Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider 09:17 - Apr 23 with 1219 viewsbritferry

that the English adopted from the French.

I got one question... why the hell is the narrowest part of the Irish sea between Wales & Ireland named after him ???

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 09:29 - Apr 23 with 794 viewsCatullus

That's what google is for!

St George (allegedly) came to Britain from the Byzantine Empire in 1578 and came via the strip of water they then called "St Georges channel"

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 09:34 - Apr 23 with 784 viewsbritferry

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 09:29 - Apr 23 by Catullus

That's what google is for!

St George (allegedly) came to Britain from the Byzantine Empire in 1578 and came via the strip of water they then called "St Georges channel"

absolute bollox!!!

should be renamed to something more suitable.... We Both Hate England Channel

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 09:36 - Apr 23 with 781 viewsonehunglow

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 09:34 - Apr 23 by britferry

absolute bollox!!!

lol.

Where's killy and tramps then

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 09:41 - Apr 23 with 779 viewsProfessor

Turkish rather than Palestinian, but a Christian Roman Officer martyred in the 4th Century. May have killed a lizard in Libya. No link to Ingerlund. Also patron saint of (unsurprisingly) Georgia, Catalonia and most significantly Ethiopia where he also the prominent saint of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church (which I was accidentally baptised into-long story).

More importantly St Georges in the largest brewery in Ethiopia and may have sampled a few of his products.
that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 09:42 - Apr 23 with 776 viewsProfessor

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 09:41 - Apr 23 by Professor

Turkish rather than Palestinian, but a Christian Roman Officer martyred in the 4th Century. May have killed a lizard in Libya. No link to Ingerlund. Also patron saint of (unsurprisingly) Georgia, Catalonia and most significantly Ethiopia where he also the prominent saint of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church (which I was accidentally baptised into-long story).

More importantly St Georges in the largest brewery in Ethiopia and may have sampled a few of his products.

The bottles show the 'dragon' killing. It's a major icon in the church there.
that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 10:30 - Apr 23 with 764 viewsCatullus

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 09:34 - Apr 23 by britferry

absolute bollox!!!

Really? Who gets so worked up over it?

There's always a reason to hate I guess.

Hep Professor, that long story...go on then!

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 11:07 - Apr 23 with 757 viewsProfessor

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 10:30 - Apr 23 by Catullus

Really? Who gets so worked up over it?

There's always a reason to hate I guess.

Hep Professor, that long story...go on then!

As you may know Cat my expertise is in avian infection and immunology. Between 2010-2015, we had a major project in Ethiopia mapping disease in village chickens, as well as finding out about the genetics of the birds with aim to improve breeding to make the birds more resistant to the diseases they are exposed to-the latter part is now ongoing by our colleagues in Edinburgh with money from that terrible Bill Gates (we are not involved in this).

We did the work (Liverpool, Edinburgh and Nottingham) with the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) in Addis Ababa and the Ethiopian Institute for Agricultural Research (EIAR) in a town called Debre Zeit (in Amaharic) or Bishoftuu (in Oromofaa where we had a lab and our team lived for much of the year. I went out in 2010 to survey the lab site and interview for some PhD students. In 20111 the whole team went out in January to do a pilot survey (the sample sites were in remote villages many hours from Addis) and stayed at ILRI for 10 days or so to work out the logistics, do the pilot and debrief. Now, Ethiopia works on a different calendar to us-we use the Julian calendar, they use the Gregorian. It is currently 2013 in Ethiopia and the have 13, not 12 months. It also mean Ethiopian Christmas is in January with Epiphany at the end of the month. Epiphany is the biggest holiday in the Ethiopian Church. Our visit coincided with the public holiday. We get dragged over to the racecourse for the big 'event'. On Epiphany each church parades it's ark of the covenant around the town/village with everyone in their finery. The big churches in Addis do this as a parade in the racecourse. Cue about 100, 000 people in the racecourse watching a parade of arks, horses, men, women and kids. It was quite a spectacle.

On top of this there are about 30 clergymen perched on a fort-like structure with a big PA system giving the blessing in Ge'ez-the old language of Ethiopia-think Latin and the Catholic Church.
The prayers are sung -not unlike Islam. Next thing they start up the holy water-spraying the crowd with hose pipes and giving the blessing.

Next think we know-we are soaked from behind by a sprinkler. One of the clergy spots us Farenji (foreigners) getting a dousing-he points out to us (me and my colleague Rob), gives us the blessing. At which point our Ethiopian partner Tadelle creases up laughing-we have been baptised.

So we celebrate with a special meal (including raw meat) and a few cold St George's beers.

