Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cycling and cyclists 10:17 - Apr 22 with 496 viewsonehunglow

Few years back,I was well into motor bikes and used to regularly meet at the Ponderosa,a glorious spot(ok lifey,a Welsh thing of beauty)
It got tedious with comparisons of Tyres/Exhausts/Leathers/Boots/Gloves and how much they cost etc.

Now it seems they've moved on to cycles ,many at eye watering prices. School chum of my son dropped out of Grammar school and went to work in a local cycle shop.He was ridiculed. hope owner died and he bought the business with the help from his dad. Now he has an impressive property portfolio and had 3 bikes shops all selling bikes in the upper price range.Thousands of pounds worth.

He bought at the right time lucky boy,as now a real boom in bikes is here and talk in bke friendly cafes is about tyres,upgrades ,gearing and what your wearing. Its gone full circle.

Cyclists used to wave almost to a man,now not so,as more bikers seem pretentious poseurs. Some look down on you a they overtake. People are strange

We ve come a long way from cycle clips and capes,it seems.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Cycling and cyclists on 12:01 - Apr 22 with 467 viewsCatullus

A friend of mine imported an ultra lightweight sports bicycle from the USA, the bike alone cost over £4000.

He had it stolen from work. He works in the Uni and had chained it to a public bike rack....BUFFOON!

He bought another, cheaper bike, still over 1500 quid and overtook a car on the wrong side. the car wasn't indicating but turned and took him out, the bike was a write off and he was off work for 8 months!

Cycling eh....ok for pleasure on the promenade but these serious road cyclists are crazy!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Cycling and cyclists on 14:10 - Apr 22 with 441 viewsBoundy

Cycling and cyclists on 12:01 - Apr 22 by Catullus

A friend of mine imported an ultra lightweight sports bicycle from the USA, the bike alone cost over £4000.

He had it stolen from work. He works in the Uni and had chained it to a public bike rack....BUFFOON!

He bought another, cheaper bike, still over 1500 quid and overtook a car on the wrong side. the car wasn't indicating but turned and took him out, the bike was a write off and he was off work for 8 months!

Cycling eh....ok for pleasure on the promenade but these serious road cyclists are crazy!

The lighter the bike the dearer it is , with electric bikes now becoming more popular its great to see so many out and about , but I must admit some shouldn't be trusted to walk unaided let alone ride on a shared cycle track.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Cycling and cyclists on 14:13 - Apr 22 with 440 viewsonehunglow

I have a chum who is a former Pro and he says you can have whatever you want but still need an "engine" to do a dear bike justice.

Thanks anyway.

Proves my point

Cycling and cyclists on 18:06 - Apr 22 with 420 viewskrunchykarrot

I love going on my bike for a workout up the mountain, but i think all of the idiots thinking they are Bradley Wiggins muling along Mumbles Prom are pathetic. They are mostly over 45 in lycra stretched over a beer gut, some of them are on 4k plus bikes and get the hump with Mothers and Toddlers or if some elderly people need to be overtaken. The only good thing is occasionally they manage to get ambushed by the people whos dogs never shit on retractable leads.
Cycling and cyclists on 18:15 - Apr 22 with 413 viewsbritferry

Cycling and cyclists on 12:01 - Apr 22 by Catullus

I had a cheap bike and bought a combination lock for it, my mate saw it and opened the lock in about 20 seconds. He said he used to go down the Uni once a week and steal any bike that had one.

I still use the bike and the lock, don't really care if it gets nicked, just means I have to walk home.

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Cycling and cyclists on 18:17 - Apr 22 with 411 viewspencoedjack

Tell me why do cyclists cycle on a road when there is a cycle path next to it?
Cycling and cyclists on 18:34 - Apr 22 with 404 viewsonehunglow

Cycling and cyclists on 18:17 - Apr 22 by pencoedjack

Why do car drivers treat cyclists with contempt.most ,like me,are fine..Roads are not just for cars.

Cycling and cyclists on 18:37 - Apr 22 with 404 viewsCatullus

Cycling and cyclists on 18:17 - Apr 22 by pencoedjack

For all sorts of reasons including but not limited to,

Being a pain to motorists

Being a pain to motorists

Being a pain to motorists, and,

Being a pain to motorists!

