Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cooper on Strikers 14:19 - Apr 29 with 5155 views34dfgdf54

<<Everyone knows we haven’t had a striker all season. We had to find a way to get goals and to win games. We’ve done that this year enough to keep us in this play-off hunt. >>

Yes you have Steve.

Ayew - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/andre-ayew/profil/spieler/45403
The highest paid striker in league

Lowe - Who you brought in to be a striker. You said yourself. - “He’s been a winger and we’ve brought him in with a certain idea to build him."

Vik Gyokeres - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/54375512

Whittaker - Expensive

Cullen - U23 goal machine. Decent goalscoring ratio at senior level too.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 14:20]
Cooper on Strikers on 14:24 - Apr 29 with 2096 viewsDr_Winston

What he meant to say was we haven't had a striker who used to play in his England u17's team. Easy mistake to make.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Cooper on Strikers on 14:34 - Apr 29 with 2096 viewsChief

What's sparked this again now?
- Ayew - Attacking midfielder / winger, done a job as a striker.
- Lowe - Winger, being played as a striker for the first time in his career.
- Gyorkeres - recalled by his club in January and is not very good.
- Cullen - long injury lay off, currently just a prospect.
- Whittaker - Winger, inexperienced, one for the future.

That's the reality of it.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Cooper on Strikers on 14:38 - Apr 29 with 2088 views34dfgdf54

Cooper on Strikers on 14:34 - Apr 29 by Chief

What's sparked this again now?
- Ayew - Attacking midfielder / winger, done a job as a striker.
- Lowe - Winger, being played as a striker for the first time in his career.
- Gyorkeres - recalled by his club in January and is not very good.
- Cullen - long injury lay off, currently just a prospect.
- Whittaker - Winger, inexperienced, one for the future.

That's the reality of it.

Press conference today.

"Not having a striker all season" is false. That's the reality of it.

Ayew played centre forward for us when we were in the premier league, he plays centre forward for Ghana, he now plays centre forward for us in Championship. It's a common theme.

He signed Lowe to play up front, said it when he signed, said it again in January I believe.

He also signed Vik, he said himself we were after him way before he signed, and he's also a centre forward.

Cullen also.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 14:47]
Cooper on Strikers on 14:51 - Apr 29 with 2068 viewsjasper_T

He must mean he hasn't had a classic centre forward to smash long balls towards. Doesn't make sense otherwise. Playing with a front two benefits from the types of forward players he's had at his disposal, who are comfortable pulling into wide areas. And it's been his choice not to give Cullen, Gyokeres, Whittaker more chances to develop and establish themselves when Ayew and Lowe needed breathers.
Cooper on Strikers on 14:53 - Apr 29 with 2061 views34dfgdf54

Cooper on Strikers on 14:51 - Apr 29 by jasper_T

He must mean he hasn't had a classic centre forward to smash long balls towards. Doesn't make sense otherwise. Playing with a front two benefits from the types of forward players he's had at his disposal, who are comfortable pulling into wide areas. And it's been his choice not to give Cullen, Gyokeres, Whittaker more chances to develop and establish themselves when Ayew and Lowe needed breathers.

It was also his choice fully to bring in Gyokeres, unless he was lying?

“First of all, we are delighted he is here,” said the Swans head coach.

"We are grateful to Brighton for the way they’ve been in terms of communication and believing we are the right club for Viktor, because we believe he’s right for us.

“We have had to wait patiently for Viktor because he’s a player we really wanted. He was one we identified very early on in preparation for this season as a good fit.

“We have got a striker that has some good experience behind him on a domestic and international level despite being relatively young.

“He can do all sides of the game. He scores goals and is a handful of a player, but at the same time he’s a good footballer who really works hard for the team, which we really like in all areas of the pitch"
Cooper on Strikers on 15:03 - Apr 29 with 2051 viewsChief

We've been shoe horning players into the strikers position

Cooper on Strikers on 15:11 - Apr 29 with 2038 viewsWhiterockin

Just manger speak for " I asked for a centre forward and you didn't get any of the players I wanted, if you had we would have been promoted by now".
Cooper on Strikers on 15:12 - Apr 29 with 2031 viewsjasper_T

Whittaker was a central striker through the development age groups at Derby, says that's his position, but is the type of player (fast, technical) that often gets shunted wide when they're being introduced to senior football. That's how it went for him at Derby, not given chances in his position.

