Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A little bit of European nostalgia 10:18 - Apr 12 with 617 viewsKeithHaynes

You have to be of a certain age but anyone recall this game, more so the away tie.
I would be interested to hear if anyone was in Malta, me and a mate made the away game, numerous jacks there, but it was quite weird. Not at all like the usual away European football experience. I’m in the process of trying to find the few photos I had of that game. Here’s the first leg info.

Wednesday September 15th 1982, European Cup Winners' Cup First Round First Leg
Swansea City 12 Sliema Wanderers (Malta) 0
Attendance: 5,130

Team: Davies: Marustik, Hadziabdic, Irwin, Kennedy, Rajkovic, Loveridge (sub: L James), R James, Charles, Stevenson, Latchford (sub: Walsh).
Goalscorers: Charles 2, Loveridge 2, Irwin, Latchford, Hadziabdic, Walsh 3, Rajkovic, Stevenson.

Not many clubs can boast that their record victory was achieved in a European tie. Fewer still that 8 different players scored goals in that victory including an eleven minute hat-trick from a substitute, Ian Walsh. However that was achieved by Welsh Cup holders Swansea City when they beat Sliema Wanderers 12-0 in an ECWC First Round First Leg match played at the Vetch Field in September 1982. That total was also the highest score by a Welsh side in any European match and after Swansea won the second leg 5-0 a fortnight later in Malta the aggregate score of 17-0 was another record for a Welsh side

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

A little bit of nostalgia on 10:24 - Apr 12 with 552 viewsBadlands

Good luck with the quest.
TBH I remeber being a little bored half way through the second have ... no pleasing some people 😊.
Didn't travel away though.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

A little bit of nostalgia on 10:30 - Apr 12 with 545 viewsKeithHaynes

A little bit of nostalgia on 10:24 - Apr 12 by Badlands

Good luck with the quest.
TBH I remeber being a little bored half way through the second have ... no pleasing some people 😊.
Didn't travel away though.

One of the less remembered and talked about games mate, the atmosphere at the home game was deflated, maybe getting to the magical 10-0 was just too much.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A little bit of nostalgia on 10:32 - Apr 12 with 539 viewsbuilthjack

Myself and my old man got to the home game. GOALS, GOALS, GOALS.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

A little bit of nostalgia on 10:45 - Apr 12 with 525 viewsKeithHaynes

A little bit of nostalgia on 10:32 - Apr 12 by builthjack

I think we beat Braga in the previous round, didn’t go to either, then after this it was PSG. I made the away tie for this, definitely more like a European tie, mayhem at times 😉

A little bit of European nostalgia on 11:13 - Apr 12 with 503 viewsCatullus

I still have the programme with Habziabdic's autograph on the front, looks more like Huatcho than Habziabdic mind!

I was 15, I saw in the Wing stand and I remember very little about the actual game besides those things. I think I need to upload things to an external memory drive because too much stuff seems to get deleted from my internal memory. I think it was all that alcohol I spilled on myself when I was younger.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

A little bit of nostalgia on 12:14 - Apr 12 with 478 viewsReslovenSwan1

A little bit of nostalgia on 10:45 - Apr 12 by KeithHaynes

I think we beat Braga in the previous round, didn’t go to either, then after this it was PSG. I made the away tie for this, definitely more like a European tie, mayhem at times 😉

Osvaldo Adiles was playing for PSG. He decided it would be wise to leave UK for a season after the Falklands Conflict. Case Kisst a Dutch centre forward score the winning goal. 0-1.

I do not recall Osvaldo get a rough reception from memory. A few robust challenges in the game perhaps.

Wise sage since Toshack era

A little bit of nostalgia on 12:19 - Apr 12 with 475 viewsKeithHaynes

A little bit of nostalgia on 12:14 - Apr 12 by ReslovenSwan1

Osvaldo Adiles was playing for PSG. He decided it would be wise to leave UK for a season after the Falklands Conflict. Case Kisst a Dutch centre forward score the winning goal. 0-1.

I do not recall Osvaldo get a rough reception from memory. A few robust challenges in the game perhaps.

