does.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 13:44]

Haha pathetic

More interesting is we have TWICE as many players on the graph than 60% of teams in the league.
Exceeding Expectations on 17:12 - Mar 18 with 825 viewsonehunglow

Exceeding Expectations on 17:10 - Mar 18 by jack247

I agree. They are both stoppers. It’s Guehi (who can do both), Naughton and Lata who are comfortable on the ball. In a 442, I also agree, I’m sure they’d both play.

I don’t think there’s much to choose between them to be honest, Bennett is experienced and a leader. Cabango is bigger and stronger.

We need more balance in the team and manning grimes Hollie is not that. It throws the whole team out of sync

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Exceeding Expectations on 17:13 - Mar 18 with 828 viewsDr_Parnassus

Exceeding Expectations on 17:12 - Mar 18 by 9MilesHigh

Haha pathetic

More interesting is we have TWICE as many players on the graph than 60% of teams in the league.

Yes, because we have a small squad with limited quality. I thought that part was a given?

Login to get fewer ads

Exceeding Expectations on 17:15 - Mar 18 with 826 views9MilesHigh

Exceeding Expectations on 14:49 - Mar 18 by Dr_Parnassus

I don’t care where he played there, Kyle Naughton is not a center back. He is playing there out of necessity.

“Can play there” doesn’t strike me as something we should be championing. We are always very vulnerable in the air when Naughton plays for example. While he isn’t particularly short, he is often outmuscled and outjumped by strikers - largely because he isn’t a centre back and has the physical attributes of a right back - his actual position.

He's not a centre back now either FFS. He's on the right in a 3 man defensive line.

Naughton isn't shoehorned in at all. He's carefully placed there to do a job.

This football lark ain't for you pal.
Exceeding Expectations on 17:17 - Mar 18 with 821 viewsDr_Parnassus

Exceeding Expectations on 17:15 - Mar 18 by 9MilesHigh

He's not a centre back now either FFS. He's on the right in a 3 man defensive line.

Naughton isn't shoehorned in at all. He's carefully placed there to do a job.

This football lark ain't for you pal.

I understand you are still upset with me for blocking you pestering me, but you aren’t coming across very well. Like a woman scorned.

Naughton is not a centre back, be that a 2 or a 3. Of course he is placed there to do a job, his natural job however it ain’t.

Exceeding Expectations on 17:17 - Mar 18 with 823 viewsjack247

Exceeding Expectations on 17:12 - Mar 18 by onehunglow

We need more balance in the team and manning grimes Hollie is not that. It throws the whole team out of sync

I agree with you there, but not because they are left footed, mainly because Hourihane doesn’t suit the way we were transitioning from defence to attack earlier in the season.
Exceeding Expectations on 17:26 - Mar 18 with 806 viewsonehunglow

Exceeding Expectations on 17:17 - Mar 18 by jack247

I agree with you there, but not because they are left footed, mainly because Hourihane doesn’t suit the way we were transitioning from defence to attack earlier in the season.

247. If one is so unable to even stand on one foot,there is no chance of any skill being articulated. These train professionally .
Think on that

It’s who I wonder how Woody is trained . He should spend 2 hours every day simply practising goal kicks and clearances.

The fact he deposits the hall where he does tells you everything to know about our coaching .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Exceeding Expectations on 17:38 - Mar 18 with 804 viewsjack247

Exceeding Expectations on 17:26 - Mar 18 by onehunglow

247. If one is so unable to even stand on one foot,there is no chance of any skill being articulated. These train professionally .
Think on that

It’s who I wonder how Woody is trained . He should spend 2 hours every day simply practising goal kicks and clearances.

The fact he deposits the hall where he does tells you everything to know about our coaching .

Which players are you talking about?

Ayew is very two footed. He wouldn’t wriggle his way out of tight situations so often if he wasn’t. Grimes too is more than capable with both feet. Yes, they both shoot or in Grimes’ case attempt long/difficult passes with their dominant foot, but it’s not as if they can’t do the basics with both. Manning is a wingback, you need him to be left footed.

