Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ariolla Speaks 22:03 - Apr 29 with 5236 views34dfgdf54

<<Your loan to Swansea was cut short after you reinjured your quad; but even before that, you seemed a bit snakebitten. What did you take away from your time in the Championship? What were your impressions of the league and what did you learn there? >>

It was a good experience, right? You try to take the best out of everything. But it was also very frustrating. It was a frustrating situation. I went on loan obviously really wanting to play and stay in form and help the team get to the Premiership before coming back to D.C. My main goal was just to prove myself over there and get a run of games and try and keep a good form. But it was tough. I can’t lie.

The level was good, I don’t think it was anything different than what you see in MLS. The style of play was a little bit different, the pitches were awful. Every single one of the pitches was awful except Stoke; and I think it plays a huge factor into the Championship, and it’s why teams consistently play direct, and play with big center backs and big No. 9s and five at the back is because of the conditions of the fields – tight pitches. But Swansea itself was a great club. Everyone at the club was amazing, the players, the staff, a really young group of guys. It felt like a family-feel type club. The facilities were great, besides the field.

I think obviously in the end, looking back you want to go somewhere where you feel really wanted. And I’m not quite sure if the manager there really had great intentions of me helping the team or maybe he thought I’d just be an extra number just offering reinforcement at some position. When the opportunity came – as a player, especially one that hadn’t been to Europe, I wanted to go, I had to go, I had really high hopes to do great things over there for the club. And then when you get there and you realize and understand the situation you’re in, you can really only wait for your opportunity. And unfortunately I really didn’t get one. I got a couple of late features in a couple of games but besides that, it ended up being disappointing. I did make great relationships, though and I was able to see what it was like over there – now I know I can play at that level, obviously you see other young Americans doing it at that level and in the Premier League as well. It definitely wasn’t a setback for me and I don’t see it as a failure. Now I’m just focused on turning the page, going forward here and having a great season in D.C. and taking it from there.

<<Throughout your career you’ve expressed a desire to ply your trade in Europe. Did the month or so at Swansea satiate that desire? Or do you feel an even stronger pull to go back knowing that things didn’t work out like you’d have wanted them to?>>

After my experience at Swansea, my attitude is just “go where you’re wanted.” The next time I move, if I ever move from D.C. United, it will be somewhere where I’m truly valued and somewhere where I’m there to make a difference on the team, regardless of country or style of play or anything like that. What it comes down to is whether you’re going to get an opportunity – and then it’s on you. And I’ll always bet on myself to make the most of an opportunity.
Ariolla Speaks on 22:07 - Apr 29 with 2348 views34dfgdf54

https://t.co/TF9GbU6ZuQ

Full link
Ariolla Speaks on 22:08 - Apr 29 with 2344 viewsKeithHaynes

We all knew this. As did he. It was reported on here continuously.
It’s a shame, but to compare Norwich City ( a championship team ) who would walk the MLS by xmas, is sour grapes. The American players Just didn’t have the strength or fitness to do it under championship conditions. That’s why they aren’t in the championship.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Ariolla Speaks on 22:13 - Apr 29 with 2335 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 22:08 - Apr 29 by KeithHaynes

We all knew this. As did he. It was reported on here continuously.
It’s a shame, but to compare Norwich City ( a championship team ) who would walk the MLS by xmas, is sour grapes. The American players Just didn’t have the strength or fitness to do it under championship conditions. That’s why they aren’t in the championship.

Copper made it clear he had no interest in playing him.

Disagree with your last point. I have zero doubts Morris for example would take to this league like a duck to water. Pulisic probably aswell to name one more ;)

Cooper’s times up with us I genuinely believe that
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 22:14]
Ariolla Speaks on 22:19 - Apr 29 with 2321 viewsjack_lord

He said every single one of the pitches was awful (except Stoke).

He knows that this isn't California?