I love the country Cat-and the current near-civil war breaks my heart.
that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 11:15 - Apr 23 with 754 viewsonehunglow

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 11:07 - Apr 23 by Professor

As you may know Cat my expertise is in avian infection and immunology. Between 2010-2015, we had a major project in Ethiopia mapping disease in village chickens, as well as finding out about the genetics of the birds with aim to improve breeding to make the birds more resistant to the diseases they are exposed to-the latter part is now ongoing by our colleagues in Edinburgh with money from that terrible Bill Gates (we are not involved in this).

We did the work (Liverpool, Edinburgh and Nottingham) with the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) in Addis Ababa and the Ethiopian Institute for Agricultural Research (EIAR) in a town called Debre Zeit (in Amaharic) or Bishoftuu (in Oromofaa where we had a lab and our team lived for much of the year. I went out in 2010 to survey the lab site and interview for some PhD students. In 20111 the whole team went out in January to do a pilot survey (the sample sites were in remote villages many hours from Addis) and stayed at ILRI for 10 days or so to work out the logistics, do the pilot and debrief. Now, Ethiopia works on a different calendar to us-we use the Julian calendar, they use the Gregorian. It is currently 2013 in Ethiopia and the have 13, not 12 months. It also mean Ethiopian Christmas is in January with Epiphany at the end of the month. Epiphany is the biggest holiday in the Ethiopian Church. Our visit coincided with the public holiday. We get dragged over to the racecourse for the big 'event'. On Epiphany each church parades it's ark of the covenant around the town/village with everyone in their finery. The big churches in Addis do this as a parade in the racecourse. Cue about 100, 000 people in the racecourse watching a parade of arks, horses, men, women and kids. It was quite a spectacle.

On top of this there are about 30 clergymen perched on a fort-like structure with a big PA system giving the blessing in Ge'ez-the old language of Ethiopia-think Latin and the Catholic Church.
The prayers are sung -not unlike Islam. Next thing they start up the holy water-spraying the crowd with hose pipes and giving the blessing.

Next think we know-we are soaked from behind by a sprinkler. One of the clergy spots us Farenji (foreigners) getting a dousing-he points out to us (me and my colleague Rob), gives us the blessing. At which point our Ethiopian partner Tadelle creases up laughing-we have been baptised.

So we celebrate with a special meal (including raw meat) and a few cold St George's beers.

Religion Paul.Religion

Login to get fewer ads

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 12:03 - Apr 23 with 742 viewsProfessor

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 11:15 - Apr 23 by onehunglow

Religion Paul.Religion

Not in this case-distinct ethnicities and language groups causing friction. Oromia and Tigray see themselves distinct from Amhara (traditionally the rulers of the Solomonite Empire). Goes back to the overthrow of Haile Selassie in 1974, the rise of the 'communist' Derg and their overthrow (largely through Tigrayan efforts in 1992 (The 84/85 famine is very related to this). There have been Tigrayan leaders since the Derg were overthrown, but the current guy is Oromian. Although there is peace with Eritrea now, both the Oromia and Tigray independence movements have had some traction which has really led to the current problems. There are many other small ethnic groups, but Oromia makes up about 38% of the population, Amhara 30% and Tigray 25%. Other than around the Somalian border, Christians (about 55%) and muslims (40%) have little conflict. There are still a few zoroastrians, but most of the jews were airlifted out by Israel to escape the Derg.
that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 12:08 - Apr 23 with 736 viewsonehunglow

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 12:03 - Apr 23 by Professor

Not in this case-distinct ethnicities and language groups causing friction. Oromia and Tigray see themselves distinct from Amhara (traditionally the rulers of the Solomonite Empire). Goes back to the overthrow of Haile Selassie in 1974, the rise of the 'communist' Derg and their overthrow (largely through Tigrayan efforts in 1992 (The 84/85 famine is very related to this). There have been Tigrayan leaders since the Derg were overthrown, but the current guy is Oromian. Although there is peace with Eritrea now, both the Oromia and Tigray independence movements have had some traction which has really led to the current problems. There are many other small ethnic groups, but Oromia makes up about 38% of the population, Amhara 30% and Tigray 25%. Other than around the Somalian border, Christians (about 55%) and muslims (40%) have little conflict. There are still a few zoroastrians, but most of the jews were airlifted out by Israel to escape the Derg.

Thank for that information but I am still not convinced religion is not in some wat at the root .

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 12:12 - Apr 23 with 737 viewsbritferry

he never came anywhere near the UK, the English made up that he visited so they would feel better about having him as their saint, especially as they adopted him via the French Plantagenets

A more appropriate Saint to call the channel after would be Patrick, who allegedly was born in Wales

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 15:42 - Apr 23 with 695 viewsCatullus

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 11:07 - Apr 23 by Professor

Great story Prof. I've never been to Africa but I used to have friends (made at the school gates) one from Ghana the other from South Africa and theywere wonderful people, always smiling.