It's their right isn't it, to slow down traffic, not stop at red lights but then complain about cars. To not stop at crossings and hit pedestrians, to ride 3 abreast on a very busy road and laugh at the dozens of cars stuck behind them.

Of course the rules changed quite recently giving cyclists and pedestrians more rights, basically these days the motorist is always wrong.

It's not all cyclists, most are ok but there a few cycling monsters out there!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

Cycling and cyclists on 18:44 - Apr 22 with 399 viewspencoedjack

Cycling and cyclists on 18:34 - Apr 22 by onehunglow

Why do car drivers treat cyclists with contempt.most ,like me,are fine..Roads are not just for cars.

That’s not really answering my question.

If the council spend 100’s of thousands of £s in creating a new cycle path parallel to a road why do middle aged men in Lycra feel the need to cycle on a road?

Maybe that’s why they get treated with contempt
Cycling and cyclists on 19:55 - Apr 22 with 385 viewsBoundy

Cycling and cyclists on 18:44 - Apr 22 by pencoedjack

That’s not really answering my question.

If the council spend 100’s of thousands of £s in creating a new cycle path parallel to a road why do middle aged men in Lycra feel the need to cycle on a road?

Maybe that’s why they get treated with contempt

There is no such thing as purely a cycle path , they're normally shared with pedestrians/ dog walkers small children etc . I cycle on the road especially in the summer months where the shared tracks are congested with little regard from either other cyclists or pedestrians. I've been cycling for as long as I can remember and lately its become a chore rather than the pleasure it used to be . This is mainly down to the the " me me mindset , get out of my way , you mustn't hold me up I'm so important" to cyclists who frankly have just taken it up but haven't a clue what they're doing or how they should behave . Like most traffic on the roads these days there's good and bad , the standard of driving these days is appalling and I believe thats can be seen in the actions of both cyclists and drivers.
Yes I wear lycra, not down to any fashion statement but you try sitting in the saddle for 60-70 miles and you'll soon realise it can be painfully uncomfortable . Just remember this, very rarely when a motor vehicle and cyclist collide does the cyclist come out of it without some sort of injury . I certainly don't ride to piss other road users off but that can't be said of too many others I'm afraid

PS I'm rapidly leaving middle age .
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 19:56]

Cycling and cyclists on 20:05 - Apr 22 with 373 viewspencoedjack

Cycling and cyclists on 19:55 - Apr 22 by Boundy

There is no such thing as purely a cycle path , they're normally shared with pedestrians/ dog walkers small children etc . I cycle on the road especially in the summer months where the shared tracks are congested with little regard from either other cyclists or pedestrians. I've been cycling for as long as I can remember and lately its become a chore rather than the pleasure it used to be . This is mainly down to the the " me me mindset , get out of my way , you mustn't hold me up I'm so important" to cyclists who frankly have just taken it up but haven't a clue what they're doing or how they should behave . Like most traffic on the roads these days there's good and bad , the standard of driving these days is appalling and I believe thats can be seen in the actions of both cyclists and drivers.
Yes I wear lycra, not down to any fashion statement but you try sitting in the saddle for 60-70 miles and you'll soon realise it can be painfully uncomfortable . Just remember this, very rarely when a motor vehicle and cyclist collide does the cyclist come out of it without some sort of injury . I certainly don't ride to piss other road users off but that can't be said of too many others I'm afraid

I’d move to Bridgend they have dedicated cycle paths.

It would be nice to someone use them 👍
Cycling and cyclists on 20:29 - Apr 22 with 366 viewsFlashberryjack

Cycling and cyclists on 20:05 - Apr 22 by pencoedjack

I’d move to Bridgend they have dedicated cycle paths.

It would be nice to someone use them 👍

I know this has been done to death, but cyclists riding two or more abreast does my nut in.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Cycling and cyclists on 20:30 - Apr 22 with 364 viewspencoedjack

Cycling and cyclists on 20:29 - Apr 22 by Flashberryjack

I know this has been done to death, but cyclists riding two or more abreast does my nut in.

You might have guessed I’m in agreement Flash
Cycling and cyclists on 20:43 - Apr 22 with 356 viewsBoundy

How about tractors ? , its safer for both the cyclist and motorist to ride two abreast than to have them spaced out singly as the overtaking time is reduced .