Hourihane, I’ll give you, but more because he seems at half pace a lot of the time.

I’ll also agree Woodmans clearances need to be worked on. I wouldn’t leave him out of the team over it unless we had better in reserve.
Exceeding Expectations on 17:48 - Mar 18 with 798 views9MilesHigh

Exceeding Expectations on 17:17 - Mar 18 by Dr_Parnassus

I understand you are still upset with me for blocking you pestering me, but you aren’t coming across very well. Like a woman scorned.

Naughton is not a centre back, be that a 2 or a 3. Of course he is placed there to do a job, his natural job however it ain’t.

He's not a centre back in a 2 or 3 to "you"...
To Cooper he is.
To Potter he was.
To Carvalhal he was

Means pretty much naff all doesn't it?
Exceeding Expectations on 18:19 - Mar 18 with 792 views34dfgdf54

Exceeding Expectations on 15:39 - Mar 18 by Dr_Parnassus

You aren’t right. You are changing what you said originally.

This is my point regarding your rotation quest. You have zero idea on the fitness of these players, any niggling injuries, heavy fatigue. Yet you expect to pass judgement on the team selection as if you do.

Cabango is a great defender yes. Which is why he has played around 20% more games than Naughton has this year.

If Naughton is picked ahead of Cabango then Cooper will have his reasons, I would put it down to things you have no idea about, such as the fitness of the player himself. Again if you are suggesting Naughton is a center back then I cannot help you I’m afraid.

Also, your final point about you not being a scout or a manager - that was your point, not mine. You are making it sound like that came from me which is a bit strange.

You said it’s not your job to find a striker to sign (only to moan that you want one) because it’s not your profession. My point was that you are happy to pass judgement on other areas of management so why is that any different - so it seems a little odd your standards of what you can and can’t do change depending on how difficult the question is to answer.

[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 15:44]

I have an idea of what I watch though and these boys are out on their feet. Ayew would know more than both of us and he says the same.

Your point about Cabango playing 20% more games is also weak, that’s because Naughton this season has picked up an injury, and suspension. The simple fact is, when Cooper picks his best side, he picks Naughton above Cabango in a position you think the former has been shoehorned into. Whether he does that this week I have no idea, but he did first Derby so I wouldn’t be at all shocked.

What you’re also wrong with (again), I’m not moaning about not having a striker, that’s Steve Cooper, we have one, Whittaker who was brought in for decent money. Coopers excuse of “for the future” doesn’t wash when like I said earlier, there were plenty of options elsewhere for less money, which I pointed out to you, there’s also hundreds more.
Exceeding Expectations on 19:25 - Mar 18 with 765 viewsReslovenSwan1

Exceeding Expectations on 18:19 - Mar 18 by 34dfgdf54

I have an idea of what I watch though and these boys are out on their feet. Ayew would know more than both of us and he says the same.

Your point about Cabango playing 20% more games is also weak, that’s because Naughton this season has picked up an injury, and suspension. The simple fact is, when Cooper picks his best side, he picks Naughton above Cabango in a position you think the former has been shoehorned into. Whether he does that this week I have no idea, but he did first Derby so I wouldn’t be at all shocked.

What you’re also wrong with (again), I’m not moaning about not having a striker, that’s Steve Cooper, we have one, Whittaker who was brought in for decent money. Coopers excuse of “for the future” doesn’t wash when like I said earlier, there were plenty of options elsewhere for less money, which I pointed out to you, there’s also hundreds more.