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Ariolla Speaks on 22:24 - Apr 29 with 2308 viewsKeithHaynes

Ariolla Speaks on 22:13 - Apr 29 by 34dfgdf54

Disagree with your last point. I have zero doubts Morris for example would take to this league like a duck to water. Pulisic probably aswell to name one more ;)

Fitness was both of their problems, that was my point 👍

Ariolla Speaks on 22:27 - Apr 29 with 2298 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 22:24 - Apr 29 by KeithHaynes

Fitness was both of their problems, that was my point 👍

You can’t do anything about a snapped knee ligament, that happens. Morris had plenty more minutes in the tank than he was given.

Ariolla’s cardio fitness is apparently outstanding so not buying that with him either. Cooper looked for excuses from day one about not using him.
Ariolla Speaks on 22:29 - Apr 29 with 2296 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 22:13 - Apr 29 by 34dfgdf54

We're about to take part in the play offs, but you think Cooper's time is up!???

Where's he going then?

You can't compare this situation to Pulisic, a top class player who left the USA to play in Europe's top leagues aged 16.

26 yr old Arriola left North America for the first time and joined us from one of the MLS's worst clubs, during his off season, coming off the back of a horrendous injury to be dropped into the covid condensed championship season.

There is no conspiracy here.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Ariolla Speaks on 22:34 - Apr 29 with 2284 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 22:29 - Apr 29 by Chief

We're about to take part in the play offs, but you think Cooper's time is up!???

Where's he going then?

You can't compare this situation to Pulisic, a top class player who left the USA to play in Europe's top leagues aged 16.

26 yr old Arriola left North America for the first time and joined us from one of the MLS's worst clubs, during his off season, coming off the back of a horrendous injury to be dropped into the covid condensed championship season.

There is no conspiracy here.

Yes I think his time is up. He won’t be here next season.

I have no idea, or do I have any interest in where he goes.

You missed the winky face I see, I agree about Pulisic, but MLS players can perform over here as it has been shown. Where did Newcastle sign that Almiron from?

You’re also correct about there being no conspiracy, Cooper never wanted him, never made him feel welcome and had zero interest in playing him. He said himself in that interview.
Login to get fewer ads

Ariolla Speaks on 22:35 - Apr 29 with 2278 viewsjasper_T

Ariolla Speaks on 22:19 - Apr 29 by jack_lord

He said every single one of the pitches was awful (except Stoke).

He knows that this isn't California?

Pretty sure he figured that out, yeah. California's not exactly ideal grass-growing climate either mind.

He's absolutely spot on, most pitches in the EFL this season have been varying degrees of awful and it does impact the style of play managers feel they have to adopt.
Ariolla Speaks on 22:36 - Apr 29 with 2276 viewsKeithHaynes

Ariolla Speaks on 22:27 - Apr 29 by 34dfgdf54

You can’t do anything about a snapped knee ligament, that happens. Morris had plenty more minutes in the tank than he was given.

Ariolla’s cardio fitness is apparently outstanding so not buying that with him either. Cooper looked for excuses from day one about not using him.

Morris hasn’t been properly fit for two years, it was a roll of the dice as far as I can see.

Ariolla Speaks on 22:42 - Apr 29 with 2257 viewsNotLoyal

Ariolla Speaks on 22:36 - Apr 29 by KeithHaynes

Morris hasn’t been properly fit for two years, it was a roll of the dice as far as I can see.

Well at least he is spreading his injuries about. He has everything but his body is knackered.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Ariolla Speaks on 22:48 - Apr 29 with 2249 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 22:34 - Apr 29 by 34dfgdf54

Yes I think his time is up. He won’t be here next season.

I have no idea, or do I have any interest in where he goes.

You missed the winky face I see, I agree about Pulisic, but MLS players can perform over here as it has been shown. Where did Newcastle sign that Almiron from?

You’re also correct about there being no conspiracy, Cooper never wanted him, never made him feel welcome and had zero interest in playing him. He said himself in that interview.

Strange conclusion to come to that Cooper's going from following an interview with a short term loan signing.

No ones said American players can't perform over here, I think Morris had a lot to offer (as did Cooper who played him in every game he was available for while he was here apart from Brentford when we'd had a man sent off). It was a shame he got injured.