He'll be disappointed if we see him as a winger.

edit: Ayew on the other hand is the opposite - thinks he's a winger but is better as a classic striker, holding the ball up and getting in the box to score goals. Never had the pace or delivery to regularly threaten from a touchline.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 15:14]
Login to get fewer ads

Cooper on Strikers on 15:14 - Apr 29 with 2024 views34dfgdf54

Cooper on Strikers on 15:03 - Apr 29 by Chief

Absolute bull.
Cooper on Strikers on 15:15 - Apr 29 with 2020 views34dfgdf54

Cooper on Strikers on 15:12 - Apr 29 by jasper_T

Whittaker was a central striker through the development age groups at Derby, says that's his position, but is the type of player (fast, technical) that often gets shunted wide when they're being introduced to senior football. That's how it went for him at Derby, not given chances in his position.

He'll be disappointed if we see him as a winger.

edit: Ayew on the other hand is the opposite - thinks he's a winger but is better as a classic striker, holding the ball up and getting in the box to score goals. Never had the pace or delivery to regularly threaten from a touchline.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 15:14]

Your edit, pretty much every side/manager he has played for agrees. Hence why he's played at Centre Forward for the majority of his career, internationally and club.
Cooper on Strikers on 15:17 - Apr 29 with 2019 viewsjasper_T

Cooper on Strikers on 15:15 - Apr 29 by 34dfgdf54

Your edit, pretty much every side/manager he has played for agrees. Hence why he's played at Centre Forward for the majority of his career, internationally and club.

Guidolin had him sussed.
Cooper on Strikers on 15:36 - Apr 29 with 1995 views9MilesHigh

To CHIEF:

Dear me, you've got to admire your fawning, It's emotional and unconditional.

ps - when was the last time the Swans had 2 players score more than 15 in a season?

Cooper is full of cach!! And why he is allowed to peddle his "put me in the shop window" nonsense I'll never know....

Maybe it's because he's best mates with the Wales online guy.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 15:44]
Cooper on Strikers on 15:38 - Apr 29 with 1994 views9MilesHigh

Cooper on Strikers on 15:03 - Apr 29 by Chief

We'll be shoe-horning fans into the stadium to watch Cooper's crap if he carries on as he's done.
Cooper on Strikers on 15:41 - Apr 29 with 1997 viewsChief

Cooper on Strikers on 15:38 - Apr 29 by 9MilesHigh

We'll be shoe-horning fans into the stadium to watch Cooper's crap if he carries on as he's done.

Only the plastics

Cooper on Strikers on 17:28 - Apr 29 with 1921 viewsjack247

Subjective.

My view, Cullen is a striker. Gyokores is a striker, he just wasn’t very good.

Whether it’s Ayews best position or not, most clubs in the Championship would be delighted to have him as their centre forward.

Lowe isn’t a striker. We haven’t seen enough of Whittaker.

Regardless of that, we brought 5 players in when we sold Rodon. We brought Morris, Arriola Whittaker and Freeman in the winter window. There was presumably plenty of opportunity to forego one or two of those and bring a traditional centre forward in if that’s what he wanted to do. Can’t really make the excuse of not being able to get one.
Cooper on Strikers on 17:48 - Apr 29 with 1900 viewsonehunglow

Cooper on Strikers on 17:28 - Apr 29 by jack247

Subjective.

Whether it’s Ayews best position or not, most clubs in the Championship would be delighted to have him as their centre forward.

Regardless of that, we brought 5 players in when we sold Rodon. We brought Morris, Arriola Whittaker and Freeman in the winter window. There was presumably plenty of opportunity to forego one or two of those and bring a traditional centre forward in if that’s what he wanted to do. Can’t really make the excuse of not being able to get one.

indeed

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Cooper on Strikers on 07:53 - Apr 30 with 1709 views34dfgdf54

Cooper on Strikers on 17:28 - Apr 29 by jack247

Subjective.