Cooper appears to prefer to pick talented youths of less experienced over senior players. Remember Swansea were linked with Piggot of Wimbledon as a permanent sgning but it never happened. A compromise player might have been Watters as he has youth quality and some lower league experience. Swansea did not push harden enough and were out bid. Whittaker fits the Cooper model. He played brrewster and Gallagher. He may not be entirely ready but there is only one way to change that and the window is shut.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Exceeding Expectations on 19:51 - Mar 18 with 762 viewsCatullus

Exceeding Expectations on 19:25 - Mar 18 by ReslovenSwan1

Cooper appears to prefer to pick talented youths of less experienced over senior players. Remember Swansea were linked with Piggot of Wimbledon as a permanent sgning but it never happened. A compromise player might have been Watters as he has youth quality and some lower league experience. Swansea did not push harden enough and were out bid. Whittaker fits the Cooper model. He played brrewster and Gallagher. He may not be entirely ready but there is only one way to change that and the window is shut.

We weren't outbid for Watters, we refused to oay what they wanted and walked away.

I read in the WOL today that Coops said WHittaker had done really well in training.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Exceeding Expectations on 20:00 - Mar 18 with 758 viewsDr_Winston

Certainties in life.

Seasons change. Continents drift. Kyle Naughton continues to be underrated.

I'm not sure if I can ever recall a player so consistently a 7/10 no matter what division we're in or position we ask him to play held in such disdain by a small minority of the support.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Exceeding Expectations on 21:08 - Mar 18 with 725 viewsvetchonian

Exceeding Expectations on 17:26 - Mar 18 by onehunglow

Think on that

Trundle only had one foot.....but he is a god on here

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Exceeding Expectations on 00:11 - Mar 19 with 698 viewsDr_Parnassus

Exceeding Expectations on 17:48 - Mar 18 by 9MilesHigh

He's not a centre back in a 2 or 3 to "you"...
To Cooper he is.
To Potter he was.
To Carvalhal he was

Means pretty much naff all doesn't it?

He isn’t to anyone, he can play there but he isn’t a centre back. He’s a handy utility defender, but he’s a right back. Not sure why we are pretending otherwise. Just like Lowe isn’t a striker, he’s a winger playing up front and doing a job, how good that job differs depending on who you ask.

Exceeding Expectations on 00:30 - Mar 19 with 688 viewsDr_Parnassus

Exceeding Expectations on 18:19 - Mar 18 by 34dfgdf54

They are tired yes, as they should be - it’s March. Footballers are allowed to be tired. It’s sport.

My point regarding Cabango is entirely relevant. I said the second half of the season, Naughton was briefly injured in the first half of the season (as was Cabango). Cabango did his hammy in the warm up in the Brentford game and missed the Norwich game, from memory.

Whittaker is 200k, that’s not decent money. That’s a pittance. You have provided names that don’t seem at all like they would have been feasible options. You actually made the claim they could be brought in for less, yet wouldn’t name any figures and didn’t suggest any at the time. Bit of playing “hindsight Harry”.

The issue is you are making assumptions and claims that nothing seems to back. From Morris starting wouldn’t have affected results, to players we should have brought in. It’s an ever growing list of workarounds in order to slag off the manager. It’s tiresome.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2021 2:24]

Exceeding Expectations on 06:24 - Mar 19 with 663 views34dfgdf54

Exceeding Expectations on 00:11 - Mar 19 by Dr_Parnassus

He isn’t to anyone, he can play there but he isn’t a centre back. He’s a handy utility defender, but he’s a right back. Not sure why we are pretending otherwise. Just like Lowe isn’t a striker, he’s a winger playing up front and doing a job, how good that job differs depending on who you ask.

He isn’t to anyone, apart from the three football managers listed on the post you replied to.

Are you a football manager Dr P?
Exceeding Expectations on 06:32 - Mar 19 with 662 views34dfgdf54

Exceeding Expectations on 00:30 - Mar 19 by Dr_Parnassus

They are tired yes, as they should be - it’s March. Footballers are allowed to be tired. It’s sport.

My point regarding Cabango is entirely relevant. I said the second half of the season, Naughton was briefly injured in the first half of the season (as was Cabango). Cabango did his hammy in the warm up in the Brentford game and missed the Norwich game, from memory.