Cycling and cyclists on 21:06 - Apr 22 with 349 viewsraynor94

Totally agree, and since lockdown, it's like a fancy dress parade on the prom with middle aged men in lycra.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Cycling and cyclists on 21:22 - Apr 22 with 336 viewsFlashberryjack

Cycling and cyclists on 20:43 - Apr 22 by Boundy

How about tractors ? , its safer for both the cyclist and motorist to ride two abreast than to have them spaced out singly as the overtaking time is reduced .

Nonsense.

Hello

Cycling and cyclists on 21:27 - Apr 22 with 328 viewsBoundy

Cycling and cyclists on 21:22 - Apr 22 by Flashberryjack

Nonsense.

which part tractors or riding two abreast

Cycling and cyclists on 21:38 - Apr 22 with 316 viewsFlashberryjack

Cycling and cyclists on 21:27 - Apr 22 by Boundy

which part tractors or riding two abreast

Riding two abreast.

I haven't encountered tractors driving two or more abreast.

Hello

Cycling and cyclists on 22:06 - Apr 22 with 297 viewsBoundy

Cycling and cyclists on 21:38 - Apr 22 by Flashberryjack

Riding two abreast.

I haven't encountered tractors driving two or more abreast.

But they're as slow as a cyclist and take up the same space as cyclists riding two abreast , which is legal under rule 66 of the highway code and recommended to keep them selves safe .
I'm out but this thread reminds me that regardless of how considerate I maybe towards others I suspect many are not prepared to reciprocate , just because ?

Cycling and cyclists on 22:09 - Apr 22 with 295 viewsBarrySwan

Cycling and cyclists on 19:55 - Apr 22 by Boundy

There is no such thing as purely a cycle path

Uh yes there is.

There is no point in spending millions on cycle paths unless there is enforced legislation making cyclists use them when they are present.

I usually do a quite a fair bit of driving including after dark and I estimate that certainly around the extended area that I live 90% of cyclists don't have lights on their bikes after dark and the overwhelming majority wear dark clothing for some obscure reason presumably just to make themselves even harder to spot in poor light.

Time to introduce legislation that all cyclists must be insured , wear fluorescent top covers. pass a proper cycle road test before being allowed on the highway and have an identifying number on their top so that they can be prosecuted if not obeying highway traffic laws.
Cycling and cyclists on 09:05 - Apr 23 with 256 viewsonehunglow

Cycling and cyclists on 22:09 - Apr 22 by BarrySwan

There is no such thing as purely a cycle path

Uh yes there is.

There is no point in spending millions on cycle paths unless there is enforced legislation making cyclists use them when they are present.

I usually do a quite a fair bit of driving including after dark and I estimate that certainly around the extended area that I live 90% of cyclists don't have lights on their bikes after dark and the overwhelming majority wear dark clothing for some obscure reason presumably just to make themselves even harder to spot in poor light.

Time to introduce legislation that all cyclists must be insured , wear fluorescent top covers. pass a proper cycle road test before being allowed on the highway and have an identifying number on their top so that they can be prosecuted if not obeying highway traffic laws.

Last paragraph is key Kev.

Cycling and cyclists on 09:09 - Apr 23 with 255 viewsonehunglow

Cycling and cyclists on 21:06 - Apr 22 by raynor94

Totally agree, and since lockdown, it's like a fancy dress parade on the prom with middle aged men in lycra.

Lycra is better for comfort.
It also protects.

Why do drivers till use their mobile when driving

Cycling and cyclists on 09:26 - Apr 23 with 249 viewspencoedjack

Cycling and cyclists on 20:43 - Apr 22 by Boundy

I haven't seen many tractor paths.
Cycling and cyclists on 09:55 - Apr 23 with 234 viewsonehunglow

Cycling and cyclists on 09:26 - Apr 23 by pencoedjack

I haven't seen many tractor paths.

How about horses.Big problem here
Pippa and Penny out with nags with beige jodpurs,reflective jackets,a smug snooty insouchiance to anyone with the temerity to pass them as they gab about the next gymkhana .

Beep when you past these barastuds

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024