Its possible Cooper wasn't fussed on having him. But having had him, if he could have contributed (remember the team was on top form when he was here), i see no logic behind Cooper not playing him purely for that reason. He gave Morris plenty of minutes.

Loan player who wasn't good enough to break into team gives interview and blames everything apart from himself after returning back to parent club. Shock horror.

Ariolla Speaks on 23:33 - Apr 29 with 2193 viewsDr_Parnassus

Ariolla Speaks on 22:48 - Apr 29 by Chief

Strange conclusion to come to that Cooper's going from following an interview with a short term loan signing.

No ones said American players can't perform over here, I think Morris had a lot to offer (as did Cooper who played him in every game he was available for while he was here apart from Brentford when we'd had a man sent off). It was a shame he got injured.

Its possible Cooper wasn't fussed on having him. But having had him, if he could have contributed (remember the team was on top form when he was here), i see no logic behind Cooper not playing him purely for that reason. He gave Morris plenty of minutes.

Loan player who wasn't good enough to break into team gives interview and blames everything apart from himself after returning back to parent club. Shock horror.

My thoughts too. Morris not ousting Ayew or Lowe was completely justified by our results.

He was only here for 5 league games prior to his injury wasn't he? We won 4 of them and drew the other with 10 men away to Brentford. Beating Barnsley and Norwich along the way.

Arriola I always had my doubt about when the DC fan came onto the other site to give his opinion. Said Morris had a chance to make it over here but Arriola was pretty average. I don’t think Cooper wanted either of the Americans here / in terms of it being his choice anyway.

Morris showed he was deserving of minutes upon arrival, and got them as a result. Arriola clearly didn’t. That’s life.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Ariolla Speaks on 07:50 - Apr 30 with 2073 views34dfgdf54

I don't think it's a strange conclusion at all. Cooper has literally had nothing positive to say about the board since Birch left, the relationship isn't good at all in my opinion. He's coming out with things like "he hasn't had a striker all season", when it's clearly not true, putting himself in shop window over and over, he didn't even rule out the Derby job when asked about that!

He didn't give Morris anywhere near enough for me. Ayew and Lowe needed breathers and never got one, we can argue all day about that though and it's been done already, we'll never agree.

As for Ariolla not being able to contribute, I refuse to believe a US international, with 8 goals to his name would not have been better, or at very least be as good as Yan Dhanda has been with his cameos.
Ariolla Speaks on 08:53 - Apr 30 with 2041 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 07:50 - Apr 30 by 34dfgdf54

I don't think it's a strange conclusion at all. Cooper has literally had nothing positive to say about the board since Birch left, the relationship isn't good at all in my opinion. He's coming out with things like "he hasn't had a striker all season", when it's clearly not true, putting himself in shop window over and over, he didn't even rule out the Derby job when asked about that!

He didn't give Morris anywhere near enough for me. Ayew and Lowe needed breathers and never got one, we can argue all day about that though and it's been done already, we'll never agree.

As for Ariolla not being able to contribute, I refuse to believe a US international, with 8 goals to his name would not have been better, or at very least be as good as Yan Dhanda has been with his cameos.

But was he fit and up to speed enough? He was in pre-sesson and hadn't played a game for months due to injury. Dhanda was fully match fit.

Ariolla Speaks on 10:09 - Apr 30 with 2008 viewsCatullus

I'm not disagreeing with anything you say but I don't think Cooper wanted either of them. Morris could have been used more, don't think Arriola was ever really ready. The weather, the heavy pitches, you need a fair bit of time to adjust to those and they were never going to get it.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Ariolla Speaks on 10:44 - Apr 30 with 1987 views34dfgdf54

Ariolla Speaks on 08:53 - Apr 30 by Chief

But was he fit and up to speed enough? He was in pre-sesson and hadn't played a game for months due to injury. Dhanda was fully match fit.

He was fully fit for US national team before he arrived here, did he play the 90?

He was fit enough for more minutes than he had, I also have no doubt he couldn't have been any worse than what Dhanda has shown at times this season, none at all.
Ariolla Speaks on 11:28 - Apr 30 with 1958 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 10:44 - Apr 30 by 34dfgdf54

He was fully fit for US national team before he arrived here, did he play the 90?