Whittaker is 200k, that’s not decent money. That’s a pittance. You have provided names that don’t seem at all like they would have been feasible options. You actually made the claim they could be brought in for less, yet wouldn’t name any figures and didn’t suggest any at the time. Bit of playing “hindsight Harry”.

The issue is you are making assumptions and claims that nothing seems to back. From Morris starting wouldn’t have affected results, to players we should have brought in. It’s an ever growing list of workarounds in order to slag off the manager. It’s tiresome.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2021 2:24]

It’s March, in a crazy season due to schedule, as pretty much every football manager and player are saying, including our own. This season more than ever needed players rotated.

Whittaker is £200k in your head now, but as I keep saying over and over, the source that when your argument suited was watertight, says differently.

And you keep getting the same things wrong over and over, I’m not saying we should have brought these players in I listed, that was just giving you examples you asked for, all would have been cheaper or similar to the Whittaker deal. I’m happy with us signing Whittaker, I like what I’ve seen of him, what I’m not happy with is a manager shirking is responsibility in managing his squad by using the same old excuses “he was brought in by club for a few seasons time”. Absolute rubbish. He’s a striker we paid over £700k for in the middle of a season we are battling for automatic promotion to the richest league in world. He’s sat on the bench watching Jamal Lowe struggle with form and fitness. No blame at all on Lowe for me, he’s run himself into ground.
Exceeding Expectations on 07:08 - Mar 19 with 652 viewsDr_Parnassus

Exceeding Expectations on 06:32 - Mar 19 by 34dfgdf54

It’s March, in a crazy season due to schedule, as pretty much every football manager and player are saying, including our own. This season more than ever needed players rotated.

Whittaker is £200k in your head now, but as I keep saying over and over, the source that when your argument suited was watertight, says differently.

And you keep getting the same things wrong over and over, I’m not saying we should have brought these players in I listed, that was just giving you examples you asked for, all would have been cheaper or similar to the Whittaker deal. I’m happy with us signing Whittaker, I like what I’ve seen of him, what I’m not happy with is a manager shirking is responsibility in managing his squad by using the same old excuses “he was brought in by club for a few seasons time”. Absolute rubbish. He’s a striker we paid over £700k for in the middle of a season we are battling for automatic promotion to the richest league in world. He’s sat on the bench watching Jamal Lowe struggle with form and fitness. No blame at all on Lowe for me, he’s run himself into ground.

Unfortunately we don't have the squad capable for such rotation.

Whittaker is 200k in most people's heads.

Transfermarkt may well say the total package that it may get to if various things are hit, we have been through this 5 times already. But what we paid was 200k according to many people who tend to know these things, do you agree this is likely to be the case? Or is your vendetta really stopping you from conceding a common sense point?

Where am I getting it wrong? I asked you for suitable players we could have brought in for 200k. You haven't named anyone suitable. You named a League 2 striker that you claimed had a good scoring record in League 1 despite never playing there... or ever having a good scoring record anywhere for that matter. Someone on 75k a week and someone on 35k a week.

Again, we didn't pay over 700k for Whittaker, you can petulantly say ''but you say that's a good source'' until you are blue in the face, it still doesn't change facts though. We had 200k that we spent on him and you haven't named a single alternative that would be ready to go. Not one.

Maybe the rest of the gang can help you out later?
[Post edited 19 Mar 2021 7:27]

Exceeding Expectations on 07:09 - Mar 19 with 651 viewsDr_Parnassus

Exceeding Expectations on 06:24 - Mar 19 by 34dfgdf54

He isn’t to anyone, apart from the three football managers listed on the post you replied to.

Are you a football manager Dr P?

He wasn't to them either, he was (and is) a utility option that can be used there.

Naughton is not a center back. He is a right back that plays there. That simple.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2021 7:29]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024