My cousin was working in Africa on building projects ( Surveyor ) and he told me everybody he met was brilliant, he always felt safe there....Sierra Leone.

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 15:44 - Apr 23 with 690 viewsCatullus

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 12:12 - Apr 23 by britferry

he never came anywhere near the UK, the English made up that he visited so they would feel better about having him as their saint, especially as they adopted him via the French Plantagenets

A more appropriate Saint to call the channel after would be Patrick, who allegedly was born in Wales

Why name them after Saints in the first place? Even so it's only a name, what's in a name.

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 17:32 - Apr 23 with 675 viewsbritferry

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 15:44 - Apr 23 by Catullus

Why name them after Saints in the first place? Even so it's only a name, what's in a name.

ok then, can you see the English having their Channel named St Davids Channel ???

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 18:26 - Apr 23 with 665 viewsCatullus

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 17:32 - Apr 23 by britferry

ok then, can you see the English having their Channel named St Davids Channel ???

The French call it "La Manche" the English can call it what they like. It doesn't matter to me.

It's not worth getting worked up about, there are many more important things.

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 19:01 - Apr 23 with 645 viewsKilkennyjack

St George never set foot in England.
Also never killed a dragon.
Also born in Turkey.
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Beware of the Risen People

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 19:08 - Apr 23 with 647 viewsfelixstowe_jack

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 12:12 - Apr 23 by britferry

St Patrick was Welsh captured by Irish slavers. He escaped eventually. When are the Irish going to apologise for enslaving Welsh people?

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 20:11 - Apr 23 with 634 viewsCatullus

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 19:01 - Apr 23 by Kilkennyjack

St George never set foot in England.
Also never killed a dragon.
Also born in Turkey.
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

They're just religiou stories told by the church to manipulate the masses.

Look at Saint Andrew, the patron saint of 7 countries. It's nothing to get wound up about.

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 20:54 - Apr 23 with 629 viewsGwyn737

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 20:11 - Apr 23 by Catullus

They're just religiou stories told by the church to manipulate the masses.

Look at Saint Andrew, the patron saint of 7 countries. It's nothing to get wound up about.

Yep.

Also I’ve not seen an English flag, a national anthem or a mention on the news today. Only thing I’ve seen is on here.

This by some will be seen as lack of national pride. Of course, if there was big fuss made of the day the same people would be calling out English arrogance.
that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 21:52 - Apr 23 with 621 viewsbritferry

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 20:54 - Apr 23 by Gwyn737

Yep.

Also I’ve not seen an English flag, a national anthem or a mention on the news today. Only thing I’ve seen is on here.

This by some will be seen as lack of national pride. Of course, if there was big fuss made of the day the same people would be calling out English arrogance.

I saw it this morning on the telly, which is how I knew what the day was.... Friday

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 21:59 - Apr 23 with 616 viewsGwyn737

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 21:52 - Apr 23 by britferry

I saw it this morning on the telly, which is how I knew what the day was.... Friday

Nowt on Meridian (that I’ve seen anyway).
that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 23:38 - Apr 23 with 606 viewsKilkennyjack

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 20:54 - Apr 23 by Gwyn737

Yep.

Johnson remembered ......

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 10:17 - Apr 24 with 580 viewsProfessor

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 21:59 - Apr 23 by Gwyn737

Nowt on Meridian (that I’ve seen anyway).

Shakespeare’s birthday too
that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 10:35 - Apr 24 with 577 viewsCatullus

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 21:52 - Apr 23 by britferry

It was mentioned on breakfast tv but honestly, they mention St Davids day too, they've even mentioned ST Dwynwens day too.

Why would anybody get so worked up about it? Maybe it's just an anti English thing. If it riles people up so much maybe they shoudl just watch S Pedwar eck because national tv is always going to mention these days.

As the Prof aid, Shakespeares birthday too, didn't see that mentioned anywhere. I've just looked it up, he was baptised on the 26th 1564 and died on 23rd April 1616. Not such a happy birthday.

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 10:42 - Apr 24 with 570 viewsKilkennyjack

that Greek-Palestinian Roman solider on 10:35 - Apr 24 by Catullus

It was mentioned on breakfast tv but honestly, they mention St Davids day too, they've even mentioned ST Dwynwens day too.

Why would anybody get so worked up about it? Maybe it's just an anti English thing. If it riles people up so much maybe they shoudl just watch S Pedwar eck because national tv is always going to mention these days.

As the Prof aid, Shakespeares birthday too, didn't see that mentioned anywhere. I've just looked it up, he was baptised on the 26th 1564 and died on 23rd April 1616. Not such a happy birthday.

Nobody is worked up about it.
It happens every year.

Good to ensure the gammons always remember he was born in Turkey and never visited England.
Just saying .... 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024