I do recall tommy smith introducing him to the finer arts of tackling when ossie played for Spurs at the vetch. The away game inspired the ‘Swansea oh swansea’ song. Tommy would have been banned from the game for a few weeks nowadays, just got a ticking off. Ossie didn’t go near him after that and hardly touched the ball, too busy looking over his shoulder.

A little bit of nostalgia on 14:20 - Apr 12 with 429 viewsCatullus

A little bit of nostalgia on 12:19 - Apr 12 by KeithHaynes

I do recall tommy smith introducing him to the finer arts of tackling when ossie played for Spurs at the vetch. The away game inspired the ‘Swansea oh swansea’ song. Tommy would have been banned from the game for a few weeks nowadays, just got a ticking off. Ossie didn’t go near him after that and hardly touched the ball, too busy looking over his shoulder.

The finer arts? I rememebr Ossie doing a forced reverse somersault with pike and landing like a diver doing a belly flop!

Industrial tackles back then make todays players look like total wimps. If Son is going to hit the floor screaming after a tap on the cheek, what would he make of Tommy "the Anfield Iron" Smith?
Shankly said of him "Tommy Smith wasn't born, he wa quarried" and some of todays players would be off hiding behind the manager at the sight of him.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Login to get fewer ads

A little bit of nostalgia on 14:43 - Apr 12 with 419 viewsFireboy2

A little bit of nostalgia on 10:32 - Apr 12 by builthjack

And me, sneaked into the east stand but was quickly ushered out as we were so excited to get to sit in the new stand 🤣
A little bit of nostalgia on 14:49 - Apr 12 with 417 viewsKeithHaynes

A little bit of nostalgia on 14:20 - Apr 12 by Catullus

The finer arts? I rememebr Ossie doing a forced reverse somersault with pike and landing like a diver doing a belly flop!

Industrial tackles back then make todays players look like total wimps. If Son is going to hit the floor screaming after a tap on the cheek, what would he make of Tommy "the Anfield Iron" Smith?
Shankly said of him "Tommy Smith wasn't born, he wa quarried" and some of todays players would be off hiding behind the manager at the sight of him.

I know it’s easy to look back and say things were sometimes better. But Tommy Smith in a swans shirt was very reassuring. I think we were away at Crewe. Their midfielder spat at Tommy, back of the head. Those days, close to the field of play you could hear a lot, especially with 3k in the ground. Second half right in front of us Tommy let’s say tackled this lad. He didn’t make a noise, nothing, he was clean knocked out. Tommy pointed at him when he came round and shouted, thanks for the shower, i think you slipped on the floor. Genuine. Quick wink towards the swans fans, game continued.

A little bit of nostalgia on 15:13 - Apr 12 with 412 viewsTenbySwan

A little bit of nostalgia on 14:20 - Apr 12 by Catullus

Tommy Smith was manager if Caernarfon Town in the Welsh League for a short period before abruptly resigning.

When asked in a media interview why he had resigned he said that a player had pulled out the week before as he said he 'had a cold' , Smith said he would've played with a broken leg and wasnt putting up with such sh!t or words to that effect.
A little bit of nostalgia on 15:30 - Apr 12 with 399 viewsCatullus

A little bit of nostalgia on 14:49 - Apr 12 by KeithHaynes

I know it’s easy to look back and say things were sometimes better. But Tommy Smith in a swans shirt was very reassuring. I think we were away at Crewe. Their midfielder spat at Tommy, back of the head. Those days, close to the field of play you could hear a lot, especially with 3k in the ground. Second half right in front of us Tommy let’s say tackled this lad. He didn’t make a noise, nothing, he was clean knocked out. Tommy pointed at him when he came round and shouted, thanks for the shower, i think you slipped on the floor. Genuine. Quick wink towards the swans fans, game continued.

To be honest Keith, this new thing about considering the outcome of a tackle before you make it is completely absurd. You may have no time to stop and think, you either do or you don't and what happens, happens. Some players are terrible tacklers, whereas others get fairly tackled and flap around like a cod on a trawler deck moaning.

VAR was supposed to make things better but all it seems to have done is give credence to the play actors that infest what is still a contact sport.

Consider the outcome, next thing you know they'll have to fill out a health and safety evaluation before making the tackle

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024