You can have that opinion on Gyokeres, that's fine, I actually agree from what I have seen of them. But Cooper's had his ass in his hands since we didn't sign a striker in January and is using the term over and over we haven't had one all season.

We have, again, we have the highest paid striker in the league, we have a striker who you may feel is a winger, but Cooper said himself he was bringing him in to change his role to a forward, he also had Gyokeres who he actively pursued most of the summer. Blaming everyone else but himself is getting tiring. Garry Monk MK2.
Cooper on Strikers on 08:43 - Apr 30 with 1694 viewsjack247

Cooper on Strikers on 07:53 - Apr 30 by 34dfgdf54

You can have that opinion on Gyokeres, that's fine, I actually agree from what I have seen of them. But Cooper's had his ass in his hands since we didn't sign a striker in January and is using the term over and over we haven't had one all season.

We have, again, we have the highest paid striker in the league, we have a striker who you may feel is a winger, but Cooper said himself he was bringing him in to change his role to a forward, he also had Gyokeres who he actively pursued most of the summer. Blaming everyone else but himself is getting tiring. Garry Monk MK2.

I agree. His toys will go right out the pram if we start next season badly. I’m not a fan of his playing style and his demeanour doesn’t inspire much confidence.

But, a very important caveat, he’s within 3 games of the PL after reaching the playoffs in his first season. It seems in spite of him to me too, but you can’t argue with his results.
Cooper on Strikers on 08:52 - Apr 30 with 1689 views34dfgdf54

Cooper on Strikers on 08:43 - Apr 30 by jack247

I agree. His toys will go right out the pram if we start next season badly. I’m not a fan of his playing style and his demeanour doesn’t inspire much confidence.

But, a very important caveat, he’s within 3 games of the PL after reaching the playoffs in his first season. It seems in spite of him to me too, but you can’t argue with his results.

As much as I dislike his style, I wouldn't say it's in spite of him as his loanees from his FA connections have worked wonders. But that pool has now dried up and I worry about next season with him in charge of a team without.
Cooper on Strikers on 08:55 - Apr 30 with 1687 viewsChief

Cooper on Strikers on 08:52 - Apr 30 by 34dfgdf54

As much as I dislike his style, I wouldn't say it's in spite of him as his loanees from his FA connections have worked wonders. But that pool has now dried up and I worry about next season with him in charge of a team without.

How do you know its dried up? Still plenty of youngsters that he'd have managed in the England youth set up around not getting games. Gibbs White being an obvious example.

Cooper on Strikers on 08:56 - Apr 30 with 1684 views34dfgdf54

Cooper on Strikers on 08:55 - Apr 30 by Chief

How do you know its dried up? Still plenty of youngsters that he'd have managed in the England youth set up around not getting games. Gibbs White being an obvious example.

We shall see.
Cooper on Strikers on 09:30 - Apr 30 with 1673 viewsChief

Cooper on Strikers on 08:56 - Apr 30 by 34dfgdf54

We shall see.

I agree it's finite, but think there's a few seasons left in it yet.

Maybe we can look at Harvey Elliott, Sam Greenwood, Palmer, MGW.

His success with working with these youngsters may also translate to loaning younger ones who he hadn't directly worked with too.

Cooper on Strikers on 09:36 - Apr 30 with 1668 viewsDr_Parnassus

Agree with the comments above.

Ayew is a forward, not a striker. Bale has played as a striker for his club and country at times too, but he’s not one. Other teams loving to Ayew him is not an argument for it being his correct position either, I’m sure lots of teams would love Lowe as their striker, but he is still a winger converted to be one due to the needs of the team, he’s a work in progress that has been relatively successful. But the fact he isn’t a natural striker often shows itself to be the case with some of his finishing an decision making.