He was fit enough for more minutes than he had, I also have no doubt he couldn't have been any worse than what Dhanda has shown at times this season, none at all.

He played 65 minutes in a 7-0 friendly win over Trinidad.

That is absolutely no indicator at that he'd be capable skill wise or fitness wise of handling the rigours of the championship run in.

He also played right wing in that game.

Ariolla Speaks on 12:23 - Apr 30 with 1927 viewsBadlands

Cooper has shown he has his favourites any anyone only gets playing time if situations dictate.
As such Cooper has failed to use his squad effectively.
The notion that an US international is not good enough for a desperately poor Championship league, as some suggest, is just plain daft.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Ariolla Speaks on 12:25 - Apr 30 with 1927 viewsReslovenSwan1

Arriola is 26 and bags of experience. Dikes is 21 or so.

Both had the same level of pre season fitness. Ismael of Barnsley got Dikes on the 'field' and has been rewarded in spades. Dikes coped with lack of experience , lack of match practice, the heavy Covid pitches and was immediately up to the physical nature of the EFL game. Like Arriola he only played minutes for Team USA. In that sense you could argue Ismael has done a better job.

Ismael got Dikes up to speed. I very much doubt Ismael had ever heard of Dikes. Cooper on the other hand did not use Arriola who on paper was more suited to the English league game with a decent goal scoring record.

Cooper is "old school" from the English school. In the first part of the season he would use only 12 players. "I do not care if the players are tired" indicated this.

Cooper likes to select his own players and does appear to trust in Club scouts.

"This is not the way Swansea do things" might be the Winters reply. Matinez accepted Bodde who was recommended by the much maligned Dutch director (great guy). Guidolin accepted Fer who he admittted he had never heard of. Cooper did not accept Arriola it seems. It ould have been very sad if Bodde and Fer had become frustrated on the sidelines.

Swansea have alway brought in players some known to the manager some brought in by the recruitment team. Reruitment teams aligned to managers up and left when the manager walked. This caused chaos and flux when both Martinez and Potter 'upped sticks' mid contract.

The club therefore employed it own separate recruitment team with Ledbeater under HJ and Scott under Winter. The anti HJ brigade say the club started struggling when HJ "declared himself " Head of Football". This never happened from what I can see. Its a myth. He worked with his appointed head of recrutment Ledbeater who kept a low profile.

The risk of overplaying players with three games a week is staleness and fatigue. Swansea have shown clear signs of this struggling for the last two month to match early season performances. Cooper will argue the play off justifies the means and this is valid. Ayew Roberts and Guehi in particular can rest.

The issue of who picks the new signings for 2021-2022 most probably in the Championship is an issue that has not been resolved.

Cooper has a clear record of not selecting the clubs players and showing excessive loyalty to other clubs players he has worked with in the past. A sticking point might come when the club wants to see Benda take over in goal and Mr Cooper insists they bring in Woodman for a third season on loan. Benda is ready and Woodman showed his loyalty to the English club by signing a 3 year contract when down to his last 12 months.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2021 12:31]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Ariolla Speaks on 13:10 - Apr 30 with 1880 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 12:23 - Apr 30 by Badlands

Cooper has shown he has his favourites any anyone only gets playing time if situations dictate.
As such Cooper has failed to use his squad effectively.
The notion that an US international is not good enough for a desperately poor Championship league, as some suggest, is just plain daft.

Who are these supposed favourites then? The goal keeper who's achieved 20 clean sheets this season? The winger playing up front who's scored an impressive 14 goals?

That last sentence is a very silly sweeping statement that takes no notice of the actual reality of the situation. His nationality is of no relevance. If he was fit enough and good enough it wouldn't matter if he'd joined from a club side from the planet jupiter.

Eddie Johnson was a decorated American International striker with 63 caps to his name. During his time in the championship he achieved the grand total of 2 goals in 46 matches at strong clubs. It means absolutely nothing.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2021 13:11]

Ariolla Speaks on 13:22 - Apr 30 with 1856 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 12:25 - Apr 30 by ReslovenSwan1

Arriola is 26 and bags of experience. Dikes is 21 or so.