Whittaker was bought as a cheap option taking advantage of Derby’s predicament and an investment for the future. Gyokeres was (and is rubbish), Morris was injured after 5 league games leaving Cullen who was injured for 3 months.. but very much a part of our team now.

I concur with Cooper that we haven’t really had an out and out striker all season of sufficient standard. We have had a gaggle of players that can play there, it’s the Naughton at CB debate. I back our owners as I know we could have so much worse, but they have failed to recruit the required players at times, striker being the obvious one this season.

We have done extremely well to make do.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2021 9:48]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Cooper on Strikers on 10:43 - Apr 30 with 1641 views34dfgdf54

Cooper on Strikers on 09:36 - Apr 30 by Dr_Parnassus

Agree with the comments above.

Ayew is a forward, not a striker. Bale has played as a striker for his club and country at times too, but he’s not one. Other teams loving to Ayew him is not an argument for it being his correct position either, I’m sure lots of teams would love Lowe as their striker, but he is still a winger converted to be one due to the needs of the team, he’s a work in progress that has been relatively successful. But the fact he isn’t a natural striker often shows itself to be the case with some of his finishing an decision making.

Whittaker was bought as a cheap option taking advantage of Derby’s predicament and an investment for the future. Gyokeres was (and is rubbish), Morris was injured after 5 league games leaving Cullen who was injured for 3 months.. but very much a part of our team now.

I concur with Cooper that we haven’t really had an out and out striker all season of sufficient standard. We have had a gaggle of players that can play there, it’s the Naughton at CB debate. I back our owners as I know we could have so much worse, but they have failed to recruit the required players at times, striker being the obvious one this season.

We have done extremely well to make do.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2021 9:48]

*Ayew is a centre forward, always has been really other than a few cameos elsewhere.

*Lowe, whether he was a winger or not, was brought in to play as a striker, Cooper said that himself when he spoke to Lowe before him signing on the dotted line.

*Whittaker, as Jasper said has always played striker in age grade, but if you think he is a winger, then fair enough.

*Morris - Centre Forward

*Cullen - Centre Forward

*Gyokeres - Cooper tracked him, pursued him all summer. Got his man, and said himself when he signed "centre forward"

*Naughton, whether you think he is a centre half or not, is completely irrelevant, our manager believes he is, and that's where has has played him, said himself again when Naughton extended stay.

Coopers comments are wrong.
Cooper on Strikers on 10:49 - Apr 30 with 1636 viewsDr_Parnassus

Cooper on Strikers on 10:43 - Apr 30 by 34dfgdf54

*Ayew is a centre forward, always has been really other than a few cameos elsewhere.

*Lowe, whether he was a winger or not, was brought in to play as a striker, Cooper said that himself when he spoke to Lowe before him signing on the dotted line.

*Whittaker, as Jasper said has always played striker in age grade, but if you think he is a winger, then fair enough.

*Morris - Centre Forward

*Cullen - Centre Forward

*Gyokeres - Cooper tracked him, pursued him all summer. Got his man, and said himself when he signed "centre forward"

*Naughton, whether you think he is a centre half or not, is completely irrelevant, our manager believes he is, and that's where has has played him, said himself again when Naughton extended stay.

>>>>>> (He has been a forward, he isn't a center forward but has played there). <<<<<<

>>>>> (If Kasper Schmeichel was brought in to be a striker, he still wouldn't be one. He is a work in progress). <<<<<<<

>>>>>>>(Where did I say he is a winger?)<<<<<<<<

*Morris - Centre Forward

>>>>> (A striker in his off season who featured in all but 1 games he was here, we won all but one league game prior to his injury, a draw with 10 men against Brentford). <<<<<<

*Cullen - Centre Forward

>>>>>> (Yep, thankfully he's now fit). <<<<<<

>>>>> (Tracking someone doesn't mean they will work out. He wasn't very good, so didn't. However while he was here we were getting joy from our makeshift strikers Ayew and Lowe) <<<<<<<<

>>>> (Nothing to do with what I think, he isn't a CB, he's a right back that can player there. Big difference.) <<<<<

>>>>> (I think he's correct) <<<<<<

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024