Both had the same level of pre season fitness. Ismael of Barnsley got Dikes on the 'field' and has been rewarded in spades. Dikes coped with lack of experience , lack of match practice, the heavy Covid pitches and was immediately up to the physical nature of the EFL game. Like Arriola he only played minutes for Team USA. In that sense you could argue Ismael has done a better job.

Ismael got Dikes up to speed. I very much doubt Ismael had ever heard of Dikes. Cooper on the other hand did not use Arriola who on paper was more suited to the English league game with a decent goal scoring record.

Cooper is "old school" from the English school. In the first part of the season he would use only 12 players. "I do not care if the players are tired" indicated this.

Cooper likes to select his own players and does appear to trust in Club scouts.

"This is not the way Swansea do things" might be the Winters reply. Matinez accepted Bodde who was recommended by the much maligned Dutch director (great guy). Guidolin accepted Fer who he admittted he had never heard of. Cooper did not accept Arriola it seems. It ould have been very sad if Bodde and Fer had become frustrated on the sidelines.

Swansea have alway brought in players some known to the manager some brought in by the recruitment team. Reruitment teams aligned to managers up and left when the manager walked. This caused chaos and flux when both Martinez and Potter 'upped sticks' mid contract.

The club therefore employed it own separate recruitment team with Ledbeater under HJ and Scott under Winter. The anti HJ brigade say the club started struggling when HJ "declared himself " Head of Football". This never happened from what I can see. Its a myth. He worked with his appointed head of recrutment Ledbeater who kept a low profile.

The risk of overplaying players with three games a week is staleness and fatigue. Swansea have shown clear signs of this struggling for the last two month to match early season performances. Cooper will argue the play off justifies the means and this is valid. Ayew Roberts and Guehi in particular can rest.

The issue of who picks the new signings for 2021-2022 most probably in the Championship is an issue that has not been resolved.

Cooper has a clear record of not selecting the clubs players and showing excessive loyalty to other clubs players he has worked with in the past. A sticking point might come when the club wants to see Benda take over in goal and Mr Cooper insists they bring in Woodman for a third season on loan. Benda is ready and Woodman showed his loyalty to the English club by signing a 3 year contract when down to his last 12 months.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2021 12:31]

Dikes is patently a better standard than Arriola. Evidenced by the interest in him prior to joining Barnsley and the very hefty reported buy out clause and his record in the American league at a very decent team.

You also neglect to mention Arriolas cruciate ligament rupture which meant that he's only played 21 minutes of MLS action since June 2019!!!!!!

Yet people think we should be plunging him into our championship season! Bonkers.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2021 13:23]

Ariolla Speaks on 14:55 - Apr 30 with 1816 viewsReslovenSwan1

Ariolla Speaks on 13:22 - Apr 30 by Chief

Dikes is patently a better standard than Arriola. Evidenced by the interest in him prior to joining Barnsley and the very hefty reported buy out clause and his record in the American league at a very decent team.

You also neglect to mention Arriolas cruciate ligament rupture which meant that he's only played 21 minutes of MLS action since June 2019!!!!!!

Yet people think we should be plunging him into our championship season! Bonkers.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2021 13:23]

Swansea did the same with Brewster and Gibbs White. Both returning form long term injuries.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Ariolla Speaks on 15:17 - Apr 30 with 1801 viewsChief

Ariolla Speaks on 14:55 - Apr 30 by ReslovenSwan1

Swansea did the same with Brewster and Gibbs White. Both returning form long term injuries.

Brewster wasn't out injured for anywhere near that length of time, nor was it as severe. He'd been training with the Liverpool first team. And it wasn't a condensed championship season with such frequent games.

Gibbs White had a pre - season with Wolves and then continued it with us before playing after again a less serious injury. Even then he ended up getting injured too.

Not comparable.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2021 15:18]

Ariolla Speaks on 15:34 - Apr 30 with 1776 viewsKGriz16

Oh, too good to run into channels chasing pointless balls was he?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024